Vulnerabilities

Always

[Mina's POV]

I hear the door click locked and grasp the railing of the stairs. “One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve,” I count in my head. I snap my folding cane open and tap the ground as I begin my way to work. I don’t mean to, but I smile to myself. It had been a week since I had met the quiet girl at the parking garage and I’d be returning tonight to watch the show again. And to also get my container. And to maybe just hear that person’s voice again.

The journey to work is easy and fairly straight forward. After a couple of years doing this, I knew the walk like the back of my hand.

 

 

-

 

 

“There can be extra charges for the visit, sir.”

“I’ve been waiting for ing hours! And you only talk about these damn charges!” I flinch slightly at the man’s anger.

“Sorry for the inconvenience. There must have been a mistake. I’ll put you through to speed services.”

I run my fingers across the braille to find the right place to send him. I type furiously and then find a time that is open. “How does five tonight work for you?” I ask politely.

“You’d better be right this time! I made tons of calls for this !” The man shouts before hanging up.

I let out a groan and lean back into my seat. I understand that I work at a call center, but does everyone have to be so mean. I mean I’m just doing my job.

Lisa, my colleague begins to complain next to me. “Why does she have to yell at me. It’s not like I’m her kid,” she grumbles.

I’m about to reply, but stop when I hear my boss’s voice. “Be nicer to the customers Lisa,” he reprimands.

My body tenses as I feel a tight grip on my shoulders. “You must be tired from working the night shift.” His voice is too close, I can feel him leaning in towards me.

“I can sleep in, so it’s not bad,” I say, trying to ignore the fact that his hands are now rubbing my shoulders.

“You know you’re the candidate for employee of the month?” he asks in a whispered tone.

“Yes.”

He pats me on the shoulder and then finally lets go. “Keep up the good work Mina.”

I let out a sigh of relief as I hear Mingyu's footsteps getting further and further away. The job really wouldn’t be that bad, but with him here it was hard at times.

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

[Momo's POV]

I hear the shouting of coaches. I hear the smack of gloves hitting pads and bags. I hear the snap of jump ropes against the hard concrete flooring. I hear the breathing and grunting of the men and woman. I hesitate at the door and close my eyes. It had been years since I stepped foot in the gym, but I finally take in a deep breath and push the door open.

I look at the familiar equipment. The weights against the wall. The punching bags hanging from the ceilings. The treadmills and bikes at the back. I see the square rink in the middle with the red roping and pads at the corners. Two familiar faces are watching someone train as I step further into the gym.

Wooyoung yells at the person training and turns back to lean against the ropes. He spots me standing near the entrance and steps off of the ring.

“B-Boss! Look who’s here,” he stutters out.

I tense as I watch Taecyeon turn and look at me. His eyes are hard and he glares at me. Without a word he walks to his office and I follow. Wooyoung comes along as well. As soon as I enter, I shut the door behind me and get onto my knees. I clasp my hands in my lap and hold my head down.

I bow completely and then rise again. “I’m here to apologize. I’m sorry boss,” I say glancing from the floor to Taecyeon to the floor again.

Taecyeon doesn’t look at me. He just sits there expressionless.

“Come on Taecyeon. Take her apology and smile. Will ya?” Wooyoung pushes. “You’re a big man, so get over the past and move on.”

Taecyeon scoffs and slams his hand on the top of his desk. He removes his glasses and glares at Wooyoung. “Past? I couldn’t even feed my own children properly as I gave everything to her!” he shouts.

“Okay!” shouts Wooyoung back.

“ it all to hell.” Taecyeon stands up and storms from the office.

I don’t move from the spot on the ground. Taecyeon's right. I messed up.

“Let me introduce you to some of the new fighters,” he says. I don’t have the heart to tell him I want to leave, so I follow him.

“Attention everyone! Look who’s here!” shouts Wooyoung. “This here is Hirai Momo. National champion and went undefeated. Each win won with KOs with just a few punches.”

“And I got beat up by her at the final,” interrupted a harsh voice. I turn to see Rose slipping between the ropes and onto the floor. She struts towards me and the rest of the fighters full of confidence. “It’s been a while,” she says staring at me.

