"We"

Seasons

 

“Buzz buzz buzz buzz”

The alarm on the bedside table started ringing, louder and louder surrounding the whole room with its annoying sound. The sunlight started evading the small gaps in between the blinds placed on the huge window, finally the sun decided to show off its glory after yesterday’s sudden downpour. Though it was a good morning indeed Taekwoon woke up with a groan; annoyingly rubbing his eye to help adjust himself from the harsh attack of the sudden blinding light. After getting his head out from sleep he finally realized that Wonshik was sleeping next to him, their faces just a few inches apart, their bodies almost entangled together. Taekwoon froze; his eyes widely opened; sleep already drained from his body. His brain stirred awake and started sending waves and waves of thoughts trying hard to recall last night’s events. “But Wonshik slept in his room. Right?”

After a minute, Wonshik woke up from sound of the alarm that was still buzzing on the background. “Good morning Taek.” The blond greeted with a huge yawn as if waking up next to his best friend with his arms wrapped around the other’s waist, lips almost touching from their close proximity was just another normal occurrence. Still not recovering from his confusion, poor Taekwoon failed to form a coherent reply but Wonshik brushed it off coolly and instead pulled Taekwoon’s head against his chest and reached for the alarm to finally silence it down. “Fifteen more minutes. Okay?” Wonshik asked tiredly as he placed his chin above Taekwoon’s head. Taekwoon couldn’t do anything but agree so he just nodded a little, thankful that he was pressed against Wonshik tightly so the blonde couldn’t see the huge blush he was sure was now on his pale white face.

True to his words, Wonshik finally let go of Taekwoon after fifteen minutes. Unknown to the latter, Wonshik was never really asleep the whole time, with a huge smile across the blonde’s  face he took in all of Taekwoon’s sweet minty scent and indulged himself with the pleasure of feeling Taekwoon’s fist nervously gripping his shirt and his head laid against his chest. But damn! It was the most excruciating fifteen minutes for Taekwoon; with his heart pounding like crazy. Wonshik slowly got up and started stretching his limbs. “Breakfast?” He innocently asked with a bright victorious grin. Taekwoon just nodded shyly in agreement.

With Wonshik busy making breakfast at the kitchen, Taekwoon went to the dining area. As he wiped down the dining table, the exchange of harsh words last night began replaying on his head. The loud angry slam of a fist hitting the table still rang clearly against his ears. He painfully gripped the edges of the table, its pristine untainted white color mocked him.

“Taek. Sorry. I hope you don’t mind some burnt toasts.” Wonshik placed the plate of food on the table, he laughed awkwardly to diffuse the silence but his voice was masked with worry. He knew what his best friend was thinking.

“It’s fine.” Taekwoon lied. Nothing’s fine. It’s not okay. He’s not okay. But like any other day, they will choose to forget what happened. Wonshik will act like normal; Taekwoon will avoid the issue and will lie to himself once again. Both using the same practiced smile when things go wrong; when it was better to pretend than to face the truth. Wonshik knew they’d be okay. Taekwoon hoped they’d be alright.  Best friends once again. Best friends. Just best friends.

They shared their meal together like the usual; with Wonshik happily talking about random things while Taekwoon listened and nodded a few times. He would also share a few comments here and there but never really opening a new topic for conversation. He was never good at communicating anyway. Always too silent, too secretive, too aloof. But Wonshik never pointed it out and never pushed him to do anything he didn’t want. Maybe it was one of the reasons why Taekwoon felt at ease with Wonshik. Maybe it was the reason why Wonshik reminded him of calming serene springs, of slow bobbing waves in the vast blue ocean. Wonshik feels like home. Wonshik is home. Taekwoon concluded.

After their meal, Taekwoon started doing the dishes while Wonshik sat on the kitchen isle. His eyes boring holes on Taekwoon’s back as he observed his best friend like a fine painting on display. They stayed in silence. Loving the silence is one of the little things they shared. It was never awkward. Never overbearing. Silence was always a comforting concept between them.

