Five

Colors of Love

 

“Let’s go, idiot,” Seunghee said as she walked past Mimi and smacked the back of her head.

Mimi then started to whine but Seunghee just continued on walking and went down the stairs while Mimi quickly caught up to her. 

 

“I’m really really really sorry.” Mimi held Seunghee by her arm and kept tugging her while giving her the puppy eyes look. “I didn't mean to hit the ball so hard and I didn't expect the ball to-”

“It wasn’t because how hard you hit the ball but your aiming was just too … ugh, how did you even do it? You weren’t even facing the stage, gosh.” Seunghee said, unbelievable.

“Oh … but please don’t be mad at me anymore, let’s eat something cold to cool you down, okay? My treat!” Mimi knew her best friend couldn’t be mad at her for long and not always Mimi offer to treat. So, of course, Seunghee wouldn’t want to miss it. Seunghee decided to drop the matter and nodded her head.

“Yes!! Aww, I love you so much!” Mimi shrieked in excitement as she gave Seunghee a tight side hug.

“Ew! Get away from me.” Seunghee managed to get away and quickly ran off toward the school gate.

“Why? It’s just a hug.” Mimi pouted but started to chase Seunghee with her arms spread out. Seunghee screamed and laughed as she ran faster. "Don't come near me!" When they finally reached the school gate, Seunghee suddenly slowed down and Mimi almost bumped into her.

“What’s wrong?” Mimi frowned. She then looked to where Seunghee was looking and saw YooA. She was standing not far from them and was holding her phone to her ear. And for some reason, she looked anxious. Mimi then nudged Seunghee, “Do you think she’s okay?”

“How would I know, it’s not like I could read her mind.” She sarcastically said. “Go ask her if you’re so curious.” Seunghee was joking and didn’t expect Mimi to do as she said. Mimi cautiously walked up to YooA, ignoring Seunghee hissing at her from the back. "Hey, come back I was just kidding."

 

Mimi took a deep breath before tapping her finger on YooA’s shoulder. She turned around with a frown on her face but quickly changed to a friendly smile when she saw Mimi. YooA then put away her phone in her bag and greeted them.

“I thought everybody went back home already,” YooA said, slightly relieved. She then smiled at Seunghee who was standing behind Mimi with a sullen face.

“Seunghee and I are going back home together but then we saw you," Mimi said. When YooA just nodded, Mimi added. "Hmm, once again I'm sorry about just now in the hall, I really didn’t mean to-"

"It's okay, I understand it was an accident." YooA interrupted before Mimi could finish.

"If only your leader is as understanding like you." Seunghee bluntly said which earned a glare from Mimi.

"About that, Hyojung was really sorry about what she did, she can be stubborn at times but she probably felt bad and just don’t know how to make up for it." YooA tried to explain. Even though Hyojung didn't say anything, YooA knew Hyojung probably felt apologetic.

"Was it so hard for her to say sorry," Seunghee mumbled and looked away. Mimi anxiously laughed and then moved on to a new topic.

"Is something wrong? You don’t look good.”

“Oh, was it obvious?" YooA asked as she looked down and tucked her hair behind her ear. “I was calling my mom, she told me she will fetch me today but she’s not picking up my call since 15 minutes ago.”

Mimi nodded her head, "Oh… how about your dad?"

YooA expression changed a little and then she said with a small voice, "I don't have a father." Mimi's eyes widen and quickly apologized. The atmosphere suddenly turned really awkward when YooA just smiled, shaking her head and took out her phone again to check it. Unsure what to say, Mimi nudged Seunghee for help.

Seunghee felt the awkwardness and hastily asked, "How about your brother or sister?"

YooA shook her head again, "I'm an only child."

"Oh … " Seunghee mouth opened and closed, a little confused but then she nudged Mimi back.

Mimi forced out a laugh as she tried to shake off the awkwardness. "Hmm, it must be nice not having sibling around, they can be a pain in the sometimes like my sisters." Seunghee then laughed along and nodded her head in agreement. "Yeah, my sister always nag at me too."