“Rightttt, I forgot that,” mutters Wooyoung.

I ignore his words and continue to stare at Rose.

Wooyoung laughs and stands between us. “She’s not the same person who blew you away Rose. Remember that. Rose's now the best mixed martial arts fighter.” Wooyoung did a one-two and looked at Rose. “She’ll make it to the UFC in no time.”

“I saw your fight on tv. You were good.”

“What? Just good?” Rose scoffs. I step back a bit as she shoves gloves into my chest. I grasp them tightly. “How about sparring for old time’s sake?” she challenges.

“No thanks.” I hand the gloves to Wooyoung and begin to leave.

“Why don’t you suit up? Just one round.” Taecyeon says from the corner of the gym.

“I’m sorry,” I mumble once more as I look at the ground.

Taecyeon glares straight at me and grunts. “Who let this fool into my gym? She’s not even a fighter. Get out now!”

I bow once more. “Sorry.” I keep my head low as I leave the gym that I once called home.

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

“Do you mind opening the door?” I glance over at the girl sitting next to me. Without a word I open the door of the booth and cross my arms over my chest. “Sorry. I’m sensitive to smell.” She takes in a deep breath and then opens the window of the booth. “I guess you worked out,” she says in a sweet tone.

I glance down at my old tattered shoes and slip my feet back into them.

“What kind of clothing?” She asks me while I lean back into the chair again. I look down at myself.

“Just a plain t-shirt and hoodie.”

“Not you. I mean the actor on TV.” I glance at the girl who’s sitting with her head resting on one hand and then back to the television.

“A dress,” I say simply.

“And shoes?”

“Yes.”

“Of course yes. I mean what kind of shoes is she wearing.”

“Oh. Uh flats.”

“And hair?”

I furrow my brow and look at her. “Short perm I guess.”

“Earrings?”

I stare at her. “Hey, why do you speak so much over the show?” I ask curiously.

“Cause I can’t see it,” she says as if it’s the most obvious answer in the world. Which it kind of is. “What kind of earrings?” she asks again.

I look at her and the earrings she’s wearing. They don’t actually look like the woman's on the television, but I don’t really care. “Like yours,” I lie.

Instantly the girl seems happier and even more lively. She grips her earrings and smiles. “Really? You mean it?” She lets out a little giggle.

“Yeah.”

We sit there in silence for the rest of the show. She’s fully immersed in it, but I mainly just watch her. I watch as her face reacts to each scene and how her eyebrows twitch or her lips curl. I watch how her nostrils might flare or her jaw tighten. Every little detail to be truthful.

Soon she stands and slips on her yellow rain jacket. She prepares to leave, but I stand and stop her. “Your container,” I say as I hold it out to her.

“Were they good?” she asks me.

“Way better than they looked,” I tell her honestly.

She beams at me and giggles a bit. She holds out her hand and I place the container in it. “Oh.”

“I put some peaches in there for you.”

She shakes the container gently near her ear. “Did you wash them?” she asks.

“Yes.” Aren’t you supposed to wash everything before you eat them?

“Did you treat them gently.”

“Uh yes. Why?”

“You need to eat a peach right after washing carefully. They get bruises and less sweet the more they’re touched,” she nicely explains to me. “Well thank you. Oh, by the way. My name’s Mina.” Her hand juts out towards me as she says her name. I stare at her hand, but don’t make a move to take it. “You’re supposed to shake hands when you meet someone.”

I stare at her, but decide to gently take her hand into mine. It almost surprises me seeing her pale skin against my skin. Her hand is ridiculously soft and smooth. It makes me wonder how soft the rest of her is.

“Wow.” She smiles with a bit of awe in her expression. “You have so many callouses. What do you do?”

A take my hand away from hers and bury it into my pocket. I shuffle in the spot that I’m standing and look at the ground. I don’t mean to be awkward and silent with her, but I don’t know what to say.

“Thanks for letting me stay and watch the show again.”

I nod my head and open the gate so that it will be easier for her to leave. I watch as her yellow rain jacket gets smaller as the distance between us grows.

