Magic Tricks

A Deck of KARD(s)

Jiwoo walked into the dance room just as she heard a sharp, explosive sound.

A confetti of cards fell around BM as he stood slumped over with one arm stretched. Jiwoo raised an eyebrow at the shocked Somin, who had jumped from the sudden impact of the deck against the mirrored wall. J.Seph had his hand over his mouth, his eyes studying the trick. The blonde sighed as she entered the dance room, closing the door to make sure no one else can see this nonsense.

“Yah, oppa!” BM quickly straightened at Jiwoo’s harsh voice. “What the hell do you think you’re doing?!”

“Relax, I’m just showing a trick,” BM explained, his arms raised in defense. “Just- just look at that!”

The young man pointed to the wall, much to Somin’s excitement. J.Seph raised his eyebrows at the card that was plastered against the wall, his eyes darting between the dabbing rapper and the unbelievable placement of the card in the mirror. He and Somin rushed forward, reaching for the 6 of Clubs. Their fingers were stopped by the glass just before they could reach the card, causing a small breath of awe to escape their lips. Jiwoo rolled her eyes at the continuously dabbing rapper.

“Is that your card?” BM finally pulled his face out of the crook of his elbow to point at the card with a smug grin.

“How did you do that?!” Somin looked back with uncontrolled awe before she looked back to the card. “When did you learn this?!”

“US of A, baby!” BM dabbed once more. “Yeah, I had a thing for a magic awhile ago, so, y’know.”

“You did something,” J.Seph accused of suspicion. “But I don’t know what.”

“Of course I did something,” BM said. “It’s called, ‘magic’.”

The tallest of the group raised his wriggling fingers as if shiny glitter was flaking off for added effect. Jiwoo sighed before hopping to wrap her arm around her BM’s neck. The American buckled beneath the force of Jiwoo’s hop as he was brought down to her level.

“You have time to do magic,” the small blonde growled. “But not enough time to write rhymes you-!”

“Jiwoo, Jiwoo, Jiwoo!” BM felt the pressure around his neck getting stronger. “You’re gonna break my neck-!”

“I did it!”

Everyone looked to Somin who was bouncing in joy as she watched her card stick to the wall. Her success didn’t last long, though, as the card fell, fluttering down in waves before landing silently against the wooden floors. J.Seph picked up a stack of cards and tried it himself, throwing it against the wall, but the cards only exploded harmlessly against the mirrors. He watched as they fell like autumn leaves before sighing in confusion as he rested an arm on Somin’s head.

“Oppa!” The Black Joker ducked beneath his arm and smacked his shoulder. “I’m not an armrest!”

“But you’re the perfect height.”

J.Seph bowed his stone face to hold in the laughter, only for Somin rush him down. But instead of tackling him down like she expected, the rapper just knelt and let her jump him, allowing J.Seph to lift her up and piggyback her around the room. Somin screamed in fear from the sudden height increase, but laughed it off as she decided she might as well take the free joyride while she can. J.Seph instantly regretted this decision, feeling the weight drag down on his bones. He had barely made it around the room when he felt short of breath.

Jiwoo let go of BM to laugh at the oldest member and his obvious discomfort. The other male member refused to let this abuse go on. He glared down at the blonde before crouching to grab her by her stomach. With a sudden yelp, he threw her over his shoulder before running in hot pursuit of Somin and her illegal ride. Jiwoo could only scream and squirm in BM’s grip.

“Freeze!” BM raised an accusatory finger as he kept J.Seph’s slow pace. “This is the K.A.R.D. police!”

“You’ll never catch us alive!”

“Damn, right.” J.Seph fell down in exhaustion, causing Somin to shriek as she toppled over him. “You’ll catch me dying…”

“J.Seph!” The older girl tried to shake the rapper awake, but to no avail. The eldest of the group was out cold. “J.Seph! No!”

“You are under arrest!” BM had stopped right in front of the duo with a finger gun raised at them. “For kidnapping, and grand theft J.Seph!”

“You’re committing a crime right now!” Jiwoo tried punching BM’s back. “Put me down!”

“No can do ma’am, you’re on the police ride for theft.”

“And what theft is that?” Jiwoo rolled her eyes. “Your heart?”

“My dignity.” Somin watched as the younger of the men straightened his posture with a hand to his heart. The sudden movement nearly dropped Jiwoo to the ground, so much so that her fingertips nearly touched the surface of the floor. BM held loosely around Jiwoo’s legs, causing fear in the youngest member. “For desecrating my power as an oppa.”

“Just let me down!” Jiwoo could feel her whole body hanging over BM’s back. “Let’s talk! Let’s talk!”

The silence was tense as BM stood still. No one dared breath, not even Jiwoo as her body began to lay parallel against the rapper’s. J.Seph sighed before raising his head, feeling the warm hand over his hair. Somin quickly looked down to and squealed when she saw the eldest rapper stir, but snapped to the sudden scream. Jiwoo fell on her arms with a thud as BM pulled his legs in and dabbed dramatically, his face in his left elbow as his right arm was outstretched like a graceful wing.

“Look over there, ladies and gentleman.”

Jiwoo grunted as she sat up to the sight of BM’s right hand flapping, beckoning for the gazes of the room’s occupants. Everyone looked to the far wall and raised their eyebrows. The whole wall was covered haphazardly with cards of all colors and values. J.Seph looked around and found none of the cards he threw on the ground, instead they were stuck firmly into the mirror. He stood and ran to them, his hand landing flat against the cool glass as he tried to reach for the cards. They were stuck firmly behind the mirror. Somin joined him in trying to pry the cards from the behind the wall, but her nails could only slide against the glass. They both furrowed their eyebrows, hoping at least one card was loose, but no. They were all stuck securely behind the wall.

BM had somehow stuck all the cards behind one of the mirrored wall.

“Swag.” The younger rapper dabbed the other way. “Magic.”

“BM!” He jumped from the maknae’s sudden rise in volume. “YOU BETTER GET THOSE CARDS DOWN OR ELSE I’M BUSTING YOUR FACE THROUGH THOSE MIRRORS TO GET THEM DOWN, UNDERSTOOD?!”

Jiwoo strode her way to the other two members and dragged them away, leaving BM to fix his mess.

“We’re going for bubble tea,” the vocalist said. “And if I don’t see this room cleared by then, I’m going to flip you over. Got it?!”

BM didn’t even get a chance to nod when Jiwoo slammed the door shut. He sighed before pulling out a chocolaty brown wand from the inside of his pants pocket. With a simple wave, the small, wooden rod burst forth a very transparent, but somewhat visible trail of navy blue. BM smiled when he eyed the small flecks of starlight within it as the trail connected the wand to every card stuck in the wall of the room.

“Accio!”

With a firm grip of two hands, BM yanked of the wand. The rapper managed to pull all of the cards from out of the walls, causing them to be tossed to his direction. BM quickly threw out his hand to catch the cards, but the magic did the rest of the work as they landed neatly onto the palm of his hand. Satisfied with his work, BM pocketed the deck of cards alongside his wand before leaving the room. He gave one final dab in the doorway before leaving with a smug grin.

“Swag.”