~4.5 months~ What is it?

Countdown

Nearly every day for the next few weeks, Jonghyun rode the bus to Kibum’s stop. On days he was alone, Jonghyun would sit next to him. If Kibum chose to sit in a place with no empty seat next to it, Jonghyun would stand next to him and hold the hand rail. He never spoke, he just existed there beside Kibum. He even rode the bus with Kibum when Minho accompanied him. The first time it happened, Minho intentionally stood blocking Kibum from Jonghyun, his face inches from Jonghyun’s. The message was clear… “leave him alone”. After that, since Jonghyun obviously made no move to actually bother Kibum, Minho would just ignore him. If Taemin rode with Kibum, Jonghyun would always concede to him. Taemin was obviously weirded out about the whole thing, but he never said anything about Jonghyun, so Kibum didn’t have to discuss it with anyone. It still hurt him to pretend nothing happened, that everything was okay, but he realized he was growing accustomed to Jonghyun being there on the bus with him.

Rather, Kibum chose to focus on other things going on in his and his friends lives. It made his heart swell when, one day, Minho accidentally let the word “boyfriend” slip out while they were talking.

“Did you just call Jinki your boyfriend?”

Minho hadn’t even realized he’d said it until Kibum pointed it out. He froze, his water bottle still held to his lips, poised in mid-drink. Kibum smirked at him as he watched his friend search for how to “correct” the situation.

Minho lowered the bottle and gulped. “I meant… You know…” and struggled and gestured lamely.

Kibum crossed his arms and looked smugly at his friend. “No, I don’t know what you meant. I see you every day. How and when did Jinki become ‘boyfriend’?”

“I… I meant soulmate! Not boyfriend…soulmate!”

The level of discomfort on Minho’s face made Kibum a little sad. Did he really feel like he couldn’t be honest with Kibum, that if they’d decided to be in a labeled relationship, he couldn’t tell Kibum for some reason? He uncrossed his arm and softly pulled at Minho’s sleeve, leading him into a corner of the hallway, so that others wouldn’t hear their conversation.

“Minho, if Jinki and you decided to be boyfriends, that’s great. You don’t have to hide that from me because of my own situation. You don’t have to hide anything from me. You know that. Right?”

Minho stared at the floor, nervous. “We didn’t decide to be boyfriends. I misspoke.” He took another big sip of his water, swishing it around in his mouth a bit before swallowing. Kibum waited for the younger boy to continue. It took a moment, but finally, he confessed.

“We talk a lot, since you and I weren’t speaking that much, you know?”

Kibum nodded, allowing Minho to keep speaking without interruption.

“I just… kinda… started to think of him that way, I guess. But, I don’t know. It feels kind of soon, you know?” He looked at Kibum, waiting for his opinion.

“Okay, well two things: One, that’s awesome! Go you!” He held up his hand and Minho gave him an automatic, but less than enthusiastic high-five. “Secondly,” he continued, “Minho, this boy has KNOWN you were soulmates for… well over 2 years now. You think he hasn’t fallen in love with you already?”

Minho just shrugged in response. Minho was the kind of person to sometimes have a hard time believing that people liked him back, so it wasn’t entirely surprising that he didn’t think Jinki felt the same way about him as he felt about Jinki.

Kibum took his friend’s shoulders in his hands and shook him lightly. “Minho! This is the man who knew for 2 years that you were his soulmate, but didn’t force anything on you. He was patient. He got to know you and he let you get to know him. Two years, Minho! If he didn’t love you at this point, he wouldn’t still be around.”

A small smile appeared on Minho’s lips, his eyes softening. He still looked skeptical, but this was better than complete doubt.

“Tell you what, why don’t we all hang out this weekend? We can have a movie marathon on Saturday. You and I are both free. I can ask Taemin what he’s doing and you can ask Jinki. Maybe you’ll get a chance to see how Jinki feels.” Kibum waggled his eyebrows suggestively and Minho chuckled and rolled his eyes. Satisfied, Kibum continued, “Heck, since it’s you, I don’t even mind if Jonghyun is there.” Kibum smiled and patted his friend’s arm.

Minho looked him up and down for a minute before nodding. “Sounds good.”

As it turned out, Taemin was very free. He almost knocked Kibum down hugging him when they’d met up after school the next day and Kibum had asked him.

“Yesss!!!! Midterms are finished and I can hang out for real again!!!! Yess thank you for thinking of this!”

