Six

Colors of Love

 

The next day, Mimi hopes on seeing YooA were crushed. She couldn't get through to YooA since morning when she sent a few text messages to her but there was no response. Mimi didn't see YooA during the morning ceremony as well, and also during their lunch break. Mimi even tried to call YooA a couple of times but it kept directed her straight to her voicemail.

Mimi didn't want to look desperate but she couldn't help the bad feeling she had.

Seunghee who was eating her lunch next to Mimi nudged her best friend. "What are you thinking? You've been very fidgety since this morning." Mimi just shook her head and kept checking her cell phone, her food untouched.

"Is this about YooA?" Before Mimi could answer, a familiar voice came out behind them.

"What about YooA?" Both Seunghee and Mimi turned their head around. There stood Hyojung looking down at them with her lunch tray on her hands.

"Ugh, I swear you are everywhere." Seunghee rolled her eyes. "I'm started to feel that you're actually interested in me."

"Quit dreaming, this morning was just a coincidence." Hyojung scowled at Seunghee.

Apparently, the both of them bumped into each other that morning in the bus ride to school. Seunghee had always taken the bus to school every morning since the start of high school but she had never seen Hyojung taking the same bus until that morning. And let's just say it wasn’t a great start of the day for the both of them.

"I just heard my best friend's name are you guys badmouthing her or something," Hyojung said. Seunghee just scoffed while Mimi assured Hyojung that they weren't.

Mimi then asked, "Err, you're in the same class as her right?" Hyojung just nodded.

"But she didn't come to school today, it's weird." Hyojung shrugged and was about to walk off when Mimi stopped her. 

"What's weird?"

"Oh, I don’t know but as long as I know her she never skipped school but for the past weeks she had skipped quite a few times already," Hyojung said, she sounded worried for a moment. "Tsk, why am I telling you this." Annoyed, Hyojung just walked off a few tables away to join her classmates for lunch.

"Oh gosh, just look how bimbo she sounded like." Mimi gave a disapproval look at Seunghee, "What?"

"I thought you said she fancied you?" Mimi asked, sarcastically. 

"Yeah," Seunghee then turned towards where Hyojung was sitting and slightly leaned against Mimi. "Watch this." Mimi looked to where Seunghee pointed but had no idea what was she supposed to expect. Just seconds later, Hyojung turned towards their direction and when she realized they were staring at her she just made a face, sticking her tongue out and turned back.

"See, I don't have to do anything and she's triggered." Seunghee sighed and smugly shrugged. "She definitely into me."

Mimi laughed once at how Seunghee being full of herself but didn't say anything and just let her be. Her mind was then occupied by what Hyojung had said. What makes YooA skipped school more these days? Is she sick? Mimi thought. She glanced at her phone again, didn't know what was she hoping for but she definitely going to find out.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Later that day, Arin was called out by Hyojung through a text message to meet her at the drama club meeting room after school. She went to the room without a clue that the person who was waiting for her there was not Hyojung.

When she finally reached the meeting room, the door was ajar. She peeked in and was surprised to see Binnie instead. Somehow her heart started to race. She looked around for anybody else in the room but Binnie was sitting alone, her left side facing Arin. She was arranging some papers that cluttered around her desk. With the flower curtains were drawn wide letting in the afternoon sunlight, it made the small room looked really bright. 

Arin tightened her ponytail and fixed her uniform before nervously entered the room. When she pushed the door, it creaked which catch Binnie's attention.

"Oh, you're here I was expecting you," Binnie said as turned around from her seat and pushed up her round glasses.  "Hyojung couldn't be here herself so she told me to do it for her." Binnie aura felt different today, Arin thought. Maybe it was the first time Arin had seen Binnie with those round glasses on.

"Did I do something wrong?" Arin asked as she came closer to Binnie.

"Oh no, no... don't worry it's good news." Binnie smiled with assurance. She then reached out for the pile of papers that was bound together on the side of her table and held it out for Arin to take. "Congratulation, you are chosen for one of the leads in our upcoming play."

