Three

Night Girl

Weeks went by with Night Woman trying to track down the Black Swan and The Ringmaster but to no unveil. 

Meanwhile Sana tried her best improving all her self defense and attack techniques to perfection. She felt herself getting stronger and stronger each day; and little by little she was given more responsibility. 

Nothing major had happened in a while and she could tell that Yubin was just waiting for something to happen. She was on her toes and constantly paranoid. Mr. Park had to force her to sleep on some occasions and even eat.

Sana on the other hand, took the advantage of the calm nights to train or study. She took them as signs as progress, it meant they were finally making a difference and hopefully it would mean their help wouldn't be needed anymore. That was Yubins original intention at least.

"Kim Yubin to cut ribbon at the museum opening." Sana read from the paper Mr. Park had set on th breakfast table. "Woah that's cool." 

"Hardly," Yubin replied after sipping her coffee, "Anyone could cut the ribbon." 

"Can I come see?" Sana asked hopefully, the event would take place the next day, a school day, but she was curious and wanted to see Yubin be Kim Yubin. 

Yubin looked over at her with a steady glare, "It's during school hours."

Sana rolled her eyes, "My guardian is cutting an important ribbon, I think my school will understand. Please? I'll go back to school right after the event."

"It would be good for Miss Sana to be seen at an event like this Ms. Kim." Mr. Park interjected. "You haven't been seen together enough by the press since she'd come to live with us."

Sana and Yubin both scowled at being reminded of the press. Both Sana and Night Girl were common victims of their slanderish words. Sana for having suspiciously been fostered by such a reserved high profile billionaire and the press was not friendly towards vigilantes despite all the rescuing they did. Sana lost count of the amount of times reporter Lee Chaelin had been rescued. 

"Are you sure you'll be able to handle the attention?" Yubin lifted a brow in question.

Sana nodded, "I fight bad guys at night. I think I can handle a few cameras."

*^*

She lied.

Yubin had made sure to prepare security detail for their arrival but the men surrounding them did little to save them from the flashing lights and personal questions. Sana scowled as one reporter asked what she planned to do with her inheritance. It was a question she'd gotten often and hated. 

The press that surrounded them all belonged to low rate magazines and online gossip blogs. More respectable journalists sat on reserved seats in front of the newly built museum. 

For years the museum had been under construction. The original had been targeted by a high level gang and blown up in a fight between the gang and Night Woman. Kim Industries had generously donated to the rebuilding project and today Yubin would cut the ribbon on behalf of the company.

Sana stood beside her as the mayor gave a speech about hope and strength and just the general words you say after coming back from such a disaster. Sana wasn't sure where to look and her eyes spent most of the time flickering from face to face in the crowd. She could see Reporter Lee and her photographer Park Bom. Taecyeon and Hyelim were also present, Hyelim sending her a big smile from her place with the police department. 

All the big officials and elites were present to watch. 

The mayor stepped back as he welcomed Yubin to give her speech. Sana straightened up as she anticipated her words. She thoroughly enjoyed seeing Yubin as a billionaire CEO. She was charming and cool as she spoke about the city and their strength.

"I remember visiting the museum with my parents when I was younger," her voice turned softer, "I don't have many memories but I still hold dear the moments we spent exploring the exhibits and all the historic art that is important to this city. Kim Industries is a family business. Family is very important to us. We wanted to rebuild a place for other families to enjoy as I did once. I'm also excited to take my ward, Sana, who wasn't able to enjoy the many wonders of the museum before it was tragically destroyed." 

Her lasts words caught Sana off guard, it had been the first time Yubin had addressed her as her ward and in such a sentimental way. Her eyes watered slightly and she had to breath deeply as she tried to prevent herself from shedding any tears. She could just imagine the headlines if she was caught crying. Besides, Yubins words could've simply been for show. 

Yubin finished her speech and the next important person stepped up to speak. Yubin didn't meet her eye as she stepped back in her place beside her. Sana wondered if perhaps she was embarrassed by what she had said. After all she wasn't much with words to begin with.

As the speeches came to an end, Yubin was handed a large pair of scissors and Sana watched with excitement as she stepped forward to cut the ribbon.

