My Brother

I am a Christian

Siwon P.O.V

"For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places.

- Ephesians 6:12-

"Siwon, I have something to tell you." Kyuhyun said on the side of the line.

"What is it?"

"Yeah. Do you remember Brad Hemilton?'

"uh-ah? What's about him?"

"I saw Mike hanging out with him together with his minions."

"I don't find anything wrong with it. I mean it's not my businessarrow-10x10.png whoever he wanted to hang on, right?"

"Dude! We are talking about Brad Hemilton. I swear, believe me, if I were you I'll advise my brother not to associate with him."

"What do you mean?'

"You have no idea how rumors could be true, so before it's too late do something"

"I don't get it."

"Man, Brad is a bad influence for Mike. There's no good thing hanging out with that guy."

"Okay! I'll ask him about it." I was quite hesitant because Mike and I was never been close like before after mom's death. He seldom talked and shut himself on his room whenever he's at home.

"Good" Kyuhyunsaid in relief.

"Kyuhyun, we have a bible study, remember?" I mentioned changing the topic.

"I know we have bible study, I'll get you before 7." I laughed

"Thanks. See you."

"Thanks man! I'll call you later", he said ending the phone call.

Kyuhyun is my best friend, his father is the senior pastor of the church. We grew up together since kid, I treated him like my brother. Whenever he go somewhere he will drag me along knowing that his dad won't be questioning his whereabouts if they knew I'm with him. Am I his scapegoat? But I trust him and Pastor James is my dad's bestfriend.

"I hope his wrong", I mumbled under my breath.

I went downstairs and see my dad reading newspapers in the living room. I've never seen a man as strong as my dad for coping up after mother's death. One year ago, my mom's died diagnosed with cancer, the doctor told us that she had only three months to live. We kept on praying and fasting for her. She was battling on her death bed. Eventually mom killed herself. Yes, she committed suicide, morphine overdose. It was family secret. People think that we have a perfect family but inside the circle? It's a mess.  

Whenever dad sees me still depressed about it, he will pat my head and tell me everything will be fine. Honestly, I couldn't bring myself to asked dad why did mom kill herself. Was it because she's tired? Or was it because she lose her faith to believe? Did she actually kill herself? Still skeptical.

"Siwon? Do you need anything?" dad asked snapping me out of my dazed. I nodded. I'm still reluctant whether to inform dad about what Kyuhyun told me.

"What is it?"

"uhmm—" I stuttered. "Dad—"I swallowed a lump in my throat. What if Kyuhyun  was wrong?"

"Kyuhyun will fetch me. We'll be having a bible study."

"Okay", a faint smile appear on his face. "Will you extend my regards to James?"

"Sure dad", I responded.

"By the way, how's Mikaela. I haven't seen her for a while?"

"She's good, dad."

"Are you still going out with her?" he asked while folding the newspaper. I nodded.

"I see. Don't get me wrong about this. I don't have anything against Mikaela. But as your father, take my advise you better find a woman in Proverbs 31"

"Dad, I'm already trying to share things about Jesus."

"So how did it go? Did she listen to you?"

"I'm praying for it dad." I admitted.

Silence takes over between us. No one says anything. Dad started to flip the newspaper again while sipping his brewed coffee. I went back to my room to prepare before Kyuhyun will come and fetch me. Mikaela isn't a believer of Christ. She's a pretty popular girl in school. She is every man's dream girl. We have been dating for a month already. I'm trying to invite her in gatherings, I was happy because she once agreed to go with me but after that she finds excuses whenever I invite her again.

There are times that I was sharing her about Jesus but she's changing the subjects for something else. Of course, it was disappointing. It was hard but I love her. I'm not giving up until she started to open her heart to Jesus. Dad doesn't say anything bad or good about Mikaela yet he always say the same thing to me. Read and find a woman in Proverbs 31.

