Two

Night Girl

Sana woke up from her usual after school nap to find Commissioner Taecyeon and detective Hyelim in the parlor, speaking softly with Yubin. Mr. Park was there serving drinks while they talked. 

 Commissioner Taecyeon had been working alongside Yubin for years. Back when he was just some cop on patrol and the system was controlled by the mobsters. When Yubin arrived to clean up the city, the two of them had worked together and developed a strong trust. Eventually, Yubin had revealed her actual identity to him.

Detective Hyelim had figured out Yubins identity on her own. Giving Yubin no choice but to trust her and accept her help. She was usually colder to Hyelim for having figured it out, her secret was something she worked so hard to keep secret, but Sana knew she highly respected Hyelim. 

"Have you found anything on the substances Sana in took?" 

Yubin sipped her glass of wine and shook her head, "I have yet to receive results."

"She's alright though?" Hyelim asked softly.

Yubin nodded as Sana approached. They hadn't heard her enter and she smiled at her success of being stealthy. Taecyeon and Hyelim both jumped at the sight of her. "I'm fine and dandy." She said, taking a seat beside Yubin. 

"Sana, we're so glad you're okay." Hyelim smiled and reached to hug her. 

Sana accepted the warm hug, waving to Taecyeon as they pulled away. 

"Hopefully your experience will give us a breakthrough with what exactly that black gas is." He said, taking a swing of his scotch. 

Hyelim slapped his shoulder.

He rolled his eyes, "Glad you're okay kid." 

"Thanks." Sana responded as dryly as he had said it. She knew that he genuinely meant it but just like Yubin, he knew that she was strong and the bigger picture was more important. Sana hoped that their faith in her strength would give them some sort of answer. 

"Any news on the new kid?" Yubin said, setting down her glass.

"Ah!" Taecyeon nodded, mimicking her and clasping his hands together, "Calls himself The Crow. So far we ain't getting any trouble from him. I was hoping you'd have a better chance at communicating with him." 

Sana realized they were speaking of the new vigilante. He'd come out of nowhere and they'd yet to encounter him face to face. Sana knew that Yubin disliked when people acted like heroes, they became problems when she constantly needed to go save them. Sana had experienced first hand how unwilling she was to work with her, so when anyone showed up on their own, it annoyed her. However; this new guy had yet to need any of their help so Yubin let him do his thing. Sana had suggested partnering up with him once, it seemed like he was capable of handling his own, but all she had received was a cold glare. 

Yubin hummed in thought. 

Sana looked at her hopefully, "I can—"

"No." Yubin responded quickly. "We'll leave him be. I have more important things to worry about." 

Sana nodded in submission and Hyelim sent her a sympathetic look. 

"Well whatever you think is best." Taecyeon nodded, "We should get going." 

They said their goodbyes, the sun was setting and it was almost time for Night Woman and Night Girl to go out on patrol. 

Sana was happy to suit up again. She was also  glad Yubin hadn't "grounded" her. She had expected to be lectured about her mistake the other night but so far it didn't seem as though Yubin would be brining it up. 

"Take it easy tonight." Yubin said as she strolled up to the large computer, beginning to tap away to the keys.

"Test test." Sana repeated as she put in her ear piece. 

"Test success." Jihyo responded. 

"Remember protocol." Yubin instructed as Sana made her way to her bike. 

"I know." Sana rolled her eyes, it seems Yubin wouldn't be lecturing her but making sure Sana was back to safety mode.

As the clock hit eight, Sana revved her bike and took off into the night.

*^*

Yubin found out two days later that the black smoke was just your basic knock out gas. There would be no damage to Sana or her lungs for having inhaled it; something she hadn't considered before Yubin had even mentioned it. She felt slightly embarrassed for having been taken down simply by knock out gas. Though thankful it wasn't anything stronger.

At school, Mina became a regular with their group. She and Chaeyoung joined the older girls up on the roof where they sat for lunch usually. Despite speaking the same language, Sana never managed to get more then a few words out of her. She offered to tutor her, figuring that learning from someone with experience and understanding would be better help. 

Truthfully, Sana offered for more then just being friendly. She found Mina very beautiful and wanted to get to know her better. Sana usually didn't date but it was more so because the girls she liked were usually all straight. She had a bad habit of falling for them. 

Recently though, she'd banned herself from submitting to her feelings. Her after school activities were dangerous after all. And lying about being a masked vigilante was no way to build a relationship. 

But something about Mina made her want to get closer to the girl.

Unfortunately, Mina was glued to Chaeyoungs side. Even with language on her side, it seemed like Mina had little care for Sana. Her eyes, constantly remaining on Chaeyoung and following her around like a puppy. 

Desperate for her attention, Sana even attempted to flirt openly with her.

