Always

Always

[Momo's POV]

Thank god she can’t see, I think to myself. If anyone were really paying attention to me, they’d think I were a stalker. But I’m not following her for bad reasons. I mean right? I just want to make sure she’s safe. I want to make sure that that guy doesn’t return.

Overtime I see her bruises heal from afar and I make sure that she gets to wherever she needs to safely. Eventually more and more time passes and I stop doing this. I start working and working and working. I save up more and more money and even get enough to buy a used car. It’s not anything special, but at least I don’t have to run everywhere anymore.

 

 

 

-///-

 

 

I pull up to my reserved spot in the parking garage and park it. I shuffle my way towards the booth and my heart skips a beat. Standing next to the booth near the gate is Mina. I try to reign in my emotions, trying not to build up my hopes.

“When did you come?” I ask her once I reach her.

“A while ago.” All of her bruises are gone, but she looks tired and pale. She wears no makeup and her body looks even thinner. “I quit. I feel so cramped inside. Will you take me out this weekend?”

I can’t help but smile. I forget to answer and just stare at her. She smiles weakly at me and it’s the most beautiful thing in the world.

“Why aren’t you answering? You said you’d take care of me. So this is the least you could do… Right?”

I nod my head even though I know she can’t see me. “Yes. I will.”

She smiles, but this time it’s real.

 

 

-///-

 

 

I knock on her door letting her know that I’m here. My heart is light and butterflies fill my stomach as I hold the gift for her in my hands. I look at all the flowers blooming from the trees around her apartment and something about it makes me happier.

I hear the door open behind me and I turn back around. She’s even more stunning than usual today, or maybe it’s just because I’m falling for her more and more. She pushes a strand of hair back behind her ear and smiles at me. Her makeup is done like usual, but her hair is slightly different. It’s half down and half up, which helps keep the hair from falling over her face. She’s wearing a cute white blouse and a brown cardigan over that. Light jeans and cute little flats complete her outfit. I really do wonder how she seems to pull off such amazing looks without being able to see. But then again everything about this girl amazes me.

“Take this,” I say as I hold out the little fluffball.

She looks surprised, but takes the puppy into her arms.

“What’s this?” Her surprise is now replaced with a huge smile.

“He'll keep you company. I’ll get him training and he’ll be your eye dog when he gets older.”

“What kind of dog is he?”

“He's a Shiba Inu”

“Oh my god.” Mina holds the puppy closer and lets the dog her nose. “Does he have a name yet?”

“No, but how about Maru?”

“Maru? I like it.” Mina snuggles even more with the dog. I smile at the cute scene in front of me and begin to pet Maru's head.

 

 

 

-///-

 

 

 

“Momo.”

“Hmm,” I hum.

“Can you hold Maru?”

Without another word I take Maru from Mina's arms and feel Mina hug my arm. We walk like this through the tall grass and towards the riverbank.

“I grew up in the orphanage across this river,” I start. “We swam and fished here.”

I reach the large branch that had washed up near the river and guide Mina do sit. I then place Maru  

down and watch as he bounds in the long grass. The river flows and the sun shines overhead.

“The orphanage is now flooded,” I say looking across the river. “The only place I really remember is now underwater.”

“Momo… Get a pebble for me.”

I look at her with a weird expression, but she seems serious. So I go through the pebbles on the ground and pick one up. She does the same, but I’m still not sure why.

I place the rough and misshapen pebble into her hand and close it around it. She then holds up the pebble that she’s picked.

“This pebble feels like you,” she says after feeling the pebble I had given her. “I’ll always carry it to remind me of you.” Mina places the pebble she had picked up and puts it into my hand. “You have to always carry this one, thinking of me.”

Without warning Mina slips her hand into mine. My gaze leaves the pebble she has given me and I look at her with the most appreciative look I possibly can muster. She’s smiling too and the light breeze blows her hair.

“You’re so warm,” she says lovingly.

I squeeze her hand tighter and watch the river flow past us.