The Bestfriends

Lonely

So I have subscribers now! Wow! I'm SO Happy! I've decided to write more, not sure how it will be, but I'll give it my best! It's a relatively smaller chapter, but the next one might be bigger ^^

= 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 =종키 = 종키 =

Kibum smiled to himself as he walked down the street to the studio - he was late, by an hour at that. It was probably the first time in the past 6 years of working with Charms, that he was late to work but Key, as he was known as in the fashion industry, couldn't bring himself to regret it. His team would be worried right now, so he messaged Irene saying he got caught up doing something important and will show up at work in about 20 minutes. Her response was a promise to injure him for worrying them so - he chuckled at this, Irene truly was his twin in everything but blood, just as feisty as he was, if not more. She did mention she will speak to the others though, and since they were not in the middle of any events, Key was not too worried. He was craving some coffee though - that thought brought back the smile to his face. 

Jonghyun. Kim Jonghyun. Jonghyunnie hyung. He fought the urge to cover his face and hide his reddened cheeks. He bit into his bottom lip instead to stop that stupid smile from breaking out - no use freaking out random innocent strangers but smiling for seemingly nothing. He still couldn't believe that after all this time, he finally spoke to that puppy eyed man who made him restless for so long. Irene is going to have a field day when he tells her about this. He had a habit of buying an Americano to go, at that cafe and then sit on the bench across the street and go through his schedule for the day. He used to be there at 8 AM every morning, sit there in front of the cafe till 8:30 and then walk to work.

One (lucky) day, about six months back, he was running late so he went to the cafe at 9 AM instead and to his complete and utter surprise, he saw Jonghyun, his favorite composer/singer/song-writer (bless his mother for introducing Jonghyun's music to him) sitting at the table by the window. He was not a shy person by nature so as soon as he grabbed his usual drink, he turned towards where Jonghyun was sitting, but stopped in his tracks when he saw the look on the older the man's face. Though the expression was seemingly black, his eyes looked lost. Hurt, more like. So he decided to take a step back - even though he was a celebrity, it didn't mean he does not need personal time. So Key decided to step away that day and nearly every day after that - until today that is. 


He might sound like a stalker, but the worry he has for the petite singer was genuine - so he observed from afar. So when he finally saw a smile on the man's face, he decided to speak to him. His heart told him that it was time, so he went in and unlike every other day, he sat inside. He sat facing away from the older, because he was too intimidated the moment he walked in. But before he could bring himself to do it, Jonghyun himself walked up to him. He realized few weeks into the changed routine, that his feelings for the singer had grown beyond the usual admiration. Seeing him everyday and closely following his music simultaneously, it added on to the admiration, and he may as well admit to himself now that he was in love. Was it too soon? Kibum didn't think so. But he never, even in his wildest dreams, expected that there would be such obvious chemistry between them, and that Jonghyun would act on it, let alone notice it.

He was still awed by everything that happened so far in one single day. Maybe things were working out on this front, finally.

 

= 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 =종키 = 종키 =

 

By the time Key reached the studio, he was already late by two hours and thankfully, the team wished him warmly as soon as he entered, well, except Irene who just gave him a thoughtful look as she passed him the designs they were working on.


They discussed the designs for the upcoming season and were able to wrap up after two hours, after which they decided to go grab some lunch. Key was getting ready to join the others, when Irene grabbed his arm and told the others "I have something to discuss with Key, you guys go on, we'll come join you soon" and pulled him to her office.

As soon as the door closed behind them, she asked "Spill It!"

Key, acting innocent, said "Spill what? What are you talking about?" as he tried his best to hide the smile that was slowly making its way to his face.
Irene glared at him and suddenly her jaw dropped as she started loudly "OMG! You're blushing! The Almighty Key is blushing! This is GOLD! You HAVE to tell me what's going on before I torture it out of you! I swear I'm calling mom if you don't tell me!"

Key laughed at her antics and said "Arasso arasso! I'll tell you.. Please don't tell mom! And what do you mean Mom! She's my Eomma! You both stop ganging up on me every second!" in a fake angry tone.

Irene mehronged him and said "Don't stall and start speaking then.." and forced him to sit on the couch at one end of the room and sat down next to him legs folded underneath her.