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

I sit in the booth waiting for Mina. It’s the night of the show again and I can’t help but be excited to see the woman again. The first time we met, I realized that she was beautiful, but know I know that she’s also a genuinely good person. I don’t know why she’s willing to come back, but she is. It’s not like I’m a good person… I’m far from being like her.

As I wait I sniff the booth and it seems less stinky, but something makes me want to open the window, so I do. I organize the clutter a bit and water the plant. I even try shaking the dust from my hoodie before placing it back on myself. If she’s willing to spend time with me, then I’m going to at least try and make it comfortable.

I close my eyes and lean back in my seat. I don’t know if I doze off or not or how long it is that I wait, but soon enough I hear the light tapping of her cane. I don’t hear her footsteps because she’s light on her feet, but I hear the tapping of the cane getting closer and closer. Even with my eyes closed I can visualize her. I can see her soft features. I can smell her fresh scent, a combination of jasmine and something citrusy. I’m not really sure what kind of perfume she wears, but I like it.

The tapping of her cane stops and I hear shuffling as she takes the seat beside me. I finally open my eyes and take a look at her.

“You got new shoes!” she says with surprise.

I furrow my brow and scuff my feet against the ground.

“I can smell them,” she explains.

“It’s already been a few days,” I mutter quietly. I didn’t think she’d be able to smell new shoes so easily, especially if I’d been wearing them for the past couple of days.

“Uh the show will start soon. I’ll be back in a second.” I stand to leave and intend to shuffle by her, but she also begins to stand. I think she was going to move so that I could get out more easily, but instead I just bump into her. I grab her without thinking and ease her back into her seat. I quickly scoot my over the counter. “Sorry,” I say as I walk away quickly, my heart racing from the simple touch.

I don’t look back as I rush to the bathroom. When I get there I slap some water on my face and try to figure out why my heart won’t slow. Why my breath catches every time I’m near this woman. This is all new to me.

After a bit I return to the booth and shuffle by her again, this time not bumping into her. The show has already been playing for about ten minutes, but I don’t really mind. To be truthful I don’t remember what has happened that much. My focus hasn’t been on the show, but on her. On Mina.

The show nears the end and the main character says that she’s leaving. I hear Mina sniffle beside me. “She doesn’t have to go,” she says quietly. “If it hurts her so badly, she should stay." I hear her sigh before speaking again. "Sometimes I feel like I can understand someone’s heart better. I can hear it, the way it beats, the way it will slow or speed up at times. Being blind allows me to feel more because I can’t see.”

I watch as she pulls her hair back and puts it into a ponytail behind of her head. A few strands fall away to frame her face.

“Beautiful?” she asks.

I look at her and nod, but I know that she’s not asking about herself. “Of course. She’s an actress,” I say bluntly. I bring the carton of milk to my lips and begin drinking.

“I mean you,” she says and I pause with the milk carton still at my lips. I look at her quickly and then look away. I lower the milk carton and look at the label. “Don’t bluff just because I can’t see.”

“I don’t know. I guess people say I’m handsome at times.”

“Ah, so you’re not stereotypically feminine then.”

She’s right. I’m muscular for a woman. Average height and I just trim my hair short on shoulder length. I don’t dress feminine, usually just in t-shirts, hoodies, and jeans. To be truthful nothing about me is feminine.

I end up just nodding and I actually want to tell her that she’s beautiful, but hold back. I don’t want her to feel uncomfortable around me, so I keep my tongue tied.

As usual we say our goodbyes and I watch her begin her walk home. My attention is drawn away when a car honks and I take their payment and open the gate. As they speed away I notice they don’t care about Mina who is still walking out of the garage area. The car honks as they pass the girl and she stumbles away from the speeding car in surprise.

I hop up from my seat and rush out of the booth. All around her is broken glass from a case of beer that she knocked over in surprise. I’m too late though. She places her hand right onto the glass and yelps in surprise. I’m by her side now.

“Don’t move anymore!” I say as I grab her arm. I help her stand and she groans in pain from the cut on her hand. I guide her to a bench nearby and take her hand in mine.

