Only Time Will Tell

It's 2PM

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeA1SJB5BnE 

(You guys know the deal~ Keep it on replay~ Thank you.)

 

July

 

Thinking too much should be banned from life. Relationships are broken, doubt blossoms, life landslides, and the truth is revealed. Chaerin was never a critical thinker. She was content with the knowledge she had and preferred things to work at their own pace. She liked surprises, she didn't want to expect them until two seconds before it actually happened.

 

So standing behind the cashier and watching customers, mainly couples and families, walk in and out was very dangerous to her belief. Her mind was always threatening to fall into deeper thoughts, and she didn't want that. But when the store door jingled, she was surprised to spot a lone figure walk through it. Chaerin stood up straighter.

 

“Annyonghaseyo! Welcome to Jo & In's Ice Cream Shoppe!” she exclaimed. was aching from the overuse of it. The tall man nodded and observed the menu above her. Chaerin took this chance to examine him – which was pretty hard. The man had covered up his facial features pretty well. But Chaerin could see the sculpted muscles underneath the exposed proportion of his black t-shirt.

 

“So, see anything you like?” she asked, leaning over the counter. Her interest had worn off.

 

 

August

 

 

He came back again, but this time, with company. Three other men were behind him. Chaerin looked around. There were barely any people left, just two couples huddled in separate corners each others' face off. She shuddered and faced the new customers.


“The usual?” she asked. If she thought about it, he hadn't really given her his name yet. Which was awkward, basically all customers gave her their name. That is, if they were recent ones. And this man was slowly becoming a recent visitor. He nodded, again.

 

“And what can I get for you three?” she turned to the other men. Their faces, like Chansung, were hidden except for one. He had soft, boyish features that would easily make women swoon over him. Chaerin didn't, however and smiled patiently.

 

“You.” The smile hadn't wavered. The cute boy's friends groaned simultaneously as some hit him on the arm. “Are you going to try that with every girl we talk to, Jay?” one of them asked. Jay, the guy who was hitting on her, shrugged innocently. “Only the cute ones, and she is cute. Right, Chansung?” he grinned as he looked over at Chaerin's almost weekly visiting customer. She was pretty sure that behind that scarf of his, his cheeks were an amazing red.

 

“Right, well, sorry. I'm taken. Anything else I can get you, sir?” asked Chaerin. Jay shook his head and turned to look for a table with another man. “Can I get double fudge in a cone?” the second shortest of the group questioned. Chaerin nodded and scurried over to get their orders. When she returned, it was only Chansung left. He took off his sunglasses, and causing Chaerin to blink.

 

“Er, here.” she mumbled, handing him the two cones. She took his cash and began to take the right amount of change from the machine. Even though she knew what he would say next, she still persisted on trying to hand him back his change. “Keep it. Oh, and..”

 

“Chaerin.” filled in Chaerin. She dropped the 100 won into the donation box. Chansung had never bothered to talk to her after the money exchange.

 

“Do you, er, really have a boyfriend?” he asked. Chaerin burst out into a fit of laughter. She had a suitor that her parents insisted she marry, but otherwise, no. She shook her head.

 

“But I would appreciate it if you don't tell your friend that.” she added, looking over at Jay. He was flashing the two kiss-y faces and it annoyed her. Chansung followed her gaze and a vacant look filled his eyes. It appeared to her that he had seen his friend do this one too many times. He cast her one more glance before walking away. Chaerin chuckled as she caught his silent apology.

 

 

 

September

 

 

 

School was also another thing that should be banned; according to Chaerin. Her work shifts had altered for the worst, and now, she was faced with a hectic schedule. Between basketball practice, babysitting, working at the shop, and school work; there wasn't any space left for leisure time and dating – something she would like try out this year.

 

Sighing, Chaerin pulled up her backpack and poured out its contents onto the table. The owner of the store often let her do her studies in the shop. He was old and kind, and deprived of grandchildren. With Chaerin treating him like her own grandfather and such, she was lucky to be blessed some space from her parents' prying eyes.

 

Sketch due at end of the month.

 

Her handwriting was anything but neat, and Chaerin suddenly wished it was. Then maybe, teachers would quit pestering her about her lousy penmanship and pay more attention to her artwork. If they did, then there would a chance that they would get off her back and realize that her skills were above average. At least, compared to the rest of her class, she had pure talent. The others had pure technology. Chaerin scoffed. Where her professors blind when faced with fake work, or were they just that inexperienced with printed copies? Unknowingly, she had broken the lead of her pencil and smeared the blank canvas with a dark gray smudge.

 

“Gwenchanna?”

 

Her head shot around, and Chaerin momentarily felt pain shoot up her neck. She nodded her head at the voice – Chansung's voice.

 

“You're an artist?” he asked, taking the empty seat across of her. Chaerin shrugged. “Depends on how you mean it. I can't sing, but I can draw.” she replied. Chansung chuckled and Chaerin finally noticed the cup of ice-cream in front of her face. She slowly took it and looked over at Chansung. She realized that his face wasn't covered for the first time. And strangely, she preferred the mysterious air around him gone. He looked like a human being now.

