Who are you?

Always

Summary: Momo's life has never been easy, but she's trying.

[Momo's POV]

I watch as the city speeds by through the window of the truck. The crackle of the radio and oldies fill the car with simple melodies. The clicking of the blinker accompanies the music and Jackson slows the truck at the side of the street. Cars whiz by as I ease myself from the passenger seat onto the sidewalk. I hear the two doors slam shut, my own and Bolin’s. The large man hops into the back of the truck and passes me jug after jug of purified water.

“We’re done after this delivery,” he says as he hands me the last one.

I just nod and place the jugs into the cart. A thudding noise comes from behind me as Jackson jumps from the back of the truck. I pay no real mind to him as I push the cart into the towering building. People in nice suits and dresses pass me as I make my way to the elevator. In no time, I make it to one of the top floors and push the cart into the hallway. I grasp a jug and heave it onto my shoulder. I quickly remove the empty one from the dispenser and replace it with the new one. No one working pays me any attention as I run back to the cart and into the elevator again.

I do this three more times until I’ve replaced the old jugs with new.

“Nice work Momo!” shouts Jackson from the truck as I throw the empty jugs into the back of the delivery truck. “Here’s your pay for today.” He’s holding out a couple of bills and I gladly take them with a nod of my head. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Yeah.” I say before flipping my hood onto my head. I sigh knowing that I need to get to my next job and don’t have much time. I break into a fast pace as I run down the sidewalk past all of the nine to five workers who are getting out late.

By the time I get closer to the parking garage, the sun has gone down and the moon has risen. The city lights flood around me and headlights flash by. I weave my way through traffic, still running and finally arrive at my destination.

The old man is already waiting for me outside of the booth when I arrive. He’s got his hands folded behind his back and is slightly hunched from old age.

“You ran again?” he greets. “It’s raining though.”

“Yes,” I pant. “I heard today is your last day.”

“It is. Now don’t work too hard. Just keep the till balanced and you’ll do fine.”

I nod as he turns away with a wave. He meanders away towards the rest of the open city.

“So long,” I say.

“Bye,” he says without even a glance back.

“Take care.”

“I will,” he hums as his umbrella pops open, shielding him from the rain.

I make my way to the little booth and unlock it. It smells like air fresheners and the surroundings are cluttered. There are a couple of plants and four monitors of security footage. On the small counter is an old tv. It’s so old that lines of static sometimes spread over the screen and a buzz comes from the speakers.

The job isn’t too bad, although I wasn’t used to this shift. I had covered for the old man before, but usually I had done day shifts. Now that he was retiring, I ended up taking his shifts. Not many people wanted to work in a smelly parking garage from seven to two in the morning. I wasn’t one of them though. Money was money to be truthful.

I spend the majority of the night watching boxing recaps and wait for the real match to begin. I’m only interrupted a few times with cars leaving, but it’s not difficult. I take their card, tell them what they owe, accept the money, and open the gate. It’s simple enough really.

I turn down the volume as the fight comes to a close.

“Park Chaeyoung AKA Rose from YG Gym adds another win under her belt,” comes one announcer’s voice from the television.

“Ahh she really proved herself tonight. Yue stood no chance against that strong punch of hers,” added the other announcer.

I lean forward closer to the screen. I watch as Rose raises her arms in victory and shouts towards her fans. I glance down at my clasped hands and then back at the screen.

Suddenly the sound of the booth door opening brings me away from my thoughts. My head snaps up as I watch a woman randomly take a seat beside me.

“I’m not late, right?” she asks me. I don’t know what to say, so I say nothing. She extends her hand and I put out mine. “Sweet jelly and tangerines for you,” she states as she puts the food into my hands. “And this is for me,” she says with a smile as she shakes the melon milk carton. She then places it down next to the television and pulls another thing out of her bag. “And your favorite… ugly rolls!”

I take the container not knowing what to do or say. Why was this girl treating me like she had known me all her life? Why was she here giving me food and snacks?

She leans forward and puts her hand up as if she’s about to tell me a secret, but something’s off. She’s not really looking at me. It’s as if she’s looking past me at something interesting out the window. “I even brought soju,” she whispers with a smirk.

I lean my head to the side towards where she’s looking, but her eyes don’t move and she doesn’t react.

“I can see you’re really impressed,” she says in a teasing tone.

“Who are you?” I finally say.

She gasps and her eyes widen. hangs open a bit and she leans away from me. “Who are you? Where’s ahjussi?” she asks, panic filling her voice.

“He quit,” I say matter of factly.

“Then why did you take them?” she asks, her voice more even now.

I hold up the sweet jelly, tangerines, and container.

“You gave them to me.”

She smiles awkwardly and begins explaining herself. “I used to watch tv shows with him while eating snacks.” She takes the container and the rest of the food from my hands. She shoves them back into her bag. “Is he sick?” she asks with concern.