"Sana." Yubin called, "Why don't you help me?" 

Sana stared in shock and heard the cameras in the crowd rapidly clicking as someone nudged her forward. She plastered an excited smile on her face as she skipped over. She smiled up at Yubin as she grabbed onto the scissors that felt much lighter then she expected.

"On three okay?" Yubin smiled.

Sana nodded as the crowd began to countdown.

Everything happened in slow motion as the ribbon fell as they cut it, Yubin smiling genuinely at her and then...

Darkness.

*^*

Sana woke up coughing as she heard the sounds of sirens and people screaming. Looking around she saw Hyelim beside her as she looked down at her in worry.

"W-what happened?" 

Hyelim wore a deep frown as she looked down at her, "The Ringmaster and Black Swan attacked... They..." 

"They what?" Sana sat up, "Did they hurt anyone? Is the museum okay?" 

Sana looked over to see the museum still very much intact. She was still on the stage with various bodies laying around her. Everyone seemed to be present. Except...

"Where's Yubin?" Sana looked around wildly for her.

"Listen, I need you to be calm okay. Everything is going to be okay. We're going to find her."

"What happened?" Wanting to hear a different answer from the one in her head.

"They took her." Taecyeon answered as he came to crouch in front of her. "We need to get you out of here." 

"I have to find her." Sana's eyes watered at his confirmation. She stood, wobbly, and Hyelim holding on to her. "I can find her." 

"Listen we don't know what they want from her. You could be their next target. You need to get home and stay there." He pointed at her, "We both know she can take care of herself and she wouldn't want you to be doing anything dangerous." He whispered firmly. "Let the police handle it." 

Sana sulked as Hyelim rubbed her shoulder in comfort, "He's right. You need to stay safe. Yubin would hate for you to get hurt." 

Sana nodded in defeat and let Hyelim guide her to her car. 

Mr. Park didn't comment on Yubins absence as Sana entered the estate. Simply hugging her in comfort before heading to the kitchen to fix her tea. Hyelim left after warning her one more time to not do anything. 

Sana was left standing in the foyer lost. 

Yubin was strong, she knew that, but she'd never been taken like this before. So unprepared. As a billionaire of course she was the target for many threats but nothing could prepare them for this. Sana felt her chest tighten as dark flashes of memory began to flicker in head.

"Miss Sana?" 

She snapped away to look at Mr. Park, holding a tray of tea. It was only then that she felt the tears streaming down her face as he looked to her sadly. 

"She'll be okay, right Mr. Park?" She asked hoarsely.

He straightened up with a serious face and nodded, "Of course. Miss Yubin is probably on her way home as we speak. Now, let's not feel down. How about you help me prepare her favorite dinner for her return?" 

Sana knew that the possibility of her return that night was impossible but she nodded her head and followed him to the kitchen.

*^*

Yubin did not show up for dinner.

Sana left her cold plate, after waiting for two hours, and made her way down to the lair. She knew Taecyeon and Hyelim would be disappointed but she had to go find Yubin. Mr. Park said nothing as he followed her down. 

Sana began heading to where their outfits hung, pausing as she looked over toward Yubins.

"People are gonna wonder why Night Girl is out alone." She muttered.

"Perhaps you can take her place until her return." 

Sana jumped as Mr. Park appeared beside her.

"W-what?" 

Mr. Park looked toward the costume bluntly.

"I-I couldn't.. I can't be Night Woman." Sana looked at him in disbelief. 

"You said yourself that people will wonder. I have faith that you've been trained well enough to take her place temporarily." 

Sana blinked in wonder, "Do you really think so?" 

He nodded, "I do." 

Sana was careful as she slipped into the suit behind the built in changing room. Yubins legs were longer then hers and her bust just a bit bigger. It fit loose in some places but it would be manageable. However it felt too much like cosplay and she hoped she wouldn't have to wear it for long.

She'd always wanted to be the hero. But not like this.

She took a deep breath as she stared into the mirror.

"You can do this. Yubin needs you."

The words tasted like lies on her tongue but she'd hold onto the lies until Yubin came back.

