Chapter 9: The Escape

Matchless Love

Jaehwan’s PoV.

                Seokjin was gone when I woke up. I rubbed my eyes, despite the fact that I had barely gotten any sleep during the night.

                “Seokjin, where are you?” I called, sitting up and looking around the room.

                I heard and saw nothing. No sign of Seokjin. Except…

                On his side of the bed, a note was standing, my name printed boldly on it.

                Hesitantly picking it up, I read what it said.

                Jaehwan. My beautiful, amazing, Jaehwan.

                I’m sorry I wasn’t able to love you as much as you loved me. I feel horrible for having led you on like this. But Namjoon… I really love him. Please don’t be mad, I hate myself every day for it, too.

                I’m sorry I’ve changed so much. The old Kim Seokjin, the one you loved, still loves you. But the Kim Seokjin that is here now doesn’t want to hurt you with fake emotions, and thinks it is better to just leave.

                I don’t want you to hate me. I really, truly, love you. Just… not in a romantic sense.

                I could hear his voice as if he were in front of me, speaking nervously and wringing his hands together nervously. A sad smile quirked up on my lips as I continued to scan over the letter.

                Please blame me. For everything. It’s all my fault, and I’m sorry that I’m such a horrible Match.

                I understand that you hate me. But don’t hate Namjoon, please. It’s not his fault, it’s mine for being so incredibly stupid and falling in love with him.

                I could feel tears begin to slide down my cheeks, brushing them away quickly.

                I’ll leave and never come back, if you really want me to.

                Old Seokjin will continue to love you as New Seokjin hopes you can find it in your heart to forgive his incredible stupidity, but that you will be happy for him and Namjoon.

                And now I’m talking in third person. I’m an idiot…

                Goodbye, Jaehwan.

Namjoon’s PoV.

                I was barely awake as Jungkook walked into my room. “Namjoon, Mr. Kim is here…”

                His teacher? I looked at him, confused. “Jungkook, you didn’t get in trouble, did you?”

                He shook his head, eyes wide. “N- No! He asked to talk to you.”

                I nodded, getting ready quickly and heading out into the small kitchen, where Seokjin sat sullenly.

                He looked up, smiling slightly. Jungkook looked up at me, watching with a confused expression as I blushed and looked at the man. “Seokjin?”

                Jungkook sat down in one of the wooden chairs surrounding the small dining table, and I followed suit, taking a seat next to Seokjin as he sat across from the two of us.

                Seokjin smiled slightly. “Namjoon, you never told me you took care of Jungkook.”

                I smiled back. “Well, you never told me you were the Mr. Kim he talked about so much. He really looks up to you.”

                His face flushed a bright red, making me laugh slightly. He was still so adorable when he was flustered.

                Jungkook looked up from his practically untouched breakfast, a look of dread on his face. “Y- You guys like each other, don’t you?”

                I looked over at him, my smile falling. “Jungkook, I’m sorry…”

                He stood up, shaking his head. Quietly, he mumbled, “I’ll be in my room,” and walked out.

                Jin looked at me. “Is he okay?”

                I shook my head, taking his hands in my own. “His parents, Seokjin. They told you, right?”

                He nodded slowly. “Y- Yeah…”

                Quietly, I leaned over and kissed him, smiling slightly. “Seokjin, why are you here?”

                He averted his gaze, throwing his arms around me and sobbing. “Namjoon, Jaehwan s- saw it. He hates me and wants me to leave. I- I want to leave.”

                A thousand thoughts filled my mind at once, all shouting for me to voice them out loud. I stuttered, “I- What- No- Seokjin…”

                He tightened his embrace, burying his head in my shoulder. “I can’t go back, Namjoon! He hates me…”

                I put my arms around him, pulling him close. “No… Don’t leave. Please. Stay here, with us! Jungkook won’t mind, I’m sure. But I- I can’t see you leave. I don’t want to lose anyone else…”

                He looked up at me, eyes shining bright with tears. Wordlessly, he pressed his lips against mine. I melted into his embrace, holding him tightly.

                When he finally pulled way, he sighed sadly. “Namjoon, come with me.”

                “Wh- What?”

                He looked up at me pleadingly. “I want you to come with me. T- Together, we can run away. Please. I can’t live here anymore. It feels like every day without getting to be with you is another day where I’m slowly dying. Please, come with me!”

                I shook my head, thinking back to my parents. “Seokjin. You’re risking your life when you do this… You can’t, please! M- My parents… Jungkook’s parents… Please… That can’t happen to you.”

                I felt my voice crack as I pulled him into another kiss, holding his face on either side.

                It felt so right, being here with Seokjin.

                But him running away…

                “You can’t.”

                He smiled sadly, pressing a kiss onto my nose softly. “I have to. If I risk my life, it would be so that I would finally get that life back. I don’t want to stay here another day without you.”

                “Please…”

                “I have to go, Namjoon.”

                He stood up, pulling me into one last embrace. As he did, he whispered into my ear. “If you want to come find me, follow the sunset, okay?”

                I nodded, kissing him quickly and passionately. “I- I love you… Please be careful.”

                He nodded, smiling sadly. “Will you come?”

                I shook my head, pointing in the direction Jungkook had stalked off in. “Nah, I have to take care of Jungkook until he’s old enough to live alone. I’m sorry, Seokjin.”

                His shoulders slumped, and he squeezed my hand softly before letting go and turning to walk out of the house. He turned around, giving me one last glance. “I love you, too, by the way.”

Jin’s PoV.

                As I walked away, I heard quick footsteps and a small voice. “Mr. Kim!”

                I turned around to see Jungkook running towards me, breathing heavily. “Mr. Kim, l- let me come with you!”

                I smiled at the young boy sadly. “Namjoon needs you here, though.”

                He shook his head. “Namjoon will come when he sees we’re both gone. And I want to leave. P- Please… I heard your conversation… I want to go!”

                I looked around. The streets were still deserted, although the time to begin commuting to people’s respective occupations was drawing near. Quickly, I nodded, grabbing his wrist and breaking into a quick run.

                “We need to get out of here… Before anyone sees.”

                Jungkook nodded, struggling slightly to keep up, but still keeping pace.

Jungkook’s PoV.

                It took a while, and by the time we made it, I could barely breathe. But it was worth it.

                Jin smiled at me, his face red from exhaustion. “Jungkook, we made it.

                “We’re finally free.”