Six

This ain't no Ordinary Romance, 'cause we ain't no Ordinary People
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yes, I said I was going to fix it. 

 

Honestly, I was determined to.

 

But what I didn't imagine was Kyungsoo's abrupt and borderline rude departure just a few minutes after I entered the restaurant. I had barely settled into my seat next to Jongin, opposite Kyungsoo, asking the pair what they had been upto in my absence. It all seemed normal as Jongin beamed at me and began summarizing their past conversations when Do Kyungsoo suddenly got up from his seat talking about an urgent phone call and excused himself making his way to the nearest exit.

 

 

"Listen, I don't think this is working. I know you guys go way back and you know him well but honestly, anyone can tell I make him uncomfortable, Jongdae. I don't think he likes me at all." Jongin clearly seemed to be losing hope. "The worst part is that my heart keeps pulling me towards him. I don't know why. But every single time he pushes me away something breaks inside of me so bad it physically hurts." His hand splayed over his chest, unconsciously rubbing the region. "This is  man. I've never felt this way before. This is so bad. I'm so confused."

I didn't know what to say. Or do. The once confident and charming guy with a devilish smirk was now disheveled, traumatized and at the brink of breaking down in a crowded restaurant. His agony, contagious and radiating through his skin, hitting me like darts. There were so many things I could say right now to make it okay for him but honestly, it just felt like it wasn't my place. Like I shouldn't be that person. Something was wrong. Something was missing. This shouldn't be happening and the only person who should be sitting here, making this right was Do-ing-Kyungsoo. That jerk needs to get his back in here right now.

"Hold on. Stay right here. I'll be back in ten", I blurted, making my way to the exit. "Trust me." I mouthed at a very puzzled looking Jongin as the restaurant door closed behind me. 

 

 

It was raining cats and dogs outside. Kyungsoo couldn't have made it very far in this weather. In fact I was pretty sure he'd be right around the corner somewhere. I scanned the street and pretty soon, knew just exactly where.

 

 

"Yah, Sekiya! We need to talk." I couldn't be less bothered by the judgemental looks that followed my loud and dramatic entrance into the convenience store where the egghead was gorging on his instant rameyeon next to the glass window at the farthest end.

"How did you know I was here?" Kyungsoo stared at me wide-eyed, one hand holding chopsticks mid-air, two and a half strand of noodles hanging down his gapping jaw.

"After all these years I can distinctly spot you from half a ing mile. Besides, with your appetite I know well enough you are physically incapable of skipping a meal. Just looked for the nearest and cheapest food store. , swallow. You're drooling." People were still staring as I settled in the seat next to Kyungsoo. 

He gulped down the remaining rameyeon at lightening speed. "Now you can speak", he declared after a particularly loud and smelly burp in my face that I am pretty sure was on purpose.

"How are you not in a wildlife sanctuary already?" I winced fanning the air between our faces.

"That's because-"

"Why did you withdraw your hand when Jongin tried to reach for it?"  

The rustic was seemingly caught off-guard if his dumbfounded expression was anything to go by. "I don't know what-"

"Like hell you do."  

Kyungsoo winced at my brashness. "He is Baekhyun's-"

"We both know Baekhyun doesn't give two flying s."

"I just broke up I'm-"

"You didn't even love that Park Chanyeol guy, Do Kyungsoo stop making excuses!"

After a few beats of silence I sighed exasperatedly before trying again. "Why are you holding back, Soo? Don't lie, don't play dumb, don't try to change the topic and don't ing dare tell me to mind my own business, 'cause no, I won't. Just explain while I ask nicely. Don't make me ask twice."

He huffed, staring out of the window, Little kids were happily dancing in the rain in the sidewalk. I could see Kyungsoo's expressions soften as he quietly watched them.

I patiently waited for him to warm up before he spills his guts. 

His gaze was fixed on the outside as he spoke, "The ancient scriptures have it written in the ink of fate and destiny, "In our world our spirits exist in pairs. Apart, we are half of a being. Together, our existence is complete. As soulmates we live. As soulmates we die." It's both a blessing and a curse, don't you think Dae Dae?"

It wasn't really a question. I kept mum, waiting for him to continue.

He turned around and looked at me dead in the eyes. "I'm scared, Jongdae." His pitch black orbs flickered in the dim lighting of the store, baring his soul to me. He looked the most vulnerable I had seen him in years. "All these years I've only dated people I was sure weren't my soulmate. It's easy when there's mutual understanding that we'd fool around as long as it's fun and then part ways. You know I was never really into any of them. I just wanted it to be a fun ride and end quickly so that I can move on to the next. No drama. No jealousy. No pain. No anger or resentment. Smooth and satisfying all the way till the end. The safest way. No heartbreaks, guaranteed."

I nodded in agreement.

He gave me a look that begged me to put two and two together without him having to word it.

When it clicked..... "."

"You're not making it any better, Jongdae!" He sighed heavily, letting his head drop on the table in a soft thud.

"You're an idiot."

"Tell me something I don't know."

"So you're telling that you lack the balls to breathe the same air as Kim Jongin because you think he might actually be your soulmate?"

"No, I'm telling you I'm busting my nuts here because I want him to be, but what if he isn't?"

"That's-.... " I need a moment. " 'Idiot' is

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter