chap 4

I'd trade 1000 tears for your smile

  

The sky was dark when I finished the dance practice. I gathered my ipod, dance shoes, and changed out of my dance clothing before exiting the dance studio.

It was almost 8 o’clock when I reached the hill just in front of my house. The entire street was dead silent and no one was in sight. Since it was close to the end of October, the day was so short that it was pitch dark by 6. I was never a fan of the dark so I was always very paranoid and cautious when it was dark outside.

“Hey,” a deep voice resonated from behind me and I felt my entire body tense up as I caught scent of the beer in the stranger’s breath.

Darn it, a drunkard. What should I do? I thought as my brain panicked. Should I run or turn around and attack him before he attacks me? Oh, but I don’t know any kung fu moves. Maybe, I should just kick him where it really hurts. Yeah, that’s what I’ll do.

My mind was fixed on the attack and I swiftly turned around to give the figure a hard kick. I don’t think I’ve ever kicked this hard in my entire life. When he was hunched over, groaning in pain, I added another blow to his exposed back and was confident in the immense amount of pain I put him in.

That felt good. I thought as I grinned on the inside. I’ve always wanted to do that ever since watching those Korean dramas or Chinese dramas where the heroine take down the villain.

“What was that for?” the figure groaned in pain as he lifted his head.

“Oh my gosh. Jaejoong. Are you Ok?” I said worriedly when I realized who I’ve attacked.

I quickly put his arm around my shoulder and helped him to the nearby bench which was situated on top of the hill and had a beautiful view of the city night.

After a few minutes, when Jaejoong seemed to have felt slightly better, I began, “what where you doing here? And why did you drink?”

“No-no reason,” he stuttered as he turned to look away.

“Come on, you know you can tell me,” I said patiently, as if talking to a small child.

“Well, it’s about the dance show and the Halloween dance,” Jaejoong finally replied, “this morning, I went to find Yoona to ask if she wanted to see the dance show with me. She told me that she didn’t have time that Saturday with a charity event that she’s organizing. Then she just walked away without sparing another glance at me.”

I looked at his pained expression with empathy. If only you knew, Jaejoong. I thought. If only you knew that that is how I feel all the time.

“It’s ok. It’s ok.” I cooed softly while gently patting his arm, comforting myself with my speech at the same time.

“Here,” Jaejoong said as he pulled something out of his pocket, “you can have the tickets now. You dance too right? I don’t want to see them ever again.”

I smiled bitterly to myself. So I only get what you no longer treasure, only the left-overs. I will always be second place. I thought sadly as Jaejoong sighed. Then he continued with his story.

“At lunch, when we talked about the upcoming dance, I thought of asking Yoona. So after school, I found her again and asked her to go with me. She told me that although she didn’t have a boyfriend right now, she didn’t see me that way. I was a good friend of hers whom she did not want to lose. So basically, I was rejected again.” He narrated with a heavy sigh, “wow, it really to be rejected by the same person, twice, on the same day. So here I am, drinking beer to relieve some stress.”

“Are you going to give up on her then?” I questioned with worry and hope on my face.

“No way,” he replied with some more confidence, “I’m going to the dance to show her how awesome I am. I’m going to get a great costume that’ll impress her for sure.”

“Oh,” he added as is suddenly remembering something important, “I have to have a date of course. I don’t want to look like the loser without a date. Maybe I’ll ask Jessica? Or should I ask Sunny?”

“No offense or anything,” he looked at me while explaining, “not that I don’t want to go with you but we’re like siblings. Yoona will know for sure that there’s nothing romantic going on between us.”

“Besides, I want to go with a really hot date who will definitely make her Jealous.” He added triumphantly as he conjured up the master plan that would win her over.

I sat beside him, quietly, gazing into the distance.

So I’m not even second place any more. I though silently while fighting to hold back my tears.

Wow, it really does to be rejected by the same person, twice, on the same day.

 

**********

i think i might have short attention span... that's why i can only write short chapter... the dance and Hyunjoong should be coming up next...if i'm not too distracted to write a cogent piece. lol