Basketball

Stay Healthy. I Love You.

 

June 28, 2006

 

It was the unpleasant truth: she at sports.

 

No matter how hard 13-year old In Soo-Yeon tried, it seemed like the Universe conspired to make her a terrible player in any field. Physical education was never her favorite subject, but at least she poured all efforts to make sure she did her best. Unfortunately, the game just really hated her guts.

Monday was volleyball day, which meant spiking and serving. The only serving that Soo-Yeon knew was five servings of spicy noodles or any other serving of food. But during that time, she endured getting hit one too many times with a ball in her face, She could already see some bruising developing on one part of her cheek.

Tuesday did not get better as she had to run numerous meters for track and field. She hated how her lungs gave up on her whenever she sprinted (or leapt, or whatever she was doing). By the end of the race, she'd find herself wheezing and wanting to just die.

 

Today, she faced basketball and Soo-Yeon could not wait for the day to end.

 

"Can't I just be a bench player?" she asked. The girls from her team glared at her, causing her to shrink back to her inferior self. She knew she'd rather not cross them again; her losing streak at volleyball caused them half of their grade.

"Your height is perfect for women's basketball," said Si Eun, "You'd easily kill those other girls if you knew how to score."

Which, I really don't, , thought Soo-Yeon menacingly. How could they expect her to perform when they saw her struggle on the field? Did these girls want to watch the world crash and burn?

"...just keep blocking Yoo-Na over there and we'll be fine," said their team captain Hanna, "If all else fails, try to aim a three pointer."

"That's likely," Soo-Yeon retorted a little too loudly, causing her teammates to glare at her. She shrunk to her position once again.

The whistle blew. The first six players of each team proceeded to the court with Soo-Yeon lagging behind, dreading her future. It didn't help that a bunch of boys from the other sections decided to watch them today. As if seeing her Physical Education teacher scowl at her wasn't enough.

 

She took her position and the game began.

 

Several ball passes later, the disgruntled 13-year old found herself sort of running for her life as an opponent spotted her claim of the ball. Out of fear, Soo-Yeon clumsily passed the ball to a surprised Si Eun. This move caused members of the opposing team to run after Si Eun, which was a pitiful sight, considering that most of the other girls were taller.

She could hear the ridiculous laughter of the boys from the stands. Some of them were guffawing as they pointed fingers, making fun of them.

"...her broad shoulders ain't doing much for her shooting, huh?"

"...skinny her legs are! Those are definitely not bringing her anywhere."

"....look at them play a bunch of whiny girls!"

 

Cause we are a bunch of whiny girls, jerk, thought Soo-Yeon, resenting the boys. She turned to glare at these immature imbeciles she had to put up with. They were some of section 1-B's boys, most of them with stupid smiles on their faces, except for the one clutching his guitar.

"Soo-Yeon, heads up!"

Just in time, Soo-Yeon caught the ball. She froze for a moment, unsure of what to do next. One of the boys from the stands shouted.

 

"Run! RUN!”

 

Seeing the other team coming after her, she heeded the boy's advice. Without thinking, Soo-Yeon sprinted to her court, clumsily dribbling to avoid penalties. Class 1-C's Yoo Na appeared out of nowhere, hands outstretched and very much determined to beat her down.

Aisht, where do I go? Where do I go?

She saw an opening to the left. It was her sole window of opportunity; she'd either risk winning or risk getting trapped. Either way, she was doomed.

Ahhhh...F-off.

Soo-Yeon sprinted to the left, ball in hand. She was determined to make the most out of the opportunity—

 

Until she slipped and fell flat on her face.

 

The impact of her fall sent waves of unbearable pain that she did not hear the whistle, the cries, or even the sudden laughter from the stands. She was glued to the floor, pretty sure that she was in agony. The taste of blood invaded her lips, a sign that she was definitely hurt.

 

"Are you okay?"

 

A set of soft yet sturdy hands held her shoulder, trying to gently pull her up.

Let me stay here and wallow in pain.

"C'mon try to get up," the voice commanded.

Despite her want to rebel, Soo-Yeon slowly forced herself to at least sit up. The mere act of pulling herself the tiniest bit of energy left but the hands holding insisted. Once she straightened, she turned around and found herself face to face with an angel.

 

At least, that's what he looked like.

 

The boy with the guitar had the roundest almond-shaped eyes she had ever seen. His plump lips were unintentionally pouting at her. His bangs covered what she assumed was a smooth forehead. He looked at her intently, which immediately the breath out of her.

 

"Hey?"

 

His deep voice snapped her back to reality. Soo-Yeon did not realize that she was staring at him like an idiot. Her body was entirely rigid as she felt the warmth of his hands firmly holding her shoulders. Majority of her teammates and classmates surrounded her, but Soo-Yeon could only focus on the boy in front of her.

"Are you all right?" he asked.

Say something, you idiot! her brain screamed.

He was still staring at her.

"Your face is bruised," he noted, placing a hand on her cheek, "Don't worry, we'll bring you to the clinic."

His hand felt so pleasant against the skin of her face. The sensation distracted her from the stinging pain in her leg.

People came to assist and the baby-faced angel let her go and took a step back. As more people came forward, Soo-Yeon found her eyes following this boy as he vanished behind the crowd. Amidst the questions of how she was or if there was anything broken, she said nothing.

 

She was rendered speechless by that baby-faced angel with beautiful eyes and heart-shaped lips.