The Dragon Tamer

Love Through The Dimensions

“Two large Roses, two small Tulips and one large Lily Blend, for customer number 23,” a waitress called from behind the counter in the small pollen juice shop.

 

“I’ll get it,” the new male said with a wide grin. Ki Bum waved him off, treating him as if he were a butler waiting on the elf.

 

Hyun Mi watched how he strode to the counter with a spring in his step as the 4 male sprites sitting on his shoulders looked at him with confused faces. She had a similar expression as she was analyzing him.

 

Who was he and where was he from? He was much taller than herself and had a good build. Not too skinny but not too buff either. Toned to perfection if Hyun Mi said so herself. He had dark brown hair, lightly tanned skin and his clothing was slightly tattered as if he had done heavy work. Was he human too? Hyun Mi didn’t want to judge him by how he looked, because he could have easily been a vampire or a werewolf even though he looked human.

 

“Stop staring and smiling at him like a creep, troll,” Hyun Mi snapped her head at the elf who was checking out all the clothes he had bought, putting them against his body to admire how they looked.

 

The girl lightly smacked her hand against the table, shocking the 4 little pixies that were dreamily lounging on the tissue container and playing with the portion of fabric that stuck out of the box. She whispered a small apology and they nodded before going back to daydreaming. Seems like the little ones were bitten by the love bug themselves.

 

“I told you I'm not a troll. I’m 151.5cm tall and trolls are only known to be 120cm tall at most! Also, that was very rude of you to make him pay for your drink,” Hyun Mi nagged and Ki Bum just rolled his eyes.

 

After shoving the article of clothing he had in his hand back into its paper bag, he retorted, “And who paid for your drink?”

 

The girl was stumped for a moment. She started off unsurely, “Well, he did. But-”

 

“But I was the one who wanted to pay for her,” the guy cut in, helping Hyun Mi out of her situation.

 

Woohyun lifted one of the large Rose blends and placed in front of Hyun Mi while his sprite companions worked together to carry one of the small Tulip blends for the pixies. The wings of the pixies fluttered as they timidly squeaked to the males, probably saying thank you before they sat on the plastic dome cover of the beverage.

 

“Thank you,” Hyun Mi said, for both the drink and the help. She was smiling at him wider than she thought causing Ki Bum to snort. Woohyun slipped into the seat next to Ki Bum, directly in front of her.

 

“Hey, Woohyun. I think she’s got a thing for you.”

 

Hyun Mi glared at the elf but didn’t say anything to deny it.

 

Woohyun looked at the menacing girl and laughed, “Me too.”

 

Hyun Mi’s lips were ajar as her eyes darted back and forth, unsure of how to respond, ‘Me too? Him too? What too? I don’t have a thing for him! Yet…?’

 

“My name is Nam Woohyun,” the guy finally introduced himself and cut of Hyun Mi’s thoughts when he extended his hand for a shake. The smile on his face captivated her and the feeling was something she never experienced before. It was oddly intoxicating and she couldn’t resist the feeling of butterflies in her stomach.

 

The girl admired the way his features brightened when he smiled and she extended her hand to hold his. She couldn’t help taking in the way his hand felt so soft and how her own fit perfectly in his. Maybe this was what they called infatuation. Whatever it was, she wanted to savor it, “Jang Hyun Mi.”

 

The 4 pixies then introduced themselves to the 5 new males just like they did back in Hyun Mi’s spell room. After Seul Yi completed her introduction, Ki Bum took a breath to mock them again, but rethought his decision when he saw the little creatures shooting daggers at him through their eyes.

 

Woohyun urged his sprite companions to introduce themselves as well. Unlike pixies, they didn’t have wings or magic dust. Instead they used miniature wands to conjure a spell that allowed their speech to be amplified.

 

The one in dark purple introduced himself as Howon, the sprite of dance. Myungsoo was the one dressed in black and known to be the sprite of night. In the pristine white clothes was Taemin, sprite of truth and last but not least was Jisoo, dressed in light blue, he was the sky sprite.

 

“Hey, can I have one of those toothpicks?” Ki Bum snickered, as he ridiculed the sprites’ wands. The four smaller males rolled their eyes, unfazed by his ‘wit’.

