Epilogue

What A Long Ride

Donghyuck is livid. They have been waiting for almost 20 minutes now for the lovey-dovey-sickly-puke-inducing-disgusting couple of the year. He thinks back when Renjun and Yukhei were still together and thought that they weren’t this too much of an eyesore. However, this is Na Jaemin we are talking about, even though his boyfriend, Lee Jeno is rational than most, the former isn’t, and to top with his irrationality, impulsiveness, and crazy antics, he just had to be the clingiest boyfriend the world has to cater.

Normal Jaemin is already late to almost everything, but with Jeno in the mix, he became twice later than usual, and Donghyuck absolutely detests tardiness. Seeing the sour mood that he has become, Mark, Renjun, Jisung, and Chen Le backed off a little in fear of having that anger directed at either of them.

“Yah! Na Jaemin! Lee Jeno! You two tards, come down this instant or I’ll pull you by your ankles! You are not even important in this event but we have to wait for the two of you to start!” Donghyuck finally erupted and bellowed. Not a minute later, the couple came downstairs, slightly disoriented (mostly on Jeno’s part). “Damn Hyuck, you are loud.” Jaemin rolled his eyes. The nerve of the guy, in irritation Donghyuck smacked his head, “If Yukhei hyung’s plan got ruined because of you, I’ll skin you and your boyfriend alive before leaving you out in the sun.”

Renjun, the ever-oblivious member of the group, furrowed his eyebrows upon hearing his ex-boyfriend’s name in the issue. “What’s got Yukhei got to do with our picnic?” And everybody froze at his words. Damn Donghyuck and his anger management issues.

Mark, in hopes of mending the damage, fumbles and tried to cover it up with his ill-patched lie. “D-did we mention any Yukhei? Ha. Ha. Y-you must have been hearing things- yeah, you heard it wrong Injunnie. Ha. Ha.” Smooth.

Renjun crossed his arms at that though, as if he’d believe a terrible liar like Mark. Raising his eyebrows, he looked at them critically, “I may be oblivious to most things, but I am not deaf. Speak up people.”

Everybody panicked and started rambling randomly in order to either explain the situation to Renjun or totally doing a bad job at covering it up (“Hyung! The weather outside is good! Let’s go to the waterpark!” – Jisung; “It wasn’t my fault ge! They threatened me!” – Chen Le; “Chen Le you backstabbing little !” – Donghyuck; “I think the waterpark idea is good Ji! Let’s go~!” – Mark). Jaemin, seeing the mess the other four are currently in (Jeno silently snuck out to call the others who are already at the park), rolled his eyes before silently pulling Renjun out of the crossfire.

After situating themselves in the dining room, Jaemin took Renjun’s hand into his and smiled to his best friend who was once his crush. “Tell me what’s happening Jaem, because I’m honestly lost right here. Like, what does Yukhei got to do with anything?” Renjun complained exasperatedly to his best friend. He honestly still harbors feelings for Yukhei, but he doesn’t really want to sabotage his friendship with Jaemin because of the former considering the latter’s nasty experiences due to his ex-boyfriend.

And Jaemin is perfectly aware of this. For the last two weeks, he had been helping Yukhei to conjure this perfect little event in order to reunite with his past love. With the help of his boyfriend (Jaemin’s still being a giddy little thinking that Jeno’s now finally his boyfriend, he had the audacity to shiver at the mere thought of it) and the hyungs, he managed to loop in the kids in order to keep Renjun in the dark until they get there. Well, that was originally the plan. He did not manage to take into account his habitual tardiness and Jeno.

He wants his best friend’s happiness as much as he wants his, heck, he could live and die lonely as long as all of his friends are basking in happiness and affections. Since Renjun won’t really initiate to try a second chance in happiness with Yukhei nor he entertains any obvious advances from the latter, Jaemin decided that they catch him off-guard and give him no choice. Yep, totally genius.

Jaemin hugged Renjun, “Jun, I want your happiness too. I don’t want you to sacrifice just because Yukhei – the bastard may he rest in peace- ow! I was joking! – and I had a beef when we were like? I don’t know- Freshmen? It was actually stupid if you ask me. So, Jun, for everybody’s welfare – Donghyuck is going crazy at this whole charade – just please follow your heart and jump into Yukhei’s arms.” At that point, Renjun was already silently sobbing, clutching Jaemin’s shirt while muttering ‘thanks’ and ‘I have the best best friend ever.’

Jaemin smiles as he locks gazes with Jeno who was actually standing along the doorway after his call with the hyungs, informing them that they might run a little late (“Jeno-yah, can you at least make them hurry? Yukhei’s having a breakdown right now- Yah! Wong Yukhei! Get down from that goddamn tree! Jungwoo! Pull that idiot down here! – Please Jeno, I think I’m gonna get sick.” - Taeyong). He was proud of his boyfriend and his friend, because although he can finally call Jaemin his, Yukhei’s futile pining and Renjun’s useless attempts at feigning indifference is getting tiring. At least it can finally end.

