Dread

Be My Husband

Thanks for subscribing and for still reading this. Sorry for the lack of updates orz


 

 

Chanyeol sighed softly as he leant back against the kitchen counter. He brought up the coffee in his hand to his mouth, sipping on the bitter drink as he watched his husband talking on the phone with his mother.

 

Ever since Baekhyun had that nightmare around four days ago, the midget would always be restless if he didn’t know how she was doing. If before, Baekhyun would just text his mother to ask about her day, now Baekhyun had made it a routine to call her the moment he came back home from classes.

 

Chanyeol pushed himself off the counter once he saw Baekhyun hanging up the phone call, grabbing the cup of coffee that he had made for the smaller. “Baek,” Chanyeol called softly as he rounded the couch and took his seat beside his husband, handing him the coffee. Baekhyun offered him a small smile and sipped on the coffee, humming at the bittersweet taste.

 

“Thanks, Yeol.”

 

Chanyeol hummed in reply as he put down his own cup on the table in front of them before leaning back against the couch while staring at Baekhyun; taking in the sight of his fluffy brown hair, his droopy eyes and cute button nose, those red thin lips and those pretty fingers. Chanyeol still couldn’t fathom how he managed to get this beautiful and mesmerizing male as his husband. Because somehow, Chanyeol didn’t think he deserve Baekhyun.

 

“Why are you staring at me like that?”

 

Baekhyun couldn’t help but to ask. He noticed that Chanyeol had been staring at him but no matter how much he tried to ignore the taller, he simply couldn’t. He could feel warmth started creeping up his neck and he was sure his dumbo ears were getting pinker now. Well, how could he not, when Chanyeol had been gazing at him with those sparkly brown eyes?

 

Chanyeol chuckled as he saw Baekhyun being flustered. He was still amazed with Baekhyun’s random personality; how he could be a shy pup at one time, becoming a blushing mess at Chanyeol’s action and how he could change into someone who was very daring and hot the other time, being the one to tease and seduce Chanyeol.

 

His Baekhyun was such an interesting person and Chanyeol was proud of the fact that he could be the one seeing all this sides of Baekhyun.

 

“Stop staring at me, Yeol,” Baekhyun whined as he put down his cup on the table and quickly grabbed a small cushion from the couch to hide his face with.

 

Chanyeol couldn’t stop the chuckled that escaped his mouth at Baekhyun’s adorable act and he let out a squeal groan as he effortlessly took the cushion away from Baekhyun. “Ugh, Park Baekhyun, can you please stop being so cute?”

 

Chanyeol laughed aloud when Baekhyun let out a whimper, hiding his face using his palms now. The taller decided that he wouldn’t tolerate the squishiness anymore so he pulled Baekhyun towards him, taking the smaller by surprise.

 

Baekhyun yelped when Chanyeol suddenly pulled him, making him stumble right onto Chanyeol’s chest. A pained yelp escaped his mouth when his nose bumped onto Chanyeol’s chest because frankly speaking, Chanyeol’s chest was not exactly soft and it really hurt him.

 

Chanyeol chuckled nervously when he heard Baekhyun’s pained yelp, uttering a soft “Sorry, Baek,” as he helped to arrange the smaller so that Baekhyun would be straddling him on the couch. Baekhyun just gave him a half-hearted glare before heaving a content sigh once he was seated on Chanyeol’s lap comfortably.

 

Chanyeol’s lips were pulled up into a smile when Baekhyun automatically planted his face onto the crook of Chanyeol’s neck – his favourite spot – as he inhaled Chanyeol’s musky scent. The giant wasted no time and wrapped his left around Baekhyun’s lithe waist, his right hand coming up to thread themselves in between Baekhyun’s soft locks. The midget almost purred at the feel of Chanyeol’s fingers on his hair, content with the attention given to him.

 

They both stayed that way – enjoying being in each other’s presence, without even doing nothing. It was insanely mesmerizing how they both could feel so delighted being like this, content with this without even needing anything else.

