The Seventh Coincidence

Fire
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

7th

For the remaining weekends, Jackson thinks it is a great idea to do a sleepover at Mark’s place. So there his weekend goes, lazing around with Jackson and Coco, eating overly greasy take out, finishing his secret stash of ice cream, while watching a marathon of ‘Pokémon the Movie’ on the paid-per-view channel. He feels too old for this kind of , mentally shaking his head at every mindless activities they choose to do next. Only Jackson could do that, distract him to the point he doesn’t even remember what their problem at the first place. Something that Jackson does so well for the other, but can’t implement for himself. Jackson really needs to act upon his words of advice for himself first, before go around nagging people to stop this and that. His friend, is too selfless, and on one too many occasion Mark glad for this fact.

Exactly two days and a half, both of them locked themselves in Mark’s apartment. Doing all sort of comfort activity and eating all sort of comfort food. When Monday evening rolling in, Jackson announced that if he is staying any longer there, he might as well ruined his months and months of progress in his gym result. Which is completely bull for Mark, since his friend always looks so ripped all the time. With a final slobbery smooch to Mark’s cheek, Jackson walks out of his apartment. Leaving Mark with a messy room and an empty fridge, but a warmth on his chest. He could never thank you Jackson much for this. It is him that supposed to be cheering Jackson after his friend encourage him to go for Jaebum. In the end, Jackson is the one that makes the two of them, hopefully Jackson too, feel better. About the somehow horrid situation, a bad timing, and the most important thing is, making their friendship back into a solid ground it always has been.

He drags himself from the front door and plans to continue lazing around before he needs to take Coco for his weekly grooming. Just a minute into scrolling mindlessly on his SNS, his phone is ringing. Jinyoung? It has been a long time since he thinks about Jinyoung, probably as long as the time span he spent on not meeting Jinyoung. It is like, when Mark closed the door to Jinyoung’s study more than 3 weeks ago, the small cubicle full of everything-Jinyoung in his brain also sealed itself. Put away for a while, giving a space to a much larger and space-consuming new tenant on his mind, namely Im Jaebum. The man he only discovered the full name two months after their first meeting. And it is too, thanks to Jackson. His friend maybe assumed that Mark knows Jaebum well or something, when in fact, no Jackson, I don’t know a thing about Jaebum except for the fact he is bugging my brain like an aggressive virus. Relenting.

Jinyoung, jinyoung. Calling me? Why?

“Jinyoung?” Mark speaks warily. His mind can’t find a reason to why Jinyoung might be calling him, after weeks of radio silence. Not that they were communicating often before. But, with the way Mark somehow said a goodbye, he thought he would never heard from Jinyoung again. Unless he is the one that reaching Jinyoung first. On their short relationship, it was always Mark that put an extra miles to keep in touch with Jinyoung through sending a funny or interesting thing he stumbled upon via their LINE chatting. So, Jinyoung reaching out first, could only meant one thing. A booty call. Like so many calls he received from Jinyoung in the past. Mark doubt it, Jinyoung is a person that respect someone’s wish, because he demands it for himself too.

“Yes, Mark. It’s me Jinyoung. You don’t forget about me, do you now?” Mark sighes. That voice. He could totally see the crinkle of Jinyoung’s eyes while he said the line before. Teasing me, like always. He almost forgets about the treasure companionship he had with Jinyoung. How he was enjoying their quiet time together. Jinyoung types away on his work station, and Mark simply looks far away from the big window behind Jinyoung’s chair inside his study.

“Actually, I don’t have much time. I’d just dropping by around your apartment complex. Can you buzzed me up? You’re on level 25, right? I’ll tell the concierge. I need to give you something, real quick. And like, real now. Is that okay?” Jinyoung seems really in a rush. Mark haphazardly sprays a perfume all around his body and prepares to call the ground floor to buzz Jinyoung up to his level. Wait, how does Jinyoung know on which floor I am?

“Jinyoung, how did you know I’m on 25? I don’t remember telling...”

“Ah... Hold up! No need to buzz me up Mark, I’m already on the elevator, can you meet me in front of it? I really need to be quick, I don’t even park my car. See you!”

Click~

Wow. What a weird end to a much appreciated phone call. Mark throws a track jacket over his t-shirt as an attempt to look more presentable in front of Jinyoung. He doesn’t need Jinyoung to witness his ready-to-slump attire. He needs to be the Mark that Jinyoung always see. Prim and proper Mark, if not somewhat quiet Mark. Unlocking his door, he puts on his home slipper and pulls on the hoodie over his messy hair. Leaving only his longish brunette hair covers part of his eyes. He walks to the other end of hallway, stopping several step from the elevator.

