Addiction

It's 2PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnrI_JaAppo 

 

 

 

Ever hate it when someone repeatedly says your name for no reason? Or when they bother you to the extreme? But don't you despise it the most when you find yourself running back to them in the end? It's like a song stuck in your mind. Despite it getting old, you can never get it out of your head. It's like it's glued in there for good – like unwanted gum.

 

Hyunjae loved gum. It was an addiction of hers to always have a pack of it with her. But her parents, both oral surgeons, were against this unhealthy drug of hers. She agreed with them in a way, but she wasn't sure about it now. Her current flavor of the month, er, months was too addicting. She needed it, but she wasn't sure if he really needed her.

 

So she sat there in the library, staring at the screen with a fixed look on her face. Her hands were itching to reach inside her messenger bag for a piece of gum, and it took all her will power to go against her want. Because Hyunjae wasn't about to waste her time giving into her wants, she was going to use it to focus on her needs – whatever they were.

 

“Oh no, Sunmi, call for an ambulance, she's thinking.” Sooyoung whispered loudly. Hyunjae twitched and stared at the picture in front of her harder. Leave it to her friends to disrupt her moment of silence. But she was happy though, Sunmi, between the two of them, was the most thoughtful one, more or less. So if anything, she would have the two of them spot her rather than Sooyoung come to her alone.

 

Sunmi examined the picture on Hyunjae's screen, deep in thought.

 

“You like him?” she spat the last word in dissatisfaction. Hyunjae flashed her eyes at the blond. “Care to be more specific? There are seven boys in front of me that can be accounted as a him.” she remarked. Sunmi leaned back and crossed her arms. Meanwhile, Sooyoung was too confused to comprehend the situation – something which Hyunjae was thankful for.

 

“Don't play dumb with me. That's her job,” she jerked her thumb at Sooyoung. In return, she replied with a 'humph' and left the two alone. She muttered things about having the worst friends in the world before subsiding into thoughts about the newest K-Pop boy groups. Hyunjae frowned, and sighed.

 

“Okay, yeah. I do. Is there a problem with it? You like one of them too.” she replied. Sunmi's face twisted into a sour expression. “Yeah, a hot one. Not a...nobody. He's nothing compared to the others.” declared Sunmi. Hyunjae tried not to strangle her. Sometimes, people were too focused on looks and popularity. She kept her retort back and faced the screen again.

 

“I'm just saying, you could and can do better, Jae. By the way, got gum?” Sunmi, although too blunt and observant, was smart enough to know when to back off. Hyunjae fumbled with her fingers and shook her head. No, in attempts of getting over her wants, she had stopped bringing gum with her. Although, she knew that there was a pack carefully hidden from her parents in her bag, she refused to share it with Sunmi.

 

“Oh, right. Addiction problems. Sorry, well I'll guess I'll go now then. Y'know, check up on Miss Beauty and No Brains.” she stated, and with a haughty look, left. Hyunjae rolled her eyes and checked the picture again. She had to admit, Sunmi did have a point. The person she – her heart, chose wasn't one of the handsomer ones in the group, but he was good enough for her. In fact, he looked the best compared to the others.

 

. . . . . .

 

 

“This must be a world record. You guys are over – again! For what? The millionth time?” pestered Wooyoung. He wasn't like the others and had his doubts on his hyung's 'girl'. The others shot him glare and even playful, not serious, Park Jaebeom, shot him a look.

 

“Tenth, actually.” calculated Junho. He gave his hyung an apologetic look before returning to wiping the sweat off his face, and probably the rest of his body. Taecyeon and Nichkhun both gave him a pat on the back while Chansung remained quiet. He never really acquainted himself with situations like these. His excuse being that he was too young.

 

“Sorry, hyung. But this has been dragging on for too long. Man up, face her. Don't put yourself down and keep going back to her and receive the same ending.” Wooyoung advised, and to lighten the mood, Nichkhun chuckled. He put an arm around the younger man's shoulders. “Aw, look at you, acting like an expert of love.” he teased, pinching his cheek.

 

. . . . . .

 

Hyunjae sat in her room, and glared at the pack of gum in her hands. How does one quit an unhealthy addiction? She questioned herself. She had searched up tips online, yet none were actually helpful. None could relate with her problem. She frowned and reached inside for a piece. She unwrapped the packaging and stared at the pink strip of gum. “To eat, or not to eat? That is thy question.” she said quietly. She sighed and threw the whole thing at the wall. It landed on her desk, beside her phone.

 

She hated the guiltiness hanging around her neck. She was quite sure it would choke her soon if she didn't attempt to fix things for the better.

 

Do I really need this?

 

Or do I just want it?

 

My friends have their own relationships...

 

What if I'm just using him?

 

She scribbled down her thoughts on a piece of paper. Her head felt somewhat lighter.

 

Again and again, I keep coming back to you.

 

I don't know why.

 

Again and again, I fall for your words, and again, I don't know why...

 

Am I a fool? Getting tricked again and again...