Arin wasn't expecting that at all. "I.. Why.. I mean thank you." She stuttered, as she took the papers which Arin assumed was her scripts.

"Hyojung wanted to announce with the rest of the members around but as you know tomorrow's practice was canceled so she told me to give you the scripts in advance so we could start the practice for the play straight away so you have a week to memorize at least a few pages," Binnie explained as she gave a slight tap on the script.

Arin still couldn’t comprehend the news, she just gawked at her script she was holding. Her name was on the cover page, together with the character name and the title of the play printed on the white sheet. It was real. 

She heard a chuckle and looked up. "I-I'm sorry, I am still not believing this," Arin said.

Binnie waved her hand a little, "It's fine, that was how I was like when I first held my script for my first big play."

Arin laughed a bit but slowly as her thoughts were sinking in, she suddenly felt anxious, what if she couldn't do it. She remembered what Binnie had said during her audition and she couldn't help but felt that she didn’t deserve the role.

"What if this role is not for me?" Arin asked. "Like I can't do it." 

"Give up already?" Binnie raised an eyebrow and then sighed. "Hmm, that's fast, maybe we've chosen the wrong one." She said, sounded disappointed. Arin was taken aback, she quickly lowered her gaze and tightened her grip around her script. She felt bad and scared that she had upset Binnie once again. 

"Hey," Binnie said in a soft tone as she stood up from her seat and placed her hand on Arin's shoulder. "Look, even though we seniors look like we joke around a lot and can be quite lenient sometimes but we picked our characters very seriously. So if we said we've chosen you, it means we see your potential."

"But you said the other day during the audition … " Arin muttered, "that my emotions were lacking."

"Err, 'bout that day … I-" There's a slight guilt in Binnie's voice.

"You weren't wrong, I felt that I didn't do well too." Arin interrupted, "I was really bad."

"Well maybe, but you weren't so bad -"

"You can be my personal coach!" Arin suddenly exclaimed. She bit her lower lip when she realized she sounded a little too excited. She had no idea where she got the idea from but it was definitely what she wanted. Arin looked at Binnie and hoped she would also agree to it.

Binnie looked a little lost at first, "Personal coach? Me?" Arin nodded, "You sure? I mean there are other seniors who would be a better teacher than me." Binnie pointed out.

Arin sighed, "But the other seniors are not like you." Arin said and Binnie blushed a little. "You're more honest, harsh and strict."

Binnie then tilted her head, she wasn't sure if Arin was complimenting or insulting her but she didn’t say anything. "That way I would be more motivated if you coach me, please." Arin gave her best puppy eyes and pouted her lips. "Pretty please … "

"Well, I guess I can help you a little," Binnie said, still unsure.

"Really? Yes!" Arin jumped in joy while Binnie smile slowly crept across her face as she shook her head.

"I don’t know if the rest would agree to this though," Binnie said, and Arin face fell. "But they don't need to know, right?" In a split second, Arin's face lit up again and she quickly nodded her head. Binnie actually felt bad with what she said, so she thought at least she could help her to make up for it. 

Binnie chuckled as she turned away and got back to her seat, “You know sometimes, you remind me of something.”

"Hmm, of what?" Arin asked.

“A baby chick,” Binnie stated without looking up.

“A baby chick?” Arin asked again, tilting her head with a slight frown.

Binnie did a double take at Arin who seemed to be offended by her random remark, “Yeah, those small yellow fluffy thing."

"Exactly, they are small.” When Binnie didn't recant, she leaned forward, "But I’m taller than you.” Arin suddenly teased.

That hit Binnie, the fact that the younger one was much taller than her. Clearing Binnie then said, “So? You don’t have to be short, to be cute.”

“Ah… so you’re saying I’m cute?” Arin asked, couldn't help the smug smile crept across her face.

“Don’t everyone calls you cute?”

“Well, that’s true but coming from …” Arin trailed off before she could finish her sentence. "I mean … yeah." 

It was quiet for a moment, Binnie then said, "Hmm, well then that's all from me, congrats again."

