Family Matters

Markjae Wonderland

"Thanks for offering to help me babysit tonight," Youngjae said as he walked side by side with Mark.

"I know we were supposed to go on a date today, so I'm sorry that we have to be babysitting instead."

In response, Mark laced his fingers with Youngjae's, an action that he knew would make the heat rise to the younger's cheeks, and told him that it was perfectly okay with him. "As long as I get to spend time with you, I'll be happy."

So, that's how the couple found themselves heading to Youngjae's house to watch over his five little brothers, while his parents planned to go on a well-deserved dinner date. They were meant to go over to Mark's place to have a movie marathon, but Youngjae couldn't turn down his parents' request when he saw how happy they were that they were going on an actual date again (without the kids). For Mark, he found this as the perfect chance to finally meet his boyfriend's family, since Youngjae had already met his.

The two were now standing on the porch of a cozy-looking two-story home. Youngjae had his key in one hand, but he didn't open the door. "Okay, before we go in, I just want to tell you that my dad can be very overprotective."

Mark assured him that everything will be fine, but Youngjae still looked a little weary.

"Think of it like his daughter bringing home her new boyfriend type of scenario, and since you're my first boyfriend, you can imagine how he might act."

"Baby, please. Aside from being attractive, I happen to also be quite the gentleman," Mark said, adding a playful bow at the end. He then urged him to open the door, which Youngjae was still hesitant about, but he eventually took his key and unlocked it.

"I'm ho--!" Not even two words in, and Youngjae was already being tackle-hugged by three of the five little monsters. The force was enough for Mark to have to steady Youngjae, so that he wouldn't fall.

"Ha! I got to Youngjae hyung first!" A little boy with brown hair and big, round eyes stuck out his tongue at the other two, who looked to be a little younger than him.

"Nuh-uh, I did!" Retorted the one with the coconut hairstyle.

"We all know I'm the best, so I obviously got to him first!" Boasted the last one.

The three began to bicker with each other, all while still having some kind of grip on Youngjae. Youngjae sighed and sent Mark a "yup, this is my life" type of smile, making him quietly laugh behind him.

The slight laughter seemed to have caught the three boys' attention, because they quit their fighting and were now focused on the strange man that was standing behind their hyung.

"Who are you?"

Before Mark could reply, Youngjae's parents walked in, and they looked fancy as . Mark recognized the beautiful woman in a classy black dress to be Youngjae's mom, for he had already met her once before. The man in the tux next to her was obviously his dad.

"Oh, Youngjae! Welcome home." His mother smiled at him, while she helped her husband straighten his bow tie. Then, she took notice of Mark.

"Mark, I'm glad to see you again. Are you here to help babysit?" The mention of Mark's name caused Youngjae's dad to look up and narrow his eyes to get a good look at him, making Mark feel a little uncomfortable.

"Um, yes," he replied awkwardly.

"I'm sorry for the trouble. Please, make yourself at home," she said and dropped her hands when she finished her work.

"So you're the one my precious son has been talking about?"

"It's nice to meet you, sir. I'm Mark Tuan."

Mark watched as the man walked closer to him, his eyes looking him over. When he was directly in front of him, the man stuck his hand out, and Mark firmly grasped it as they shook hands.

"I hope you know that if you break Youngjae's heart, you'll be hearing it from me. Understand?"

"Honey! Don't scare him off!" She scolded.

"I have to make sure that he isn't some that plays with people's feelings."

Mark chuckle and said, "I can promise you that I don't ever plan on hurting Youngjae."

Maybe it was the determined look in Mark's eyes, or maybe it was the way he looked at Youngjae when he said it, but the man let go of his hand and muttered, "You better keep your word."

"Hey, dad, who's that?" The coconut haired boy from before had walked up to his dad and tugged on his arm.

The man sighed and glanced at the other two boys who had the same confused looks on their faces. "He's your brother's... boyfriend." The way he said the last word sounded as if he didn't want to say it all.

"Ooh~" They all said at the same time, causing Youngjae to tell them to shush, his cheeks visibly heating up.

"Kids, stop teasing your hyung," their mom said as she put on her heels. "Where's Jinyoung and Jaebum?"

"I think Jinyoung hyung is reading a book, while Jaebum hyung is playing video games."

"Can you call them down to meet Mark? And tell them we're about to leave," she ordered the boys, and the oldest of the three decided to go.

A few seconds later, the same boy came rushing down the stairs with two more boys in tow. One had jet black hair and a book cradled under one of his arms. The other had straight black hair and was trailing behind the other two boys. When they were all assembled in the living room, Youngjae's mom brought both Mark and Youngjae before them.

"Mark, meet Jaebum, Jinyoung, Jackson, Kunpimook, and Yugyeom," she said, pointing to each boy as she called their names. She informed him that Jaebum, Jinyoung, and Jackson were all around the age of 10, while the remaining two were both 7. Youngjae had once told Mark that some of the boys were adopted, hence why he wasn't surprised to see that some of them shared the same age, even though they didn't seem to be twins.

"Boys, meet Mark. He's going to be helping Youngjae watch over you, so behave." The boys all greeted him, some more enthusiastically than others.

After introductions and a few warnings from Youngjae's dad to Mark, the parents finally left to go have the night of their lives. Even after they left, all of them were left standing in the living room, the little ones staring up at Mark.

Then, Jackson turned to the two latecomers and said excitedly, "Jaebum! Jinyoung! Dad says Mark hyung is Youngjae hyung's boyfriend. Isn't that cool?"

This new information caused Jaebum to start glaring at Mark, who could do nothing but stand frozen to his spot, letting the child just glare at him.

"Youngjae, I think that one hates me," Mark whispered.

The latter just rolled his eyes and told the young boy to stop giving Mark such a dirty look, which probably only fueled Jaebum to stare with an even harsher glare. Youngjae and the others boys could see the tension in the air, so Youngjae coughed to get their attentions.

"Mark hyung and I are going to watch some movies down here, so you guys can just run off and do whatever you want."

"Ooh! Can we watch, too?" Kunpimook pleaded, his hands laced together as he looked up to Youngjae with puppy dog eyes.

"Please hyung," Yugyeom joined him. After him, Jackson joined in as well, and even Jinyoung and Jaebum seemed a little interested in watching, too.

Youngjae side glanced at Mark, silently asking if it was okay if the little ones joined them. He sighed in relief when he saw him nod, and he moved to go get snacks, while Mark began to set up the movie.

"Jinyoung, can you help me with the snacks, please?" Youngjae asked the boy, who gladly followed him to the kitchen.

Meanwhile, the other kids had all run to grab their pillows and blankets and whatnot. Jackson was even thoughtful enough to grab Youngjae's blanket for him. Then, they began to set up all of their stuff on the long couch in front of the tv, which would fortunately be able to squeeze in all seven of them.

"I want to sit next to Mark hyung," Jackson declared, putting his blanket and stuffed Squirtle on a random spot on the couch.

"Only if Yugyeom and I get to sit next to each other." Kunpimook didn't even wait for an answer, and he took it upon himself to place Yugyeom's and his belongings at the end of the couch, alongside Jackson's.

Once the movie was in and playing the trailers, Mark sat down in the middle of the couch after turning off all of the lights. Jackson was a talkative one, he figured, when the young boy began to animatedly talk with Mark, asking question after question, all of which he happily answered.

"Jaebum hyung, where are you going to sit?" Jackson asked after Yugyeom called him out for asking Mark too many questions.

"Next to Youngjae hyung and Jinyoung," he said simply, taking a seat next to Mark, but leaving a space for Youngjae. Mark could feel the daggers being stared into him by the young boy, but he chose to try and ignore it.

When the trailers were done, the screen to play the movie popped up, and that was when the door to the kitchen opened, with Youngjae and Jinyoung emerging with three bowls of buttery popcorn.

"Hurry up, hyung! The movie is about to start."

"Yeah, we need our popcorn," Kunpimook deadpanned.

"Glad to know you guys care about me, too."

A bowl of popcorn was handed to Kunpimook, who would be sharing with Yugyeom and Jackson, while Jinyoung had another bowl to share with Jaebum, and Youngjae shared with Mark. Now, despite how large and how filled to the brim of popcorn these bowls were, they were all empty before the movie could even reach halfway, which was fine for Mark, since he much rather preferred to be cuddling with his sunshine, and that's exactly what they did under the warmth of Youngjae's blanket throughout the rest of the movie.

"Youngjae hyung, food~," the two youngest brothers plus Jackson whined to their now sleeping big brother. None of the kids had fallen asleep during the movie, but the two oldest in the household were fast asleep in each other's arms. Jackson had been the first to notice and was quick to use Youngjae's phone to take a million pictures, and yeah, they were cute and all (even Jaebum had to admit), but now the kids were hungry, and they needed someone to make them dinner.

The kids tried so many times to wake Youngjae up, but they knew better than that. They knew that no matter what, Youngjae wouldn't be waking up any time soon. The one person they did manage to stir awake was Mark.

"What's up, kids?" He yawned and stretched out his limbs, careful not to wake his lover up in the process. He rubbed the crust out of his eyes and focused on the kids in front of him, who all said the same word at once.

"Food."

- - - - -

"It's not much, but I promise it's the best instant ramen you'll ever eat."

After looking through all of the food he could work with, Mark had settled with making what he was probably best at, and that was making ramen. The other kids seemed to be enjoying the food, but there was one in particular who seemed to be "afraid" of the bowl of noodles and soup.

"Jaebum, why aren't you eating?" Jinyoung asked worriedly. "You need to eat."

"It looks weird," Jaebum said, turning away from the bowl, his chin slightly stuck out.

It wasn't that weird. It just had some cheese on top, but other than that, it was normal ramen.

Mark sighed when he saw that Jaebum didn't trust the food that he made. He thought that he would at least trust him to make him food, but he supposed he was wrong. Jaebum was just a tough nut to crack, he concluded.

"Is that ramen?" They all turned their heads to see Youngjae waking up from his nap, the blanket Mark put around him falling to his lap.

"Come and eat, Youngjae hyung!"

"Yeah. The ramen Mark hyung made is really really good," Jackson said, his mouth full of noodles.

"Don't talk with your mouth full," Youngjae scolded Jackson as he made his way to the dining table. He took a seat in between his boyfriend and Jaebum, who still refused to even look at the food.

"Thank you," he thanked Mark when he served him a bowl of ramen, and he even managed to get a little peck on the nose. Little Jaebum saw the interaction and seemed to relax his shoulders, if only a little bit.

When asked why he wasn't eating, Jaebum didn't respond, but Youngjae knew exactly why he hasn't touched his food.

"You know," Youngjae began, taking his chopsticks and raising some noodles to his mouth. "Mark hyung makes the best ramen. You should try it." As if to emphasize his point, Youngjae hummed in delight when the food entered his mouth.

"What was that?" Youngjae asked, amused at what he just heard Jaebum mumble.

"I'll try it," he mumbled again.

Needless to say, Jaebum ended up finishing the whole bowl, all while having the faintest of blushes on his cheeks.

- - - - -

"Did you all change into your pajamas?"

"Yes."

"Did you all brush your teeth?"

"Yes."

After making sure that everyone did their bedtime routines, they were all sent to bed. There wasn't much cleaning up to do, since everyone helped to clean up already. So, while Youngjae tucked in those who claimed they needed to be tucked in (*cough* Jackson *cough*), Mark sat patiently in Youngjae's bed, waiting so that they could fall asleep together.

"Mark hyung," a high-pitched voice said from the doorway. Said male looked up and noticed two of the boys standing there, more specifically, Jinyoung and Jaebum.

"Hey. Did you guys need something?"

They didn't say anything, but Jinyoung was holding Jaebum's hand and pulled him over to stand in front of Mark. For a while, neither of them spoke, for they looked like they couldn't find the words to speak.

Jaebum, although barely audible, was the first one to speak. "Do you love Youngjae hyung?"

Just the sound of his name made Mark smile, and both of the youngsters could see just how in love he was with Youngjae from that simple smile.

"Of course I do."

"You won't make him cry right?" Jinyoung asked, his eyebrows furrowed. "Or hurt him?"

"Never."

"Pinky promise?" Another voice asked. They all looked towards the door to find Jackson, Kunpimook, and Yugyeom peeking in from the doorway. They all had their pinkies out and were anticipating Mark's answer.

Mark smiled at them all, seeing as they cared so much about Youngjae. Now it was even clearer to him that the reason why Jaebum was so hostile towards him was because he didn't want his hyung getting hurt by some guy. 

He gestured for them all to come to him, and when they were all gathered together, he stuck his pinkie out and locked pinkies with each and every one of them.

"Pinkie promise."

"Group hug!" Jackson yelled out of nowhere and took the chance to jump on top of Mark and wrap his arms around him. Then, the others followed and practically piled on top of the poor guy, who did his best to wrap his own arms around all five of them.

"Jackson, I got you that weird organic tea you asked for..." Youngjae trailed off when he walked into the room, because he was shocked and confused as to why everyone was suddenly hugging and smiling and just being buddy-buddy with each other. He was especially surprised to see that Jaebum seemed to not want to murder Mark anymore.

"I don't know what's going on, but it's bedtime, so go to bed." 

The kids all said their "Goodnight's" to both Mark and Youngjae, and finally left the two in peace. They didn't exactly say much after they left, but no words had to be said whenever it was just the two of them. All they needed was each other.

- - - - -

"If Mark hyung and Youngjae hyung get married, does that mean Mark hyung will be our new brother?"

Youngjae's dad began to choke on his coffee after hearing the sudden question from Jackson, and it took all of Youngjae's mother's strength to not laugh at her husband, who was literally on the brink of choking to death.

"Jackson! Don't ask weird questions!" Youngjae was already flustered and trying not to freak out from the mention of marriage.

"I don't know. I think it'll be great to have five little brothers."

"Mark hyung!"

"Absolutely not! I refuse to give away my son so soon!"

"Oh come on, honey. I don't think it's such a bad idea."

"Mom~!"

Family. You gotta love 'em. 

 

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

I'm so sorry if this was trash.