Four

Longing for the Impossible

 

Sometime after his realization, probably closer to midnight, Chanyeol hears a soft knock that wakes him out of his half-asleep state. His body jolts up as he takes long strides to the door, he quickly undoes the lock and throws the door open. His mind is blank as the dim hall light streams in, temporarily blinding him, but not before he sees the fluffy tufts of pink hair. He blinks slowly, not quite believing that he's seeing Baekhyun at his door wearing a too large shirt over a pair of sweatpants that brush the floor as he shifts.

 

“Baekhyun?” He whispers, lips trembling around the two syllables. Said man gives him a cheeky smile and shuffles forward.

 

“Sorry I took so long,” He pauses before embracing Chanyeol like they’re best friends who haven't seen each other for years. “I had to grab a few things.” Baekhyun pecks Chanyeol on the cheek then steps back, adding: “Since I’ll be staying for a while.” Before looking down at his feet with blooming red cheeks.

 

It takes a moment for Chanyeol to reach out, grabbing onto Baekhyun’s too long sleeve and pulling him through the door with a strength that has the smaller stumbling into his arms. The front door is forgotten as Chanyeol grips Baekhyun’s forearms and connects their lips in a way that words can’t communicate. He feels Baekhyun sigh into him as he slides his lips against the smaller’s and with little coordination, maneuvers them to the couch where Baekhyun breaks to fling his bag to the ground before slamming their lips back together, hot and passionate, just enough for Chanyeol to go over the edge and push Baekhyun back onto the couch, crawling on top of him and pausing.

 

He studies Baekhyun in the pale moonlight before leaning in and resting his lips against Baekhyun’s forehead for a long moment then he buries his face in the human’s neck. He suddenly remembers the drink he had earlier and thinks it’s actually working since there wasn’t any cell in him the was urging him to taste Baekhyun. Chanyeol makes a note to himself to thank Kris later as he presses his lips into Baekhyun’s neck, barely noticing his sweet aurora as he shifts so they're both lying on their sides and facing each other on the small couch.

 

“You know,” he says, whispering simply because he can, “I didn’t think you would come back.” He watches as Baekhyun’s eyes flutter close, making him look so beautiful with his tousled hair and slightly swollen lips and the darkness lit by the moonlight. He never wanted to forget it.

 

“I…” Baekhyun starts, bringing Chanyeol back to the reality and beauty that is Baekhyun. “I considered it...but I,” He pauses then and opens his half lidded eyes to meet Chanyeol’s. “Something made me come back.”

 

His breath catches as Baekhyun continues to look at him with eyes barely visible beneath his lids. Chanyeol watched until Baekhyun fell asleep, and even then he remained until the sun’s rays peeked its way into the living room, only then did he carefully carry Baekhyun into his room, closing the front door as he passed.

 

He falls asleep next to Baekhyun, thoughts still stuck on the fact that Baekhyun came back, on his own as he bathes himself in the warm comfort of having the human back.

 

--

 

Chanyeol leaves before the sun rises, carefully untangling Baekhyun’s limbs from his before jogging over to the club. He didn’t want Baekhyun to wake up without him there, so he had to be quick.

 

The club was close to empty, except for a few bartenders and a couple drunk customers. None of them were Kris, though, which was pretty odd since Kris was always around. Chanyeol couldn’t remember a day where Kris hadn’t been at the club when he was, but then again Chanyeol didn’t usually come this early.

 

He ends up at the bar, waving over Jonghyun, a friendly bartender that had been working at the club for as long as he could remember. Jonghyun sashays over, looking a little tipsy as he leans against the counter.

 

“Have you seen Kris?” He asks as he takes a seat at one of the stools, closely watching to make sure Jonghyun didn’t suddenly slip because of how drunk he is.

 

Jonghyun hums as he dips down and pulls out a champagne flute and fills it with the glowing blood substitute. Chanyeol takes it out of Jonghyun’s hand and chugs it in one go, grimacing as it settles in his stomach. Jonghyun sends him a confused look but he shrugs and mumbles something about “bling bling” before stumbling away.

