Six

Longing for the Impossible

 

Baekhyun’s jaw clenches with his eyes downcast, looking uncomfortable and unpredictable. Chanyeol wants to compare the human to an animal backed into a corner, but Baekhyun doesn’t look that desperate. He almost looks angry but there was an underlying sadness there that has Chanyeol feeling the need to push Kris away. He quickly glances between the vampire and human, trying to anticipate what’s going to happen.

 

“Baekhyun…..it was an accident,” Kris breathes and bows his head making Chanyeol only more confused. “.....it was an accident.” He says again but it comes out so quiet that it’s a miracle anyone heard it at all. Chanyeol’s eyes flicker back and forth, not missing Baekhyun’s grimace or Kris’s shaking hands that curl into fists. It seems like hours pass before anyone moves, Chanyeol feels too out of place to intervene so he patiently waits for Baekhyun to move.

 

The human lets out a shaky breath and nods. “I know,” He whispers just as quietly as Kris. “It’s unavoidable.” Chanyeol watches Baekhyun’s fingers twitch before he looks up and sees the human’s cheeks are wet.

 

There’s a silent agreement that Chanyeol misses when Baekhyun looks up, eyes meeting Kris’s. He misses a lot of unspoken words that pass between the other vampire and human when he glances at the bar, catching a glimpse of a bartender with a vibrant green drink in a champagne flute. He resists the urge to wave him down since the situation is a little to tense for him to interrupt for a drink. When he turns back Kris is nodding slowly as Baekhyun keeps his eyes trained on his lap. He takes Kris walking back into the crowd a sign that whatever was spoken between the two is all cleared up and turns to Baekhyun expectantly.

 

“What was that all about?”

 

Baekhyun shakes his head before speaking. “Don’t worry about it. “

 

Chanyeol opens his mouth to dig for more, but something in Baekhyun’s voice makes him stop, a certain melancholic note that hides a side of the human that he never knew existed. He shuts his mouth and nods before deciding to go grab that drink now.

 

When he returns with the sour flavor still lingering on his taste buds, Baekhyun’s eyes are searching the crowd.

 

“Can we just eat back home?” The human asks quietly, not looking at Chanyeol who just nods before standing and grabbing Baekhyun’s hand. The walk back to Chanyeol’s apartment is quiet, the air awkward. The vampire feels like he should try to get Baekhyun to talk, but every time he had suggested a restaurant or something to talk about the human had simply waved it off. He respects that whatever has happened has touched Baekhyun, but it scares him seeing the human like this after only seeing a bubbly side of him. He doesn’t know what to do.

 

When they get back, Baekhyun sits on the couch and rests his elbows on his knees. Chanyeol sighs softly, unsure of what to do, but he figures some food could help. He wanders to the kitchen and prepares some rice before getting the other ingredients. Thirty minutes later he has a bowl of kimchi fried rice steaming in his hands.

 

“Here Baek.”

 

Baekhyun raises his head slowly, dark circles dominating his under eyes and hair frizzy and all over the place. The human numbly takes the bowl and nods a thanks at Chanyeol. He takes a seat next to the human and wrings his hands together nervously.

 

“I don’t mean to pry but…..how do you know Kris?”

 

There’s a long beat of silence where no one speaks, and it seems like no one will until he hears the sound of Baekhyun swallowing.

 

“It’s…..a long story…” Baekhyun whispers and Chanyeol freezes as he thinks he hears tears in the human’s voice. Baekhyun’s hands shake, the fork hitting the ceramic and dinging lightly throughout the apartment. He doesn’t say anything since he knows that Baekhyun's discreetly trying to tell him that he won’t explain more, but he wants to know more. In all his years he had never seen Baekhyun around Kris before, heck he would’ve smelled him on Kris before but never has he ever. It’s all a big mystery that Baekhyun is dangling in front of his face just begging for him to solve, but every time he reaches out the human snatches it back and shuts down.

 

He lets out a long breath instead and gently places his hand over Baekhyun’s and stops the rattling.

