Two

Longing for the Impossible

 

Chanyeol was at the club the next day, searching for someone else to satisfy his hunger. It’s not like he had to eat every day, it’s just feeling full was better than being a little hungry and accidently drinking someone in public. He had learned that the hard way.

 

It was only around noon, so everyone at the club was either the people working there, other vampires who knew this club was a place to fill up or drunk humans that were most likely not up to his standards. He was right about the last, none of the scents really caught his interest, so Chanyeol ended up wandering over to Kris who was once again sipping on the glowing drink.

 

“You’re here early,” Kris choked out after taking a long drink.

 

Chanyeol grimaced. “I need a snack.” His eyes searched the few edible people in here, not too excited about choosing which one would have the honor of feeding him.

 

“You could always try this,” He pushed the drink towards Chanyeol with a dry smirk, both already knowing he would take sour blood over the revolting drink. “It keeps me off blood for weeks.” Kris took another drink, Chanyeol could see him struggling to keep an emotionless expression.

 

“Yeah, but look at you now, I feel like the second you get a whiff of blood you won’t be able to control yourself.” He shook his head with a sigh. “I don’t understand why you do that to yourself.”

 

It was Kris’s turn to sigh as he set down the drink on the table between them. “You’d do it too if you were in my place.” Chanyeol doubted that but he just nodded along. He would never understand what it was like to actually care about a human, not just because he wanted to save them for later or because they were good to use for a little fun, but because Chanyeol wouldn’t let himself fall for a human. It only ended badly, Kris was currently proving this. He didn’t know all the facts, but Kris had started caring for a human and eventually fell for him. Chanyeol knew the neon drinks only worked for so long, and so did Kris because Chanyeol had seen him snap before. He knew Kris was terrified of doing that to the one he cared for, but he refused to drink blood, it was suicide -- well close enough.

 

“Well, I’m gonna go grab a snack then head out.”

 

“Don’t make a mess!”

 

Chanyeol only grinned at Kris before sliding out of the booth and prowling his way over to a college student.

 

--

 

A few hours later Chanyeol finally returned to his apartment. The setting sun casts an orange hue throughout the rooms, outlining Baekhyun’s sleeping from in his large bed. Chanyeol was full, he could probably go a few days without eating, so he wasn’t risking Baekhyun’s life when he leaned down to inhale the unnatural sweetness he gave off. He pulled back when the steady breathing coming from the sleeping man hitched.

 

Baekhyun’s eyes fluttered open, lazily taking it Chanyeol hovering above him. The taller grinned down and pecked him on the corner of his mouth, brushing away the stray pastel hairs that were blocking the human’s eyes.  

 

“I apologize for last night,” He whispered, cupping Baekhyun’s cheek before pulling away. “I got somewhat carried away…”

 

There was confusion laced in Baekhyun’s eyes, but it quickly transformed into a mix of fear and horror. His lips tremble as he tried to respond but Chanyeol was quick to reassure him.

 

“Don’t worry love, I won’t kill you.” He patted Baekhyun’s shoulder, the black button up from the day before half on to reveal a large portion of his chest. Chanyeol could see Baekhyun struggling with words, so he simply placed a kiss on his temple, letting his lips rest against the weak pulse before leaving Baekhyun to rest some more. He was probably hungry, so Chanyeol took it upon himself to make a trip to the store and buy an expensive meal, Baekhyun would need a lot to reproduce all the blood he had lost.


 

Chanyeol stood over the stove, the once tantalizing smell of cooked beef filling the air and almost erasing Baekhyun’s sugary scent. He had gone all out and bought fresh Korean beef, Baekhyun would have a feast all for himself and hopefully, gain some color to his pale cheeks so Chanyeol wouldn’t have to feel so guilty when he looked at his snack.

 

Before Chanyeol had turned he had wanted to go to college to study culinary arts, he’d once dreamed of becoming a five-star chef, but vampires didn’t need to eat human food, so his dream quickly disappeared. Sometimes he would regret it, turning into a vampire, but he never dwelled on it too long. He was close to happy now, playing games with humans like Baekhyun and trying to keep Kris from going on a rampage, it was enough.

