Four

Night Girl

Mr. Park handed her a towel as she walked into the Night Cave, still dripping from her dive into the ocean. She flopped down onto the computer chair. A dark feeling of failure overcoming her.

"I can't do it." 

"You managed to make it alive and get passed the Black Swan, you've done just fine for your first day." Mr. Park placed another towel over her shoulders. 

"Yubin would have caught her." Sana spat out, "She wouldn't have let her get away." 

"There is no way of knowing that for sure, Miss Sana." 

Sana sighed and ducked her head, "I can't do this. I'm not strong enough yet." 

Mr. Park was silent as Sana fell into a pit of self pity.

"Miss Sana, did Ms. Yubin ever share with you the story about the first Night Girl..." 

*^*

Sana texted Nayeon to let her know she was okay and would be taking time off from school to avoid press and deal with Yubins disappearance. Mr. Park made sure to call into her school as her emergency guardian. Everyone would understand, her guardian had been kidnapped by the city's most notorious villain. 

Sana rested her head on the window of the train. Mr. Park had somehow agreed to stay behind to deal with Taecyeon and Hyelim, whom she was sure would be coming to check up on her. 

She, however, was on her way to Busan. 

She'd heard stories about the first Night Girl, she'd left shortly before Sana had arrived to Korea and was not much older then her. Yubin had never talked much about her except to say that she had been a strong fighter. Sana never asked, sensing the topic to be touchy. She knew only that they'd parted after a large argument. And although there were no ill feelings, they could never repair the relationship they once had. All contact was cut off as the previous Night Girl moved to Busan and never came back to Seoul.

Mr. Park, however, was certain that she'd be the perfect person to take over the role of Night Woman. 

Sana arrived to Busan just as the sun began to set. 

For safe measures, she hid her face with a mask and wore a cap. Her face had been plastered over the news as they replayed the museum incident on repeat. She was sure to be recognized. 

Jihyo helped her track down where the woman would be. It seemed she worked at the police department as an officer. It made Sana smile, seeing that even though she was no longer fighting crime with a mask, that she still held onto their sense of justice. She was sure Yubin would be proud of her old sidekick.

Arriving at the police department, she walked up to the front desk, asking to see the officer. 

"Momo, someone is here to see you." The front desk woman said into the phone. "She'll be right down, please take a seat Miss." The officer said as they hung up the phone.

Sana nodded and took a seat, nervously fiddling with the end of her sweater.

"Did you call for me?" A nasally voice asked. 

Sana looked up, startled by the sudden voice right in front up her. She hasn't heard her approach, most likely a skill picked up during her time as a sidekick. A lean built woman with fringed brown hair and curious eyes looked down at her.

"Hirai Momo?" Sana asked, standing.

The woman nodded. 

Sana took off her cap and mask and the woman's eyes widened. 

"I'm Minatozaki Sana, I need your help." 

*^*

Sana felt nervous as Momo set a cup of coffee down in front of her and sat across from her. She had the same emotionless gaze Yubin had when she was in Night Woman mode.

"How old are you?" Momo asked, sipping her coffee.

"Seventeen." Sana answered quickly, turning her cup in her hand. 

"That's about how old I was when I left." Momo looked at her wistfully, "How much do you know about me?" 

"Not much." Sana pursued her lips, "She never really talked about you..." 

Momo smirked, "I was a bit of a pain when I was a teenager. And we didn't exactly part on the best terms." She finished with a soft whisper, her nails tapping on her coffee cup.

"I was fourteen when Yubin took me in." Momo said, her eyes softening at the memory, the first sign of emotion Sana had seen yet. "You're Japanese right? I was smuggled here by the Mob syndicate. Yubin saved me but I was an orphan and had no one to go back to. She took me in. Trained me. I'm sure you can relate somewhat to that." 

Sana was surprised at her sudden confession, she had expected her to be cold and closed off like Yubin had been. It had taken Sana months to hear Yubins story.

"For years, I lived with her. She and Mr. Park were my family. But I learned that when it came between me and the city, the city mattered more to her." Momo gazed out to the street, her words bitter and sad. "I wouldn't get too attached to her if I was you." 

"I-I don't know the Yubin you knew. But the Yubin I know cares about me. I know she does." Sana said firmly, "She's my family. I need your help getting her back. I'm inexperienced and I lack in a lot of areas. I tried being Night Woman and I just barely escaped with my life. Please, help me get her back." Sana's words were rushing out of her but she hoped Momo was able to hear her desperation.

Momo continued to look out the window of the small empty dinner they sat in. 

"Please." She pleaded.

Momo sighed, turning to Sana with a soft gaze, "Fine." 

Sana's smile stretched from ear to ear as she was overcome with relief. She wouldn't be alone now. 

She'd have Momo.

*^*

Sana returned to Seoul on her own, Momo would return on her own after arranging leave from work and packing the things she'd need. Their plan was to find Yubin within the next two weeks. 

"Two weeks? Ain't that a bit long?" Sana wondered as Momo began planning.

"The Ringmaster is not one for long stretched out plans. If she's gonna do something, it will be done within the next two weeks. We just have to find her before she does." 

Sana had shown Momo the video on Yubins phone, noting the scowl on her face at the sight of The Ringmaster. She had a lot more run ins with the Ringmaster then Sana had ever had, her experience would be beneficial to them. 

Sana was grateful Momo had agreed. As much as she was progressing, she lacked too much to go head to head with such a strong opponent on her own. Now, the chances of getting Yubin were so much better. 

*^*

"Sana!" 

