How I Met Your Father

Markjae Wonderland

"Dad, how did you meet Papa?"

Mark and Youngjae began to choke on their dinner, and two kids across from them began to freak out and scrambled to get them some water. Once the refreshing liquid was downed, the parents took the time to calm their racing hearts and share a nervous look with each other.

"Um, it's a really boring story, so I don't think it's a good idea to tell it now," Mark said, trying to avoid the topic as much as possible.

"We've got time, and Uncle Jackson gave us candy, so we're pretty hyped up right now." Bambam, their oldest son, let out a squeal of pain when his younger brother elbowed him in stomach.

"We weren't supposed to tell them that! Uncle Jackson made us promise!" Yugyeom said in a not so hushed whisper.

When he realized his mistake, Bambam's eyes widened, and he began to make up excuses and deny consuming anything that Jackson gave them when their parents weren't looking. Mark and Youngjae merely laughed at his attempt to lie his way out of trouble and decided to just let the two off the hook this time.

"So, you're not mad?" Yugyeom asked quietly, his big doe-like eyes staring up at his two dads. He was always the more obedient of the two boys, and he was the one who scolded Bambam whenever the older would do something that might upset their parents. Naturally, little Yugyeom was also the one who would feel the worst whenever he was scolded, sometimes even crying.

"Of course not," Youngjae confirmed, reaching over the table to pinch Yugyeom's and Bambam's cheeks.

"The only one who's going to get a scolding is your naughty Uncle Jackson." The kids giggled and cutely whined for him to stop when Youngjae began to squish their faces together. To the side, Mark was left smiling as he watched his husband and children laughing and playing.

"Since you're not mad, can you please tell us how you and Dad met?"

"Yeah! Please, please, please?"

The two boys had their hands clasped together, their eyes gleaming with hope.

Mark sighed and gave a look to Youngjae, who looked defeated when he gave him an affirmative nod.

Mark turned to face the kids with a trouble face and took a deep breath before speaking.

"Your Papa and I first met when we were in college. I was in my third year, while your Papa was in his first." Mark's eyes were glued to Youngjae's as he began their story, and a silent signal was sent for the latter to continue on.

"We never had any classes together, so we never saw each other around the campus. I've never even heard of your Dad's name before! But, we both knew your Uncle Jackson. He was a really friendly person, and he easily made friends with almost everyone he met."

Bambam and Yugyeom awed at their uncle's friend-making ability, then turned their attention to Mark, who stared talking again.

"I used to be a lonely person, always studying and playing video games, and Uncle Jackson got frustrated with me not having a girlfriend or boyfriend. So, one day, he told that he set me up to meet with someone."

"And that someone was Papa, right?!" Yugyeom inquired excitedly, barely keeping himself still in his seat.

"That's right. At first, I didn't want to go, because I thought it would be a waste of time. Boy, was I wrong."

"We were going to meet at this little cafe, and your Papa was running late. He made me wait for over an hour."

Mark paused, loving the cute little glare Youngjae shot at him.

"I thought he didn't want to go on our date, so I got up to leave."

"Nooo!" Bambam cried.

"You didn't really leave, right?"

Mark ruffled their hair at their cuteness. Seriously, it was as if they thought that they would never meet.

"I couldn't exactly leave when your Papa's body was slamming into mine the second I opened the door."

"Don't tease me, hyung. It's not my fault that I was running a little late."

"A little?"

Youngjae rolled his eyes. "Just get on with the story. I want to know what happened next."

Mark's eyebrows raised at his statement. Then, he smirked.

"Why don't you continue the story, honey? I'm sure you remember what happened next much better than I do."

Youngjae stiffened at his words, and he honestly didn't want to continue the story, but he also didn't want to let his kids down, especially when they were looking at him with those eyes.

"We both were on the ground before either of us could react, and I was the first one to apologize. I was already late to my date, and I felt even worse when I bumped into a stranger. Luckily for me, the person I bumped into was really sweet and even offered his hand to me to help me off of the floor. I was grateful for his kindness, and just when I was going to thank him, I lost my words completely."

Youngjae stopped abruptly, his own voice not finding the words to continue when he met eyes with Mark. He only managed to snap out of it when Bambam asked what happened next. Mark didn't let him talk though, since he was already narrating what happened after that.

"The stranger and I looked into each other's eyes, and I swear, he had the most beautiful eyes I've ever seen," Mark said breathlessly, his eyes still locked with Youngjae's. They were in their own little world at this point, and the words of their love story seemed to automatically flow out of his mouth now.

"We stayed there, our hands still grasped and eyes boring into the other's and just admiring the person in front of us. We didn't say anything at first, afraid to break the atmosphere we had going on. Your Papa, after a while of just staring, suddenly began to smile at me, and at that moment when I decided to smile right back,"

"I knew I was in love."

Their voices meshed together as they whispered the final words. Not once during that entire telling of when they first met eyes did they ever break eye contact, and they both found themselves falling for the other all over again.

The kids, although young, could see the love that their parents shared for each other. In their eyes, it was magical. It was pure. It was true.

An involuntary yawn escaping Yugyeom was what seemed to break the spell that Mark and Youngjae were entranced in, and they were back to reality.

"Alright kids, bedtime!" Youngjae announced, already lifting Yugyeom into his arms.

"But--"

"But nothing, young man. If you still want to go to the water park tomorrow with Uncle Seokjin, Uncle Namjoon, and their kids, then you have to be a good boy and go to sleep." Mark put out a pretty good argument, considering the Thai boy no longer tried to protest and just let his dad carry him.

Once the kids were in bed, and the kitchen was all cleaned up, Mark and Youngjae were finally able to relax.

With Youngjae's head resting on Mark's chest and Mark running his fingers through his lover's hair, the two were left to their own thoughts in the peaceful silent of the night.

Just when Mark thought he was falling asleep, Youngjae called his name and waited until he was looking down at him.

When he was sure that Mark was listening, Youngjae finally said what had been running around his mind ever since dinner.

"We're never telling them that we met at a gay brothel, and the reason why we met in the first place is because you heard I was a pro at and decided to buy me for a night, are we?"

"Nope."

 


There might be a prequel as to how Mark and Youngjae actually met, so stay tuned for that! But like, do you guys want it? Let me know!