 

They cuddled together on the couch for quite some time, listening to each other’s breathing and smiling because even though their rhythm didn’t match, they still found it beautiful. Baekhyun could feel himself slowly drifting away into dreamland but he was brought back to reality when Chanyeol’s deep voice reverberated against their chests.

 

“How’s eomma, Baek? Is she doing fine?”

 

Chanyeol asked softly – afraid to disturb their serene atmosphere but also dying to know why Baekhyun was acting the way he was. It had been bugging on Chanyeol’s mind these days; about Baekhyun’s nightmare. He knew that Baekhyun had a dream about his mother, but what was it that it could make Baekhyun become this restless?

 

Baekhyun sighed softly as he nosed at Chanyeol’s jaw with his nose, liking the feeling of Chanyeol’s stubble on him. “She’s doing fine, Yeol.”

 

Chanyeol hummed at that before he held Baekhyun’s broad shoulders in his hands, pushing the smaller away from him slightly to look at Baekhyun in the eyes. “You have been calling eomma every day, Baek. Asking how she is, spending your time talking with her.” Chanyeol smiled softly, cupping Baekhyun’s left cheek with his right hand and brushing his thumb on the midget’s cheek.

 

Baekhyun hummed in reply, leaning into Chanyeol’s touch and making the taller’s heart melted at the sight. “Yes, I do. But why are you saying this, Yeol? Are you perhaps..” Baekhyun smiled up at the taller teasingly, “..jealous? Of my own mother?”

 

Chanyeol snorted at Baekhyun’s assumption, nodding his head as he played along. “Yes, I am jealous. You have problem with that? Just to let you know, you are mine, Park Baekhyun. So I want you all to me and myself only.” Chanyeol raised an eyebrow, a small smirk pulled up at the corner of his lips as he proudly said the words. Baekhyun laughed at Chanyeol’s hot funny face and he pulled the younger’s nose in retaliation, trying to hide the blush in his face.

 

Chanyeol’s smirk somehow turned into a pout as he rubbed his nose, pained after being pulled by Baekhyun’s slim fingers. Chanyeol however couldn’t pout for long, not when Baekhyun was laughing beautifully on him, entertained with their nonsense acts.

 

The yoda then put his hands on Baekhyun’s curve, rubbing his sides distractedly while Baekhyun wrapped his arms around the giant’s neck, his fingers automatically playing with his favourite ears.

 

“But seriously though, Baek, you keep on doing that.. since that night.” Chanyeol noticed how Baekhyun stiffened in his arms; his fingers on Chanyeol’s ears were halted. “Is it because of the nightmare, Baek?” Chanyeol asked softly, peering up at his husband as Baekhyun had started to look down, trying to avoid his gaze.

 

Chanyeol’s hands travelled from Baekhyun’s waist up to his neck before he cupped both of Baekhyun’s cheeks in his palms, making the smaller looking up at him. Baekhyun however averted his gaze away from Chanyeol’s piercing ones, not wanting to have this conversation. He just.. didn’t want to be reminded of that dream – the worst dream he ever had.

 

“Baekhyun…”

 

Baekhyun lost it when he heard Chanyeol’s soft voice calling for him, didn’t like hearing Chanyeol’s voice being that broken because of him. The smaller braved himself to stare back at Chanyeol, noticing how there was worry evident in Chanyeol’s eyes.

 

“I’m not trying to make you feel bad, to make you remember that bad dream again.. but I really want you to tell me about it.” Chanyeol tried his best to arrange his words so that Baekhyun understood his intention. “It’s just,.. I want you to share with me and tell me everything, instead of keeping it to yourself and carrying the worry and burden alone.”

 

Baekhyun could feel tears started to well up in his eyes and his lower lip trembled as he heard Chanyeol’s sincere words. He didn’t know that Chanyeol noticed how restless and anxious he had been since the night four days ago, but he really couldn’t hide anything from the taller, huh?

 

Baekhyun let out a shaky breath as he tried to compose his heart. He was startled a bit when Chanyeol’s thumb brushed the lower part of his eye, wiping away the tear that Baekhyun didn’t realize had escaped his eye.