Jinki was free, too, and, since it had been Kibum’s idea after all, he invited Jonghyun. Jonghyun quietly agreed, and Jinki made a point to mention to Kibum later when they talked about the plans that Jonghyun seemed to be a completely different person than he was before, way more cautious, which Jinki hadn’t seen before. They agreed to meet up on Saturday around noon at Jinki and Taemin’s house and just make it a ridiculously long deal. Minho and Kibum agreed to bring drinks and Taemin said he’d order the pizzas (while Jinki promised to actually be the one to do it, since he doubted Taemin would remember in his excitement).

They decided on 5 movies, one picked by each individual, and then they would watch it in order of how well the movies went together. They could pick any movie as long as it was available on a streaming service or brought by someone there. Money wasn’t an issue, as Taemin’s parents left some money for them all, stating that they were going out over night and would be back the next morning and to just have fun and be safe. No worries, that would be easily managed. Kibum did make it a point to tell everyone that the issues he had with Jonghyun were his own for him and Jonghyun to deal with. He didn’t want to make the whole time with everyone awkward because of their relationship. Jinki and Taemin agreed, apparently having already discussed it between themselves and deciding that they would only be involved if Kibum needed their help. Minho was harder to convince, but he did finally agree to it, crossing his arms grumpily and promising to be “normal”.

Saturday arrived and Kibum found himself with Taemin in Taemin’s parents’ house, Jinki and Minho sorting out the pizza delivery at the front door.

“So, I know you said you and Jinki are cousins, but is he also basically your brother?” Kibum stood looking at the family pictures hung on the dining room wall, easily recognizing Jinki and Taemin in most of them, and also spotting family pictures that included both of them with Taemin’s parents, but he didn’t see any of Jinki’s parents.

“Yeah, pretty much. He started living with us when he was 4 and I was a baby. I’ve pretty much always had him around, so yeah, we’re brothers.” Taemin stood in the kitchen, looking through all the drinks that had been brought. He had already taken a couple and hidden them in the back of the fridge, which Kibum had watched him do out of the corner of his eye and pretended not to notice.

“Is it rude to ask why he didn’t live with his parents?” Kibum approached the counter Taemin stood at and lightly plucked his own favorite beverage out of the youngest boy’s grip.

Taemin shrugged and picked up another drink to inspect. “It’s just the way it worked out. It’s probably always been better for me, anyway. He’s always watched out for me and treated me like a brother, so I don’t really know any other way. He’s just always been there.” He nodded, seemingly at both what he’d said and at the drink he was holding. He walked to the fridge, pushing aside a few Tupperware containers of leftovers to hide the new drink behind.

Once Jonghyun had arrived, they all gathered in the living room to discuss the movie viewing order. They agreed that the best way to go about it was to start strong, with an action movie. They chose Minho’s choice, The Avengers, to go in that spot. Next should be a movie that engages the mind, so they chose Jinki’s choice, Inception, to go second. After that was Taemin’s movie, Ringu, a horror movie of course, and one that Kibum wasn’t looking forward to. Taemin argued that it wasn’t fair that they went to a haunted house without him, so they deserved it. He decided that since he didn’t want to get nightmares, Kibum chose a musical for the second to last spot, deciding My Fair Lady would be a good choice. Jonghyun placed his choice, an old black and white film called The Thin Man, on the table and pushed it towards the pile.

The entire time they’d been discussing, Jonghyun had made himself as small as possible and only spoken if directly asked a question, usually by Jinki. As they finished up their movie order decision, Jinki pulled Jonghyun out of the room and into the hallway. Kibum could hear shuffling and loud fast whispering between the two boys.

“You have GOT to stop acting like that and try to be normal!”

“I’m pretty sure everyone here hates me, so I don’t even know why I’m here anyway.”

“Honestly, I don’t think anyone here hates you.” There was a pause, during which Kibum assumed Jonghyun had crossed his arms and given Jinki a very pointed look, or rolled his eyes or something. “….okay well I know for a fact that Taemin and I don’t hate you. And I seriously don’t think Kibum hates you.”

“Wishful thinking, Jinx. I deserve him hating me, at the very least.”

“HE suggested I invite you. So get over this fear you have or whatever it is. Stop being tiny and just go back to being Jonghyun. He won’t want you at all if you just act like a doormat all the time. And DON’T say what I know you’re about to say. You have time. It’s salvageable.”