 

Chanyeol shakes his head and heads to the door, wondering where Kris is but too preoccupied with getting home to Baekhyun to worry about it.

--

 

The pan below sizzles as Chanyeol bumps his hips against the smaller’s, sending him a grin before flicking his chopsticks across the pan with ease. Baekhyun hums under his breath as he throws a pinch of salt in then spins to Chanyeol’s other side where he swings his hips while continuing to chop up the vegetables. Out of the corner of his eye, Chanyeol watches to make sure the veggies are the right size and that Baekhyun’s doing it properly as he cooks the pork belly.

 

The quiet murmuring from the tv in the background is forgotten as Baekhyun’s humming turns to singing. The jazzy tune has Chanyeol humming an octave lower, loving the sound of their two voices mixing together. He closes his eyes as he lets his body float on the melody, his body swerves from side to side as he tilts his head back and belches out an off note that has them both cackling.

 

Chanyeol almost gets lost in the melody again, when Baekhyun finally starts humming again, but his eyes snap open when he hears a little gasp leave the human.

 

“Baekhyun!” He gasps when he sees the shorter clutching a finger, the chopping knife left forgotten on the counter. Chanyeols mind immediately jumps to worst case scenario. His heartbeat pounding in his ears as he grabs Baekhyun’s shoulder and gently turns the human to face him.

 

“Ah…” Baekhyun mutters as a smile spreads across his face, followed by his fingers peeking out behind his hand to show a heart. Chanyeol only blinks as he realizes the joke before jokingly shoving the shorter away with a forced laugh.

 

“You had me worried there for a sec,” He says softly as he returns his attention back to the sizzling meat. It’s silent for a moment, the only sounds being the tv, cooking meat, and their soft breathing, but then Chanyeol hears Baekhyun’s feet slide across the tiled floor. Ever so slowly, Baekhyun wraps his thin arms around Chanyeol, careful to avoid the hot pan. He holds his breath as Baekhyun’s head comes to rest on his back, the warmth from the smaller radiating off and enveloping him.

 

“I’m sorry,” Baekhyun says, voice muffled by the shirt and almost drowned out entirely, but Chanyeol still manages to hear it. He’s not sure what Baekhyun’s sorry for, but that doesn’t stop him from dropping the chopsticks and turning around so he’s hugging the human. He leans down so his chin is resting on the pastel hair, and only then does he feel Baekhyun’s shoulders shaking and hear his uneven breaths.

 

Was he...crying?

 

“Baekhyun?” Chanyeol tries to move back, but Baekhyun fists his shirt and makes it impossible for him to see the human's face. “What’s wrong?” He asks but Baekhyun only lets out a heartbreaking sob and shakes his head. His shirt is wet with Baekhyun tears and his eyes are filled with worry as he slowly pats the humans back as he continues to sob, each one growing painfully louder. Something was seriously wrong. All he could do to comfort Baekhyun is rub his back, and even that seems to make him cry harder, but Chanyeol decides it’s probably best for him to just get it all out instead of letting it build up inside him.

 

When Baekhyun finally seems to calm down a bit, Chanyeol loosens his hold and finally pulls back to see the human’s tear stained face. Baekhyun sniffles before wiping his eyes.

 

“I’m sorry about your shirt,” Baekhyun’s voice is hoarse from crying, and his weak attempt at lightening the mood has Chanyeol smiling.

 

“It’s fine, but are you okay?” Chanyeol can’t help but feel worried because why would Baekhyun break down like that?

 

Baekhyun pulls away from Chanyeol, eyes downcast and pastel hair shading his eyes. “I’m fine,” he croaks, “I’m just gonna...take a nap.”

 

Chanyeol knew Baekhyun was lying, but he didn’t stop him from walking back to the bedroom and closing the door behind him, leaving Chanyeol to wonder just what was happening.

 

Lunch was forgotten.


im really starting to lose inspiration for this story :/// i wanna continue but its hard finding the time to write 

i might take a lil break, so dont excepect an update next sunday

also happy easter and happy birthday to sehun 

ill try to have the next chapter up in the next couple weeks, but until then

<3

Related image