 

Baekhyun inhaled deeply as he looked at Chanyeol’s calming eyes, patiently waiting for him to open up. Baekhyun was grateful for Chanyeol’s big hand rubbing his nape, knowing that it somehow calmed him.

 

“I.. I dreamt.. I dreamt that eomma f-fell.. and d-died..” Baekhyun breathed out the words shakily, his eyes starting to become unfocused as he was brought back to his dream. “I.. I was there.. I w-was there b-but.. but I couldn’t.. I c-couldn’t save her, Yeol..”

 

Chanyeol’s eyes widened in surprise when he heard what Baekhyun told him, his heart clenching in pain as he watched tears started to roll down Baekhyun’s pink cheeks. Chanyeol could feel the lump in his throat as he pulled Baekhyun into his embrace, hugging him tight as he tried his best to offer Baekhyun the comfort.

 

“Oh, Baek..”

 

Baekhyun sobbed hard as he hid his face in Chanyeol’s embrace, desperately reaching for the warmth as he remembered his dream, where his mother had left him.

 

“A-And you.. were t-there too..”

 

Chanyeol’s ears perked up when he felt Baekhyun uttered the words brokenly against his neck, obviously trying hard to tell him everything.

 

“Y-you were there too, Y-Yeol.. b-but instead of.. helping me..”

 

Chanyeol’s heart started to beat faster when he heard Baekhyun cried harder, sobbing into Chanyeol’s neck as he tried to force out the words out of his mouth.

 

“You.. you p-pushed her down, Y-Yeol.. You.. –hic- you l-let her fall to d-die…”

 

Chanyeol’s mouth opened in a loud gasp as he felt his heart clenching in pain after hearing what Baekhyun told him. His hands fell down from Baekhyun’s nape as he gaped in shock, resulting Baekhyun to pull away to look at him in the eyes.

 

Chanyeol could just sat there helplessly as Baekhyun’s blotched face came into his view, his smaller palms desperately reaching for Chanyeol’s face as he cupped Chanyeol’s face in his hands. “Y-You won’t.. d-do that, r-right Yeol? You.. would never..”

 

Baekhyun hiccupped as more tears flowed out of his eyes, waiting dreadfully for Chanyeol to just prove him wrong, to assure him that he would never cause that pain to Baekhyun. “Y-Yeol.. please..” Baekhyun croaked out as he lunged forward to hug Chanyeol, his hands mindlessly tugging Chanyeol closer to feel the assurance that never came.

 

Chanyeol finally broken out of his stupor, aware of the tears that Baekhyun leaked onto his shirt and also the tears that came out of his own eyes. Chanyeol wasted no time as he hugged Baekhyun, pulling the smaller closer in his arms as he tucked his face onto Baekhyun’s shoulder.

 

“No.. No.. No, Baek.. I would never.. I would never do that, Baek.. Oh God..”

 

Chanyeol chanted the words against Baekhyun’s shoulder and he started trailing kisses from his husband’s neck up to his ear, whispering the words that Baekhyun desperately wanted to hear; the assurance that Chanyeol would never cause that much anguish in him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chanyeol caressed Baekhyun’s hair as he watched the smaller sleeping soundlessly on the bed. Chanyeol had carried the male into their room as Baekhyun had fallen asleep after they both cried their hearts out; exhaustion was clear on his face. Chanyeol inhaled a deep breath as he leant down to leave a fleeting kiss on Baekhyun’s forehead, hoping that it could replace the agony that Baekhyun had been feeling.

 

Chanyeol let out a chuckle in disbelief.

 

How fitting – Baekhyun dreaming of his mother falling and dying, without him can do anything to help her. And not only that, Chanyeol was there.. not to help him in saving her but instead, he was the one to push her down and let her die.

 

Is this some sort of a punishment for him, for keeping a secret from Baekhyun? Will he have to witness Baekhyun breaking down like this again if his mother died, without Baekhyun got the chance to do anything? Will he have to watch Baekhyun suffer like this again when everything is too late?

 

Chanyeol clutched his chest, where his heart at as he felt his heart clenching in pain, making him gasp out aloud as tears started to roll down his cheeks again. He quickly covered his mouth with his palm and he slid down the bed, leaning against it as he sobbed into his arms.