A few seconds later, Jinki reentered the room, followed by Jonghyun. Jonghyun resettled himself into the chair he’d been in previously, though now he attempted to look more loose and comfortable. Honestly, it just looked really awkward. Kibum gave him a weird look, but Taemin and Minho hadn’t even noticed the oldest boys had left the room, being too busy arguing over Taemin stealing Minho’s drink.

They settled onto the seating. Jonghyun sat in the only armchair, Jinki and Minho taking love seat across from him, each sitting at opposite ends, looking a little too stiff for the situation. Taemin and Kibum chose the only couch, long enough to sprawl across, each with their head at one end and a shared blanket covering their bodies. The food was set out, the lights dimmed, and the marathon began.

The first two movies fit exactly their descriptions. Minho’s choice was exactly his style. There were explosions and battles and he sat on the edge of his seat, riveted to the screen. Kibum noticed how nervous he was acting, because he looked like he was really into the movie, but Kibum could see the side glances to make sure Jinki was enjoying it. Kibum thought it was cute how nervous Minho was around Jinki. He wished Jonghyun were more like that.

Jinki did the same thing during the movie he’d chosen. Inception was a very plot heavy film, relying on a good script rather than explosions and handsome faces to keep the movie going, a good contrast to Minho’s movie. It was rather refreshing. Occasionally, Jinki would laugh a little too forcefully at some dialogue, but Minho didn’t seem to notice. Again, Kibum thought it was cute.

The third movie was Ringu, and the only horror movie, which Kibum was thankful for. For the first 30 minutes, Kibum sat up in his seat, repeatedly beating the crap out of Taemin’s arm. Minho had switched seats with Jinki when this movie had started, placing Jinki between himself and Kibum. He knew what was coming, and he was avoiding potential bruises showing up tomorrow. Kibum wouldn’t hurt Jinki, partly because he didn’t feel like reaching so far, and partly because he was still in that super polite mode that friends have to go through before becoming close and he wasn’t sure if he could breach that line just yet. Kibum and Jinki had yet to hang out without Minho, so they hadn’t had that opportunity.

Taemin at first took great joy in the shrieks erupting from Kibum, but after 45 minutes of being hit, he decided he’d stop his teasing pokes to startle Kibum again and again whenever the music became tense. After a few minutes of leaving the older boy alone, he felt Kibum grab his arm and squeeze it close to himself. Over the next hour and a half or so that the movie continued, Kibum basically pulled Taemin into his lap, using him to block the tv, a human shield from the false danger. Honestly, this was just fine with Taemin, though a little bit uncomfortable. He could see Jonghyun glancing repeated over at them and thought he might take advantage of the situation. He settled in and let Kibum pull at his shirt and bury his face in his back whenever he needed, all while gleefully enjoying the movie.

After the movie ended, Kibum shoved Taemin off himself and stood up, stretching his arms over his head and releasing the tension from his back. He felt the cool room air brush across his stomach as his shirt lifted up and enjoyed the sensation. He rolled his head down to stretch out his neck and caught sight of Jonghyun. The older boy’s eyes were locked on the bit of exposed skin at Kibum’s midriff. He quickly dropped his arms and as he did, Jonghyun’s eyes shifted up and met Kibum’s. Neither dropped their gazes. Kibum tried to read the expression in his soulmate’s eyes, but he couldn’t understand it. It was something he’d never seen before and he couldn’t describe the look. It was almost like he was just taking in the moment. It made Kibum feel exposed, awkward, and he didn’t really know what to do with that.

Taemin had taken the opportunity to go to the bathroom during the break, so Kibum lay back down on the couch and completely stretched out. He threw his arms up above his head and closed his eyes. He didn’t realize how comfortable couches could before, but maybe he was just really tired. The sound of Minho and Jinki quietly discussing the ghosts’ motives in Ringu was very comforting, though the topic was lame, and Kibum felt his body relax even more. He was jolted back to fully aware when Taemin wiped a cold, wet finger across his again slightly exposed midriff. Kibum looked up at Taemin laughing and holding a fresh drink. He jokingly huffed at the boy. Taemin placed his drink on the coffee table and nudged Kibum with his knee.

“Scoot over, I’m laying down next to you.”

Kibum shuffled backwards until his back was against the couch and Taemin lay down beside him.

“Jinx, chuck me that pillow.” Taemin gestured lazily towards the pillow by his and Kibum’s feet on the couch. Jinki smiled and shook his head, before bopping Taemin in the face with the pillow. Taemin gave him a big grin and finger guns in response.