Taekwoon was almost done with the dishes when his phone started vibrating. Wonshik grabbed his phone from the dining table and unlocked the passcode with ease. He and Wonshik had the same passcode so either of them can unlock each other’s phone without problem. It was Wonshik who suggested this and Taekwoon accepted without hesitation. He had nothing to hide and it was only Wonshik and some of their common friends who would text or call him anyway. And of course, Wonshik had the right to use his phone every now and then. It was really weird when Taekwoon thought about it one day. He wondered if best friends normally throw out their own privacy when it comes to each other. Maybe not. But he guessed it doesn’t even matter.

“Taek. An unknown number texted you. It says 2 blocks from disgustingly pink flower shop with grumpy old mother goose. Silverspoon Café. Excellent coffee and blueberry cheesecake. Relaxing ambiance. Handsome barista with great fun stories. Guaranteed happiness. “ Taekwoon laughed a little when he heard the cheesy text message. He covered his mouth with the back of his hand to stifle the noise. With the line “Handsome barista” alone he already knew who it was. Though they had only met yesterday, Hongbin was the only crazy guy who would say such things.  Wonshik stared at Taekwoon quizzically for a moment. “Hmm. Maybe someone mistakenly sent it to you.” Wonshik knew everyone of Taekwoon’s friends and he made sure only those he knew had the right to text his best friend. Everyone on Taekwoon’s contact list were also saved on his phone. It was weird, scary and kinda what a stalker would do. But who cares anyway. He won’t let anyone touch what’s his. But alas! After all his effort, there was one stupid sly guy who was able to trick Taekwoon into getting his number last night. . I’m going to block that bastard.

“We should just delete it. I’ll delete the number too. Yeah? Hmm… Maybe we should block the number to make sure. We don’t need any weird spam messages.” The blonde suggested. It was like Wonshik to always use the pronoun “we” when it comes to Taekwoon. The blonde had always treated themselves as each other’s halves. It was never just Wonshik. It was never just Taekwoon. It was always we and us. That is why when Taekwoon protested with a loud clear reverberating no, Wonshik was taken aback by surprise and a hint of betrayal. “We can just let it be. Maybe it’s from someone we know who changed his number. If not, it will stop if I don’t text back right? Taekwoon added nervously. His voice quivering a little when he noticed Wonshik’s angry gaze.

“Oh. Okay.” Wonshik replied with a smile while his hand underneath the table was balled into a tight painful fist. Taekwoon heaved a sigh in relief. “Oh. Right. We’re going out for lunch with Mia later. I saw this new restaurant near the shopping district and it had great reviews. They specialize in Asian cuisines and I heard they have the best gelato for dessert. You’re going to love it for sure.” Wonshik informed after calming himself down. Taekwoon was not surprise at all. He’s already used to being dragged along on Wonshik’s dates. “But I thought Mia didn’t like Asian cuisines? And she doesn’t like gelatos right?” Taekwoon said while carefully placing their mugs on the cupboard. Funny that he knew Mia more than her actual boyfriend. “But you love Asian food and gelatos. What’s the problem?” The blonde replied in his sulky tone. “But Wonshik. “ Taekwoon whined. Wonshik just chuckled in reply and stood up from his seat and proceeded to walk towards the bathroom to take a shower. “Nope. No more buts. We are going there. Don’t worry Taek. It’s Wonshik oppa’s treat.” The blonde teased earning a flying pillow thrown to his face by a cute blushing Taekwoon.

Soon the dreadful lunch came. The two males entered the restaurant with elegance; all eyes on them like they were runway models or even some royalty who just walked in a grand ball. Though they were wearing their casual clothes, it looked like it came straight from a fashion magazine. Taekwoon was wearing a simple navy blue shirt. It was a little too big for him; the collar was too wide. His beautiful creamy white neck and collarbone was on display. His ripped skinny denim jeans hugged his perfectly shaped long thighs accentuating every delicious curve. Wonshik had his hand firmly placed on the other’s waist. He had a huge smirk on his face like a proud possessive boyfriend. He knew everyone would do anything just to stand beside the beauty that was Taekwoon. The blonde even laughed a little when he saw the waiter almost slipping from staring at Taekwoon too much. Though Taekwoon was clearly ethereal, Wonshik was not lagging behind Taekwoon’s looks. He was wearing a simple white shirt paired with black skinny jeans; with his hair styled neatly everyone would think that he was an actor who came straight from his photo shoot.

“Reservation under Kim Wonshik and Kim Taekwoon.” Wonshik informed the man in the suit that came to greet them. “Wonshik. What do you mean by Kim Taekwoon?!” Taekwoon whispered but the embarrassment and reprimand in his tone was recognizable. “Oh. You must be brothers?” The guy on the suit asked trying to make small talk while guiding both men to their table. Wonshik just tsked and smirked at the question. Taekwoon blushed even more. The man looked curiously at them for a moment then proceeded to clear his throat. “You’re a very handsome pair of siblings. Dashing even. Oh. And Miss Lee is already waiting for you at your table. I hope you enjoy your time here.” Taekwoon simply smiled and bowed to thank the man.

“Sorry we’re late Mia.” Wonshik greeted his girlfriend while pulling a sit to offer to Taekwoon before sitting beside him afterwards. It was a very gentlemanly gesture. Mia simply rolled her eyes at the disgustingly sweet scene, irritation visible on her raised perfectly drawn eyebrow. “That’s okay. I didn’t wait long.” Mia faked smiled. Of course she waited long. She waited for almost half an hour on their table only to find out the reservation was under the name ing Kim Wonshik and Kim Taekwoon. She laid her eyes on Taekwoon and smiled at him as well. What a trash. Disgusting clingy dirty . She cursed to herself fighting the urge to slap the beautiful man sitting beside his boyfriend. “Good afternoon. I’m John and I will be of service for you today. Here are our menus. Please see anything you would like. May I suggest you try our Dungeness Crab Pie with braised apples and meyer lemon crème fraiche? We get great reviews for them.” The poised man informed while handing the beautifully presented menus to the three. “Oh that would be lovely. I love crabs.” Mia beamed looking at Wonshik with cute eyes to catch his attention but it seemed that her boyfriend was too busy examining the menu to even notice. “Okay. I’ll have the same.” The blonde said nonchalantly. “Oh look Taek. They have Japanese Lacquered Salmon. You like salmon right?” Wonshik grinned in excitement while looking at his best friend for approval. Taekwoon simply nodded. “Okay then. We’ll have two Dungeness crab pie and one lacquered salmon. We’ll also have the wine pairings. That would be all for now. Thanks John.” Wonshik ordered with ease while smiling at Taekwoon and not at her now sulking girlfriend. The atmosphere sure was awkward even John the waiter could feel the anger and tension coming from the young lady sitting across the two men. “That’s a lovely choice Sir.” John commented but his eyes were clearly on Taekwoon. “It’s not polite to stare at your guest John.” Wonshik whispered to the waiter after noticing. The poor man bowed in embarrassment and quietly walked away. 

