I Feel Like We Can Meet Again if We Return To That Time

Unspoken Words

Jae Jin’s POV

I looked down at the letter which was clutched tightly in my hand with bleary eyes. Everything seems so finalised now; I wasn’t even given a choice to do anything about it.

With a heavy heart, I took out my phone and dialled Nicole’s number. At times like this, I really needed to see her; to have her there beside me.

As predicted, she answered it at the third ring.

“Nicole, let’s go out for dinner tonight. Ask Key along too okay? I’ll see you then.”

I know Ki Bum detest my presence, but he’s the only person I can rely on now.

 

Ki Bum’s POV

I had no idea why suddenly Jae Jin asked me out for dinner that night, together with the both of them. I wanted to decline at first, but as always; I couldn’t say no to Nicole’s pleads.

“Key, you can order anything you want. Everything is on me tonight,” Jae Jin who was sitting on the opposite side of me gave me a friendly smile.

“What about me?” Nicole who was seated beside him pretended to frown.

Jae Jin turned his attention towards her.

“You don’t have to ask, that goes without saying.”

Nicole grinned happily and went back to the menu. I cleared my throat and glanced casually at Jae Jin.

“Why are you suddenly being nice to me?”

“Yah Ki Bum, why did you ask that kind of question?” Nicole raised an eyebrow at me. “Isn’t Jae Jin always nice to you?”

Of course she would defend her boyfriend, and her best friend has to take the back seat.

“It was just a question,” I replied as I took a sip of my drink. “He doesn’t have to answer it.”

“Hey, it’s okay. And Key, I just feel like I don’t really know you even though you and Nicole are really close friends...”

“Best friends,” I interrupted.

“Okay, best friends. So I thought by asking you out tonight, we could talk more and get to know each other better,” he finished.

I scoffed at his statement. I know I was being rude, but my emotions just got the better of me.

“You already have the girl. You don’t have to know the best friend.”

Nicole’s eyes flashed at me.

“What is wrong with you?” she demanded. “Why are you behaving this way?”

“Can’t you see it? He’s got in between us and now he’s making us fight.”

Nicole was quiet for awhile. Jae Jin looked back and forth at us anxiously.

“Hey, let’s not fight. We came here to have a nice dinner right? And I’m sorry for making you feel that way Key. I didn’t mean anything.”

Before I had the chance to say anything, Nicole beat me to it.

“The only thing I see here is Key; you’re the one who’s causing us to drift apart. You’ve changed; it’s like I don’t you anymore. So please, don’t blame others for your own mistake,” she said coldly.

I stared at her open-mouthed. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. I was the one who had changed? When she was the one who had started to spend all her free time with him and forget about my existence. Though I know that wasn’t exactly true, I couldn’t help feeling hurt.

Nicole has never talked to me in that kind of tone before, she has always been gentle with me; with a smile plastered on her face. But now, that smile has been completely erased from her beautiful face; replaced with an angry frown.

I stood up abruptly and the chair gave a loud screeched. We were getting curious stares now but I didn’t care. I couldn’t be in that room now, or anywhere near the both of them for that matter.

“You know Jung Nicole, I give up. You’ve never heard me say this before right? I give up.”

And with that, I left the restaurant without throwing back a glance.

I give up.

I don’t know in what way she understands it, but I meant; I give up trying to make sense of my feelings. Things just won’t work my way, why should I keep on trying?

She has Jae Jin, she doesn’t need me anymore.

 

Jae Jin’s POV

I watched helplessly as Key walked out of the restaurant without saying another word. I didn’t plan for things to end this way; all I wanted was to have a decent meal with Nicole and Key.

I don’t know what I did to make Key harbour such hatred for me.

But then he was right. I came in between him and Nicole.

 And I am also aware, of his feelings for her. He loves her so much, more than just a mere love between two best friends. I can see it, from the way he stares at her while she talks or when his face lit up whenever Nicole was with him.

He can’t fool me; I’ve noticed it every time both of them are together.

Nicole is the only one oblivious to the whole thing.

I can tell her the truth; I can tell her how much Key loves her. I can promise her Key will take very good care of her.

But how can I, when I feel the same way too? When I feel like I’m the happiest guy alive every time I see Nicole smiling beautifully at me? When I know, she means the world to me.

“I think we should go home now. I’ve lost my appetite,” Nicole suddenly spoke up.

“Hmm? Oh, okay. I’ll take you home now.”

“I’m sorry about this. It’s just that, he made me so angry,” she said softly.

 I gave her an assuring smile.

“Don’t worry about it okay? It wasn’t your fault,” I patted her hand.

Neither was it Ki Bum’s fault, I thought to myself.

His last words were still ringing in my ears.

Key, please. Don’t give up now.