 

Will Baekhyun forgive me if he knows the truth – that I’ve been lying to him all this while?

 

Will Baekhyun forgive me?

 

 

Will Baekhyun hate me?

 

 

 

Because Chanyeol didn’t think he could live if Baekhyun ever hated him.

 

 

---

 

You’ve been calling me so much nowadays, Baekhyun-ah. Why is it? Are you having problems?”

 

Baekhyun smiled bitterly at his mother’s question. Hearing that, it made him realize how bad he was as a son that his mother thought he’s calling just because he’s having problems. Baekhyun inwardly swore that he would be a better son for his mother.

 

“Eomma, it’s nothing. I just want to check up on you, it’s not wrong, right?”

 

Baekhyun closed his eyes as he relished in his mother’s soft chuckle, “Of course it’s not, dear. In fact, I’m so happy that you call me every day.”

 

The brunette smiled at that, his fingers unconsciously fumbling with the hem of his shirt. Baekhyun was just going to say something when he heard his mother yawned. He automatically looked at the clock on the wall and noticed that it was just 7 in the evening, too early for his mother to be sleepy. But maybe, she was just tired.

 

“Eomma, you are sleepy already?” Baekhyun heard his mother hummed so he nodded to no one, “Okay then, eomma. I’ll call you back tomorrow. Have a good rest and sweet dreams, eomma.”

 

Mrs Byun chuckled as she listened to Baekhyun’s words, “Okay, sweetie. You too have a good rest and sweet dreams. Send my regards to Chanyeol, ‘kay?”

 

With a ‘yes’ and a final goodbye, Baekhyun then hung up the phone, leaning back to the seat as his mind started to travel faraway.

 

Baekhyun didn’t want to think of anything, but his mother had always been tired lately. Baekhyun was worried, afraid that his mother was overworking herself or something like that. The fact that Baekhyun was not there with her, and the fact that he didn’t really have the time to visit her just made him feel so awful.

 

But that was not the only thing on Baekhyun’s mind right now.

 

Chanyeol.

 

It might have been just Baekhyun’s feeling, but he seriously felt like Chanyeol was being a bit distant nowadays. No, it’s not like Chanyeol ignored Baekhyun but it was more like he.. had so much thoughts in his head that it was like he’s not even there.

 

Chanyeol did talk to him but at one point in their conversation, the taller would just stare at Baekhyun, looking like there was something he wanted to tell the smaller, but he just stayed quiet. It was like, there was something holding him back.

 

Baekhyun didn’t want to assume things but he really took pride in being the one who understood Chanyeol the most, so he was sure that it wasn’t just his imagination.

 

Chanyeol did become distant nowadays.

 

But why?

 

Does he have problems right now? Or did something happen to him? Or was it me? Did I offend him or hurt him without I realizing it? Did I-

 

Baekhyun’s thoughts were halted when the front door was opened and came in Chanyeol. The taller had an extra class that day, so that was why he came back so late in the evening. Baekhyun got up from the couch and approached his husband, smiling softly as he saw how tired the giant was.

 

“Welcome back, Yeol.”

 

Baekhyun noticed how Chanyeol’s face brightened up a bit as he saw Baekhyun and the taller wasted no time in pulling Baekhyun into his arms, burying his face on his favorite spot at the crook of Baekhyun’s neck. Baekhyun had always been commenting how it was uncomfortable for Chanyeol to leant down like that – showing how great their height difference was – but the giant just shrugged him off, saying that he liked it because of that.

 

“You want a drink?”

 

Baekhyun offered, but he just got a shake of the head from Chanyeol. The younger pulled away and looked down at Baekhyun, cupping his husband’s smaller face in his palms. “I feel so tired. I just want to go upstairs and take a bath and maybe sleep this off.”

 

The exhaustion was evident in his deep voice, so Baekhyun just smiled and nodded his head, patting the hands that were holding his face. “Okay, just go and have enough rest. I’ll join you later on.”