"Well, it can be quite lonely." YooA shrugged. Mimi and Seunghee stopped their fake laugh as both of them felt more helpless. Like a dumb and a dumber, Mimi and Seunghee continued nudging, hissing and blaming each other for making things worst.

 

"It's okay, I guess I will call my … friend."

"Ahh friend, she has a friend," Seunghee said, somehow relieved. But Mimi, on the other hand, knew who was the 'friend' she was referring to. She suddenly didn’t like the idea.

After a few rings and no answer, YooA hung up. "I guess my friend not available too, probably asleep."

 

What a great boyfriend you have there. Mimi thought, but of course, she didn't say it out.

 

"I think I have no choice but to take the cab." YooA searched through her bag and took out her wallet but was disappointed to see that she had no notes left in her wallet. Mimi saw and straight away reached out to her pocket and took out a ten dollar note.

"Here, you can take mine." Overwhelmed with the sudden offer, YooA quickly rejected it. "It's okay, you can pay me back tomorrow." Mimi who had no idea where she got the courage from, she took YooA's hand and placed her ten dollar note on it. She then proudly smiled before she took a glance at Seunghee who looked unamused.

"What?" Seunghee didn't say anything but she just snickered.

 

"I don't know why you've been kind to me but thank you so much I will definitely pay you back." YooA gave a gratitude smile to Mimi before she added, "Oh, is it okay if we exchange phone numbers? It would be easier for me to find you tomorrow."

For a second Mimi wonder why YooA wanted to find her tomorrow and got a little too excited. She then quickly fished out her phone from her pocket. Her hands were trembling and sweating as they exchanged numbers. It wasn't how she imagined it but nonetheless, she finally had YooA's number.

After a few minutes of waiting, a yellow cab finally arrived. Before YooA got into the cab, Mimi called her name. "Erm, could you text me once you reach home? You know, just in case." Mimi grinned, hoping she said yes.

YooA nodded and grinned back at her, "Sure! Thanks again, bye." YooA hopped into the cab and Mimi closed the door for her. Both of them waved at each other and the cab drove off. Mimi watched the cab leave as she let out a deep breath and couldn't stop grinning.


"Wow, it feels as if I'm invisible." An unamused voice said behind her. Mimi slowly but nervously turned around to face Seunghee, as if she got caught flirting.

 

 

------------------------------------------------------

 

"Why are you my friend?" Seunghee glared at Mimi and then looked down at the bowl on the table in front of her. "You said you have ice cream."

Seunghee ended up followed Mimi back to her house. Apparently, Mimi had used up all her money for YooA's cab fee, so she couldn't treat her. They then decided to go to Mimi's house instead to have some ice cream but once again Seunghee was betrayed.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know my sisters finished it all." Mimi looked apologetic.

"But … shaved ice and whip cream?!" Seunghee picked up the bowl in disbelief.

"Well, I don’t have ice cream so I thought some ice and cream make up for it?"

"Ugh, my head suddenly hurts," Seunghee said as she placed her hand on her forehead. "I'm very disappointed."

Mimi just chuckled. "You're more dramatic than Hyo-"

"Don’t you dare say her name." Seunghee let her body fell back on Mimi's living room couch and sighed. "I had enough from you today." She then picked up the remote control beside her and started to switch the TV channels while stirring the bowl with a spoon on her other hand.

 

They were quiet for quite some time and Seunghee finally decided on to watch a lame variety show that seemed nice at first but it gets boring after a while. Seunghee then got deep in thoughts with everything that happened that day. She then finally broke the silence.

“You like her, huh?”

“Who?” Mimi asked, eyes still on the TV. 

“YooA," Seunghee pointed out, Mimi head snapped up but didn’t say anything. "You like YooA, right? The girl you betrayed me for.“

"No." Mimi snapped but then she reluctantly said, "I-I don’t like her like that.”

Seunghee didn’t quite convince because she was sure her stingy best friend won’t just lend a stranger money without any hesitation. She was sure Mimi wasn't the type that gets all busybody over other people business.

Mimi didn’t even buy her a present for her last year’s birthday. Not that she’s trying to be petty, but heck, she even almost forgot to wish her.

“What so nice about her?” Seunghee scoffed. Mimi felt a little defensive, “She’s nice, alright.”

