ordinary songs // ix. aid for your heart [5/5]

The Soundtrack of Our Youth

snails house - aid for your heart

    Mina hangs on to her jacket sleeve the whole time, following uncertainly.
“Where are we going?” she asks again, in that quiet voice that Momo love so much.
As they get on the bus, Momo turns around, grinning, “it’s a secret.”
Mina pouts, but she follows anyway.
There’s only one seat left, so Momo lets Mina take it, despite her protests.
“I-I can stand,” she stammers.
Momo shakes her head.
“Momo…” Mina whines.
Flustered, Momo shakes here head again and looks away, “that—that was really cute, but no. You’re sitting.”

    If she thinks about it, Momo’s not really sure how she managed to get here; on a date with Myoui Mina. Less than half a year ago, Myoui Mina was an unattainable fantasy, that ridiculously dark and mysterious rebel, leather jacket and combat boots and all. Now, Mina is sat in front of her as she stands, looking out curiously at what’s outside the window. Her breath catches in her chest as Mina reaches up to hold her hand silently. Even though she’s wearing the same leather jacket and combat boots as she was the first time Momo saw her, Mina looks different. She looks—she just looks unreal. But she’s real and we’re going on a date. God is real. 

    As the bus pulls away from the suburbs and into the city, Mina starts guessing where they’re going.
“Are we going to a cafe?”
Momo shakes her head.
“Walking around the city?”
Momo shakes here head again.
Mina pouts.
“Aw, keep trying,” Momo smiles.
“A hint?”
Humming, Momo pretends to think about it, “you’ll like it.”
Mina tugs on her hand as she pouts, “that’s so vague!” she whines.
As her heart swells, Momo laughs, “that’s all the hints I have.”
“An arcade?” Mina asks, a hopeful glint in her eyes.
“Nope,” but Momo saves that for later, for next time. Maybe on our next date.
Mina huffs and gives up. 

    At the top of the huge hill that overlooks the river, just on the edge of the city, are the botanic gardens. Momo spent a lot of time searching for the best places for first dates, and in all the lists she saw, money was a necessary resource (also one she didn’t have). The botanic gardens, however, were free to the public (perfect for a broke student like her). So that’s why they’re on the bus now, turning into the stop just behind the entrance of the gardens. Mina’s fallen asleep, head resting against Momo’s hip as Momo holds her steady.
“Mina, we’re here,” she whispers gently.
Mina sighs as she opens her eyes slowly. With a tug on her hand, Momo’s pulling Mina out of the bus, shouting her thanks to the driver.
“W..where…?”
“You’ll see.”

    Momo decides she loves the gardens. Not just because it’s full of plants, which she loves, but because the gardens are so big that it’s almost like they're the only ones there. Mina walks ahead of her, looking around in awe. There’s something so great about seeing Mina amongst all the plants, watching her as she walks slowly, stopping to see every flower. Mina doesn’t know, but Momo takes plenty of photos. For a while, Momo’s so busy just standing there, staring in Mina’s general direction as she daydreams, that she almost doesn’t hear Mina calling out to her.
“Momo?”
She shakes herself awake, “y-yeah?”
Mina looks down at the ground, holding her hands behind her back bashfully, “why don’t you…walk with me?”
SO PRECIOUS!
Momo is next to her in a beat. They walk alongside each other, and it’s quiet. Mina looks at her in surprise when she takes her hand. Momo just grins. Mina’s hand is soft. 

    Some time later they find themselves sitting on a patch of grass. Daisies grow at the very edge where the grass meets the path, and Momo teaches Mina how to make daisy chains. The chain doesn’t get very long, because there aren’t that many daisies lying around, so Momo settles for putting the flowers in Mina hair. In turn, Mina puts some in Momo’s and Momo decides that Mina’s gummy smile is something she wants to see everyday. 

    “Are you hungry?” Momo asks. It’s way past lunchtime, and Momo is unable to deny the growling of her stomach.
“Not really. But you are, aren’t you?” Mina teases softly.
Almost as if on cue, Momo’s stomach growls.
Mina giggles.
With flowers in their hair, they sit on the grass and eat. It’s nice, being with Mina.

    When the sun starts to go down, they head down to catch the bus. With flowers still in their hair, they sit right at the back of the bus. The ride home is quiet, but it’s nice too. Mina falls asleep again, this time with her head resting on Momo’s shoulder. Momo rests her head on the top of Mina’s and she holds onto her hand gently. She sighs. She wonders if it was a good first date.

    This time, instead of Mina walking her home, she walks Mina home. Still half asleep from her nap on the bus, Mina clings groggily to Momo’s arm. With one hand, Momo holds Mina stand, and with the other, she carries Mina’s schoolbag. It’s heavy, but somehow the weight is lost on her, and it feels like she could carry anything. She drops Mina off at her door, making sure Mina manages to get inside before fall asleep again. With one last look at Mina’s front door, wondering if it was a good date or not, she heads home. 

    Barely three steps later, Mina comes crashing into her.
“M-Mina?” she sputters.
Mina is panting slightly, her hair is slightly messy and she’s not wearing any shoes.
“I-I—I wanted to—thank you for the date,” Mina squeaks.
Momo beams.
Mina blushes.
There’s silence for a while, until Mina speaks again, this time, so softly, that Momo almost doesn't hear it, “let’s go on more.”
Momo smiles so widely she feels her face ache, “of course.”
Mina blushes more, and with a swifter peck on Momo’s cheek, she’s running back inside.
Momo grins. 

_____________________________
lmao wtf am i doing i have exams in a week fml
oh well
gardening gays out!!
ty for joining us!!
stay tuned for more gays! (not in gardens)
tbh this was kind of imo but oh well jsut needed a break from studying
yeet im out