 

Baekhyun stared up at his yoda and he saw that faraway look on Chanyeol’s face once again, making him feel even more curious and a bit worried too.

 

Just what are you thinking about, Yeol?

 

“I..” Chanyeol started and Baekhyun’s chest felt a bit lighter, anticipating what Chanyeol was trying to tell him. But he was left disappointed once again when Chanyeol just shook his head, obviously not going to say what he was going to.

 

“I love you, Baek.” Chanyeol said instead, and leant forward to peck Baekhyun on his lips, before moving to kiss Baekhyun on his forehead. The midget closed his eyes at the feel of those soft pair of lips on him and he opened his eyes, only to see Chanyeol walking away from him and already climbing up the stairs towards their room.

 

Baekhyun could just let out a sigh coming out of his mouth, wondering what was actually happening.

 

 

---

 

 

Chanyeol had been thinking for days.

 

He had been thinking about the secret he had kept from Baekhyun, about how unfair it was for Baekhyun to be kept in dark, about how devastated the smaller would be if he knew about the truth.

 

The truth about his mother’s illness, which Baekhyun should be the one to know, instead of Chanyeol.

 

He had been thinking very carefully and deeply, and Chanyeol finally had come to a decision.

 

He had decided to tell the truth to Baekhyun because he no longer could keep it all in. He felt suffocated with the weight of the secret and he had decided that it was enough; he would not lie to Baekhyun anymore.

 

 

 

But telling the truth – it was the hardest thing for Chanyeol to do right now.

 

Because deep down inside, Chanyeol was not ready. He was not ready to know how Baekhyun would react – whether he would cry, or whether he would get angry or maybe he would thrash things around.

 

And maybe, he would get so angry that he was kept in dark that he would hate Chanyeol.

 

That was what Chanyeol was scared of the most.

 

He didn’t think that he could accept it if Baekhyun hated him.

 

But Chanyeol had decided, and he had promised himself to tell Baekhyun the truth. This thing had been kept a secret for so long that Chanyeol didn’t think he could keep it inside himself anymore

 

Chanyeol nodded to himself, because yes, I’m gonna tell him. I’m gonna tell Baekhyun the truth, and whatever happens next, I will accept it. No matter what happens, I’ll accept it with all my heart.

 

Yes, I’m gonna tell him.

 

---

 

No.

 

Chanyeol couldn’t do it.

 

He couldn’t say it.

 

He didn’t have the courage to go and tell everything to Baekhyun.

 

How should he do it? Should he make Baekhyun sit and just straight up say to his face that his mother was now suffering because of a cancer? Or should he keep on going round and round, before saying the truth? But what’s the point? Baekhyun would get hurt no matter what he said.

 

Chanyeol heaved a sigh and he turned to lie on his side, straining his eyes to stare at his sleeping husband. Chanyeol watched the rise and fall of Baekhyun’s body, somehow feeling calm when he heard Baekhyun’s soft snoring.

 

Chanyeol’s lips pulled into a small smile when Baekhyun’s occasional yelps flew out of his mouth. Chanyeol could feel himself melting at how adorable his husband was and he couldn’t deny that he’s falling in love every day. He didn’t know that it was possible to love someone this much, but Baekhyun just proved him that he could.

 

The giant brought up a hand and played with the strands of hair that fell down on Baekhyun’s forehead, liking how soft they felt in his fingers. His action however had caused Baekhyun to stir up and Chanyeol held his breath, not wanting to disturb him further.

 

But it was too late as Baekhyun had opened his eyes, the small and droopy eyes were shining even in the dark. “Yeol?” Chanyeol hummed as a reply when Baekhyun sleepily called out for him and he scooted closer to the smaller male and in an instant, Baekhyun latched himself on Chanyeol to leech of the warmth radiating from his husband.

 

“Mm, so warm.” Chanyeol just smiled when Baekhyun purred contently and he tightened his hold on the smaller, “Go to sleep, Baek.”

 

Baekhyun hummed in response, nuzzling his face on Chanyeol’s clad chest, “You too, go to sleep.”