 

“Thought you'd be hungry, I know I always am.” he spoke slowly, as if scared to enter a dangerous territory. Chaerin rolled her eyes at this thought and smiled thankfully. “Try famished! Thank you!” said Chaerin.

 

 

October

 

 

 

The store was just closing. It was the night before Halloween. Chaerin hummed a soft melody to herself as she mopped the tiled floor. The owner, Jo Han Ahjusshi, was counting up today's income of money at a lone table. It had been like this every night for the past month. A content silence always sitting in the air. The two workers greeted it humbly as they finished up for the day.

 

“So, how did we do Ahjusshi?” asked Chaerin. She leaned against the mop as she towered over his table. Jo Han smiled warmly at her and beckoned Chaerin to take a seat. Confused, she did.

 

“He's courting you.”

 

Chaerin blinked.

 

“And you're falling for him.”

 

She bowed and left.

 

 

November

 

 

 

He hadn't visited yet, and today was the last day of the month.

 

Chaerin concluded that what Jo Han Ahjusshi said was nonsense.

 

She wouldn't think further on about the him.

 

 

December

 

 

It was cold.

 

Chansung promised her that he would start bringing her hot chocolate when Winter arrived.

 

He hadn't showed up since then.

 

It was going to be Christmas tomorrow.

 

Chaerin had stopped by the shop.

 

He never came by, but she wished him a happy day never the less.

 

She hid his present, bought three months before the actual day it was needed.

 

 

 

January

 

 

Jo Han Ahjusshi had passed away.

 

He died with a smile; he would be reunited with his wife again – In Young.

 

The shop was officially and legally hers.

 

Chansung only felt like a dream to her now.

 

 

February

 

 

 

Chaerin had a fight with her supposed suitor.

 

The ice-cream shop had been bought away from her possession by him.

 

Chaerin, although jobless, focused more on her studies.

 

She buried her memory's of Chansung a long time ago.

 

 

March

 

 

April

 

 

June

 

 

July

 

It was today, that they had first met.

 

Chansung returned to the shop.

 

It was still there, but she wasn't.

 

 

August

 

 

 

Chaerin became a photographer, something completely different from the course she had taken in college. But nonetheless, she was payed well. She didn't complain.

 

“Your pretty and thin. You must have a boyfriend.” stated one of the workers she barely knew. Chaerin shook her head. She had tried dating a while ago, it didn't go well. She felt like she was cheating on nonexistent relationship with Chansung.

 

“Shame.” and with that, she walked away.

 

 

September

 

 

It was their anniversary soon.

 

Or well, sort of.

 

The day where Chaerin and Chansung officially became friends was coming up.

 

Chaerin decided to do something about it and went to visit the ice-cream shop. It was still running, and the flavors were still the same. Nothing had changed, except that Ahjusshi wasn't the owner anymore, and that she wasn't working. She ordered ice-cream and ate it slowly at a table. Two hours passed, and she left, feeling emptier than before.

 

Chansung did the same thing another hour later – the same exact hour they claimed to be friends.

 

 

October

 

 

November

 

 

December

 

 

It was snowing, and Chaerin was cold. She sat in the park across of the ice-cream shop. It was scheduled to be demolished tomorrow. She wanted to have one last look at it before it was gone. The empty space beside her was filled. She didn't bother to check who it was.

 

Meanwhile, Chansung had heard the sad news. He too, wanted a last look of the place that had brought him happiness while filling his stomach at the same time. There was a woman beside him, but he payed her no heed. She seemed old with the dark coat around her. Her hair was thick, but like other girls around his age and younger – it didn't hold a shine. Hers always shined, even sparkled. It smelt like ice-cream too, he thought.

 

Chaerin stood up and left.

 

 

January

 

 

 

Almost two years ago, she would have killed herself for going against her beliefs. But she had changed, and Chaerin thought – a lot. She sat on the ground in front of Jo Han's tombstone. She thought, and thought. And she knew. She loved Chansung. Hell, she still loved him. She knew that she knew this way before their second encounter, but she couldn't believed she had waited this long to accept it. She wondered where he was now.

 

 

February

 

 

March

 

April

 

 

 

“I don't want to take pictures again.” said Chansung. He was tired of the countless photo shoots they always had. Taecyeon sighed and left him. “Whatever, I'll just tell Minjae hyung!” he threatened and left the room. Chansung grumbled and picked himself off the ground. Sometimes, he wondered why they couldn't be understanding for once.

 

With a conclusion that, that would be impossible to happen, he walked towards the door and bumped into someone. He caught their wrist before they could collide with the floor.

 

“Yah! Watch where you're going you big giant!”

 

That voice.

 

“Ch-Chaerin?” stuttered Chansung.

 

Indeed, before him, stood the woman he could never forget.

 

Chaerin blinked. She was just as surprised as he was. But she came back to her senses faster. Jumping to her toes, she threw her arms around his neck and pressed her lips firmly against his. Never wanting to let go, she did after a few seconds. It was enough for her though. At least she now knew he was still alive, and that the person in front of her was real. “Sorry,” she mumbled, noticing Chansung's bewildered look. He shook his head and softly pecked her lips.

 

“I love you.”