All Because of April

It's 2PM

 

(Please keep this song playing throughout the whole one-shot.)

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISRVCZqa228

 

No! No! No!” June watched as her little sister screamed at their mother. Those exquisite blue eyes that used to bring comfort to her, only brought pain now. She couldn't recognize her own mom any more; however, if she somehow obtained magical powers that would allow her to fix the mess she had created, then by means – maybe June would.

 

April, please. This is for the best. I don't want to bring suffering into this family anymore. I love you sweetheart.” the perfect, blond hair showered down her sister's cheeks, tickling them as her mother's lips brushed her forehead. She lifted her head and turned to June – she made no signs of moving from her spot. But she wanted to. She wanted to be in her mother's arms again, and cry until someone else pried her body off of her. Though she couldn't, and that was the last time she ever saw her.

 

July Harrington died two days later.

 

. . . . .

 

 

June! June! Look what that nice mister bought me!” April hopped. She held a cone of pink ice-cream in her tiny hands. Despite the fact that she recently celebrated her tenth birthday, she hadn't grown an inch taller than last year – or the year before that. It was if she was perpetually stuck in the body of a seven-year-old.

 

June raised her eyes and spotted a boy, no more than a few months, or ever days, younger than her, standing across the park. He met her gaze and offered a friendly smile acquainted with a small wave. June tore her eyes away from him. She bent down to April's level and put a hand on her shoulder. She shook her head at the little girl, causing her to frown. “But why June? He gave it to me on his own free will! I don't want to throw it away.” she whined. June glared at her sister. April sighed. “Fine.”

 

Actions spoke more than words for June. She hadn't uttered more than a sentence since her mother's death. June didn't know why, but her voice seemed to grow fainter as the years passed by. She was seventeen now. She could barely talk.

 

Bye mister!” April shouted across the park. The boy smiled as he waved his hand in the air again. June gently tugged on April's hand, guiding her away from him.

 

Neither sister saw the man again.

 

. . . . . .

 

 

A full six years had passed. June was in college. Her father remained at home, going to work, and returning back drunk. Her sister, April, had died of cancer six months after her encounter with the strange man at the park. If not for the quiet reminder of letters coming from her father, then she would have thought that she was all alone.

 

June, I know you aren't mute. So talk to me!” her dorm mate, Sarah, exclaimed. June's eyes wondered over to the short girl. Except for the red hair, her whole face reminded her of her little sister. Life was cruel.

 

Sarah sighed exasperatedly. Having spent a couple years together in a dorm, you would have thought she and June had at least one decent conversation. They hadn't.

 

Well, June. You know how they were having an international program here?” June shook her head; Sarah rolled her eyes.

 

Well they were. There was also a content I joined, and won. The winner, that's me, gets to travel to S. Korea for Spring Break. I'm allowed to bring one student with me too, you know, for company purposes – and I thought I'd bring you. Your mother, is, after all, Korean right?” she asked. June's eyes flickered over at her mother's picture. She had kept it after all these years for an unknown reason. She nodded her head.

 

So you speak the language? Or well some of it at least, too, right?” Sarah pestered. June hesitantly nodded again. Sarah's face broke into a grin. “Perfect! Well, we'll be leaving in two weeks!” And with that, she left her.

 

June's lips formed a frown. She was being used, in terms for communication purposes. Otherwise, Sarah would have ever bothered, nor even thought, to bring her along.

 

Umma.” she whispered, her voice cracking. She rose from her bed and took the picture of her mother from the window sill. Her heart ached at the sight of her mother's smile. Her old mother's smile. It was true that her mother was Korean, but she was also part American too; the reason for her blond hair.

 

I miss you.” she muttered, hugging the picture frame to her heart. She always held the belief that her mother never left her, that she was still alive somewhere. Because, the woman that did leave her and her sister in the past, was a stranger in the form of her mother's appearance. It was the only hope that kept her going.

 

 

. . . . .

 

Girls of all ages pushed and shoved against each other in the cold weather. June's teeth chattered as she watched them from the back. Sarah was not part of them. Instead, she just laughed at their attempts to get a better view of their crushes and stood by June.

 

Stupid girls. Good thing they gave us backstage passes, right June?” she turned to the freezing girl. Unlike Sarah, June wasn't informed that the weather in Korea wouldn't be warm. So all she had was an inch thick sweater with a gray hoodie worn over it. Sarah wore the typical winter coat.

 

Come off of it, June! Are you that cold?” she asked. June nodded. Sarah frowned and tugged her away from the screaming women. “I pity you, really, I do. But I guess we should head backstage now for your safety. No point in seeing them arrive with you dead on your feet.” she stated. And for once, June was thankful for Sarah's small heart.

 

. . . . .

 

Annyounghaeseyo!” Sarah and June bowed. Sarah had taken into learning the formal way of greeting people after making a mistake with an old man. She had been accused to be very disrespectful. The men bowed back at the two girls. June could only give a small smile in return as each of them introduced themselves.

 

And you girls must be the students that won the contest right?” a man, with a dazzling smile, questioned. Sarah emerged into a fit of giggles as she nodded her head. She probably thought he was hotter than the rest just because he could speak English.

 

Techinically, I'm the winner. She's just my friend who I got to bring alone.” she replied. Taecyeon, the man who spoke, smiled back. “So, what are your names?” he asked. Sarah wasted no second in answering back.

 

I'm Sarah Jenkins. This is,” she looked over at me. June could tell she was wondering whether she would speak or not. She did.

 

June Harrington.” June smiled. One of the guys stepped up before any more words could be exchanged.

 

Do you have a little sister named April?” Nichkhun asked. He didn't know what made him ask this so suddenly. But he did feel a small connection with the little girl. Almost as if the two of them had forged a brother and sister bond between those few minutes.

 

June jumped at this question. How could he have possibly known her sister? But never the less, she nodded her head. Nichkhun moved back into the line of boys with a smile.

 

I don't think you'll remember me. But I'm the guy who bought her ice-cream at the park a few years ago. Remember?” June lifted an eyebrow as she looked at him. At a closer inspection, he did resemble that boy. Although, he had lost his wild hairstyle. A small grin tugged at her lips as she recalled how weird it looked.

 

I take that as a yes?” Nichkhun asked. June nodded.

 

How is she?” Her grin disappeared. And as if an unknown order passed among the other boys, Taecyeon ushered them out – along with a confused Sarah.

 

Oh. Never mind then, you don't – “

 

She's dead. She died six months after you met her.” June spoke. Nichkhun's face fell apart. He instantly covered the distance between them and hugged June tightly. She cried.

 

I'm sorry I asked.” he whispered, leading her to a chair to sit down on. She did as she continued to quietly sob. Minutes passed, and they remained like that for quite a while. It was when Nichkhun began to stand up, did June begin to shake her head. She clung onto his arms with all her might.

 

Please, don't leave me.” she cried. Nichkhun sat back down beside her. He gave her hand a squeeze.

 

Never.