See You Soon

Always

[Momo's POV]

The pit in my stomach grows as I walk through the bar. All around me are flashing lights, drunk rich people, and women trying to earn a quick buck. The smell of booze fills the place and I can feel the bass thudding through my body.

I have to walk all the way to the back to finally see the person I’ve come here to meet.

“Here!” shouts Hyoyeon and waves me over. She’s surrounded by women and men as she takes a shot. “What brings you here?” she asks me once I sit down.

I look at her and try not to grimace as she s the woman sitting beside her. The woman doesn’t seem to mind and just giggles.

“I need some money.”

“How much?” She pours me a shot and I wave her off.

“I need thirty thousand.”

A woman sits beside me and tries to snuggle up, but I push her away. I feel uncomfortable here, but this is the only place Hyoyeon was willing to meet me.

“By when?”

“As soon as possible.”

She scoffs at me. “Life really is full of surprises.” She kisses the girl and then turns to smile at me. “I remember when I used to be asking you for money.”

Hyoyeon just glares at me and I nod. It seems that she’s not willing to help, so I get up to leave.

“There is one chance,” she says to my back. “How desperate are you?”

I turn and look at her. If any emotion was being shown in my eyes, it was pure desperation.

I return home from work and am instantly greeted by a warm hug. It’s still hard for me to look and be around Mina, but at least I can help her now. It makes it a bit easier.

I guide her to the couch and sit her down. “Let’s get the operation,” I start.

“Huh?”

“You knew already didn’t you? Why didn’t you tell me?”

She turns away from me and fiddles with her hands. “We can’t afford it.”

“Don’t worry. I’ve saved up for a while now,” I lie.

“I like the way we are now. Having you beside me…” she turns and puts a hand on my cheek. “It makes me happier than I’ve ever been.”

“It’s now or never Mina,” I tell her seriously.

She hesitates and then lets out a sigh. “Whenever I think of that day and what happened to my parents… I feel so guilty and it hurts so much. Sometimes I feel that I don’t deserve to live. That it should have been me not walking away from that crash. I guess being blind just makes me feel better at times.”

My heart hurts at hearing her say these things. I grip her shoulders and turn her towards me. “Don’t you want to see me?! See Maru? See the world again? Do you really think that this is what your parents would have wanted? For you to suffer and just accept it. Pain is inevitable, but suffering is optional.”

She lifts her head and it looks as if something clicks for her. She nods slowly and bites her bottom lip.

“You're right,” she says quietly.

 

 

-////-

 

 

It’s dark in the high end bar and I follow a man in a three piece suit. His hair’s slicked back and he smells of money.

“Married?” he asks as I follow him.

“No sir.”

“Boyfriend?”

“Girlfriend,” I correct him.

He stops in his tracks and turns on his heels. He looks me up and down and speaks. “This can be very dangerous. Are you okay with that?”

“I am.”

Three large bundles of money are slapped onto the table. My eyes widen at how nonchalant he is even when dealing with so much money.

“Thirty thousand for advance. A phone as well.” The man slides the money towards me. “This is nothing but an ordinary fight. It’s just that when the Thai police find out, it’s gets a bit complicated,” he explains as he motions towards the phone. “Nobody can help you if you get caught. Understand?”

I nod my head and glance over at Hyoyeon who is smirking.

“Your family and loved ones can get hurt. So make sure that nobody can track you.”

I nod again.

 

 

-////-

 

 

I rush through the apartment and shove everything of mine into a trash bag; my identifying papers and any photos of myself. I take my clothes, my bathroom supplies, everything.

Just before I leave, I kneel down and pet Maru's head. “You take care of her boy.”

I went to the river, and dumped all my stuff on the ground, as I lit the match and throw it on my stuff, I watch the flames flicker into the night sky as my belongings burn. I’m not Momo anymore. I am no one.

 

 

-////-

 

 

“Are you crazy?!” Wooyoung's arms are crossed as he yells at me. I try to ignore him and put my boxing equipment into my duffle bag. “I told you not to make any deals with Hyoyeon! Do you even know what you’ve gotten yourself into?!”

“It’s just one fight,” I say as I slam my locker shut.

“We finally made it to the official league after all the hard work and time! Is this for her?”

I stop walking. “If something happens the money is to be wired to you. Please make sure she gets it.” I pat him on the back and go to leave.

“What if something happens to you? This is your only life.”

“I won’t regret it.” It’s her only life too, I want to say back to him.

 

 

-////-

 

 

I sit beside Mina's bed in the hospital and clutch her hand.

“You’re right,” she says.

“About what?”

“I want to see the sunset with you. I want to see Maru. I want to see our home. I want to see the river. And…”

I smile at her. “And?”

“I’ll lie on our bed and see your face only. For twenty-three hours I’ll only see you. And one for my own face of course.” She lifts a hand and runs it over my face. “What if you’re a lot uglier than I think.” She smiles and laughs at her own joke.

“I guess you better prepare yourself then. I look really bad,” I joke. “You probably won’t even recognize me.”

“Never,” she states confidently.

“Get some rest. You have a long day ahead of you.”

A nurse and I guide her to the operation area and we stop just before entering.

She runs a soft hand over my cheek and stands close. “See you soon,” she whispers to me.

I swallow the lump in my throat and nod. “See you.”

She leans in and we kiss for a split second. “I love you,” she says to me and my heart hurts.

You’d think that hearing those words would bring comfort to me, but they don't.

“I love you too. Always.”

She smiles and drops her hand. I watch the nurse guide her into the room and tears flow down my cheeks.

She turns to look at me before the nurse closes the door. “You’ll be waiting for me right?”

“I’ve got no place to go other than be with you,” I lie.

“See you soon,” she says, her voice full of hope.

I clench my fists tightly and finally leave.


A/N: I'm not crying....