007

My Home

“It was probably just a dream.” Hannah sat on her bed the next morning when she woke up. The first thing that came to her mind was the what happened last night. “It couldn’t be true.” She thought but finally sighed and shook her head when she realized she was not dreaming.

Yes, he was rude, but Hannah still felt like slapping him was a good thing to do. She thought maybe it would be better to talk to him about it or argue back the most but hurting him seemed like she over-defended herself making it rather obvious that she really liked him. But what was done had already been done, and there was nothing else to do to erase whatever embarrassment she caused last night.

But the fact that she would need to see him again remained and now she had no idea how to face him.

Should she give up the house then? No – never in her life. That home was where her parents’ memories remained. She wouldn’t give it up for the world. So yeah, she would eventually need to face him again. “Let’s just stick to it, Hannah. Let’s keep it that way.” She told herself and decided she would be whatever she had already introduced to him – a cold, mean, young woman.

Shrugging it off, Hannah rose from her bed and took a bath. There are several other things she needed to attend to aside from the house she must retrieve. Since she would be settling in South Korea already, Hannah decided to put up a small business as a startup as she had quitted her work back in Canada. She had so much love for desserts and everything sweets so she bought a space just few blocks away from Minho and Yeojin’s Pasta House and the construction had started weeks before she arrived.

Today, Hannah was scheduled for her baking class. She already hired a pastry chef that would facilitate the menu but she wanted to learn on her own and eventually include a dessert using her own recipe.

“It’s been just a week but you’ve shown so much improvement.” The instructor praised as she presented her dessert for the day. She smiled in delight. “You really love baking.”

“I do.” She replied while admiring her work. “I only discovered it lately, but I never felt this so much happiness accomplishing something.”

“That’s good to hear.”

They were in the middle of discussing when her phone rang. She excused and answered the call. It was from an unknown number. “Hello?”

“Ms Bae?”

“Yes, who is this?”

“This is Lee Jinki.” The person on the other line introduced himself and Hannah’s eyes widened in surprise. The instructor who was in front of her got confused and smiled mouthing the question ‘who is it?’ inaudibly.  

“Oh.” That was the only word she uttered. It was unexpected and she was obviously not prepared for that.

“Do you have some time? Where can I pick you up?”

“I’m at the Baking school…” Without second thoughts, she gave out the address.

“I’ll pick you up then. Are you done?”

“I think we are.”

“Okay, see you.”

“Okay, bye…” Then she hanged up.

“Is that your boyfriend?” The instructor, who was smiling widely, asked.

“Oh no, no…” Hanah denied but rather seemed like she was at the state of shock. She stared at her phone, contemplating about who just called her.

“Then, a friend?” She also shook her head. “A relative?” Again, she shook her head. “Then who is he?”

“Did I just give him this address?” She asked instead of answering the instructor’s question. Quite hesitant, the latter nodded. “Jeez, I really must be out of my mind.”

She was lost at the moment. She was not thinking straight when she just told him where she was at that moment. “Did I sound like I was asking him to pick me up?” Hannah can’t help but asked. She was so worried.

“He asked where you were and you only answered, right?” The instructor replied, trying to appease her to which Hannah nodded while staring at the space still in the state of shock. “There’s nothing wrong then.”

“Right. But I should get going.” Back in her senses, Hannah started removing her kitchen gloves and her apron. She thought she needed to leave the place before Jinki arrived, or if he really meant going. “See you next week.” She smiled at the lady and then walked out.

However, as if the guy went there in a flash, she saw a car parked outside the place just beside where her car was. When she paid attention to the specific car, the door opened, and a guy in pink cap, white shirt and gray cargo shorts went out of the vehicle.

She felt her heart jumped upon seeing him, but she held it in.

And then he smiled and waved a bit towards her direction. She didn’t know if she was frozen or she just didn’t want to go to him right away. Jinki waited for a short while and decided to go to her.

“You’re baking?” He asked the moment he got closer. She only nodded – not sure if she was acting cold towards him or she was just plain speechless. “That’s nice.”

“Why are you here?” Hannah asked flatly, gaining a short frown from him and then he smiled apologetically again.

“I know I gave out a bad first impression.” He told her. “I wanted to apologize…” Jinki looked around and lowered his cap a bit. “Is it okay if we talk somewhere else?”

In which she understood. Jinki was in the prime of his career. She was certain anyone would notice him right away, and it was normal for him to be cautious. On her part as well, it would be very inconvenient to have a scandal with this star.

“Tell me the place.” She said and started walking towards her car.

“I’ll take you.” He insisted and unconsciously grabbed her wrist to stop her. “I’m sorry.” Jinki immediately let go when he realized what he did – scared of paparazzi and of course, her reaction.

“I’ll choose the place then, you just go ahead and follow.” Hannah answered back and looked around. “You don’t want a scandal of an unknown woman entering your car in this broad daylight.” She then turned her back on him and walked to her car.

Jinki looked down on the ground and smiled while shaking his head. “This is going to be so tough.” He told himself before going back to his car.

“Good job, Bae Hannah.” She whispered and felt a bit victorious on what she just did. She was able to resist him.