 

Chanyeol chuckled at that and he nodded, “Okay, okay,  let’s sleep.” There was no response from Baekhyun as he already went back to his dreamland, though his hold on Chanyeol was still firm and tight.

 

Chanyeol peered down at the sleeping male in his arms and he couldn’t hold back the sigh coming out of his mouth as his worries came back to him.

 

What should I do?

 

---

 

 

Chanyeol flipped on the channels mindlessly, not really realizing what he’s doing as his mind was wandering elsewhere.

 

He was in a slump; not knowing what was the right thing to do and not knowing what he should do. His mind was in a jumble and his mind was too preoccupied lately that he couldn’t even focus in his classes.

 

Even the duo Jongin and Sehun noticed his weird attitude nowadays, so Chanyeol was sure that Baekhyun noticed too. He was just grateful that Baekhyun didn’t ask him anything because he didn’t think he could answer Baekhyun’s question.

 

Chanyeol sighed as he turned off the tv before lying down on the couch, putting his arm over his eyes. His eyebrows were furrowed as he thought hard about this matter.

 

Chanyeol was adamant on telling the truth to Baekhyun but the problem was, Chanyeol’s afraid. He’s afraid to tell Baekhyun the truth and he was not ready to face what would happen in the future.

 

Just as he was thinking, his phone dinged as a text came in. It was from Baekhyun, informing that his class would end in thirty minutes and that he would come home soon. Chanyeol replied to the text before he put down his phone on the table and back to thinking about Baekhyun and his mother.

 

Thinking about this nonstop surely was draining him and before Chanyeol could go crazy with all the thinking he did, the giant grabbed his phone back from the table and called the one person who never failed in helping and calming him whenever he had problems.

 

He waited patiently as the call was ringing to the other line, and he smiled when finally the call got picked up. “Hello, mom.”

 

Chanyeol could hear the happiness in his mother’s voice as his mother greeted him back, asking him straightaway whether he had been eating fine or not and how was his study and how was Baekhyun. It was a rare thing for Chanyeol to call so of course Mrs Park was not going to miss it and using the chance to ask whatever she wanted to.

 

“Yes, I’m fine, mom. Baekhyun is too.” Chanyeol answered briefly, not really up to sharing anything as his mind was clouded with the thoughts of Baekhyun and the secret.

 

Mrs Park somehow could hear the sadness and misery in Chanyeol’s voice – a mother’s intuition is not something to be taken lightly – and with a soft voice, she asked, “What’s the matter, Chanyeollie? You sound troubled.”

 

Chanyeol got up from the couch and he walked towards the sliding door, looking at the lawn outside of his house. He sighed once into the phone, not knowing how to tell his mother but he knew, if he didn’t tell her now, he would not solve this problem he had.

 

“Mom, I.. I..”

 

“Yes, Yeollie? Tell me what’s bothering you.”

 

Chanyeol felt slightly calmed when he heard his mother’s soft and understanding voice. He then took a deep breath, readying himself to let out what had been bottled in his heart.

 

“Mom, I want.. no, I need to tell Baekhyun about his eomma.”

 

The other line went silent after Chanyeol finished his words. Chanyeol’s eyebrows furrowed but he still waited, knowing that his mother was still there. Maybe she was thinking about the best thing to say to Chanyeol, because that’s how she was. She would think things carefully before saying anything.

 

“Chanyeol-ah, why so sudden?”

 

Chanyeol bit his lower lip and he gazed down at his feet, before lifting up his face to watch the cloudy sky from the transparent door.

 

“I.. I don’t know.. I just, I just realized how wrong it is for us to hide this big thing from Baekhyun.” Chanyeol heaved a heavy sigh, “This is a serious matter, mom. And it’s his mother we’re talking about here.”

 

Mrs Park went silent again but not for so long. “But Chanyeol, Yeonhee herself doesn’t want Baekhyun to know. She doesn’t want Baekhyun to worry about her.”

 

Chanyeol ruffled his hair in frustration, getting more worked up because of this whole secret thing. “But mom, Baekhyun is her son. He has the right to know.” Chanyeol let out a groan, “Mom, this is concerning his own mother. Baekhyun should know about this, you know he should.”

