twist and turn

Twist and Turn
Please log in to read the full chapter

Mina had a feeling she’s different.

 

She’s had a few crushes here and there, boys and girls, but on her recent trip to her hometown, she bumps into a very pretty former schoolmate. They chat for a while and it leaves Mina smiling all the way home with a flutter in her stomach and a fast-beating heart. For a second, she wonders what it would be like to be with her rather than be like her.

 

She knows most of her members tease each other and pretend to swing that way for fan service, but she doesn't seem like she’s pretending.

 

She snaps out of her thoughts when their manager calls for her. Assuming she’s in trouble, she walks nervously but Momo gives her a smile of reassurance that she’s not.

 

A week later, she enters a dance studio from another company and meet five other idols for a special stage performance. One of them catches her eye and makes her heart skip a beat from a single smile.

 

--------

 

Seulgi is actually excited for the upcoming rehearsals in her company’s dance studio and has turned into a one-man welcoming committee. She enters the dance studio an hour early. With the help of her longtime friend Mijoo, the atmosphere immediately turned lively.

 

The last one to enter the studio is someone Seulgi can only describe as graceful and mysterious. She’s intrigued although she’s seen her on TV a couple of times before.

 

‘Competition’ as some would say, the reason why their group was called by their manager to watch the performing girl group on a music show a few months ago. Wendy absentmindedly declares her admiration and receives a glare from one of the staff. Seulgi ignores them when a certain girl on stage with straight brown hair sings the bridge and catches her attention.

 

The same girl introduces herself as Mina.

 

Mijoo elbows Seulgi’s side, almost making her spit the water she is drinking. But before she can scold her friend, she looks at the direction she discreetly points. She is frozen in place because Mina is incredibly gorgeous and she is looking at her with a small smile.

 

--------

 

Practices get more fun by the day. The room is filled with smiles and laughter in between. They go out to dinners and they exchange numbers.

 

Mina stares at her phone before going to sleep, contemplating if she should text Seulgi, the girl who’s been giving her heart a hard time by beating too fast.

 

Nayeon notices and Mina’s first instinct is to deny. But she’s her unnie and although playful is just as reliable. Nayeon places her hand on her shoulder and whispers “you’re not the only one” and “there’s nothing wrong with that” and it gives her enough assurance to accept that she does like girls, and she does like Seulgi.

 

She texts Seulgi a ‘thank you’ for bringing them to her favorite restaurant followed by a ‘good night’. She responds almost immediately with the same words and a ‘see you tomorrow’. Mina’s smile is plastered on her face until she falls into slumber.

 

--------

 

Seulgi comes home from dinner with Mina and the girls only to see her leader asleep on the couch. Irene’s upper body is resting on a pillow but her feet are still on the ground making her wonder if she waited for her. She tiptoes her way knowing that the other girl is a light-sleeper.

 

“Seulgi? Have you eaten? I prepared dinner for you.”

 

The girl gets up and walks toward the kitchen. Even though Seulgi is really full, she appreciates Irene’s efforts and doesn’t have the heart to turn her down. So she follows her to the already set dining table and sits while Irene heats up the food.

 

Irene is obviously sleepy but she tries to keep her lids open as she waits for Seulgi and listens to her talk about rehearsals that day.

 

--------

 

The special stage goes by faster than they expected. The week-long practice seemed like months since the girls have already become close to one another.

 

Mina and Seulgi text all day until they fall asleep. Sometimes, they both wait for their members to fall asleep and sneak out to call on the phone or video chat. None of them dares bring up the question of what they are or what they are doing. But both know that they definitely don’t see each other as just friends.

 

--------

 

Seulgi invites her members to watch Hit the Stage with her on the couch one evening. She sits between Joy and Yeri while Wendy and Irene it on the floor.

 

They watch Mina and Momo’s performance and didn’t expect it to be that intense. Seulgi shifts uncomfortably in her seat, both jealous and impressed, while Wendy looks at her with concern etched on her face.

 

Irene excuses herself to sleep in early and goes to her room. Seulgi doesn't notice the two youngest members glance at each other while Joy coughs nervously and Yeri watches the eldest close and lock the door.

 

--------

 

Mina’s texts become less frequent. Seulgi doesn’t mind it that much because no matter how seldom, Mina always texts her first. She thinks Mina has her reasons. Maybe she’s busy with promotions or they have a packed schedule.

 

Weeks pass and Mina’s texts return to normal. They go back to all day texting and chats all night.

 

Seulgi considers leaving her phone at the dorm to keep it away from her as much as possible while at work. Mina’s affecting her too much and she senses that her members are getting suspicious.

 

Seulgi takes a deep breath and prepares to tell Wendy. She never meant to keep a secret from her friends but for unexplainable reasons, Seulgi’s worried. The more she talks to Mina, the more she feels that she’ll be in trouble.

 

“Wendy, I have something to tell you.”

 

Wendy listens. Listens to Seulgi realizing how she never felt anything towards boys and how she felt everything with Mina. She talks about how Mina makes her heart beat fast and how talking to her makes her happy, too happy.

 

Her best friend nods. Because she’s known for a while now, and she understands, accepts Seulgi for who she is.

 

Seulgi wonders if any of the members know and if Irene knows. As leader, she should have stopped it from the start, with their image and focus kept in mind.

 

Wendy sighs. “I’m sure Irene-unnie knows. I don’t think she’ll interfere with what you’re doing even if that’s what she thinks she should do. I’m sensing her reasons ar

Please log in to read the full chapter