 

When the beef was done cooking, Chanyeol washed some greens and grabbed a plate, piling all the food up along with a cup of water. He flipped on the lights when he walked into his dark bedroom, a smile gracing his lips when he saw Baekhyun squint.

 

“I hope you’re hungry…” Chanyeol set the food down and helped Baekhyun sit up, he could tell the smaller was still scared, but when he gave Baekhyun the food the fear somewhat disappeared. He sat on the edge of the bed and watched as Baekhyun began to eat, he was so focused on the food it seemed like he had forgotten Chanyeol was there.

 

The room was filled with Baekhyun’s chewing as he happily feasted on the food. Chanyeol knew he had done a good job cooking it because he had made it just like the last time all those years ago. If he tried he could remember what it tasted like, the velvety juices of the meat mixing with the seasoning and leaves to create a wonderful dish.

 

Baekhyun seemed to be enjoying it since he had finished it all in less time than Chanyeol would’ve thought. He stood and took the dirty dishes, pausing at the door when he heard Baekhyun mumble a thanks, then he quickly washed the dishes and set them out to dry. He was back at Baekhyun’s side soon, sliding under the duvet since he didn’t feel like going back to the club.  

 

“Why are you doing this?” Baekhyun asked softly, his back was turned towards Chanyeol, so he didn’t make a move to cuddle up against him. The space between them was hard to ignore, but he guessed Baekhyun deserved space after he’d almost killed him last night.

 

“Doing what?” He responded like he didn’t know.

 

“Keeping me here.” Baekhyun shifted beside him so he was facing Chanyeol. “Why didn’t you kill me...like the others?”

 

Chanyeol had to admit he was slightly surprised that Baekhyun was already so informed. He seemed to already know all about vampires and the secrets of Kris’s club. For a moment he considered telling Baekhyun the truth, that he thought Baekhyun was absolutely delicious and that he wanted to save Baekhyun, sipping him drink by drink until he could no longer drink, but that would scare the smaller so he responded simply.

 

“It was an accident,” he said earnestly. “I really didn’t mean to.”

 

--

 

Chanyeol didn’t leave the house for the next few days, instead, he spent his time cooking for Baekhyun who always seemed hungry. It was a weird throwback to his human days when all he used to do was cook, but it was… nice. Baekhyun was good company, he never really asked about Chanyeol’s whole vampire thing and instead focused on the moment with cheesy jokes and gags that had Chanyeol laughing harder than he had in years.

 

After three days, Baekhyun was healthy again, but he still hadn’t left Chanyeol’s apartment, not that he minded. It was also after three days that Chanyeol’s first hunger pang struck. He hadn’t experienced one since he first changed, and it was just as strong as before. It’s not like Chanyeol didn’t know he was hungry, he was just holding it off for a while, until Baekhyun left is what he told himself.

 

Baekhyun was asleep beside him when it hit, an urge stronger than any other to devour him. His scent seemed strongest now, with the moonlight bouncing off his sleeping form, his head arched to show his pretty neck and the healing scabs from the last time he’d attacked Baekhyun. Chanyeol his lips as his mind provided him with how amazing it would be to drink Baekhyun dry, right here, right now. He imagined how sweet and thick it would be and how Baekhyun’s sweetness would linger on his taste buds for weeks, maybe even forever.

 

With Baekhyun sleeping so deeply Chanyeol thought that maybe, just maybe, he could only take a sip. Baekhyun wouldn’t know because he’s asleep, and it would only be a sip, harmless and it would hold down his hunger. He couldn’t stop himself from leaning it dangerously slow, inhaling the delectable scent as his fangs emerged. That’s right, he would only take a sip, only a sip…

 

A part of him didn’t want to drink Baekhyun’s blood, a part that fought the temptation because being with Baekhyun made him feel more human than he had felt when he was a human, even if that was just curling up on the couch next to the smaller to watch the food network or some overly dramatic reality show.