 

“Eat.”

 

He simply says instead.Time freezes as he absorbs the warmth the human emits before Baekhyun nods and takes a bite of the rice. He doesn’t miss the tears that slip down his face.

 

--

 

A day later and it’s like nothing has changed. They’re back on their routine again of Chanyeol disappearing early mornings to get a drink then coming back to cook for Baekhyun or sometimes bringing food with him. They rarely leave the apartment, but they do experiment with take out, though it doesn’t work so well since Chanyeol can’t exactly eat it.

 

The only thing that really changes is that they’re much closer now. Baekhyun was always searching for a way to stay connected with Chanyeol by, often pressing their lips together almost as a reminder that he won’t leave. He welcomes this new behavior with open arms and always returns the kisses and touches, he loves this new side of Baekhyun.

 

Almost a week after the incident at the bar, Chanyeol gets a terrible set of stomach cramps as he cuddles Baekhyun on the couch. They had been watching a variety show after Baekhyun had finished a dinner for two all by himself when he had first felt it.

 

His nose is buried into Baekhyun’s neck, barely brushing his skin with pink fluffs of hair tickling him. He inhales deeply and feels like he’ll never get sick of Baekhyun’s scent, even though the blood substitute somewhat dulled his senses it could never get the human’s delicious smell out of his system. There’s a breathless moment where he feels his stomach roll, somersaulting inside of him before the sweet aroma floods him, and before he knows it his fangs are out. He doesn’t know what’s happening, but he feels the urge deep inside of him just begging to take a bite out of the meal sitting right next to him. Chanyeol tries to take a breath and distract himself, but with his nose rubbing up against Baekhyun’s neck it only makes it worse. The human lets out a bold laugh as something happens on the tv, but Chanyeol can’t focus, his head feels underwater and the only thing he can focus on is the blood pumping through Baekhyun’s veins. He stares down at the pale neck and bets that if he stared long enough he could make out the blue veins that pulse underneath his skin, and what a pretty site it would be. He would bite in and drink every last drop and carefully watch as the blue turned to a deep red as his fangs punctured the skin. Baekhyun would fade to nothing as all he would see would be red and that sweet sweet taste.

 

Chanyeol feels dizzy and sick, but the gnawing hunger inside him has him blinking twice as much in an attempt to clear it, but nothing is that easy.

 

Baekhyun shifts in his arms and stretches his head around, planting a quick kiss on Chanyeol’s parted lips. The human grins at the surprised look Chanyeol wears and kisses him again, sliding their lips together slowly and passionately. Well, it would be passionate if Chanyeol could do something. Baekhyun pulls away with a frown when all the vampire can do is tighten his hold around the human. He’s frozen to his spot, eyes wide as he looks at Baekhyun and realizes what’s about to happen. It takes a moment, but as he feels the hunger grab the reigns Baekhyun seems to grasp what’s going on.

 

Something clicks and Baekhyun scrambles off, or maybe Chanyeol pushes him off, he doesn’t know. He barely processes running to the bathroom and slamming the door closed behind him, chest heaving against as he presses his back against the door so no one can get in or out. He feels his fangs pierce his lip as he slides down into a ball on the floor trying not to let the hunger consume him. It feels like his stomach is being ripped apart without blood and it hurts so much. He presses his hands into his stomach in an attempt to stop it but it just gets worse. His head hits the floor with a deep groan that doesn’t hurt nearly as bad as his insides.

 

He lays on the floor for what feels like hours before he feels like he isn’t underwater and the cramps lessen. He hears Baekhyun banging on the door shouting at him, but he’s still in too much pain to really react.

 

“I just have to wait it out.” He grimaces and holds his breathe, at least his fangs have disappeared.

 

“Chanyeol! Let me in!! Please!! Chanyeol!”

 

Baekhyun’s cries meet his ears and he knows he should respond but everything hurts. Everything hurts so much.


just a short lil update,, im sorry if this story is going to but im not gonna stop writing it bcos ive made it this far...

theres only a bit left yall, then were done!