“Aish! They’re all shattered!” shouts a delivery man. “What am I supposed to do with them now? I left them there for a moment so that I could put them in the store later, but look what you’ve done!”

“I’ll pay for them,” Mina says hastily. “I’m sorry.”

I see the man realize that she is blind. “Yah! Why are you even out at night when you can’t see?”

“I’m sorry,” she says again.

I leave her side and walk up to the man. “I’ll pay for them and if you’re willing to watch the garage I’ll pay you too. I need to get her to the hospital,” I say quietly.

“How much,” he asks.

I take out all of the money from my pocket and hand it to him. “All of that,” I say.

His eyes widen. “No problem. Go ahead.”

 

 

 

-

 

 

“How much did you pay him?” she asks me as we sit in the subway car.

“You knew?” I ask with surprise.

“I heard the rustling of the money.”

“Not much,” I lie. I had actually given him a hundred dollars. Much more than he actually needed or deserved, but I kind of panicked when I saw her get hurt. It’s funny because I don’t even feel like I got robbed giving him that much money. I’d be willing to pay much more knowing that Mina was safe and happy.

“Okay.”

I look at the ground as the car bounces slightly. We’re the only ones on it because of the late hour and it’s eerily silent except for the movement of the car against the tracks.

“What’s your name?” Mina bursts out.

My gaze leaves the ground and I look at her. “Momo,” I say too quietly.

“Huh?”

“Momo,” I repeat.

“Momo,” she says back to me. “That’s a nice name.”

I feel my stomach flutter as she holds my arm as I guide her. Her other hand is wrapped due to the multiple stitches she needed tonight. The contact is platonic, but I still enjoy it.

“Okay. We’re at the forked road. There’s a beauty shop at the right,” I describe to Momo.

“Straight to the right then.”

I turn to see two flights of stairs painted with flowers and other designs on them. I guide her to the first step and we begin our slow ascent. It takes us about five more minutes of walking to finally make it to her place. I walk her up the stairs and to her door and then lean against the railing.

“We’re here.”

“Thanks Momo.” I watch as she pulls her keys from her purse and unlocks the door. “Oh. Can I ask a favor of you if you have time?”

“Uh sure.” I hesitantly follow her into her house. I follow her to the back and she shows me a small room. She says that it’s where she does laundry and cleans stuff. But somehow it flooded and she needed help to fix it.

“There’s a drain on the floor somewhere, but I can’t find it,” she explains.

“Okay.”

I slip off my sneakers and socks. I then roll up my pants and begin searching for the drain with my hands. It doesn’t take me long to find the drain and pull up the cloth that was blocking it. I stand up and squeeze the water from the items and hold them up to the light. My breath catches in my throat as I hold up a pair of black and a pair of purple ones.

“Uh here,” I hand them to her.

She feels what’s in her hands and a full blush overtakes her cheeks. “Ah those are where those went.”

She hides the behind her back and hands me a towel to dry my hands and feet with. As I put my shoes on, she leans down beside me.

“What kind of music do you like?” she asks randomly.

“I don’t really listen to music. So just whatever the radio plays.”

She laughs a bit at my answer and suddenly holds out two tickets. “A reward for helping me so much tonight. Go with your friend to a concert and enjoy yourself.”

I take the tickets from her and look down. Day 6, it reads.

“No thanks. I don’t really know music all too well. You don’t have anyone you’d like to go with?”

Mina clicks her tongue a couple times and speaks. “Pity, you don’t have any friends at all.” At first the comment stings, but it’s true. “Want me to go with you?” she asks and suddenly I don’t feel as bad.

I look at her with a huge grin on my face and want to shout with happiness. “Sure,” I evenly say instead.

After receiving the tickets I literally sprint home and jump every now and again with giddiness. I guess this was kind of a date. I mean we didn’t say it was a date or anything… but two people going to a concert with one another is pretty damn close to one.


A/N: Hello guys! I decided to update again! because TWICE has won the MCountdown KNOCK KNOCK 1ST WIN YUS! I am so proud of them! Not only that they've won on their 500 Days!! 

Anyways, Thank you guys for reading! Please give this story upvotes and comments and I see you guys in the next chapter laters!