It was awkward but Arin managed to brush it off. She then grinned and nodded her head, "Thank you and also to the rest of the seniors it would be great if they're all here now."

"Oh, you can say it to our group chat," Binnie suggested. "They would be grateful." 

"I promise I will work harder as your student and won't let you down," Arin said, determined.

Binnie blushed a little at the thought of it and proudly smiled, "Good, see you soon then, and good luck with the scripts just call me if you any help." Binnie gave a thumb up and then waved a little. Arin took a step back and briefly waved back before turning around, she couldn't help smiling to herself as she walked toward the door.

But the door suddenly burst opened before Arin could reach out for the knob. She gasped in surprised and almost drop her script.

"Oomph, I'm really sorry." Arin looked up to the voice that belongs to a girl with the most beautiful and clear eyes she had ever seen and it took her a second to realized who she was. Kim Jiho, one of the 'It' girl in school and also a part of the student council. It was impossible not to notice her around the school, she had that strong vibe around her everywhere she goes that could easily make one self-esteem dropped at once.

"I've told you many times to knock the door," Binnie said, interrupted Arin thoughts.

"I did." Jiho simply said. 

"Who would barge in like that after a knock? I didn't even hear a thing."

"Well, I thought you were alone," Jiho said, glancing at Arin. She then asked Binnie in a hushed voice. "Who is this cutie?"

Annoyance flashed across Binnie's face. "Just one of the junior," Binnie flatly said. "What are you doing here?"

"Oh… " Jiho glanced at Arin again before looking back at Binnie. "Well, to see you of course."

Binnie nodded her head and looked at Arin. "Yewon, see you next week," Binnie said, calling Arin by her real name. 

"Yewon... " Jiho eyed Arin head to toe and when their eyes met again Jiho slowly grinned as if she knows something that Arin had no clue about. "Suits you." She said and then took a glance at Binnie. 

"Jiho," Binnie sounded like she was warning Jiho on something.

"What? She's cute."

"She's a no." Binnie snapped. Somehow, it made Arin felt a little conscious about how she look suddenly. 

"Fine." Jiho rolled her eyes. "Oh, don't worry I just meant your name suits you."  

"Oh," Arin awkwardly smile. "Then… I will go now." Arin bowed at the both of them.

"Aww, that's too bad I would love to talk to you more." Jiho continued to tease even though she knew it would piss Binnie. 

"Yewon, just go," Binnie said as she let her hand down, slapping the table.

"Tsk, why are you so uptight about?" Jiho whined. She then gave a friendly wave at Arin before bouncing to Binnie's side. 

"I've told you to wait for me at the gate," Binnie said.

"I know but the council meeting ended earlier," Jiho whined as she leaned forward to Binnie and hugged her from behind. "Don't you miss me?"

"I still have a lot to do," Binnie said, avoiding the question.

"It's okay, I can stay and watch you work," Jiho said as she tightened her hug around Binnie's neck and ruffled Binnie's hair with her chin.

"Kim Jiho, you better stop that." Even though Binnie still sounded annoyed but her expression showed otherwise. She was trying to hold back her smile but failed and started to laugh when Jiho didn't stop. "Alright, alright stop just sit there quietly I will finish soon."

Arin watched them for a while before stepping out of the room and slowly pulling the door behind her. She tried to listen to their conversation as much as possible but couldn't catch much. They seemed pretty close. Arin thought. Too close. They way Binnie smile with Jiho, it felt different. 

Arin knew she shouldn't be bothered about them but somehow she found herself feeling uneasy. She closed her eyes and shook the feelings off, she should be focusing more on her script play. She then took out her phone and texted Dayoung, her best friend, about the great news. At least there's something she could use to distract herself. 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

A/n: Bear with me with the late update, but I will definitely try my best to update often <3 Thank you all for reading and to those who commented that you like this story so far. I really love reading all of your comments!

ps: I'm definitely having writer's block coz I'm still not sure what characters Jiho and JinE going to be like. Any suggestions?