One

Colors of Love

 

Mimi held her palm out from under her quilt and groggily said, “Five more minutes, Mum.”

Last night wasn’t a great night for Mimi at all. She was up till 5.30 a.m. just scrolling through her phone, rolling on her bed and had absolutely no idea why she couldn’t sleep. Time check, it was 7 a.m.

“I’m late for work,” Mimi’s Mum flatly said that but Mimi very well knew she could never be late. “Am going to leave without you in 15 minutes.” That’s definitely not a lie. Mimi’s eyes shot wide opened and pushed herself off the bed. She then whined that her mom would usually let her get ready in 30 minutes.

“Three more minutes~” Mimi’s mom sang out as she walked past Mimi’s room while dangling her car keys. Mimi who was tying up her hair started to grunt. She rushed to get her school bag from her messy desk which reminded her that she needed to tidy up her room that was just as messy. “For once can’t you be a little more patient.” Mimi said as she quickly caught up to her mom who was just about to enter her car.

“You should know me very well, honey, I’ve got no time.” She said slamming the car door. Mimi got on the passenger seat and let out a sigh. “All ready!” Shortly after her mom got on the road, Mimi took out her earphones and let herself drown in music as she gazed out the window not exactly looking anywhere but slowly zoning out.

Mimi was then jolted up from her short nap by her mom's car loud horn followed by the sudden brake of the car. Mimi held her hands out front and for that split second she thought they were going to crash. “I think I just hit someone.” Mimi's mom said as she slowly turned her head to meet her daughter’s equally terrified eyes. Both of them quickly got out of the car at the same time. Mimi saw a petite body cowering in front of the car, luckily she didn't seem to be hurt anywhere and Mimi then realized the girl was wearing the same uniform as hers.

“I’m so sorry dear, are you hurt?” Mimi’s mom quickly got on to the girl’s side but seconds later she was roughly pushed by an unknown guy. “Hey, you-!” Mimi almost rush to her mom side but was put off when she saw the girl's face. Mimi couldn't help muttered a curse.

“Watch out, old hag.” The guy spat as he roughly grabbed on the doll-like looking girl whom Mimi was more than familiar with, Yoo Shiah, or most people called her, YooA. Mimi managed to compose herself back from the shock and rushed to defend her mom. “Dude, it was an accident and my mom was just trying to check on her, there's no reason for you to be rude and push my mom like that.” Mimi’s mom gently tugged Mimi’s arm, trying to calm her daughter down but Mimi could feel her mom's hands trembling.

“She almost hit my girlfriend.”

And that very moment, Mimi froze on the spot. And then she could feel herself slowly losing her cool. “I have the right reason to be angry at your stupid mother.” Mimi clenched her hand into a fist ready to swing up his face but her mom quickly gave a tug at her arm again.

“Look dear, I am really sorry for what just happened and I’m sure none of us wanted this to happen.” Said Mimi’s mom before she looked at YooA and added, “It's my fault, I was in the rush and I should have been more alert, I hope you’re alright dear are you hurt?” Mimi knew her mom wasn’t afraid of the guy. She was just being careful with her words and not to get the jerk more agitated than he already was. YooA on the other hand, looked like she was still recovering from the shock in which Mimi’s gaze softened by the sight of her.

“I’m not hurt don’t worry, just a little shock.” YooA finally spoke and she gave an assuring smile to Mimi and her mom. Mimi’s heart slightly fluttered upon hearing YooA's voice. It was actually the first time Mimi heard her voice up close, loud and clear, not just murmurs. It was beautiful as she had imagined.

“Are you kidding me?" The guy scowled and looked at YooA in disbelief. Mimi tried not to smirk. "Jay, I’m alright," YooA continued. "Let’s go …” YooA then mumbled a few words but Mimi couldn’t make out what she was saying. However, it seemed to convince Jay though because he suddenly glared at us as if warning us and then he stomped away, holding YooA along at his side.

"Wait, are you sure you don't want to go to a clinic or -" Mimi's mom was genuinely tried to offer a help but was cut off by Jay flat out held up his middle finger without even glancing at us.

“Wow, that’s nice.” Mimi’s mom stifled a laugh and shrugged. “Well, at least he didn’t report us yay us ...” As much as Mimi love her mother but sometimes she hated a part of her that was too optimistic. Mimi looked at her mom in disbelief unable to say anything.

“Come on now, I know what you’re thinking just let it go.” Mimi was about to protest but her mom firmly warned her. “No Mimi, I don’t want to hear anything or any trouble from you young lady, plus we will never see them again so drop it.”

“Easy for you to say.” Mimi muttered to herself as she got back into the car. Her mom gave her a final warning before finally reaching school and dropped her off. Mimi waved at her mom as she drove off. Mimi let out a big sigh as she thought, it’s going to be a long and bad day for her.

 

--------------------------------------