Four

Colors of Love

 

 

Mimi tapped her finger at the side of her desk as she watched the clock ticked, it was a few minutes away to 6 o'clock. Once the clock struck 6, she straight away stood up grabbed her bag and her assignments that she took hours to finish and quickly make her way to the teacher's table.

"Here!" Mimi then gently placed her assignments on Mrs. Jeon desk and bowed at her. "Thank you and have a nice day, Mrs. Jeon." Mimi was about to rush out of the classroom but was stopped. 

"Hold on." She said, "I need to check it first."

"But you checked for corrections the previous time already," Mimi whined.

"What's the rush?" Mimi opened but quickly shut it. She couldn’t possibly say that she's rushing to see someone or else, Mrs. Jeon might not let her go so easily. "I.…need to rush home, of course." Mimi lied.

Mrs. Jeon narrowed her eyes at Mimi and then rolled her eyes. "Well then, make sure you go home straight." Mimi nodded and gave a salute to Mrs. Jeon before she took off.

 

Mimi jogged her way down the stairs and to the second level where the school hall was. She knew her best friend, Seunghee would be there as well, as she is the captain of the volleyball team. They sometimes had their practice in the hall. And she knew the drama club also most of the time had their rehearsals in the hall but they only occupied the stage.

That’s why she was glad Seunghee was on the volleyball team, at least she could just hang around in the hall and secretly watched over YooA without looking like a creep. Technically, she’s stalking but Mimi didn’t want to think it that way.

 

Mimi entered the hall from the right side entrance, where she make her way to her usual spot which was at the back of the hall. However, as she was heading to the back, suddenly a ball rolled past in front of her.

 

Mimi looked up, “Oh sorry Mimi, could you help toss the ball back.” Said one of the girls who Mimi recognized from the third year, named Nayeon. Mimi smiled as she took a few steps and picked up the ball.

 

“You really want me to throw to you?” Nayeon nodded and smiled as she seemed ready to catch the ball. “Alright, if you say so.”

Mimi thought it was a great idea to show how far and strong she could hit the ball. She took a step back and composed herself. She then tossed the ball high enough before jumping and slammed the ball as hard as she could. 

But one thing Mimi forgot, she was never good at aiming. The ball flew nowhere near Nayeon, she looked confused for a second and then gasped when she realized where the ball was heading.

“.” It happened too fast. Mimi helplessly watched as the ball went over the stage and straight through the curtains. One by one the players stopped whatever they were doing. It was suddenly ghost-quiet, and we all just stood there staring at the stage.

 

“Mimi, what is wrong with you?” Seunghee hissed at Mimi.

“It’s going to be another drama.” Nayeon sighed.

For a long time, there were nothing. And then, there was some movement. Everyone held their breath as the ball came emerging from the stage curtain as it rolled down the stage and onto the floor.

 

One of the team players, JinE, who was standing nearest to the stage picked up the ball. She then turned around and looked at her team captain, uneasy look plastered on her face.

JinE sighed as she read the hideous words that were scraped on the ball "You're Welcome" Reluctant, JinE walked toward Seunghee. "I don't think you will like this." She said as she showed the ball. 

There were mutters from the rest and she heard a few cursed.

Seunghee face darkened, tongue in cheek. She then took the ball from JinE's hands and headed toward the stage.

"Hyojung, come out."

There were no respond, only sounds of gushing winds from the fans. Knowing Hyojung, Seunghee rephrased what she said but in a slightly polite tone, "Can you please come out? I know you're in there."

 

And then the stage curtain opened, slowly revealing a smug looking Hyojung first, and then with rest of her members behind her.

There it was, the roll eyes. "Oh come on! Do you have to be so dramatic?"

"I am called the drama queen after all." Hyojung flipped her long ponytail. "What do you want?"

 

Seunghee cracked up, exasperated. "You're funny, why did you do this?" Seunghee then flatly asked and pointed at the ball she was holding.