 

He hovered over Baekhyun neck, unsure of what to do, his fangs were mere millimeters away from piercing the skin, but Chanyeol couldn’t do it. The intoxicating smell Baekhyun emitted was making him dizzy with thirst, he needed blood, but not Baekhyun.

 

Not Baekhyun.

 

Chanyeol scrambled off the bed, not caring if he woke Baekhyun up, he was too blinded by the thirst that had his stomach clawing desperately for a drink. He became a puppet, strings pushing into motion as the puppeteer guided him into the kitchen. Everything was happening too fast, he could only really focus when he found his fangs stabbed into the premium beef he was planning on making for Baekhyun, gulping down the little blood in it. He regained his sense and felt the cool from the refrigerator tickling his skin, his hands crushing the package of meat in an attempt to drain whatever blood was still lingering.

 

The meat landed on the floor as he heard footsteps come from down the hall, Chanyeol quickly tried to clean himself up, but it was useless. He heard Baekhyun come closer to him, but he refused to let the shorter see what he had done. Chanyeol had never been so in and out of control at the same time.

 

“Chanyeol…?” He could hear Baekhyun’s voice shake, he imagined the shorter was probably horrified, similar to the first time he had realized what Chanyeol was capable of.

 

“Go back to bed,” He said roughly, still refusing to let Baekhyun see what he had done. The apartment was silent, both of them seemed to be holding their breath waiting for the other to move. The sound of Baekhyun leaving never came, instead, he heard the shorter shuffle closer accompanied by a soft touch on his shoulder that had Chanyeol shaking -- Baekhyun had never smelt better. He could practically hear Baekhyun’s heart pumping away, hot blood coursing through his veins with every inhale and exhale.

 

“Get off,” Chanyeol whispered. If Baekhyun didn’t leave soon, then he really would lose control. The little blood he’d already consumed was doing nothing, he needed more, and with Baekhyun right here he was afraid he wouldn’t be able to stop himself, no, he knew he wouldn’t be able to stop himself.

 

“B-But-”

 

“Are you stupid?!” He gritted his teeth and swallowed, Baekhyun needed to leave. Now. Chanyeol dug his fingernails into his palm, silently cursing himself for not even thinking about eating these past few days. He would never make that mistake again.

 

“Chanyeol just calm down...I-I can help.” He wasn’t sure what Baekhyun was suggesting, all that mattered was his need for blood in him. When he didn’t respond, Baekhyun crouched in front of him and forced Chanyeol to look him in the eyes.

 

“You just need a little blood, r-right?” Baekhyun closed his eyes and tossed his head to the side, revealing his tantalizing neck. Chanyeol’s eyes immediately zoning in on the pulse beating quickly beneath the thin layer of skin.

 

Baekhyun was offering him his blood.

 

The thing he needed most was being served to him on a silver platter, but why did Chanyeol still feel reluctant to take it? Why did he still want Baekhyun to run away and leave him to suffer through this uncontrollable hunger? The reason Baekhyun was still here was so he could satisfy his hunger, but how come he still hadn’t taken a drop of Baekhyun’s blood since the first night? Why was he letting Baekhyun have this much control over him?

 

Chanyeol didn’t know. He knew he needed to drink, but could he really risk using Baekhyun like that? Again?


Baekhyun’s neck was still arched to the side, his eyes still closed with his bottom lip drawn between his teeth, biting hard enough to draw blood. Chanyeol managed a small smile as he raised a hand and cupped Baekhyun’s cheek, with the little self-control he still had, Chanyeol kissed Baekhyun’s lips, the drop of blood that escaped a cut on the other’s lip. That single drop had him craving more, but with his lips pressed against the human’s, Chanyeol felt that maybe he knew why Kris gave up blood.


ima try to update every sunday 

i hope yall are liking it so far, even tho this is chapter three lmao

<3