Kibum hadn’t realized this, but apparently Taemin’s mom was a big fan of musicals. He discovered this when both Taemin and Jinki began belting out the very first song together with the characters. Minho burst out laughing, and Kibum was so excited about it that he hugged Taemin very hard. Jinki faltered at the sound of Minho’s laughter. Minho had to suppress his chuckling to explain.

“Sorry, Kibum has been making me watching musicals with him since we were 10 and I accidentally agreed without realizing what I was getting myself into. I thought this was just gonna be Kibum humming quietly to himself the whole time! This is so much better!”

From that moment on, the rest of the movie was mostly just a performance of Kibum and Taemin acting out every song, while still laying down. Occasionally Jinki and Minho would join in, but mostly Jinki was laughing at Kibum and Taemin. Kibum kept catching Minho gazing at Jinki. The look his best friend was giving his soulmate was enough to make even Kibum’s heart flutter.

At one point, Kibum rolled over Taemin to reach his own drink on the table. He looked up and locked eyes with Jonghyun. Jonghyun’s eyes shifted between him and Taemin, making Kibum freeze and feel as if he’d been caught. Taemin looked up at him and chuckled.

“What is this, Bummie?”

Kibum, reached over and grabbed his drink, mumbling sorry to Taemin, his eyes still locked on Jonghyun. He finally turned away, shaking his head slightly and taking a swig of his drink. He had no reason to feel guilty. Everyone in this room knew his relationship with Taemin, and Jonghyun definitely didn’t have any room to talk about inappropriate relationships. The movie continued, but now Kibum was acutely aware of a pair of brown eyes staring at the top of this head the whole time.

The movie ended and Kibum decided that he finally couldn’t hold his pee any longer. He strode his way to the bathroom, taking in the pictures on the walls, the decorations and furnishings. It was a nice house, the kind that was well loved and had seen a lot of happy moments. Kibum smiled at the thought. It felt like a cozier combined version of Kibum and Minho’s own houses.

As he exited the bathroom, he found Jonghyun standing there. He moved aside to let him past, assuming he also needed the bathroom, but Jonghyun stepped in front of him again. Kibum gave him an annoyed look. Jonghyun still didn’t move.

“What?” Kibum instinctively rolled his eyes as he asked the question.

“You need to get off of him and get him off of you!”

Kibum leaned back, confused. "What? Get off of who?"

"Taemin."

Oh, so they were going to do this right here and now. That was fine with Kibum. “Why do you even care?”

“It’s gross and you’re being disrespectful to the rest of us.”

Kibum scoffed at him. “We’re not being gross, we just both enjoy physical touch. He’s my soulmate.”

“He’s not your soulmate! I am your soulmate!” Jonghyun spoke way too quickly and puffed himself up as he spoke. Was what Kibum was saying really bothering him that much? Did he really care about this stupid bond so much that he was going to be a about it?

 “As if that even matters. As if you even care about that.”

“You know nothing about me!” Jonghyun spit back. 

“Whose fault is that?”

Jonghyun stopped. He dropped his eyes and seemed to fumble around in his mind for something to counter that with. Kibum almost felt bad for him, he looked pretty lost with what to do.

“Well, you...you shouldn’t be touching him like that. And he shouldn’t be touching you, either.” Jonghyun's courage was back and he glared at Kibum.

That moment a few seconds ago when he almost felt bad for little lost Jonghyun... yeah that moment was gone. Excuse him? What right did Jonghyun have to tell Kibum how he should or shouldn’t be acting with his friends? It made Kibum’s blood boil.

“I’ll behave with my friends however I wish. It’s not like you have any interest in me anyway. You think I’m as cold and distant as you? I like being close to my friends.” Kibum hesitated for a moment before continuing. “I like touching Taemin.”

Kibum genuinely saw Jonghyun’s eyes widen and his pupils dilate. He knew that he’d said exactly the thing that would really drive Jonghyun crazy. And then he realized exactly what he’d done, and exactly what he’d been feeling all night. He realized that in his anger, he hadn’t noticed that his back was flat against the wall behind him and that Jonghyun was inches away from him, so close that one hand was actually against the wall. The place where their arms touched prickled and burned slightly, but not at all in a bad way. Kibum’s breathing became shallow and he saw Jonghyun begin to lean in...

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: You've all been very patient and sweet, and I've been loving your comments on this story! Thank you so much! I promise that it will get better. I know it's been really angsty. Occasionally I might have some haitus periods between posting, because I'm almost constantly in school, and I've got some family stuff going on. Thank you so much for being understanding and loving!

Edit: I added some stuff at the end. It's better now.