"Oh, a little present from me do you like it?" Hyojung asked and then briefly waved her hand around as she smiled, "It makes the ball look fancier."

"A present." Seunghee scoffed, "How old you? Five?"

"Listen here, I've warned you many times and the last time I said I won't be nice anymore when those balls hit my stage again."

"Huh, your stage? Which part of-" Seunghee was ready to fight but Mimi stopped her.

 

Mimi couldn't stand watching anymore as she felt really bad, so she interrupted their bickering. "I-I'm so sorry, but it wasn't their fault, it’s me, I was the one who accidentally throws the ball too hard that it went over the stage." She explained. "If anything, you should blame me."

"Who are you?" Hyojung asked, too sharply.

"I'm sorry, my name is Mimi." Mimi awkwardly introduced herself as everyone in the hall looked at her.

“Aren’t you with the team?”

Mimi shook her head, "I was just walking past the hall when they needed my help to pass the ball and I guess, I hit it too hard." Mimi explained herself more and gestured her hand to show the way she hit the ball.

“But you always seemed to be around the hall whenever the volleyball team is here.” Hyojung was sure she was the one who always sat at the back of the hall hanging out with the volleyball team.

Mimi glanced at YooA who was standing beside Hyojung, she looked tired and annoyed.

“She’s a friend of mine, don’t get her involve with this. So, what are you going to do now?” Seunghee said as she twirled the ball with her hand.

 

Hyojung felt a tad bit guilty and embarrassed. The volleyball team was now looking at her as if expecting an apology. She had no choice and for a second, she thought of apologizing. But Seunghee ruined it when she gave her that smug smile as if she’d won this time round and Hyojung was not going to give her that. She could have strangled her.

 

“Whatever, just make sure there won’t be next time.” She flatly said. She then glanced to the side, where one of the juniors was standing near the stage main switches and nodded her head as in signaling her to close back the curtain. Hyojung turned her back as the stage curtain closed, ignoring Seunghee and the others angry complaints.

 

“You guys are dismissed,” Hyojung angrily muttered to her juniors. “The rest go back to the meeting room, I have things to discuss with you.” The juniors started to scatter off to the backstage, taking their stuff out before leaving. While the rest of the seniors followed Hyojung to the meeting room.

 

 

 

----------------------------------------------

 

“You shouldn’t have let her go, captain.” One of the year two players said as she threw the ball inside the net bag with the rest of the volleyballs. The team was also dismissed after the argument with the drama club, nobody has the mood to continue on with practice and it was already a quarter to 7 in the evening.

 

“I won’t let her off easily the next time she went overboard with her childish acts,” Seunghee said.

“That’s what you said the last time.” JinE pointed out. Seunghee scowled at her and she just chuckled. “I’m serious right now, next time I will definitely avenge the team and nobody can stop me, not even you,” Seunghee said as she glared at JinE.

 

“Like Hyojung said, there won’t be next time unless they are the one who started first until then don’t steer up any more trouble with the team, understood?” JinE warned.

Even though Seunghee was the captain but JinE was the oldest in the team. As usual, JinE may look calm but her voice was stern enough to make Seunghee and the rest of the team not dare to argue. JinE finished packing her bag and bid goodbye to the team. She then placed her hand on Seunghee shoulder and gave it a little squeeze before leaving.

 

Seunghee reties her hair from a messy ponytail to a bun as she tried to calm herself down but it didn’t work as she saw Mimi who was sitting on the floor at the other side of the hall. She was actually waiting for her.

“That girl,” She muttered to herself. “She’s going to get it from me.”

“Girls, make sure everything back in the store room before you go, next practice is on this Friday, remember don’t be late if not, everyone 10 laps around the field,” Seunghee said all at once. She then looked back at her best friend and grumbled as she grabbed her duffle bag and walked toward her.

 

 

-------------------------------------------------

A/n: Next chapter will be up later today <3