Marching out in her suit, she walked up to the computer. 

"Jihyo are you there?"

"Sana! I'm so glad you're okay! I've been waiting to hear from you." Jihyo said over the intercom. 

"I'm fine but I need to find Yubin. Do you have a tracker on her phone perhaps?" 

"I do, in fact I started tracing it since I heard the news. I'll send the location to your bike's gps." 

"Send it to the Night Mobile." Sana instructed, "I'll be Night Woman until Yubin is found." 

"A-are you sure?" 

Sana sighed, "No but we can't have people connecting dots." 

"I understand. Okay. The coordinates have been sent. Remember that I'm here for any help you need." 

"Thanks, I'm gonna need it." 

*^*

The location that led to Yubins cellphone was a warehouse by the docks. 

Sana scouted the area, suspicious by the lack of any sign of life in the area. She was sure that Yubin wouldn't be kept in such a unprotected space. With a bad feeling in her stomach, she crept into the warehouse from a roof opening and landed on one of the roofs rafters. 

She crept around on the rafter, searching for the exact spot the cellphone read it should be. Her stomach dropped as she looked below to find the cellphone sitting alone on a table with a spot light above it.

Figuring that she was alone, she dropped down to the floor. Walking carefully to phone, she glared at the piece of paper that read, "Night Woman", beside it. 

She picked up the phone, entering the passcode. She jumped as she was met by the sight of The Ringmasters face.

"Oh, darling Night Woman. I know your little genius mind would be smart enough to track the precious billionaires phone. But I bet you thought you'd find her with it, tsk tsk NM, tsk tsk. You know me better than that. Or maybe you did know better. It doesn't matter. What matters is all the C4 I hid in the warehouse you're currently standing in! Surprise! Hahahaha!" The video cut off as Sana let out a cry of frustration. She should have known. 

Quickly, she whipped out her grapple gun, aiming it to the roof. She needed to leave, now. 

"Thomas, she's not here." She hissed as she climbed onto the rafters. Running toward the roof opening she'd entered through. 

She skidded to a stop as she noticed a figure standing on the end of the rafter, right where the opening was.

"Black Swan." Sana quickly fell into defense mode. 

The the girl was dressed in a black cloak that slightly shimmered and looked to be wearing some kind of lace dress beneath. Her hair, looked long and red. A mask covered her upper face as she stood smirking before her. 

Sana placed a hand over the respirator in her belt, ready to take it out. 

"The Ringmaster sent me to make sure you don't leave the warehouse." The girls voice was ire and sent shivers down Sana's back. 

Sana was ready to make a smart remark, when she suddenly remembered that Night Woman didn't banter with the villains. She was silent and firm. She knew that she wouldn't leave without having to fight the Black Swan. Quickly whipping out the respirator, she dropped  a smoke pellet to hide her as she moved down the ground floor and out of the villains sight. 

"You don't have much time before the bombs explode Night Woman." The girl called out. 

Sana, already on the opposite side of where'd she'd been standing before, shot her grapple gun towards the rafters. She swung upwards, landing directly behind the Black Swan. 

"Then I guess we should go." She smirked, catching the Black Swan off guard and hitting her with a hard swing. 

Stunned, the girl stumbled off the rafters and Sana reached to catch her before she could fall. A fall from that height could be deadly. 

Sana's eyes widened as the black smoke began to waft around them. 

"We'll meet again, Night Woman." 

Black Swan slipped from her hands as the smoke engulfed Sana, clouding her vision. Thankfully she wasn't passing out but her vision was completely disabled. Carefully, she traced her steps backwards, looking up as she tried to catch sight of the roof opening. 

Suddenly, she was knocked off the rafter as a loud explosion shook the warehouse. Thankfully she landed onto some pallets and quickly tried to steady herself as another explosions rocked the warehouse. 

Aiming her grapple gun toward the sky opening, she tried to steady her hands as she shot. The grapple stuck to the opening as she surged upward. She managed crawl through the opening as another bomb exploded. She didn't waste time as she ran towards the edge of the building. 

The entire warehouse exploded as she jumped off the roof, diving straight down into the ocean.