Five.

Of Judgmental Stares, Fake Masks and Tender Hearts

Chapter 5: Where do We End Up?

 

Seungwan loves studying, she really does. She loves everything that can make her broaden her knowledge, but she has to agree that history . No, it’s not that she hates the subject. She loves it (Come to think of it, does she ever has a subject that she hates? She thinks no), but she has the worst teacher ever for history. She wonders how someone could turn the tragic and scary stories of Japan colonialism in Korea into a bedtime story that can lull all the class to sleep.

So here she is, burying her head in books in the library, trying to save herself from getting bad grades in the upcoming history exam because God help her, the teacher did nothing to help her understand history better. In front of her, Taeyong looks like he’s ready to die.

“Honestly, I can not comprehend history. It’s not that Mr. Kim —well, he does —but history itself too.” He complains as he tries, for the third time, reading the third passage in his textbook. Like the first and second attempt, he understands nothing.

“It doesn’t . It’s important. I know people hates history because they think it’s useless to study about things that were already done in the past, but it’s still knowledge and knowledge is important.” Seungwan replies, amused by Taeyong’s antics. She wonders if she’ll ever stop feeling warm each time she looks into his dark eyes, because right now, even though they’re studying arguably the most boring subject and the library chair is not that comfortable, she still feels elated.

Taeyong looks up from his book and stare at her and Seungwan feels her heart skips a beat. “Nothing ever dampens your will to study, huh?” he chuckles. “I know it’s important, but memorizing things is not my forte. I can count stuffs and throw balls but memorizing? That’s no no.”

Seungwan rests her chin on her palm and smiles. “You don’t at memorizing. If you do , how could you memorize your complicated basketball techniques and… I don’t know, strategies?”

The black haired boy laughs quietly, scratching the back of his head—he always does that when he feels embarrassed. “Well, that is different.”

“Both are the same thing.” Seungwan replies and tries to control her laugh when Taeyong gives her an offended look. “No, really! Even though one is boring and the other is super fun, in the end, you still memorize things.”

Taeyong sighs, “I guess you’re right.”

“Listen to me, once you know the tricks, studying is honestly a piece of cake.”

“Yeah, right.” Taeyong grumbles. Of course everything is a piece of cake for Seungwan. She’s one of the many unfair people in this whole world who can sleep through the entire class and when she wakes up, she’s able to solve the most complicated math problems, retell the story of French Revolution perfectly, do rhythmic gymnast, do an impromptu speech about environment in Spanish and plays Beethoven’s Moonlight Sonata in piano and violin.

Seungwan rolls her eyes. “I’m serious. I’m not the superhero you think I am, I study when I have the chance. Look, I’m going to help you ace this exam and let’s have another study session at Jung’s this Thursday, I’ll bring you my flashcards to help you memorize. What do you say?”

Taeyong arches an eyebrow and chuckles when he stares at the bright, enthusiastic smile on Seungwan’s face. He can never say no to Seungwan, he knows this well. “Alright.” He says.

“Great!” Seungwan beams. “I’ll see you on Thursday, then.”

Taeyong chuckles at her enthusiasm. Really, Seungwan is a blessing in his life.

“What?” Seungwan asks because Taeyong is just staring at her and it makes her heart beats a little too faster and louder for her liking.

“Do you remember we used to play on the riverbanks?” Taeyong suddenly asks.

Seungwan blinks. Of course she remembers. She remembers everything she did with Taeyong and there’s no way she’ll ever forget that. Seungwan and Taeyong used to venture the outer parts of the forest—away from their parents’ eyes—and they often play at the riverbanks, splashing the water, swimming, of pretending to set up camp, or playing hide and seek. There are so many memories of them there.

“I remember.” Seungwan says softly.

Taeyong let out a little laugh. “We were so tiny and reckless back then.”

“More like I was scared but you forced me to.” Seungwan replies before breaking into laughter, Taeyong joining her few seconds later.

“Do you remember your slippers got caught in the stream and I swam to get it?” Taeyong asks, remembering Seungwan’s blue Pororo slipper that she wore everywhere she went. That slipper was Seungwan’s most prized treasure.