 

Chanyeol could hear his mother sighing from the other line, obviously not knowing what to say.

 

“But Yeol, it’s her privacy and it’s her request. We don’t have the right to tell Baekhyun if she doesn’t want him to know.”

 

Chanyeol let out another frustrated groan because he understood, he knew where his mother was coming from and he knew that what his mother was saying was true. But, wasn’t it unfair for Baekhyun?

 

“Let’s just drop this topic-“

 

Chanyeol however felt aggravated when his mother tried to change the topic, and it was not his intention to lost it. But he still did.

 

“Mom, we can’t just drop this topic like that! It’s a serious matter, mom!”

 

Mrs Park sighed when she heard Chanyeol’s voice was raised up, knowing that his son was having a very hard time as he would never raise his voice to Mrs Park no matter how frustrated he was. But Mrs Park knew how in love Chanyeol was with Baekhyun, and seeing how this concerned Baekhyun, it was understandable that he got this worked up.

 

“But Chanyeol, we can do nothing-“

 

“Mom, I have to tell Baekhyun about eomma! Eomma is suffering cancer stage 4, for God’s sake! It’s not something that we can take lightly. What would happen if everything’s too late?!”

 

Before Chanyeol could listen to his mother’s answer, a loud crash was heard first from behind him, making him turn around with his heart beating hard in his chest.

 

What greeted him first were the books splattered on the floor before his eyes trailed up to see the wide-eyed Baekhyun, frozen as he stared at Chanyeol in shock. Chanyeol could feel his body went cold as it finally registered in his mind that Baekhyun was there. He could hear his mother shouting from the phone, probably worried because Chanyeol suddenly went quiet but he couldn’t care less about his mother for now.

 

Because Baekhyun was there, right in front of him, with his eyes wide and full of disbelief.

 

Chanyeol crossed his fingers, hoping that Baekhyun didn’t hear what he just said but he knew that it was a wishful thinking, because Baekhyun’s eyes were now welled up with tears, as he gazed at Chanyeol with a broken look.

 

“Wh-What.. did y-you say? C-Cancer?”

 

Chanyeol could see how Baekhyun’s lips trembled, obviously holding in his cry. Looking at Baekhyun like that broke Chanyeol’s heart so he took a step towards his small husband, “B-Baek, listen-“

 

Chanyeol however was halted in his step when his phone suddenly rang, showing that his mother called. Maybe the call was cut off just now, and his mother was calling him back but it was not something that Chanyeol wanted to care about now.

 

What’s more important to him was Baekhyun, the one that he loved, the one who was now shaking as tears started to roll down on his cheeks, shaking his head as he wanted answer from Chanyeol. Chanyeol’s heart clenched in pain as he stepped towards Baekhyun, wanting to grab a hold of him but his heart ached even more when Baekhyun slapped his hand away, looking up at him with tears in his eyes.

 

“Tell m-me, Y-Yeol! C-Cancer? Stage.. Stage 4?!”

 

The way Baekhyun looked up at him, so lost, so devastated and so sad made Chanyeol’s own eyes welled up in tears. He reached out his hand once again, trying to calm Baekhyun down. “Baek..-“

 

However, his phone went off once again and cruelly halted Chanyeol once again. He was going to ignore the call, because Baekhyun was what matter the most now but something in him just pushed Chanyeol to pick it up. Somehow he could feel that he would regret it if he didn’t.

 

With his eyes on his sobbing husband, Chanyeol picked up the phone, wanting to let his mother know that it was not the right time but before he could say anything, his mother had beat him to it.

 

“C-Chanyeol! Yeonhee,.. Yeonhee, she was just fine before b-but now, she’s not waking up!”

 

Chanyeol felt his ear rang at his mother words and with shaky eyes, he looked at Baekhyun, who was now also looking at him. Baekhyun felt his heart stopped as he saw the look in Chanyeol’s eyes, because he could understand Chanyeol without even communicating with him.

 

And that look only meant something;

 

Something bad had happened.

 

 


 

should it be more angsty?

(p/s: idk how to angst tho)