“How do you know? You barely talk to her.”

“Well, doesn’t she seem nice? I mean, you probably don’t see it coz you have this bad impression with her club but I know she's nice on the inside and of course, also on the outside she's … pretty too especially when she smile with her eye smile showing.” Mimi got a little carried away. She then turned away and bit her lower lip as she started to blush.

And that summed up her theory, Seunghee was very sure Mimi wasn't the type to go all blushing and smiling like an idiot over a damn eye smile.

“Aha! I saw that!” Seunghee threateningly pointed the spoon she was holding at Mimi. “You’re blushing! Oh my god, Mimi’s in love.”

Mimi was flustered by what Seunghee said that she couldn't find a word to tackle back and defend herself. So she just gulped and lowered her head in defeat, avoiding Seunghee eyes.

“Wow, I’ve known you for 3 years and I never knew you like girls.”

“Well … I don't know,” Mimi shrugged. "I guess, it's just her?"

“Ew, that’s cheesy.” Seunghee scrunched up her nose and laughed. Mimi hit Seunghee thigh as she blushed harder.

"Are you okay with it? Is it weird?" Mimi started to question Seunghee or maybe more to herself.

Seunghee thought about, "I find it weird at first but I don’t think there's anything wrong about it." Mimi was relieved to hear that from her best friend but she was still confused.

"But I'm still unsure myself honestly," Mimi confessed.

“Oh well, I guess if you like girls you would probably fall for me first.” Seunghee confidently said as she lifted up her chin and flipped her hair. Mimi scrunched up her nose this time and rolled her eyes.

"No one will fall for you," Mimi said. Seunghee scowled at her at first but then she nodded, "I think you're right." And then both of them burst into laughter.

"Err, Seungseung." Mimi calling her best friend's nickname as her laughter fade. "There’s something I want to tell you." Seunghee raised her eyebrows. Mimi then slowly stood up from the couch and took a few steps backward, "Actually, I was just kidding about my sister eating all the ice-cream." Seunghee mouth opened, dumbfounded.

"There's still some in the fridge and since I love you so much I will go and get it now, alright?” Mimi held out her hands and she gestured Seunghee to take a deep breath as she looked really angry.

"You better get that ice cream before I throw this bowl over you." Seunghee threatened. Mimi gulped and quickly jogged to her kitchen.

 

----------------------------------------------

 

Later that night, Mimi tossed and turn on her bed. Contemplating whether to text YooA or not as she had told YooA to text her once she reached home but it'd been hours since then and nothing from her.

Maybe she forgets or maybe something happen to her?  Mimi started to get worried.

"Ah, heck it." Mimi reached out her phone lying beside her pillow and texted YooA.

-Hello YooA! I'm Mimi, just wanna check are you home? A few seconds later, her phone beeped.

-Hello Mimi! Yes! I'm so sorry it slipped my mind to text you. I've reached home like hours ago and all washed up I'm on my bed now.

Mimi felt relieved but then the thought of YooA tucking herself in bed, in her pajamas all freshen up and probably smells really good, triggered Mimi. Her face was all red now, she could feel warmth rising up her face and was smiling an idiot.

"What is wrong with you?" Mimi slapped her forehead, she then replied.

-Oh, really glad to hear that you're safe home. I'm going to bed soon!

-That's really nice of you, thanks again! Me too, I'm really sleepy now.Goodnight, see you soon in school! >3<

"Cute" Mimi muttered to herself as she imagined YooA looking sleepy. [a/n: She's whipped, haha]

-Goodnight, see you tomorrow! ;)

With that Mimi sent the last message of the night. Of course, she wished it could last longer but she would rather take things slowly. Furthermore, they still barely know each other and Mimi still wasn't sure whether she would want YooA to know her feelings yet.

"It's too fast," Seunghee said. "Just let the friendship build up first," Mimi remembered Seunghee advice from that evening.

Mimi switched off her room lamp light and covered her face with her pillow. She was definitely looking forward to meeting YooA the next day.

 

---------------------------------------------------

[A/n: Thought of writing a short chapter but ended up with this lol hope you guys enjoy it so far! <3]