Seungwan giggles, “Yeah, of course. You were soaking wet to the bone and I was running after you on the riverbanks, I was so scared something would happen to you.” She admits, eyes looking at her fingers because right now, she has so much difficulty looking at Taeyong straight in the eyes.

“Nothing would ever happen to me. I’ve been taking care of you ever since I’m only skin and bone.” Taeyong replies, rolling his eyes.

“And will you continue?” Seungwan asks, her brown eyes shyly looks up at Taeyong, as if pushing her limits, her own boundaries.

Taeyong’s eyes softens as he smiles. “Of course, Wan. That’s what I’ve been doing for years. I’ll always take care of you.”

Seungwan smiles widely. “That’s good to hear.” She says, suddenly feeling awkward and embarrassed but still very much elated.

The boy before her chuckle. “Come on, let’s go home.”

Seungwan nods before putting her belongings back in her bagpack, smiling a little to herself when Taeyong helps her.

“You’re going straight home or what?” he asks.

Seungwan looks up to meet Taeyong’s eyes and she feels dejected. “No,” she mutters. “I’m going to help my mom for a bit.” Mentally cursing her luck, Seungwan forces a smile and hopes her face doesn’t look too disappointed.

Taeyong nods before picking up his backpack. As they exit the library, he opens the door, letting Seungwan out first before him.

“Alright, you be careful, okay?” Taeyong says before parting ways, ruffling Seungwan’s hair affectionately.

Seungwan blushes at the contact and laughs nervously. “Ahahahah, yeah, you too. I mean, be careful on your way, don’t get lost or anything…” she says, tidying up her messy hair.

“I will. See ya, Wan.” Taeyong says then turning his back to the other side of the school.

Seungwan watches until Taeyong disappears from her sight before breaking down into a puddle of goo. The brunette screams and laughs as she skips happily across the empty school halls, nearly tripping on her own feet but who cares? Taeyong is the cutest little puppy ever today and she will memorize this day until she rots in her grave.

 

***

 

Taeyong nearly trips over his feet when he hears a faint scream from the other side of the school. He stops and looks back, wondering if something happen to Seungwan. Few seconds later he shrugs, it’s probably the theatre club practicing some new play or something.

He continues making his way towards the school lobby when he walks past the art gallery and someone catches his attention.

In the midst of empty tables, a blonde-haired, fox-eyed girl is sitting alone, scribbling something on her book. Her hair cascades down her back, eyebrows furrowing in concentration and her tongue is out.

He decides to knock on the opened door gently and laughs when Seulgi jumps a little in surprise.

“Lee Taeyong!” She exclaims, smiling at him but he notices she quickly shuts the book.

“What are you doing?” he asks, making his way into the classroom.

Seulgi smiles bashfully. “Just… stuff.” She says. However, her fingers clutches the book almost protectively. Taeyong takes a look at it. The book is medium sized, quite thick and the cover is black colored leather. He guesses it’s a sketchbook.

“Seulgi, do you draw?” Taeyong asks, arching an eyebrow as a smile curves on his lips.

“What?” Seulgi asks, eyes widening innocently. “No, I didn’t… I… uh, this is just some ordinary textbook. Yes! I was just revising for, um… biology.” She rambles on and Taeyong almost laughs in amusement because she honestly at lying but that just makes her ten times more adorable.

“Biology, hm? Sure.” Taeyong teases, leaning on her desk. “Can I look?” he asks softly.

Seulgi blinks before smiling shyly. “I’m not that good.” She says, looking up at Taeyong through her eyelashes, as if trying to reason with him.

The boy arches an eyebrow. “You’re almost like Ten in terms of artwork, boy hardly ever let me see his photographs.” He says, half-laughing. “Please? Just a peek?”

Biting her lower lips, Seulgi finally nods before carefully opening her sketchbook, peeping at it as if picking which artwork she deems ‘safe enough’ to be shown. Taeyong waits patiently.

“Here.” Seulgi says, holding the book out to him and Taeyong takes a look at it.