“I don’t think so. I think someone said he’s moving to another city.”

“Oh that’s good.” She politely bows a bit and runs a hand through her hair. “I’m sorry for interrupting.” I nod my head back and sigh when I realize she doesn’t even know if I bow or not. She stands and leaves the booth without another word.

I watch as she walks away and snaps her folding cane to full length. She taps the ground a couple of times and walks out into the ran. She then steps back quickly under the protection of the overhanging of the garage and flips her hood up. I thought that she’d leave after that, but instead she stood there, listening to the rain.

I ease up from my seat and leave the booth. I shuffle my way over to her and speak. “Excuse me. You can stay to watch the show if you’d like to. It’s pouring out anyways.”

I don’t wait for her to answer. I just gaze out at the pouring rain and then shove my hands into my jean pockets. I return to the booth and lean back in the seat.

A minute later the girl sits beside me again. At least we’re not complete strangers this time around. I mean we still don’t know one another, but we’ve at least said a couple words to each other.

“Do you know what channel the show's on?” I ask her after she’s settled down. The food now back on the counter next to the television.

“I don’t.”

“Okay.” I start at a low channel and slowly work my way up. I wait for her to listen to a bit of the dialogue and then continue to go up when she shakes her head.

“Oh! This one.” She perks up instantly and leans forward. Her eyes are glued to the screen even though she can’t see it.

I lean back in my seat and watch the show, but soon my eyes fall on the girl beside me. It’s the first time I get a really good look at her. Her pale hands are clasped together and she’s leaning forward with her elbows resting on her knees. Her skin is pale and everything about her body has a delicateness about it. Her fingers are slender and her wrists are slim. To be truthful she looks fragile to me. She looks like she has no muscle at all, just skin and bones.

But she’s also absolutely stunning. She somehow has makeup on, maybe she has someone do it for her in the morning or something. Because it’s flawless. Red adorns her lips while she wears pale black eyeliner. You’d think that it would be godly or too extravagant or something, but it’s not on her. Although it’s not a usual color, it still looks natural on her and suits her. The color also brings out her brown eyes. Although she can’t see, her  eyes still seem to sparkle in the dim light of the booth.

As I look at her she just becomes more beautiful. My eyes travel over her defined jaw and her slender neck. Over her shoulders falls wave after wave of dark brunette hair that curl perfectly and frame her face. I’ve never looked at someone so closely and so blatantly before in my life. And it’s somewhat embarrassing, but I continue.

She’s wearing a comfortable looking red sweater with a hood and blue jeans. Black sneakers adorn her feet, while a tan trench coat rests on the back of her chair. My gaze returns to her face and I continue to look over her features. Slowly I begin to burn them into my memory because she’s easily the most beautiful girl I have ever seen in my life.

She smiles as she watches the show and an airy laugh comes from her lips. I glance towards the television and back to her. Her perfect eyebrows twitch a bit and her smile leaves her as a more serious scene unfolds.

Suddenly she turns her head towards me and looks at me. Or well… I mean pays attention to me. I’m not totally sure how to explain it, but yeah. Her face is facing mine now. Even though I know she can’t see me, I look away. My eyes trail over the clutter in the booth, not knowing what to do.

Eventually the show comes to an end and the woman stands. “Thanks for letting my stay,” she says warmly. She reaches into her bag and pulls out the container from before. “These taste better than they look.” She hands the container to me and I hesitate a bit before taking them. Our fingers graze slightly as I take them and I nod my head thanks. She turns to leave, but then turns abruptly. “You see that night jasmine? Remember to water that once a week.” She raises a slender finger and points it at me. “It’s very important,” she says seriously. She nods with a smile and leaves the booth.

I glance at the plant and then at the svelte figure walking away. I don’t really know what to do. I feel like I need to help her home, but then again she seems confident and capable. I let her go without any help. At least the rain has stopped now.

After a couple of hours my shift finally comes to a close. I turn off the lights to the booth and lock it up before beginning my run home.

Once I get home, I take a steaming hot shower and get changed for bed. I spot the little container that the girl from earlier had given me and sigh. I snap the lid off of the container and look at the messy rice balls. I pop one into my mouth and smile instantly. She was right when she said that they taste much better than they look. I quickly pop the rest of them into my mouth and rub my stomach happily. I couldn’t even tell you the last time I’d had something homecooked.

I go to the sink and wash out the container, mentally telling myself that I can’t forget it when I go to work. Hopefully the woman would come back to watch the show again and I could return it to her.

I walk across the small apartment and grab the little container of dried food. I sprinkle a bit into the small tank housing a small turtle. “Eat well,” I whisper to the little fella.

I ease my tired body onto my bed and finally get some rest after a long day of work.


A/N: AH! so that was the first chapter! what you guys think?