10 A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.
11 Her husband has full confidence in her
and lacks nothing of value.
12 She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life.
13 She selects wool and flax
and works with eager hands.
14 She is like the merchant ships,
bringing her food from afar.
15 She gets up while it is still night;
she provides food for her family
and portions for her female servants.
16 She considers a field and buys it;
out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
17 She sets about her work vigorously;
her arms are strong for her tasks.
18 She sees that her tradingarrow-10x10.png is profitable,
and her lamp does not go out at night.
19 In her hand she holds the distaff
and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
20 She opens her arms to the poor
and extends her hands to the needy.
21 When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
22 She makes coverings for her bed;
she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
23 Her husband is respected at the city gate,
where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
24 She makes linen garments and sells them,
and supplies the merchants with sashes.
25 She is clothed with strength and dignity;
she can laugh at the days to come.
26 She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
27 She watches over the affairs of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
28 Her children arise and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
29 "Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all."
30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
31 Honor her for all that her hands have done,
and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.

The clock's hand stops at six. I already went to the bathroom, took a shower and change my clothes. I grabbed the chinos jean paired with a navy short- sleeved dress shirt and a dessert boots. I went down stairs to drink some water in the kitchen when I saw Mike opening the main door.

'Mike, where are you going?"

"Birthday party." He responded without looking back at me.

"Whose birthday party?"

"Brad Hemilton", he opened the door widely and exited to the house. My eyes lit up as the name Brad Hemilton slipped out of .

Mike is my older brother, he change a lot after mom's death. He keeps his distance between himself and dad. Due to our father's work, he wasn't there during the entire time that mom was fighting for her life. He blames dad and God for not being there for her.

After a while, the doorbell rang, it's Kyuhyun. I hurriedly pick the bible on the table, stuffed it in my back pack and dashed downstairs to open the door.

"Bye Dad! I said loudly before setting off. We jumped into Kyuhyun's car and drove to the church. It's located few blocks away from the house, it's my second home. Kyuhyun parked the car under the pine tree, hopped out of the car and went towards some members.

'Ruth!' I called off to Ruth who is talking to Emery in the corner. I motioned Kyuhyun to walks ahead of me.

"Siwon", she turned her gaze in me and mouthed Emery 'later' leaving us alone.

"Hey, Can I ask you something?"

"Sure."

"I heard its Brad's birthday party tonight 'Birthday party? Brad? Brad Hemilton?"

"Yes, the big guy with tattoos in your department" a small frown crease her forehead.

"But— she paused for seconds, Brad Hemilton celebrated his birthday last month. Are you sure it's him?" I nodded in confusion, unable to think clearly.

"Siwon! Ruth! Come on" Kyuhyun called from a distance.

"Coming!" Ruth responded.

Hours passed, we ended the Bible study. We heard testimonies about what happened to each one of us for the week, and sermon in the book of Ephesians, chapter 6. I was distracted about what Ruth mentioned. Too preoccupied until the end, Why would Mike lie to him? Did he inform dad before going out? What if Kyuhyun is right?

We parted ways to the group and went off. I wanted to ask Kyuhyun about Mike but too afraid to know the truth. The happy go lucky brother I have in the past turned to be a different person. I guess this is what they say, the monster inside has been revealed.

"Siwon, would you mind if I drop for a while in a convenience store? Mom wanted me to buy some snacks."

"No problem."

"Thanks." Kyuhyun turned the steering wheel left, heading to the store in the main road. He chose the way passing to a club.

"Kyuhyun, where are you going?"

"Oh, it's a short-cut" he muttered while turning the radio on, scanning various stations.

"Stop!" I cried out of the blue. Kyuhyun immediately pressed the brake pedal, throwing us forward then slamming our back to the seats.

"What's that Siwon?" groaning in pain "Don't do that again" he scolded. Ignoring him, I unbuckled my seatbelt. I slid out of the car and ran near the club. Kyuhyun followed me in puzzlement.

"What's wrong Siwon?"

"Kyuhyun! I saw Mike. I know it was him. I can't be wrong." I turned my back to him and look him straight of his eyes. He chuckled then glancing to where Brad Hemilton is standing together with his friends and my brother.

"I guess you've not wrong".

"I hope I'm wrong." I speak in hushed tones.