나의 잠에서 방해하는 악몽 (Nightmare that Always Haunts My Sleeps)

나의 반쪽이야 (Half of Me)

== PROLOGUE ==

For more than thousand times I told myself that it was only a dream, only a nightmare that always haunts my sleeps, but I can’t help but I should take it as real. But how I can accept it? Even for a bit, I’d never thought that it would turn to be something that would hurt me so deep like this.

(May 14th, 2017)

 

== CHAPTER 5 ==

            “Jeogiyo [Excuse me], can’t you let me meet the Princess?” ask Ki Hyun to the royal guards at the main gate to the palace.

            “Nugushipsio [Who are you]?” asked the royal guard.

            “I am her husband,” answer Ki Hyun.

            The royal guard prevents Ki Hyun to enter the palace.

            “You can’t meet the Princess and don’t lie about you being her husband,”

            “The Princess who just came back to the palace is really my wife and our childrens wants to meet with their mother, so please let me meet the Princess,”

            “How dare you!”

            “Buthakhamnidai [I beg you], our childrens are sick and they wants to meet with their mother,”

            “Museun soriya [What are you talking about]?”

            “Gongju--- [The Princess---],”

            General Lee heard the commotion at the main gate and he’d check about what is going. After seeing that Ki Hyun who made the commotion, General Lee immediately reports to the Crown Prince.

            “Seja Joha [Crown Prince], at the main gate, Yoo Ki Hyun asked to meet with the Princess,”

            “Let him in and let him meet me,”

            “Ye, Joha [Yes, Your Highness],”

            General Lee with Eunuch Kim heads to the main gate.

            “Meomchwora [Cut it off]!” said General Lee.

            “General…”

            The royal guads greets General Lee.

            “Yoo Ki Hyun-sshi, the Crown Prince wants to meet you,” said Eunuch Kim.

            “Seja Joha [Crown Prince]?” asked Ki Hyun.

            He doesn’t believe that the Crown Prince would like to meet him. He is even didn’t know the Crown Prince face would be like.

            “I’ll you to his quarters,” said Eunuch Kim.

            Eunuch Kim and General Lee escorts Ki Hyun to the Crown Prince’s quarters. After reach the Crown Prince’s quarters, Eunuch Kim goes inside the quarters to inform the Crown Prince about Ki Hyun’s arrival.

            “Yoo Ki Hyun-ssi is outside the quarters,” said Eunuch Kim.

            “Let him in,” said the Crown Prince.

            “Ye, Joha [Yes, Your Highness],”

            Eunuch Kim tells Ki Hyun to go inside the quarters.

            “Deureogashipsio [Come in],” said Eunuch Kim.

            Eunuch Kim brought Ki Hyun to the inside the quarters and led him to the Crown Prince’s room. As they reach the Crown Prince room, there’s the Crown Prince who waits for Ki Hyun and only shows Ki Hyun the back side of him.

            “Seja Joha [Crown Prince], he is here,” said Eunuch Kim.

            Ki Hyun doesn’t know what to do and he still doesn’t gasp the situation. Until the Crown Prince turns his body and show his face to him.

            “Min Hyuk-a…”

            As he seen the Crown Prince’s face, the words that only came out of his mouth is that name, the Crown Prince’s real name.

            “How dare you!” said Eunuch Kim.

            “Leave us here,”

            The Crown Prince orders Eunuch Kim to leave him with Ki Hyun. Meanwhile, Ki Hyun still doesn’t believe about what happen right before his eyes. The best friend that he knows is the Crown Prince and he never knows about that.

            “Ki Hyun-a…”

            The Crown Prince greets his best friend warmly with the smile that he always shows. The cheerful smile and the warm smile like usual, when they met outside as friends.

            “Why did you never tell me that you are Crown Prince?” asked Ki Hyun.

            “Because we can’t be friend if you known my real identity,” answer the Crown Prince.

            “Joesonghamnida, Seja Joha [Forgive me, Crown Prince], because I didn’t recognize you,”

            Ki Hyun kneels down.

            “Gwaenchanha [It’s fine],” said the Crown Prince.

            As he knows that Min Hyuk, his best friend is the Crown Prince, Ki Hyun thinks that it maybe the chance to let him meets the Ji Hyeon.

            “Why did you come here?” asked the Crown Prince.

            “Our triplets are sick and they wants to meet with their mother, so I came here to let Ji--- no, the Princess knows that her childrens are sick,”

            “Geuraettguna [So that’s why],”

            “Joesonghamnida [Forgive me], but can you do me a favor?”

            “Mwo ittnya [What is it]?”

            “Can you tell the Princess that her childrens are sick and wants to meets her? Buthakhamnida, Joha [I beg you, Your Highness],”

            “Mianhada, chinguya [I am sorry, my friend], but I can’t fulfill your favor,”

            “W-why?”

            “Because there’s no more hope that you can meet with Ji Hyeon again,”

            Ki Hyun seems shocked as he heard what the Crown Prince’s said.