“I hate to interrupt, but we have to hurry. Yukhei hyung’s going crazy and the hyungs’ are going crazy because of it. Last time I heard, he was tying his collar on a branch that’s as high as Jungwoo hyung.” Jeno finally knocked and broke the intimate moment the two had. They finally had to get going.

 

 

 

With cicadas buzzing against the chilly night, Jeno and Jaemin snuggled closer to each other as they continue to gaze upon the night sky in Jeno’s shared house backyard on a large hammock (“You two are still minors, you need adult supervision. And no, Mark is not included.” - Doyoung). Currently playing thumb wrestling, Jaemin giggles when he finally won over Jeno after minutes of failed attempts.

It’s actually their first time to bask in each other’s presence without annoying hyungs (mostly Hansol) and dongsaengs (mostly Donghyuck and Chen Le) lurking around. No, bedroom cuddles do not count. Everybody in Jeno’s shared house was out, aside from Doyoung who doesn’t really have the heart to them, leaving the two in their own little bubble of serenity.

They both feel contented, this must be the euphoric feeling when one achieves the prize after working hard for it for so long, this must be the start of the extreme happiness life has in store. They’re aware that they have to face various obstacles sooner or later, with Jaemin’s insecurities and Jeno’s inability to voice his feelings, their flaws are bound to catch up to them. They’re worried but not anxious, because although Jaemin still feels as if his thoughts are eating him, he’s got Jeno’s warm hands which always squeezes his thighs in both query and an attempt to soothe him, and although Jeno still lacks the verbal ability to express his thoughts and feelings which are essential for communication to happen, Jaemin is finally there to take his time and understand his nonverbal messages, because that’s what Jaemin is apt at.

Jeno stopped their game and took his boyfriend’s hand before pressing it close to his heart, pressing a gentle kiss on the other’s forehead. Jaemin sighed as he closed his eyes muttering under his breath, “This feels so nice, Jeno-yah.” Jeno hummed before pulling his boyfriend closer to him, placing a gentle kiss on the crown of Jaemin’s head, “How did it even took so long before we found ourselves in each other’s arms?” Jaemin looked up to Jeno at the latter’s words before looking down, deep in thought.

It really is both amusing and melancholic to look back. If one were to ask both the Jeno and Jaemin from last year whether it is possible for them to achieve each other or not, the both would look down in imminent grief before sporting matching façades and answer a pathetic “no.” The two of them know that they have been cowards, they have been eaten by their fear of the unknown that it paralyzed them from taking a step towards each other.

The aforementioned thought crossed Jaemin’s mind that fear suddenly crept inside him, the fear of losing Jeno after all of his hardship simultaneously clenched his chest, constricting his breath, making him teary. “Jeno… What if this is fleeting? What- what if I lose you after all of these?” Jaemin looked up at Jeno, his eyes already b with tears just because his insecurities started kicking in.

Jeno tightened his hold on the younger male, understanding the impact of his rhetorical question. He knows that even the tiniest of things can trigger Jaemin’s anxiety, he’s aware of how extremely sensitive the younger actually is despite seeming like a tyrant, he’s aware of all of these little flaws which makes up Jaemin and he understands. He understands all of it and accepts it. “Do you actually think that I’ll let you go after all of the that I have gone through? Sorry mister, that isn’t happening any time soon, nor will it ever happen.” He smiled down and placed a chaste kiss on Jaemin’s lips, a seal of his promise.

Both are flawed to their bones. They weren’t made for each other nor were they destined together, but they compromised, they desperately wish to complement each other and they’re willing to go to extreme lengths just to achieve it. Jeno never thought that he could grasp the severity of Jaemin’s demons, but recently, he can handle Jaemin’s emotional outbreaks without having to call Hansol nor Taeyong in exasperation. Jaemin never thought that he could be reassured especially with Jeno’s horrible ability to vocalize, but now, he’s starting to believe that the latter loves him.

Both are extremities, both are destructive, but they’re making it work.


Last Author's Note:

So my dear friends, that is the closure of What A Long Ride. First, I would like to apologize if this chapter (this whole fic, rather), is subpar and did not meet your expectations. I would also like to apologize for the late posting of this, I never expected college would be this tough (I'm not complaining though, I'm in my dream major). 

I know that Chapters 4 to recent (or was it 5? I can't remember, it's the one where Jaemin starved himself) posed questions and possibilities which said questions and possibilities ultimately opened various plot holes, and I'm sorry for that. Hopefully, this little chapter answered some of the questions although I can't promise you that it won't pose more in exchange. 

I would like to thank each and every one of you who stuck with me until the end, even those who couldn't make it until the last chapter, I thank you all for giving this little a chance.

So fellas, this has been What A Long Ride. It truly was a long ride.