Key hesitated for a minute, before softly saying "I spoke to Jonghyun today.." and the only thing Irene could do was stare at him in shock. 

She finally collected herself and said "Today? You mean this morning? Before you came here? Why now? What changed your mind?" all the while gripping his arm tight.

Key winced at the nails digging into his arm and said "Aishh.. calm down girl ! And let me explain" and Irene sheepishly loosed the grip, but still poked him to continue. 

He shook his head and explained what happened that morning in detail to Irene and by the end of it, she was so excitedly shaking his arm that he was sure the half the tendons in his arm snapped. She gathered herself in a while, lost in her own thoughts and said "So where do you stand right now? I mean, with each other?"

Key ran his fingers through his hair and replied thoughtfully "With each other - we both realize there is something between us, and we both want to take it further and see what it is. As for his feelings, he seemed attracted for sure, but beyond that, I cannot say. And as for me, I think I'm in love Noona.."

Irene side-hugged him calmly and with her head on his shoulder, said "You finally admitted that to yourself huh? Did you know Kibum-ah, you only call me Noona when you're upset, worried, or just really happy. I can see you are happy, but you are also worried. It is difficult to miss. But it will be fine, I can feel it.. Everything will fall into place, for the both of you. Now let's go get something to eat.. I'm starving.." 

Key nodded, still thoughtful, and let himself be dragged to the restaurant where the others were waiting for them. He still had one thing he couldn't stop thinking about though - he programmed his number into Jonghyun's mobile, but will he ever get a call or a message from the older man? Did he really feel the sparks or was it just him being deluded? He can only wait and see.


= 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 =종키 = 종키 =


Meanwhile, Jonghyun too managed to completely work himself up into quite a fix, He dropped Roo off at the dog-sitters and half-way to his work; he decided he was in no position to compose that day. He immediately called his composing team to reschedule their meeting for the next day and proceeded to call his Jinki hyung. As he noticed that the caller tune had been changed from the familiar tune, he realized that it had been more than a month since he last called his hyung, and even longer, three months was it, since he met the kind doctor. 

He was just about to hang up after few seconds when Jinki picked up the call with a worried "Jonghyun-ah! Gwenchana?" making Jonghyun feel extremely guilty for not being in touch with this caring man. 

He shook off the regret and said calmly "I'm fine hyung.. Everything is fine.. Are you at work?" 

Jonghyun could practically hear the relief in Jinki's voice as he said "Yes, I am at work. But I can break for lunch now. Why don't we meet up at that Italian place around the corner? The Chicken Cacciatore they serve is to DIE for! Is Italian okay?"

Jonghyun smiled to himself at the excitement in Jinki's voice and said "Of course it's fine hyung! I'll see you there!" and hung up.

 

 

= 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 =종키 = 종키 =

 

Jinki quickly took off the gloves off of his hands and cleaned them methodically. His 5 year old patient who went through a heart transplant last month came back for a check-up today. Seeing her rosy cheeks and lively eyes, Jinki was very happy. And now, Jonghyun called him, by himself and made plans to meet up. It was true that he was worried when he saw who was calling him, but Jonghyun's voice sounded fine. So he decided to trust his instinct on that and go meet him today. As he grabbed his wallet from the desk drawer and made his way out of the hospital, his thoughts went back to his dongsaeng.

Jonghyun still believed that Jinki, Minho and Taemin did not know of JiYeon breaking up with him. It was in fact JiYeon who called him to tell him that Jonghyun might need his friends now more than ever before she left the country. But when Jonghyun met them and said that she moved for work, but didn't mention the breakup, they decided to keep quite and let him speak to them about it on his own terms. Jinki had known Jonghyun since elementary school, and had seen everything that man went through. Despite the tendency to get lost in himself, Jinki trusted Jonghyun's resilient spirit and silently stood by his side as he worked through this heart-break. 

As he reached the restaurant, he saw Jonghyun already sitting there, going through the menu, but with a smile on his face. Jinki had waiting for so long to see that smile on his face that his eyes inexplicably teared up. He stood outside for a bit, calmed his aching heart and walking in with his usual eye-smile, greeting his best friend warmly, all the while thinking "Is this the day when I get my dongsaeng back? Is today the day when he will open up to me?"

 

= 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 = 종키 =종키 = 종키 =

A/N - Please review! Reviews are very precious!