 

What kind of addiction, Hyunjae stared at the last word. Was he really an addiction? She looked back at the pack of gum. No, that was an addiction. He was and is her solution to the problem. He got rid of her habit and kept her doubts and fears at bay...No, he wasn't that word. She put an 'X' over it.

 

What kind of medicine are you, that I can't give up

 

Even without me knowing, I keep yearning for you, and eventually...

 

Look for you again.

 

Damn it, why am I like this?!
 

How many times do I have to do this for me to come back to my senses?!
 

Again and again...

 

Her phone rang. Hyunjae jumped and answered it.

 

“Hey. . .”

 

. . . . .

 

 

The two stared at each other. Hyunjae wondering how on earth he got here, and Junsu trying to remain focused on his mission.

 

“Um, this isn't exactly the most wonderful place to be in...So can I?”

 

Hyunjae snapped back to her senses and helped Junsu into her room. He had climbed the tree beside it, and was sitting on a sturdy branch she had used as an old place to hide from her parents. When Junsu got in, he spotted a piece of paper filled with seemingly meaningless words. Once he got a better view of it..he blinked.

 

“I like you.” Hyunjae blurted. This caught the two in surprise, even Hyunjae was shocked that the words had slipped from . Junsu turned to fully face her.

 

“You always say that,” he began. “And break up with me in the end.”

 

The rope of guilt around Hyunjae's neck tightened. Naturally, she choked on her own words. He was precisely correct. She always broke up with him, and why was that?

 

“Because you're never there.”

Junsu would too, have been hesitating to reply back, but he was prepared this time.

 

“You know that, though. And I thought you would understand that.” he said. Hyunjae sighed and sat down on her bed. She blinked repeatedly until the waterworks stopped turning their cogs.

 

“I thought so too...” she clenched the soft fabric beneath her fingers.

 

“But I guess I just can't do it, Junsu.” she stared at him, the tears b at her eyes.

 

“I'm not as strong as you, and I think...we should -”

 

“Break up.” Junsu cut off. He didn't think it would actually come up to that. Although, they had indeed broken up a few times, he always knew that they would get back together again.

 

“Y-yeah, and this time, it's official.” That was the word that he always feared of hearing, and now, it was spoken. He sighed and reached out for her. At least, he'd hug her one last time. Hyunjae flinched back.

 

“No. I..You can't touch me. So please, walk out of my life, Junsu. I don't want to see your face or hear your voice ever, again.” she said. Then, she pointed at the piece of paper she had previously written on.

 

“I thought, as an apology, you could use that as a song...I put in some notes to start the tone of the song, I hope it helps.” she added. Junsu picked it off the table. Somehow, the lyrics written in the blank lines reflected their – old - relationship. And with a few tweaks, he was sure that it would actually make a good song for his group to sing. He looked back at Hyunjae.

 

“Are you sure about this?” asked Junsu.

 

She gave him a brief smile.

 

“We – you, deserve this, Junsu. I've put you down so many times, you deserve to go and be happy.” she replied.

 

“And you?”

 

Hyunjae blinked.

 

“I'll be waiting.”

 

__________________________________________________________________________________
 

Ahjumma, is that all?” I questioned. We were at the hospital, a cold and dreaded place to be. She was lying in one of those patient beds with me at side. Our afternoons together had dwindled to one tale per week. It had been seven weeks now, and there was no sign of her getting better. She nodded her head.

 

I'm afraid so, dear. You've made me tell you all my tales.” she chuckled. I cracked a smile and gave her some water to drink. Her endless energy seemed to be meeting its end. I refused to believe that.

 

W-wait! What about Wooyoung's story? You never finished that..” I said. She smiled again and ruffled my hair. I didn't mind unlike other girls. My hair was never straight nor smooth. It was short and always frizzy. Any attempts to tame it would just make my hair look worse.

 

He's your grandfather.”

 

I blinked more than I could have possibly imagined.

 

His story though..You never finished it!” I exclaimed. She laughed at my confusion.

 

Like I said before, he was famous. And so, he gave me a 'new' name, Sanghee, just in case fans recognized him and heard him saying my real name. He was a sweetheart, really. I had your father a few years after he returned serving our country.” she explained. I nodded and slowly digested the information. This all sounded like a load of lies, but it was my grandmother saying them! And anything she said was always the truth! She never dare hid a secret nor lied to me.

 

If he is my grandfather..” I spoke with caution. I didn't want to say something offending.

 

Then where is he?” I asked. The same look passed her eyes. “Wherever I go next.” she whispered.

 

___________________________________________________________________________________
 

Disclaimer : The 'thoughts' are the translated lyrics of 2PM's song

“Again and Again” which I do not own.

 

ps. This isn't the end

& hopefully my wonderfully intelligent readers can guess

which song Junsu uses to secretly declare that he & Hyunjae are back together.

For good.

 

Hint : the song has been promoted and is in one of their older albums.

 

I might give the first person to guess the song correctly a one-shot present~

Just for fun~

 

Update : My offer has been closed. The answer was "I'll Be Back"

 

Thanks and have a nice day/night!