            “But her childrens---“

            “She can’t take you as her husband again and your childrens with you as her childrens. Your relationship with her already meets an end since she’s caming back to the palace. She’s no longer your wife and no longer the mother of your childrens. As she came back to the palace, she’s no longer a mere petty nobleman’s wife and she is the Princess who supposed to marry the Crown Prince,”

            “MWO [WHAT]?!”

            “Do you know the reason why suddenly the King given her an order to come back to the palace? It was because she supposed to be the Crown Princess,”

            “Did you say that she would marry you?”

            “Yes,”

            “B-but how about our childrens? They’re sick and needs their mother now,”

            “You can’t meet her again,”

            “I can’t meet her again but please let our childrens meet her just once,”

            “I’ll give you 2 choices. You and your childrens can stay safe in Hanseong OR never meet Ji Hyeon again forever,”

            “What do you mean?”

            “It means that if still insisted to meet Ji Hyeon, then you and your childrens will be exiled from this country and you can never be come back to this country forever,”

            Such difficult choices, he wants to stay still at Hanseong so that although he or his childrens can’t meet Ji Hyeon but at least they’re still living at the same city. Maybe someday they can bump into each other accidentally, although it would be really hurt for him and his children to accept the fact that Ji Hyeon married to a man that he knows as his best friend.

            Meanwhile, at Ji Hyeon’s quarters, as she heard about Ki Hyun go to the palace to meet her. She wants to meet Ki Hyun, but Lady Song and General Im blocked her way.

            “Joesonghamnida, Mama [Forgive me, Your Highness], but you can’t see him,” said Lady Song.

            “Why?” asked Ji Hyeon.

            “Yoo Ki Hyun-sshi meets the Crown Prince earlier and General Lee already sent him out of the palace,” answer General Im.

            “No, I should see him,” said Ji Hyeon.

            General Im blocked her way.

            “Andoemnida, Mama [You can’t, Your Highness],”

            “Bikhyeora [Get of out my way]!”

            Ji Hyeon looked at General Im’s eyes. She begged to General Im, but General Im can’t do anything either than to do his duty as her personal guard also he should obey the King’s order.

            “If you insisted to see him like this, it would only put him and your childrens in the danger,” said General Im.

            “Geuraedo--- [But still---],”

            “Andoemnida, Gongju [You can’t, Princess],”

            The Crown Prince appears to stop Ji Hyeon.

            “Seja Joha [Crown Prince],”

            General Im, Lady Song and another maid greets the Crown Prince, except Ji Hyeon.

            “You should come back to your room, right now,” said the Crown Prince.

            Ji Hyeon only looked at him with angry eyes.

            “It’s an order!!!,” said the Crown Prince.

            “Gongju Mama [Your Highness],”

            Lady Song tried to bring Ji Hyeon back to her room. As Ji Hyeon back to her room, the Crown Prince goes inside to her room to talk.

            “Why did you do that?” asked Ji Hyeon.

            “Ji Hyeon-a…”

            “He is YOUR best friend,”

            “I have no choice,”

            Ji Hyeon really angry and disappointed at the same time to the Crown Prince because his cold-hearted manner towards his best friend.

            “I didn’t know that you would be this selfish,”

            “Gongju [Princess]!”

            “You heard it by yourself that our childrens are sick. They’re my childrens, they are only 2 years old and they still needs their mother when they sick and you even can’t help me to meet my sick children. Why did you be this merciless?”

            “Did you forget about the King’s order? If you still insisted to meet him or your childrens, then you’ll only put them in danger. They would be punished as the traitor. Can you handle that? They’re innocent but they got severe punishment as they committed treason,”

            “Just punish me. I’ll take their place,”

            “Gongju [Princess]!”

            “Buthakhamnida [I beg you],”

            “Don’t you understand that? I only tried to protect you and yours beloved as the man who loves you,”

            “Should I believe that when you even this merciless?”

            The Crown Prince only looked at Ji Hyeon.

            “Just never let the King knows about today if you still want to protect Ki Hyun and your childrens. I’ll send the trusted physician to check on your sick childrens. They’ll be fine,”

***

 

            As she can’t do anything about the marriage that would be held soon, Ji Hyeon only sits at the pavilion while look at the pond with empty gaze.

            “What are you doing here alone?”

            The voice that she knows well brought her mind back. It’s Ha Ni, her twin sister.

            “Eonni [Sist]…” greets Ah Jin.

            “Why you looked so down? Does something disturb you?” asked Ha Ni.

            “Gwaenchanha [I am fine],” answer Ji Hyeon.

            “Mwonga gwaenchanha [What do you mean that you are fine]? You even look at the pond with empty gazes like that, it’s clear enough that something really bother your mind,” said Ah Jin.

            Ji Hyeon only smile, a bitter smile.

            “Are you worrying about your marriage? Or… your family?” asked Ha Ni.