 

Hyun Mi was already done with Ki Bum at this point and decided to ignore him, turning her full attention to Woohyun while the sprites and pixies got along. The girl was hesitating at first before she cautiously posed the question, “So.. Woohyun, which dimension are you from?”

 

She wasn’t usually one to start a conversation but she was really curious. Maybe he was human too, then they could even meet in their own dimension later. Woohyun chuckled when he saw the twinkling curiosity in her eyes.

 

“I’m from-”

“Berk,” Ki Bum answered in his stead.

 

Hyun Mi flattened her eyes, “I’m pretty sure your name isn’t Woohyun. Why are you going around guessing where people come from?”

 

“He’s not guessing. I really am from Berk,” Woohyun nodded and Ki Bum shrugged.

 

Her surprised look didn’t do anything to hide the questions that went through her head. She was like an open book. Her face was the page and her expressions were the words that painted out the question. And in that moment she was wondering how the elf knew anything about Woohyun.

 

She was always amazed when people would answer the questions in her head. That person being Woohyun this time, “Ki Bum was my companion when I first crossed through the dimensions.”

 

So that’s why he freely approached her and paid for her and the snobby elf’s drink. As much as she was annoyed by him, in that moment she felt a sort of gratitude towards him as well. But then the facts finally sunk in and a wash of sympathy - and empathy - ran through Hyun Mi when she of thought how Woohyun had to put up with the sarcastic guy. His humor was as dry as the Sahara desert and his insults constantly got on her nerves. She had the sudden urge to just pat him on the back for all his suffering.

 

But it all made sense. Just with the knowledge that he came from Berk, it had answered many of Hyun Mi’s thoughts. Why he looked so human, why his clothes were tattered and how his lean body was nicely toned. Berk was the dimension of Dragons and Tamers.

 

Dragon tamers were basically human. That dimension was only inhibited by dragons milleniums prior, but many Keepers from the Universe had ventured into Berk to tame dragons. Over the centuries, they evolved slightly according to their lifestyle. In terms of their build and other factors, they had changed quite a bit, but they were just human for the most part. Maybe that’s why he seemed so charming too.

 

The girl always found dragon tamers really cool ever since she heard stories about them from her parents and grandparents. Hyun Mi sighed dreamily, resting her chin on her hand that was propped up by her elbow against the table.

 

“How about you? Which dimension are you from?” Woohyun asked back.

 

“Gardenia or Undrige,” Ki Bum commented dryly although he knew full well that wasn’t the case. Woohyun elbowed his friend, telling him to let her speak.

 

Hyun Mi grunted, giving up on protesting anymore, “I take it that from your time with him as your companion you’ve learnt not to listen to what he says.”

 

“Yeah, pretty much,” Woohyun nodded and this time Ki Bum elbowed him saying that they were supposed to be friends. The Berk only waved his friend off so he could listen to Hyun Mi speak.

 

“I’m a human from Universe.”

 

“Really? I thought you were an Angel from Olympus,” Woohyun grinned cheesily at her.

 

Hyun Mi blushed hard, his cheesy pick up line working perfectly on her. No attempt would have worked to cover up the rosy tint on her cheeks. Even though it made no sense that she looked like an Angel from Olympus because the Gods, Goddesses and Angels towered way above humans with immensely large wings.

 

Ki Bum gagged, “It would make more sense if you said she looked like a troll from Undridge or an elf. The girl is 151cm tall.”

 

“Point five! 151.5cm! The point five is important, mind you!”

 

The Berk laughed at how his close friend and the girl in front of him bickered. They continued the conversation in a similar fashion throughout their time in the shop. Woohyun and Hyun Mi would ask and answer questions while Ki Bum humored himself by cutting in with his unending remarks. The pixies and sprites were having a good time amongst themselves, getting to know each other and sharing their talents.

 

Before they knew it, the sky started to darken and the Pollen Juice Bar was already empty as fairies tend to turn in early. The 11 beings left the store to head to the dimension’s guest quarters. Apart from Universe, every dimension had a guest quarters which was similar to a hotel back on Earth but without the need for payment. That was Hyun Mi’s favourite part - free accommodation.