It was useless as Mina blinked emptily at her and Sana pouted, shoving noddles into as Jungyeon laughed. 

"What's up with you and Mina." Nayeon asked one day while they walked towards the library, stacks of books in their hands.

Sana groaned, "I don't know. I think she hates me but I don't know why." 

"Haven't you been tutoring her?" 

Sana nodded, "Chaeyoungs around though so it's never just us." 

"Wait, do you like her?" A grin spread across Nayeons face.

Sana blushed and ducked her head, "I just think she's cute." 

Nayeons laugh was shushed as they entered the library. 

*^*

Sana chased after the running man who'd she'd caught in the process of robbing a liquor store. He was fast and she hadn't had a chance to use one of her Nightarangs or the grappling gun that also could be used to catch people. 

 If there was one thing Sana hated when going out on patrol, it was running. She wasn't very fast and with all her gear she was even slower. During training, Yubin had forced her to run miles upon miles to build up her stamina and improve her speed. Her stamina had improved but getting her to run faster was hopeless. At least she could keep up with her current crook.

She was glad to see him stop as they ran toward a brick wall. A dead end. 

She smiled at her luck. "Looks like you're trapped." She said smugly, hoping he'd go peacefully as her legs screamed from the run and she wasn't sure if she'd have the upper hand in a fight.

Luck was not on her side as the man pulled out a knife. 

As he charged for her, she spun with the intent to kick the knife from his hand. She was successful as she heard it click on the floor as it landed. Unfortunately she had made a rookie mistake and the man took her moment of imbalance to tackle her. She found herself on the ground, struggling to prevent the man from putting his hands around her neck. If he succeeded, it would be over for her. 

Suddenly the man flew away from her and Sana paled as she sat up. She gasped as she realized it hadn't been Yubin to pull the man off her but the new vigilante, The Crow, who stood in front of her, ready to take on the robber. 

She watched, studying the new vigilante. It was a short fight as the man landed on the ground with a thud.

"I could have handled him myself." Sana felt the need to explain herself as she stood, facing The Crow, "I had it all planned out."

The Crow glared at her before turning and hopping up to climb up a fire escape. 

Sana followed him, a little less gracefully, making her wonder if he was some sort of gymnast. "Hey where you going!" She called after him.

"Thomas, the robber from the 7/11 is in an alley just south of it. I'll get you a near by street soon." She said as she climbed.

"Don't worry, your tracker told me where he is. The cops are on the way." 

"Right." Sana said remembering the tracker on her suit. "Hey!" She called out as The Crow began to run off.

Quickly climbing up onto the roof she attempted to chase after him. 

"Night Girl what's the matter?" Night Woman called to her.

She cursed, realizing that Night Woman had heard her. 

"Uh, I ran into The Crow." Sana responded as she landed onto the paralleled buildings. 

"I told you not to engage with him." Yubin's voice was hard and Sana knew she was close to getting yelled at.

"Hey he ran into me." Sana quickly defended herself, halting her chase. 

"Disengage Night Girl. Return to your post." Yubin ordered.

"Yes m'am." Sana responded, watching the boy disappear.

*^*

Mina was hiding something.

As they studied together, Sana couldn't help but notice little things. Like the way she tilted her head or nodded along subconsciously as Sana and Chaeyoung spoke in Korean. Moments when her facial expressions weren't so stone cold that made Sana speculate that Mina wasn't as clueless to Korean as she lead on. 

In one particular instance, Jungyeon had said something ridiculous to make the group laugh at her and the corners of Mina's lips had risen just momentarily. At first Sana had written it off as a natural response from everyone else's laughter but the puzzle pieces fit so perfectly and Sana knew, Myoui Mina understood Korean perfectly well. She knew how to spot a liar. 

She decided to not confront her of her suspicious, keeping it to herself while they studied. 

Their could be many reasons why Mina was hiding her knowledge of Korean and she didn't want to scare her or embarrass her by exposing her. She'd find a moment when they were alone to speak to her about it.

That moment came when Chaeyoung left early. Before Mina could call their study session to an end, Sana spoke. "I know your secret." She said in Korean. 

The way Mina froze confirmed Sana's theory. A smile graced her face, she was proud of her developing detective skills. 

"W-what?" Mina responded.

Sana smiled widely at her, "I know you can understand Korean perfectly well. I bet you can even speak it." 

There was a mix of emotions on Mina's face as she took in her words until it returned to the same expressionless look. She shook her head, "What?" She repeated. 

Sana sighed, "I don't know why you're doing it but don't worry I won't tell anyone. It's your secret to keep." She reassured her, "Besides, if i expose you, our little study sessions will be over and I won't get a chance to get to know you." She ended with a wink as she stood, her books in hand, "See you tomorrow." 

She didn't look back but she was sure Mina was left with open wide.