            “Dulda [Both],” answer Ji Hyeon. “As you know that I really doesn’t want this marriage, but I can’t do anything about that. Also, I am worried that something might happen to my family,”

            “I can’t said that I can feel how’s your feeling might be right now. But I only can give you some advises. Hope you can understand that I only can support you as your sister, because I can’t do anything either. This marriage is an order from the King, no one can disobey this order, you know well about that too more than us. So, there’s no choice but to marry the Crown Prince,”

            Ha Ni tried to persuade Ji Hyeon as the neutral person.

            “I can’t say that I know how much you loved your husband and your childrens too, but I can see that they’re your everythings, they are your world and they are the reason for you to live. But now, you can’t do anything but to protect them. Although you can’t meet them again, although it hurts you so much and hurts them so much too, but at least they’re still alive. You can still receive any news about how they’re doing, how their condition. You still can be with them although you lives here and they are lived out of there,”

            “Ha Ni Eonni is right. I think so too. Although I want to against this marriage and hope for you and your family can be happy, but I can’t be that much help too since I had no power, I had no position that as strong as the King to against this. I really want to see you to be happy, but I never imagined this kind of fate can happen,”

            Ha Ni and Ah Jin support her sister.

            “We’ll help you to give you information about your family out there. I’ll send someone to keep update about them in secret,” said Ha Ni.

            “Right, we’ll definitely help you,” said Ah Jin.

            “Gomawo, jeongmal gomawo [Thanks, thank you so much],” said Ji Hyeon.

            Ha Ni and Ah Jin hugged Ji Hyeon.

***

 

            Today, the 22nd day of November supposed to be a special day that Ji Hyeon always celebrates with her small family a few years ago. Today supposed to be her special person, Ki Hyun’s birthday. But today she only sits at her room while some maids do the make up and prepare for her wedding gown. Usually, the brides always anticipated their wedding days with bright smile that can make them more beautiful. But, it’s different case for Ji Hyeon, there’s no smile and happiness on her face at her wedding day. She even didn’t say anything. Unconsciously, the tears fallen down from her eyes.

            “Gongju Mama [Princess], the bride can’t cried on her wedding because it will bring the bad luck,” said Lady Song.

            Lady Song tried to wipe her tears and do the make up for her again.

            “It’s all done,” said Lady Song.

            The make up already done and now the maids help her to wear her wedding gown.

            “Neomu areumdaumnida [So beautiful],” said Lady Song while looking at Ji Hyeon.

            Ji Hyeon still didn’t say anything and even her expression still shown that she’s not in a good condition.

            “I’ll inform the Eunuch to tell everyone that the bride is ready,” said Lady Song.

            Lady Song and the maids leave Ji Hyeon alone in her room. She only stares at the mirror. She finds that she’s disgusting already by wearing such glamour wedding gown. She even still had a thought that it was only a nightmare that always haunts her everynight in her sleeps.

            “Gongju Mama [Your Highness],”

            The voice that she knows brought her mind back and she should face this painful fact.

            “May I come in?” ask the voice out there.

            “Deureoga [Come in],” said Ji Hyeon.

            The voice owner shows his face and come in to Ji Hyeon’s room.

            “I already sent my men to protect your family. They’re talented students from my father’s martial arts academy. So, you don’t need to worry,”

            “Chang Kyun-a…”

            General Im startled because Ji Hyeon called him with his name.

            “Can’t you help me to get out of here?”

            “Gongju Mama [Your Highness],”

            “You are my friends and you---,”

            “Ji Hyeon-a…”

            General Im also called her with her name, as usual like when they’re befriends at their childhood period.

            “If I can help you, then I can do anything to help you. But this time, I should protect you and your family. So please do the same, you should protect your family too. Don’t you want to make sure that they’re safe and sound?”

            “But---,”

            “It’s not that I don’t want to help you. But I just want everyone to be safe and sound too,”

            The tears fallen down from her eyes again.

            “I believe you can handle it, because you’re Lee Ji Hyeon. I know it would be really hurt, but I believe you can face it. So, don’t cry, I’ll always be by your side,” said General Im while wipes her tears.

            Beside Ha Ni and Ah Jin, General Im also lends a hand to help Ji Hyeon and her family. It’s all because they’re a good friend since they were little.

            “Gongju Mama [Your Highness],”

            Lady Song came back and come into Ji Hyeon’s room. She was startled because General Im also there too.

            “What is General Im---,”

            “I told him to come here,”

            “Gongju Mama [Your Highness], the preparation already done and the wedding ceremony would be start in a while. I’ll you to the Royal Hall,”

            As Ji Hyeon heard what Lady Song’s said, she looked at General Im. General Im only looked at her, gave her a smile and nodded to her.

            “General Im would me to Royal Hall too,”

            “But the General---,”

            “It’s an order!”

            General Im, Lady Song and some maids escorts Ji Hyeon to the Royal Hall. As she walks to the Royal Hall, the step by step that she taken bring her memories with Ki Hyun. She tried to hold her tears as much as she can. Although it hurts her to death, but she can’t do anything but to protects Ki Hyun and their childrens.

            “The bride is arrived…” announce Eunuch Kim.

 

To be continued…