It’s a sketch of a boy with short, black hair and fox-eyes, almost identical to her. “Is this Wonwoo?” Taeyong asks before carefully examining her drawings. He’s not much of an expert in sketches, but Taeyong can see how each are made meticulously and every shadows are drawn passionately. The lines and edges are soft, the shadings create an almost-real dimensions and the eyes are ‘alive’.

“Yes.”

“This is so beautiful.” Taeyong says. “You’re very good at this, aren’t you? This look so much like Wonwoo.” He says again, smiling at Seulgi. It’s not that her drawing resembles Wonwoo so much, it also has feels in it. Taeyong doesn’t quite know how to explain it but it gives a vibe, an aura that’s just so very Wonwoo.

Seulgi smiles, despite her shyness, her pride still swells at Taeyong’s genuine compliment. “Thank you.” She replies whole-heartedly.

“So you’ve been sketching here?” Taeyong asks, handing the book back to Seulgi. He’s almost tempted to flip through the pages but refrains himself. Something tells him that this sketchbook is very, very personal.

“Yeah, Wonwoo is going to the arcade with Mingyu, Seungcheol and Jeonghan. Seungwan’s studying with you at the library. Johnny and Ten are nowhere to be found so I thought I’d just spend my time here.”

“Huh.” Taeyong murmurs. “Anyways, I’m going to head home now. Do you want to tag along?” He asks, secretly hoping she’d say yes.

His heart makes a small jump when a cheesy grin breaks on Seulgi’s lips and she says, “Yes!”

“Alright.” Taeyong grins and helps as Seulgi puts her belongings back in her bag. He tries not to stare too much at her, or her hair, because with the sunset as their background, its golden light seeping through the windows, the sky is a beautiful gradation of purple, pink and yellow, they also reflect a fusion of colors, artistic hues on Seulgi’s hair.

Seulgi stands up when she’s ready. “Alright.” She repeats. “Let’s go home, Taeyong.”

Taeyong nods, walking side by side with Seulgi as he watches his own shadow stretches far because of the light. “Since when do you draw?” he asks.

“Oh, it’s been… a long time, I think? Maybe since I was in the third grade.” She replies, eyebrows furrowing as she tries to remember. “My mother is the one who taught me how to draw.”

Taeyong smiles, “Your mother must be very good at drawing.”

“Yes, she does. She’s good at many things. Anyway,” Seulgi says, running her fingers through her blonde hair. “I heard from Johnny that you’ve changed so much over the break. What was it like?” she asks mischievously.

Taeyong rolls his eyes. “Of course Johnny would tell you.” He chuckles, remembering the sarcastic older boy. “Well, I was skinny… and ugly.”

Seulgi arches an eyebrow. “My logic still accepts it if you’re skinny. But ugly? I don’t think so.” She says, nudging his arm gently with her elbows.

The boy snorts. “Believe me, I was skinny, ugly and pitiful. Jackson teased me a lot and… I was always rejected on basketball tryouts, not because I , but because I was so skinny people could easily bump me and made me fell during the game. Coach didn’t want me. Until… my uncle asked me to help him with his work, in a construction site and my cousin also took me to hit the gym with him and boom. Changes.”

The girl huffs at his story, shaking his head. “That’s sad.” She says, looking at Taeyong with sympathy. “It’s like they only noticed your worth after you changed your appearance. It’s unfair.”

“I know, right?” Taeyong agrees, kicking a small pebble in front of him and watches as the tiny rock bounces on the concrete sidewalk. “I didn’t complain much, though. I managed to secure my position in the team, so that’s that.”

“And stealing Yeongsan’s ladies’ hearts.” Seulgi adds, waggling her eyebrows mischievously to .

“What? No.” Taeyong replies bashfully, his face burns in embarrassment.

Seulgi chuckles in amusement but then she let out a heavy sigh. “Were you insecure?” she asks.

When their eyes meet, Taeyong feels as if her fox-eyes pierces into his soul, as if trying to see just more than ‘him’, he wonders how one’s eyes can be so sharp and intimidating. “I’m still insecure even until now.” He admits. Taeyong is not proud of it, of his insecurities and his doubts and his fears, but he admits it. Those ugly things, after all, are one of the many things that makes him Taeyong.