It is still on level 18. He has an extra time to fix himself. Minute later and the DING~ is closer. The metal door in front of him parts. Revealing Jinyoung in his usual preppy styling. Hair always a perfect pitch black with not even one single hair out of place. White button up with embroidery ornament alongside the hem, tucked in to a baggy cotton slacks that end just short above Jinyoung’s slim ankle. No shocks in sight. Oxford shoes shinny like new. And the smile, crinkly and teasing. Lip-closed and stretch just right to make the smile believable. That is the Park Jinyoung he knew.

Jinyoung is alone in the elevator. Standing on the center, slightly to the back. Upon the door opening, he steps forward and stops just in between the metal door. Mark offers him a smile. Been a long time. “Hello, Jinyoung.”

Jinyoung doesn’t respond to his greeting. Only nodding and gesturing for Mark to come closer. When Mark enters his range of touch, Jinyoung shots out a hand and places it near Mark’s ear, inside his hoodies. The crinkle dips deeper. “Hello, Mark. It’s been a while.”

Jinyoung’s eyes is looking at his entire face. Eyes back and forth, as if Jinyoung is inspecting and searching what’s different from Mark. At last, his eyes settles back into Mark eyes. The smile stretches even broader. With one last lingering from Mark’s ears to his jaw, Jinyoung’s hand is leaving his face. “You seems, more alive, Hyung.”

Mark chuckles. Even Jinyoung notices it. Just how great Jaebum affecting my life? Mark has nothing to offer as a response to Jinyoung’s observation. He cannot deny it, because if even an outsider can tell the difference, then it must be true. That I look more alive. And, he also not about to tell Jinyoung the reason why. He knows from the open comment throws from Jinyoung’s side that Jinyoung wants to know. Alluring Mark to complete the open-ended sentence with a reason of the real driving force behind it.

But somehow, there is a voice that refusing to share his experience with Jaebum to the world. The voice that says, let it be our little secret. And it makes sense. Every person in his life has a certain portion and slot he reserved for each of them. Somehow, the order is a bit chaotic because of the entanglement of Jackson and Jaebum. As much as he wants to tell Jinyoung about this, Mark doesn’t want to further brewing more chaos into his orderly spot by bringing Jinyoung into all this.

So, instead of offering some explanation that would satisfied the curiosity lacing in Jinyoung’s question, Mark choose to keep his mouth shut. After all, it is this Mark who Jinyoung used to. The tame, kind, and non-judgmental Mark. And, he will play the part.

They are looking at each other and into one another. In Jinyoung’s mind, probably he is wondering what happened to the Mark he once knew. What is the different, and how it could be different. And how the difference will affecting him. In Mark’s mind, he is also wondering. What attracts him to Jinyoung back then, what lure him in, and trapping him for several months. Because now, when he is seeing Jinyoung, sure he is still very much handsome and sensual, but the sight is no longer making his stomach churning in a slow burn desire like it was once before. The one realization that hit him the most is, how different Jinyoung is from Jaebum.

Jinyoung is the pretty boy to Jaebum’s rugged masculinity. Though both of them probably of similar height, Mark could say confidently that he is capable to handle Jinyoung on his own. While Jaebum... seems a lot bigger and mightier thanks to his personality and the way he carrying himself that adding as a plus to his physical appearance, it makes him a lot bigger than he actually is. The confidence he carries within his entire body is like another meter altogether, ready to be added to Jaebum’s real height. More than ever, he fully realized that Jinyoung in fact much similar to himself.

Out the corner of his eyes, Mark notices that the metal door is starting to close on Jinyoung. He hurriedly pushes the button on outside panel to prevent it making an impact in Jinyoung’s body. The movement seems awaken Jinyoung from his perusal. When Mark is back in front of him, Jinyoung’s hand once again shots out to him. This time, it is carrying a navy blue envelope with a gold lining.

Mark accepts the envelope, and tries to decipher, what kind of envelop it is. He comes up blank. Because other than the cursive letter saying “to Mark Tuan” in front side, the back side doesn’t reveal a thing other than a classic wax seal with Jr. engraved inside. Mark frowns, tilting his head in question to Jinyoung.

“It is for a mask ball party in my house this upcoming weekend.” At Mark apparent confusion, Jinyoung laughs. And as usual, hiding his laugh. This time with the other two similar invitation he currently holds in his hand. “Don’t worry, it is not that s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter