He Dances

Stay Healthy. I Love You.

 

September 15, 2012

 

"EXO's performing at Phi Gamma Sigma's Social Night tonight,"

Wait, what?

 

It was a cold afternoon, perfect for a break from classes and studies. Soo Yeon sat by the park with her friends In Na and Bong Soon, both busy gushing over the new boys over cups of hot ramen. She wasn't listening much to their conversation, until she heard the Social Night part.

 

"Yeah, I heard," said In Na, "Everyone's invited to watch, actually. The school's helping these boys prep for stardom by helping the sorority spread the news."

Bong Soon giggled, "I am so going. Good thing there's no entrance fee. I can't wait to see them boys dancing their hearts out," she said.

 

Wait, dance?

 

'...and singing too. This should be so interesting. Hot guys who dance and sing are like God's gift to women in need,"

"You said it sister. Amen, indeed!'

"Wait," said Soo Yeon, "Do you mean...all of them will be dancing? Like, all?"

In Na rolled her eyes, "Of course, sweetie," she said, "EXO is a dance-slash-singing group."

It took Soo Yeon seconds before she could process this new information. After realizing everything, she couldn’t' help but laugh. In Na and Bong Soon looked at her with disdain, but Soo Yeon ignored them as she imagined the picture in her head.

 

Kyungsoo, dancing? Get real!

 

Soo Yeon couldn't imagine baby-faced Kyungsoo dancing like a schmexy beast. When they were in high school, he could barely do a waltz for their ballroom classes. His friends made fun of him for it (of course, she supported him wholeheartedly without his knowledge). Sure, he was the singing god but there was no way in hell he was a dancing machine.

Therefore, he was most likely to look like an idiot on Social Night.

"I have to see this," she said, "What time is this again?"

 


 

7:30 PM

 

The Phi Gamma Sigma's social hall was dressed for their event. But that wasn't the primary attraction for tonight: the nine boys visiting the area caught the attention of the visitors, most of them hormone-crazed school girls. No one had caught sight of them yet, but all the girls were in a frenzy of excitement.

 

Hee Jin, Soo Yeon noticed, was attempting to subdue her inner craziness. Hee Jin didn't have a good day, with all the homework and annoying ex hounding her, which meant she really needed an amazing night with the boys.

"Do we get to meet them after the dancing?" asked Soo Yeon.

Hee Jin scrolled down her phone, checking out the invite. "Yep, the boys get to socialize with us for tonight. That's a good thing," she said, "I definitely need this. Got no time to be thinking about dumb stuff."

Soo Yeon placed an arm around her roommate and gave her a gentle nudge, "Don't worry, maybe you'll go home with a crazed smile on your face," she said.

"Hopefully," said Hee Jin, "I need me some oppa love!"

Soo Yeon smiled, amused at her roommate's goals. While Hee Jin was there for the pure intention of having a great day, she was there to watch someone dance. And not just any dance, she hoped he would make a fool out of himself.

"All right everyone!" came a loud voice, "Welcome to Phi Gamma Sigma's Social Night! Let's get this party started!"

"C'mon," said Soo Yeon, pulling Hee Jin closer to the stage, "I've got to see this."

"Wow, someone's too thirsty right now, huh?" teased Hee Jin, "Gotta see everything front and center."

 

Soo Yeon merely laughed and nodded her head. While her roommate thinks she's being one thirsty noona (which she is, just not for this boy anymore), she's secretly excited to watch Kyungsoo attempt to dance. She hadn't spoken to him in years (obviously), which makes her wonder how he ended up in a dancing group.

 

"Welcome to our first Social Night for the semester!" announced Park Chae Rin, the sorority's president, "Looks like we have twice than our regular haul tonight. What are you girls waiting for, huh?"

"EXO! EXO!" came the chants.

"What? I can't hear you?" teased Chae Rin.

"EXO! EXO!"

The host giggled, trying to contain her own excitement. "Our school is very blessed to host one of Korea's newest boy groups. They'll be staying here for just a semester but they wish to spread the happiness with their talent," said Chae Rin, "Ah, I'm keeping all of you! Let's not prolong the agony anymore. Please welcome to the stage---EXO!"

Soo Yeon's ears almost hurt at the high pitched squealing and giggling as nine boys entered the stage. Again, she found herself astounded at them as they made their way, each one doing a signature smile or pose. They were all so tall, smooth and unbelievably attractive. How could God torture her like this?

Of course, he was the last to come up. He was definitely one of the smallest despite the brushed up hair. Soo Yeon bit her lip.

Do Kyungsoo flashed the audience a charming smile with his heart-shaped lips. Unlike most of his friends, he walked with a stride split between confidence and shyness. He stood beside one of the tallest boys and gave the audience a polite nod.

One of the boys took the microphone from Chae Rin and addressed the hormone-crazed crowd.

"Hello! My name is Suho, EXO's leader. We'd like to thank everyone for being so welcoming these past days. Thank you to those who helped us out with the moving and showing us around," he said in a good-natured voice, "But before I babble on, let me introduce to you EXO's members." He gestured a hand at his bandmates.

"Lay,"

"Chanyeol,"

"Chen,"

"Xiumin,"

The boy named Xiumin did an adorable Gwiyowmi pose, causing the girls to erupt in coos and giggles.

"Sehun,"

"Kai,"

Kai gave the audience an adorable/y wink. Soo Yeon felt Hee Jin giggling endlessly beside her and thought: who could blame her?

"And D.O.,"

D.O.?

Kyungsoo gave a little wave and the audience went wild. He appeared nervous, judging from his smile, which was less enthusiastic compared to his friends. He looked around constantly and shuffled his feet often.

"Tonight, we'll be performing one of our singles entitled 'Growl'," said Suho, "We hope you enjoy it!"

The boys got into position, six of them on one side, five on the other. Soo Yeon watched as Kyungsoo took part of the second half. She couldn't help but wonder how he was going to pull this off, Mr. Two-Left Feet of Class 2009.

 

 Let's see what you got, 'D.O', she thought sarcastically, Show me your dancing.

The beats began and the anticipation grew wild. As the performance progressed, Soo Yeon's initial proud aura shrank little by little.

Indeed, the boys were a talented bunch. Everything about them was on point: the looks, singing, and the dancing. As they popped and locked, Soo Yeon could feel the room becoming hot and heavy. Each boy brought something to the table, which made them damn irresistible.

Chanyeol was a rapper god and Baekhyun belted out amazing notes. Then there's that Kai who danced like a machine determined to get you pregnant. He immediately shed his puppy-faced image once he started flashing a wicked smile with his cool dance moves.

 

And, there's Kyungsoo.

 

Oh my god, was all Soo Yeon could say.

He still had his amazing voice and now, apparently, he managed to dance. Not just managed--he could dance. The shyness Soo Yeon spotted in the beginning was no more once the music began. While he didn't pop and locked like Kai, he was definitely a better dancer.

By the near end, Soo Yeon found her heart pacing wildly. She was unconsciously holding tightly unto the railing that separated her from the boys. Despite the abudance of beautiful boys in front of her, she was stuck with the one with heart-shaped lips.

He was on fire and she couldn't deny it.

 

Who's laughing now?