ordinary songs // ii. ラ・ム・ネ (ra-mu-ne)

The Soundtrack of Our Youth

ラ・ム・ネ (ra-mu-ne) - snail's house

    “God it’s too hot to do anything,” Momo groans as she lies on the hardwood floor of their small apartment, trying to cool down.
Mina laughs at the way she spreads herself on the floor; it’s as if she’s melting.
“Don’t laugh,” Momo pouts.
Mina joins her on the floor and plants a chaste kiss on her cheek, “sorry,” she says, but she laughs again anyway.
Momo whines and shifts away from Mina in irritation and Mina laughs again, rolling over to snuggle into Momo.
“Get off me, it’s too hot and I’m sweaty,” Momo whines again.
“No,” Mina giggles and wraps her arms around Momo, tightening her grip and ignoring the uncomfortable heat.
Momo eventually gives up and returns the embrace, sighing as she traces shapes on Mina’s back, “you’re so annoying; why am I dating you?”
To which Mina snorts in response and leans up to blow into Momo’s ear, laughing as her girlfriend squeals and recoils.

    Mina has always liked these lazy summer days, when they’re free from the stresses of work and school and can just lie there like this (it’s not often, but she takes what she can get). Perhaps it’s the way the stifling heat makes her lazy, the way Momo never wants to do anything but lie on the floor in their small living room, where their cheap fan blows warm air over the two of them.
“Hey,” she whispers.
“Hmm?”
“Let’s get married and have ten dogs.”
Momo shifts to prop herself up on one arm, and looks at Mina in amusement, “we can’t even afford half a dog.”
“Well…” Mina thinks, “when we graduate, and get jobs…let’s get ten dogs.”
Momo nods, “one day. When we can afford to pay for air-conditioning and never have to be sweaty like this.”
Mina pouts, “but I like—this.”
“Okay but—think about this—decreased temperature equals increased cuddles,” Momo reasons.
Mina gasps, “you make a very convincing argument, Hirai Momo.”
“Why, thank you, Myoui Mina. I’d like to thank my wonderful girlfriend, Myoui Mina, and her A+ cuddling abilities, which have greatly aided my discovery.”
Mina stares open-mouthed at Momo, “what kind of cringe- loser—”
“Why are you always so mean to me?” Momo whines.
“Anyway, one of the dogs has to be called Butter.”
“Did you just ignore me?”
“Momo! Attention! One of the dogs has to be called Butter!”
Momo sighs, “why am I in love with you?”
Mina grins, “I’m just really great, I guess.”
She raises her hands up in a weak attempt at defending herself, but she’s no match for Momo, who is quick to take her revenge by trapping Mina under her body’s weight. 

    It’s too hot for anything, honestly, so Momo just lies there, on the floor, on top of Mina.
“Hey,” Mina calls softly, a hand playing with Momo’s hair.
“Yeah?”
“Do you ever—” Mina pauses, “do you ever feel scared? Of the future?”
Momo nestles her face in the curve of Mina’s neck and hums, “mmm, no, not really. Why?”
“I don’t know,” Mina sighs, “it’s just—overwhelming to think of, I guess.”
“What’s so overwhelming? It’s easy, we’ll graduate, get jobs, be able to afford air-conditioning, have ten dogs and get married. Simple.”
Mina giggles and pulls Momo just a little closer, “that’s a nice thought, but nothing is ever that easy.”
Momo pouts, “oh just relax, won’t you? We can just enjoy what we have now and worry about the future when it gets here.”
Mina frowns and tries to argue, but Momo sees this and before she can say anything, there are two fingers pushing at the corners of her lips.
“Hey, save those wrinkles for when we get old together.”
Mina scrunches up her nose and pulls away, then sighs. The conversation fades into silence, and Momo closes her eyes to listen to Mina’s heartbeat and finds herself being lulled to sleep by the slow, steady rise and fall of her chest.

    It’s dark when she wakes up. The apartment is silent, apart from the dull hum of the fan and the creaking of it oscillating. She’s a little sweaty, but who isn’t in this disgusting weather? (Mina isn’t, she stills smells like flowers)
Mina groans, “what…what time is it?”
Momo shrugs, “I dunno.”
“Get off me, you’re heavy,” Mina pouts as she squirms under Momo’s weight.
“No.”
“Hirai Momo!”
“Myoui Mina.”
“I hate you.”
Momo tightens her hold on Mina and smiles as she rubs buries her face into Mina’s neck, “I love you too.”

    After a long hard day of doing absolutely nothing, Momo decides that it’s time they reward themselves with food.
“You up for pizza?”
Mina sits up almost immediately, “yes. Always.”
Momo laughs as she orders their usual order.
“Pepsi or Coke?” she asks, looking at Mina, who’s still sitting on the floor.
“Umm…don’t we have have some drinks in the fridge?”
“Can you check?”
With a groan, Mina forces herself off the ground, “why do you make my life so hard?”
“Ganbatte.”
Mina rolls her eyes, “you good with Ramune?”
“Yeah, I guess,” Momo shrugs.
“Ramune it is, then.”

    When the pizza arrives, they return to their previous spots on the floor, lying on their stomachs as they watch a movie and fill their empty stomachs.
“So what ware we going to call the other nine dogs?” Momo asks with a mouthful of food.
Mina frowns, “you’re disgusting. One has to be called Riceball.”
Momo takes another bite of her pizza, “you know, for someone who’s always teasing me for eating so much, you sure name your dogs after food a lot.”
“It’s only been two dogs. Besides, if they weren’t named after food, would you even remember their names?”
“…maybe.”
Mina snorts, “typical.”
“Hey! I don’t always think about food!”
“Oh yeah? What else do you think about?” Mina grins smugly.
“You.”
Momo says it so smoothly and so casually that Mina is taken aback. She blushes.
“Sh-shut up.”
Momo grins, amused at the thought that Mina is so easily embarrassed despite how long they’ve been dating, “why?”
“You—you’re disgusting.”
Laughing out loud, Momo nearly chokes on her pizza. Coughing as she recovers, she takes a sip of her soda, the marble clinking against the glass as she puts it back down on the floor.
“Oh Mina, how much more precious can you get?”
Mina stays quiet, giving Momo a rough shove as she starts laughing again.
But it’s hard to hold back a smile, especially when Momo presses a greasy kiss to her cheek and steals sips of her drink. 

_____________________________
whats good my pals
my satisfaction with this is questionable but hey its something??
can't believe ive finished one whole term of school go me