008

My Home

It’s 6:50 on her clock. Before they parted that afternoon, Jinki had told her he will leave before 7pm just as how they agreed upon. So now, Hannah was waiting in her car just few meters away from the entrance. A white van which she believed was Jinki’s service van was parked in front of hers. Another black car was parked at the other side of the road. It was probably his.

“Jeez, what were you thinking when you agreed on this?” She didn’t know if it was already a habit or what but she seemed to be always out of her mind whenever Jinki was around. Hours after their conversation ended, Hannah started wondering why she let it settle just like that. She should be solely owning the house, but now it turned out she’ll be having it alongside Lee Jinki.

While she was in deep thought, a tall man went out carrying a huge travel bag. Short after then, Jinki appeared with a handbag. He was in different clothes as he was wearing when they talked a while ago but he seemed to be wearing the same cap. Hannah knew Jinki was aware of her presence although he didn’t look her way. Somehow, the idea hit her and she felt her own heartbeat.

After all, Jinki is a star.

A minute later, the van took off and it immediately disappeared on the road. It looked like Jinki was going somewhere far, and he might be away for quite a while. She was not sure, though. He didn’t say anything.

Knowing that he was gone, Hannah decided it’s time to have the house all by herself – for the first time in 2 years. She won’t be sleeping there tonight as she didn’t have the time to pack her things back in her old place. She won’t be leaving her other unit entirely though, she still needed a place to stay during the morning when the house was Jinki’s.

As if it was a house not familiar to her, Hannah gently opened the gate and peeped it. She had been there yesterday with her lawyer and she was already aware the house had changed a lot already. But it still had the same homey feel. Some interiors were kept very well though. She was surprised that the wooden table her father bought all the way from Busan was still there. Hannah had to admit Jinki did a great job mixing in a taste of modern interior to their traditional house and still kept the gentleness of the vibe. Now that she was looking at the house by herself, she had recognized it and felt familiar of it.

“Who are you?” Suddenly, a group of three girls talked behind her making her jump as she looked their way. She unconsciously left the gate open causing these girls to barge in. “What are you doing in Jinki-oppa’s house?”

“Ah..” She stuttered for a second, what’s the best alibi? “Ah… I just happen to…”

“Are you a stalker?” One of them spoke as she crossed her arms. She looked at Hannah from head to toe.

“Oh, no- no-“

“I never see her around. I don’t think she is.” Another girl spoke. By the looks of it, it actually seemed like these three girls were the stalkers.

“She might be a burglar.” One of them uttered and they looked at each other before throwing hard glances at Hannah. “You thief!” As if on cue, they each took their phones and shot photos of her.

“Oh, no, no, please, it’s a misunderstanding!” Hannah waved her hands in defense and tried hiding her face.

“Then who are you, ?” They asked, still taking pictures.

“I’m – I’m… I’m the owner of this house!” She said but they only laughed at her, calling her a liar and other names.

“This is Onew-oppa’s house! What are you saying?! Are you planning to steal something from this luxurious house? Well unlucky you, !”

Suddenly, one girl grabbed her arms and she was alerted by it. “Don’t touch me!” Hannah screamed, but it didn’t help as the 2nd girl started grabbing on her hair. “Stop! You’re hurting me!”

“You deserve it! We’re going to kick you out of here and call the police to get you, you criminal!”

I have no choice! “I’m his sibling!” She shouted, completely freezing the mean girls this time. “Yes, right, I’m his dongsaeng!”

“Sibling?!” They stopped harassing her and were caught by what she just revealed. “Onew-oppa is an only child!” One of them shouted and accused her of lying. They started crowding onto her again until a familiar voice stopped them.

“What’s happening here?!” Jinki exclaimed announcing his entrance. He was standing at the front gate, his face both confused and disturbed by the sight that welcomed him.

“Oppa!” Hannah shouted, surprising him even more this time. She ran towards him and clung her arms on him. Hannah looked straight into his eyes and she kept wiggling her eyebrows. Onew kept finding it weird until she talked. “Are you surprised to see me, oppa?” She asked.

“Oh, jagi-“

“Dong!.... saeng…” Hannah corrected him right away when she felt like he was going to say ‘jagiya’.

“Onew-oppa… is it true?”

“Oh?”

“Is it true that she is your younger sister?” One of the girls asked. Hannah pulled his shirt, signaling him to speak up. Thankfully, Onew was quick enough to get what is happening.

“Oh, this kid?” He laughed nervously as he messed with her hair. “Gosh, you surprised me, you didn’t tell me you’re going home.” He spieled and then he looked at the girls with an arm around her shoulder now, as if they’re real siblings. “I’m sorry I lied about not having a sibling. My parents were afraid she’ll be exposed to the public and gain a lot of attention. We didn’t want her to lose focus on school.”

“So… it’s true?”

“But… they do look alike.” Another girl affirmed. “We thought you were an only child all along.”

“She basically grew up in Canada. You know I have relatives living there, right? Like I said, we didn’t want the public to pay so much attention to her. She’s pretty, but she never had any intention to go the same field as mine, so we just kept mummed about her.”

“I see.” All three girls nodded, one of them even agreeing that she is indeed pretty.

“But….” It was Onew’s turn to question them this time. “What are you guys doing at our house?” He was smiling although there was a hint of suspicion on his face. Suddenly, the girls remembered that they were the one who were actually trying to invade his house.

“Oh, yeah, let’s go, girls, Sorry, Onew-oppa!” They exclaimed and rushed out of the gate.

Once they’re gone, Hannah sighed in relief. She felt her knees shaking. She was so nervous just a while ago dealing with those girls. Good thing Jinki arrived.

“What was that?” Jinki asked afterwards, going back to being confused.

“I’m sorry, I had nothing to do. I had to lie or else they will think that I’m stealing something from here.”

“Well, I think that’s better than saying you’re my sibling. You gave them reason to dig into your life. At least if you told them you’re stealing something then you just need to fight them out and then you get away with it. Now you have to deal with articles about you being my secret sibling and all.” He sighed as he shook his head. “And you really chose sibling out of all relationships we could have.”

“Excuse me?”

“I don’t know.” Jinki raised his hands in defeat. “I just went back coz I left something. I’ll be in Japan for quite some time. So if something comes up, you’ll have to handle that alone.” He shook his head while chuckling a bit. He found that situation really funny.

“Hey…”

“Jeez, my dongsaeng, you take care of the house, okay?” Jinki said before leaving again.

He called her dongsaeng, but for some reason, him calling her “my” made her heart skipped a bit.