008: Min Yoongi's Fall

Matchless Love

Yoongi’s PoV.

                They had done it. They had kissed.

                They weren’t supposed to do that.

                Seokjin was supposed to fall in love with Jaehwan. Namjoon wasn’t supposed to fall in love at all.

                Then again, so few people did what they were supposed to do.

                Dammit, why did you have to do this? I don’t want to hurt you.

                I stare at the screen in shock, still not comprehending completely.

                Jaehwan stands there, sobbing. This is not good.

                I don’t want to hurt them. But I have to.

                Or they’ll do it again.

                “Yoongi, d- don’t let them hurt you, okay?”

                “No. Leave me alone!”

                I try my best to block out his voice.

                The voice of Kim Taehyung.

                It comes back, more urgent this time.

                “Yoongi, they’re catching up. W- We won’t make it. You need to run, Yoongi. So they don’t hurt you. Please.”

                “Leave Taetae out of this! I- It’s not his fault!” I screamed.

                “Yoongi!”

                I screamed.

                And then the memories came.

                “Oh, Yoongi! Who is this?”

                I smiled sadly, showing Taehyung the toddler clinging to my hand. “Th- This is Jungkook. My… son.”

                He squealed excitedly, kneeling down to the boy. “Jungkook, I’m going to call you Jungkookie, okay?”

                The boy nodded, smiling. “Okay! Jungkookie~” He said, smiling. “I like that nickname!”

                Taehyung laughed, giving the boy a small hug. With Jungkook not able to see his face, he looked up at me sadly.

                “Jungkook, go find your mother, okay? I want to talk to Taehyung for a while…”

                “Okay!” He said excitedly. “Bye bye, Taehyung!”

                As he ran off, I looked at Taehyung. “Sh- She wanted a son …”

                He hugged me sadly. “You feel bad. Don’t. He’s beautiful, Yoongi.”

                “I- I didn’t tell you soon enough. One year of us together like this, and I never told you. H- He’s so precious, but I don’t want to raise him with my Match. I want to raise him with you…”

                “Yoongi, look at me.” I looked up, lower lip quivering slightly. “Do you love me?”

                I nodded quickly. “More than anyone else.”

                “Then don’t worry. I love you, too. Okay?” He pulled me into a hug.

                I sniffled slightly. “I want us to be happy. I… I want us to be together.”

                “Then let’s run away, Yoongi. Just you and me. In the forest, I heard stories about a place where people escaped to. And the Society doesn’t bother them there.”

                I shook my head, tears slipping out of my eyes. “I can’t. I can’t leave Jungkook. I love him. He’s still my son, no matter what.”

                Taehyung sighed. “Okay… I’ll stay here. For you. So you can see your son grow up.”

                I smiled, moving to kiss him when I heard a small voice behind me.

                “D- Dad…? Taehyung? Wh- What…” Jungkook stared at us, eyes wide.

                We pulled out of the hug, looking down at him.

                Taehyung plastered on a smile and went over to Jungkook, picking him off the ground and putting him on his shoulders. “Jungkookie, you love your dad, right?”

                He nodded, looking down at me, still trying to understand. “Y- Yes… Why?”

                “Jungkook,” I said softly. “Sometimes, the Society might make mistakes.”

                “But we learned in school that they’re always right?”

                I smiled sadly. “See, they made a mistake in saying that they were always right. Your mother and I… We are one of the mistakes they made. Putting us together as a Match.”

                Jungkook looked down at Taehyung. “And Taehyung was supposed to be yours?”

                I nodded. “But Jungkookie, no matter what, I still love you, okay?”

                He nodded, smiling. “Okay! I want to tell all my friends! There really are mistakes!”

                Taehyung’s eyes widened, taking Jungkook down from his back and putting him on the ground. “No, no, you can’t!”

                “Wh- What? Why?”

                Taehyung smiled one of his childish smiles I loved so much. “It’s- It’s a game! If you keep this a secret forever, you win!”

                “Really?” Jungkook’s eyes widened, a smile spreading across his face. “Okay! I can do that!”

                I looked at Taehyung, smiling and kissing his nose happily. “Thank you,” I whispered, watching as Jungkook continued to talk about how good he was at keeping secrets.

                He laughed, a sound that made my heart beat faster than anything else in the world. “Always,” he said quietly.

                “Stop!” I scream. I am on the floor again, curled into a ball with tears streaming down my face. “M- Make it stop… Jungkookie, I’m sorry!”

                “Min Yoongi. You have been convicted of being unfaithful to your Match, which the Society so generously gave to you. Furthermore, you proceeded to abandon your Match and son, and then ran away with Kim Taehyung.”

                I struggled in the seat they had put me in. “L- Let me go! Where’s Taehyung? Taehyung, wh- what did you do with him?!”

                Without responding, the man continued to speak. I would get to know him well in the next few years, watching him calm me down after the memories flooded into my mind again. “As punishment for this, your Match has been executed.”

                “No.”

                “Furthermore, your son, Jungkook, will be told that both of you have perished, and be put under someone else’s custody.”

                “N- No! Not Jungkookie, don’t hurt him!”

                “As for Kim Taehyung…”

                I screamed, not wanting to hear what they said.

                “We’ll let you think of what could be happening to him. His match, Jung Hoseok, has already been executed along with yours.”

                I continued to scream and yell for three hours afterwards, until my throat was raw and hoarse. I didn’t even know if Taehyung was alive, or if the Society had killed him, or if they had captured him at all.

                I sobbed, hanging my head down. “T- Taetae… No…”

                I am sobbing now, too. I continue to say his name, hoping that he will hear me. That my Taehyung will come back and save me from my room of computers, where I was seldom granted permission to leave.

                “D- Don’t hurt my Taetae… Don’t hurt Jungkook…”

                The man returned after I had been in the same chair for days, alternately screaming and crying. I had finally quieted down, and he approached me with an offer.

                “You will forget everything that happened between you and Taehyung. You won’t remember Jungkook at all. It will all seem like it happened to someone else.”

                “Wh- What’s the catch?”

                He grinned. Or at least, it appeared to be a grin. I could not see under his mask. “Your job here will be to stop any other Matches from going astray.

                “If you fail, your memories will return, and you’ll be sent to execute those involved with whatever happens. If you keep everything in order, then you won’t need to live with the pain of the past.”

                “No. No, I won’t give up my memories to help you monsters.”

                Memories were all I had left of Kim Taehyung.

                I was not going to give that up.

                But I didn’t have much of a choice, did I?

                They took those memories anyways.

                And now I had failed.