 

Each person got their own room, they even had a whole floor just for the little pixies and sprites where the mini rooms were located. After placing their belongings into the rooms, the group met up for dinner in the quarter’s diner. More of what Hyun Mi liked - free food!

 

A whole buffet was served and they all picked out what they wanted. The pixies and sprites even had a section special to them where the food selections were small enough for them to grab as well.

 

Hyun Mi wandered around grabbing a small bit of everything that appealed to her so she could try it all. After she had put everything she could fit on her plate, she was about the head to their seat. But Woohyun swooped past her and grabbed her plate to carry it for her.

 

It seemed like his sprites learnt well from him as the little ones carried the plates for the pixies as well. Howon pulled out Bi Ah’s chair, Myungsoo laid Seul Yi’s napkin on her lap, Taemin got a drink for Maerin and Jisoo cut some of Hana’s food into bite sized pieces. Meanwhile, Woohyun did all of the above for Hyun Mi.

 

“Are your hands and legs not working, troll?” Ki Bum raised a brow as he watched how his friend pampered the human girl to no end. He couldn’t help but cringe at the sight.

 

Woohyun shushed him, saying how he wanted to do it out of his own free-will. Hyun Mi could only thank him as he insisted on doing everything for her. By the time he was done helping her and sat down in his seat, Ki Bum was done with half of his food. But knowing him, he was bound to get another serving. So, they continued their conversation from the juice place.

 

“Since you’ve already traveled through every dimension before, what do you plan to do now?”

 

Hyun Mi’s question made him think longer and harder than he had for any of the ones she had asked earlier on. After some thought, he answered, “I think now I’d like to do it again. It’s been a year since I cross the dimensions with Ki Bum.”

 

“Hey, if you’re going to travel through all the dimensions again, you could join us!” Hyun Mi exclaimed, the excitement clear in her voice.

 

“That’s a good idea. Even the pixies and sprites seem to get along well,” Woohyun commented and winked in the direction of the little creatures causing all of them to go slightly stiff for a moment.

 

“Right! Plus, you and Ki Bum are really good friends. And I have a really bad sense of direction, so maybe you could be my guide,” Hyun Mi admitted.

 

“I’d be honored to,” Woohyun accepted and with that they were officially travelling buddies. All 11 of them.

 

“Woah, who said you two could decide on that yourselves?” Ki Bum interrupted.

 

Woohyun grabbed the elf in a playful headlock, “You got any objections?”

 

“No, I just wanted to be in on it,” the elf pried himself out of his friend’s hold.

 

Hyun Mi laughed at the bromance that unfolded in front of her. Having Woohyun around would surely make her journey more pleasant. They all chatted for a little bit more over their food and Woohyun shared some of his experiences with dragons. He also talked about some quirky situations he had encountered in other dimensions. Ki Bum somehow let down that irritating sarcasm and participated in the conversation, adding on to Woohyun’s storytelling.

 

After they finished their meal, they walked back to their rooms to get ready for the adventure awaiting them the following day.

 

“By the way, how’d you find me at the juice bar earlier?” Hyun Mi asked as they walked along the corridor.

 

“What are you talking about? I saw you walk in. The pollen bar was a 3 minute walk away from where you left me at the end of the block,” Ki Bum squinted at her.

 

“What!? But I walked a whole 15 minutes in hopes I could ditch you!”

 

Ki Bum wheezed as he doubled over, his high pitched obnoxious laughter piercing through their ears, “Wait! Ditch me!?”

 

Woohyun patted him on the back and only added to her embarrassment when he laughed, “I guess you were really serious about the bad directional senses and needing a guide.”

 

“It doesn’t matter if I get lost, as long as I’m with y- everyone!” she choked on her words slightly, hoping that he didn’t catch her slip. He just nodded at her with his usual grin and smiled.

 

Maybe having bad navigational senses was a good thing sometimes.



 


Whee~ So now all the main and most important side characters have been introduced. Woohyun is a dragon tamer! Pretty cool aye? No? Okay xD Random fact, but I kept having a problem with the word dragon tamer (even now as I’m typing this note).

"Berk was the dimension of Dragons and Taemins.”

I keep typing Taem instead of tame xD Force of love (not habit hahaha) If there was a dimension of dragons and Taemins, I’d be the only female resident xD

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this chapter <3