The wind was knocked out of her as Nayeons amazingly strong arms wrapped around her. 

"Hey guys." Sana greeted the group of girls standing outside the doors with sad smiles.

"How are you?" Jungyeon asked as they walked in, patting her back. 

Sana sighed, "As good as anyone can be I guess, come in." 

She briefly took notice of Mina amongst the the four girls as she lead them to parlor. 

"Mr. Park, can you get us some snacks?" Sana asked as she caught sight of him coming down the hallway. 

He smiled warmly at the girls and nodded, turning on his heels to head to the kitchen. 

"So what's up?" Sana asked as they sat around. 

"We wanted to see how you were." Nayeon stated, "We came by yesterday but Mr. Park said you went out." 

"I needed some air." Sana nodded, "Being hold up in this big empty house was too much." She wrapped her arms around herself for a believable effect. It was true that the estate was iré without Yubin there but she couldn't exactly tell them she had gone to find the previous Night Girl. "Oh, I'm sorry Mina. I don't think we'll be able to meet up this week." 

Mina smiled softly, "I understand, no need to be sorry." 

"Hey, you're doing so much better, I don't think you'll need me much anyways." Sana grinned, knowingly. 

Mina suddenly shook her head, "I might be a little better but I still have so much to learn. I'd appreciate to still have your help." 

Sana's eyes widened, surprised by Mina's sudden change of heart. Before it had seemed like Mina didn't like her very much. She wondered if their time together had softened her up a bit. What ever it was, Sana was happy that there was no longer a bridge between them. "Okay. We'll get back to studying when I come back." 

"How long do you think you'll be out?" Nayeon asked. 

Sana pondered, Mr. Park had only allowed her one week off school but she was planning on asking for two. 

Just on cue, Mr. Park walked in with a cart of snacks, "Miss Sana should be back to school by next week. Ms. Yubin would not tolerate a poor attendance record." 

Sana cringed and nodded. 

Jeongyeon and Chaeyoung were quick to dig into the snacks. "Well, we'll be there with you until she's found. I'm sure Night Woman is working hard on finding her." Nayeon said, reaching for a cookie. 

"Yeah!" Chaeyoung looked up brightly, "Night Woman will find her!" 

Sana sighed, "I hope she does." 

*^*

Sana gasped for air and held her arms out before Momo could hit her with another hit.

Momo had arrived two days after Sana had gone to Busan. She had immediately wanted to spar with Sana too get a feel for her skills. So far the match had been pretty even. Momo was of course more skilled but Sana was proud to have lasted on her feet for so long before she had gotten the upper hand and knocked her down.

Momo reached a hand out for her to take. Sana took it cautiously. "Not bad." Momo commented with a smirk that made Sana's cheeks warm. 

Now that Sana wasn't distracted by getting Momo to come to Seoul, she was able to take notice of how attractive Momo actually was. When they'd met, Momo's hair had been tied up in a bun and her eyes had been very heavy from lack of sleep. Now, her eyes were bright, her hair messy and sticking to her face as the sweat from the sparing glistened her skin. Sana would have to be careful.

"Well I was trained by the best." Sana responded with a sad smile. 

Momo placed a hand on her shoulder, "Don't worry. We'll find her." 

Sana nodded, not trusting her voice to speak.

"It's almost time to head out." Momo observed, "I'm gonna take a quick shower." 

"Me too." Sana nodded. 

Momo looked at her in surprise, pursing her lips.

Sana's eyes widened, "Upstairs! In my bathroom!" she quickly responded. 

There was only one shower downstairs, she'd forgotten and of course Momo had been aware of it from her time here. 

Momo nodded, a small smirk on her lips as she walked away. Sana covered her face and groaned.

"Why am I embarrassed. She's the one whose mind went to the gutter." Sana murmured as she exited the elevator. She wiped the sweat from her face with a towel as she walked out of the parlor out into the hallway.

She froze as she sensed someone else in the hallway. And from the smell of the perfume she knew it wasn't Mr. Park.

"Mina?" She said with surprise as she caught sight of the girl in her foyer. "What are you doing here?"

"Oh, hello." Mina turned from where she had been looking at a large old painting. "We forgot to give you your homework yesterday, I thought I'd come bring it to you." 

Sana looked at the manila folder in her hands, "Oh, thanks." 

"It's the least I could do for keeping my secret." Mina bit her lip, "And I wanted to explain." 

"You don't have to." Sana quickly tried to reassure her, "We all have our secrets." 

Mina tucked a strand of brown hair behind her ear, "I know, it's just, I don't want you to get the wrong idea. And I'm a bit embarrassed." Pink tinted her pale cheeks. "I'm a bit shy, as you've probably noticed. When I transferred over I was going to let everyone know I understood Korean but everyone assumed that I didn't and I didn't want them to feel bad if I corrected them so I pretended to not know. It was silly but I don't really have the courage to speak up for myself sometimes..." 

Sana smiled at how innocent her reasoning had been, she should have guessed it was due to her shyness. "I understand. I pretend to not know Korean sometimes also." 

Mina smiled at her widely, the first time Sana had seen such a smile from her. She noted how beautiful it looked. "Thank you for understanding. I'll explain to the girls tomorrow. I think it's time I stopped hiding it." 

"If that's what you feel is best." Sana nodded in encouragement. "I guess our study sessions are off?" 

Mina pursed he lips, "I wouldn't mind still having your help..." 

"Well, friends study together all time." Sana grinned, "Right?" 

Mina nodded, "Friends do."