The blonde girl stares at him understandingly. “I understand, sometimes insecurities stay with us even though it seems like we already have everything we want in this world.” Seulgi says, closing her eyes as the wind blows gently, her hair sways lazily in the wind.

Taeyong arches an eyebrow. “Does that mean you have insecurities?” he asks.

Seulgi opens her eyes to look at him and for the first time, Taeyong doesn’t see the spark or mirth he used to see in those sharp, fox-eyes. Instead, it lacks of emotions and it intrigues him.

“Of course I have,” Seulgi admits softly. “Lots of it.”

 

***

 

Kim Taeyeon is tired.

She supposes this is what single-parent feels like. Ever since moving to Yeongsan and taking her old job back, she only gets four hours of sleep every day. She always sleep the latest and wakes up the earliest in her house. It’s for the best, Taeyeon knows this well. Wonwoo and Seulgi still have a long way to go and they still need a lot of money, especially for their school.

The woman sighs as she sits on her bed, her body has been aching for the past couple of days due to the lack of sleep, but she’s stronger than this.

Marrying Kang Seokwoo was both a blessing and a mistake. A blessing because she got Wonwoo and Seulgi, her most prized jewel that she would never, ever change for anything else in this world. Mistake because Kang Seokwoo is a demon under sheep’s clothing.

She nearly jumps when she hears her phone rings. Hurriedly, Taeyeon fishes out her phone from her purse. A frown is forming on her forehead when she sees her husband—no, ex-husband—calling her. It’s been a month. What does he want?

It’s 2 A.M. in the morning. He must’ve been drunk.

Her hand shakes as she stares at her still-ringing phone, weighing her choice. Should she pick it up? She should’ve blocked his number when she decided to pack her bags and took Wonwoo and Seulgi out of that house.

Knowing fully well she’ll regret it, Taeyeon picks it up.

“Hello?” she asks, trying to sound strong.

“Do you think I don’t know where you’ve been hiding?” Seokwoo’s voice is cold, menacing and drunk. Instantly, Taeyeon feels a shiver running down her back. She gulps, however she will not let Seokwoo knows she’s afraid.

“You took my children away.”

“It’s better for them.” Taeyeon replies, feeling anger ignites inside her. Biological or not, it disgusts her when Seokwoo calls Seulgi and Wonwoo his children. No, he does not have the right. The woman clutches her phone, fingers gripping until her knuckles are white.

Seokwoo laughs and Taeyeon can almost feel his drunk breath on her neck. “You think you can raise them without me? Without my money? You’re nothing without me, wench. You’re just a woman, you can’t do anything.”

“You’re wrong.” Taeyeon objects, her voice rising an octave higher.

“You’re a weak, stupid and worthless woman and that’s what you’ll always be!” Seokwoo replies, almost shouting into the phone and Taeyeon has to move her phone away from her ears. “You’re going to regret taking Seulgi and Wonwoo away from me. Remember this, wench—“

Before Seokwoo can finish his threat, Taeyeon ends the phone. She doesn’t think when she did that, nor does she care when her phone slips down her fingers and drops onto the bed, sliding onto the floor. She let out the breath she’s been holding and it comes out shaky, her hands are trembling and they’re cold.

Seulgi and Wonwoo. Her precious children. The light of her life.

She doesn’t care what kind of insult or threat Seokwoo will throw at her. Taeyeon will protect her children even if it costs her life. No one will take her children away from her.

 

***

 

Author’s Note:

Ha, for those who have jumped into the tenseul ship, have some taeyong/seulgi or taeyong/wendy and indulge in this multi-ship lololol.
Anyway, whew, that last part is depressing. I’m planning to update one more chapter on Sunday, I think, before this weekend ends. I think I have to squeeze out all of my ideas before my writer’s block comes again or I lose my will to write (let’s hope that doesn’t happen lolz) so I hope it’s okay with you guys with the chains of updates yo.
Anw, have a nice weekend!