Their orders came in a timely manner and soon enough the three were engulf in small talks and light conversation. Well it was mostly Mia asking some questions while Wonshik answered most of them. Taekwoon simply smiled and nodded. “Oh you’re going to start going to the University next week right? Are you excited?” Mia asked, her eyes are on her boyfriend. “Yeah. Taekwoon and I will be attending the same University. We’re excited but a little nervous. Right Taek?” Wonshik answered while smiling at Taekwoon. There he goes again with the “we”. The silent man shyly nodded in agreement. “Oh wait. You have something on your lips.” Wonshik leaned forward and wiped his best friend’s lips tenderly with his thumb. “Such a messy eater.” Wonshik chuckled as he the white sauce from his thumb. Mia just stared at them in utter disbelief and disgust. Her patience is now wearing thin. She purposely knocked down her glass of water so it could spill on Wonshik’s clothes. “Sorry babe. Oh my gosh. I’m really sorry. Are you drenched? I’m really sorry.” The girl faked panic feigning innocence. “It’s okay. I’ll just go to the bathroom. Please excuse me for a minute.” The blonde said and excused himself from the table. Now it was only Taekwoon and Mia sitting face to face. Exactly like what Mia had planned. The silent man didn’t mind though. He was already used to spending some time with Wonshik’s girlfriend alone. But what came as a surprise was what Mia started spouting.

“Listen here you disgusting clingy !” Taekwoon was taken aback unable to respond to the verbal attack. “Wonshik is my boyfriend. You clinging to him like a make me want to throw up. Stop it with those fake ‘oh I’m just a good best friend’ act. I know you like Wonshik more than that. I bet you imagine him wrapping his arms around you. Trailing kisses into your ugly chapped lips. Disgusting! You know what? That will never happen. I had it with you always coming along. You’re so revolting. I can’t even look at you without feeling sick. Piece of trash. ! Get out of my way!” Taekwoon started shaking, his head bowed down from shame. His tears were already welling up in his eyes. He couldn’t say anything. He couldn’t fight back. He was choking on nothing. The air suddenly became so thin it suffocated him.

When Mia saw Wonshik walking toward their table, she straightened up in her seat and grinned at Taekwoon like nothing happened. Wonshik looked at Taekwoon confusedly when he saw his best friend hunched back. He placed his hand on Taekwoon’s back, rubbing small circles. He’s trembling. “Hey Taek. What’s the matter? Are you feeling sick? Are you okay?” Using all his might to hold back his tears, Taekwoon nodded and faced Wonshik. “Uhm.. I’m.. not feeling well Wonshik. Sorry. I’ll go ahead.” The beautiful man replied, his voice quivering. Wonshik just looked at him with wide eyes. He noticed his best friend’s glassy black irises. Something happened while he was away. Taekwoon was clearly holding back his tears. The thought made Wonshik furious but he tried to keep his cool to not make a scene. “I’ll drive you back. Let’s go.” Wonshik was already pulling Taekwoon to stand up. Taekwoon gripped Wonshik’s wrist to stop the blonde man. “Please don’t Wonshik. Please stop. I’ll go ahead.” Taekwoon stood up and bowed to the girl who just slandered him without feeling a single ounce of guilt. Wonshik stood in shock as he watched his best friend walk away. “Oh. Poor guy. He told me he wasn’t feeling well even before you came here. Must be tired from moving to the new apartment.” Mia commented, feeling victorious that at last the pest was gone. “SHUT UP!” came the loud angry yell from Wonshik. Everyone was looking at them now. He didn’t want to make a scene but it was obvious his girlfriend had something to do with the way Taekwoon acted. “What did you say Mia?” The girl nervously defended herself. “What? I didn’t say anything. Do you think it was my fault?” The blonde glared at her. His eyes screaming murder. “Just tell me what did you ing say to Taekwoon.” Instead of answering, the girl stayed silent which made Wonshik angrier. “What did you ing say to Taekwoon?!” Wonshik half yelled, stressing every word while gripping the forks tightly in his balled fists. “Fine! I said he was a disgusting ! He was clinging to you like a . It’s nauseating Wonshik. So I.. I.. I just….” The girl explained, his words came like bullets spewing from fear. Wonshik clenched his teeth as he pinched the bridge of his nose, trying to calm himself down then he started laughing like a mad man. Mia smiled nervously thinking that he had won this round.

“Hahahaha. You must be kidding me. ! You know who’s disgusting? YOU! You Mia. You’re disgusting. . I couldn’t believe this. ! This is hilarious!” Wonshik looked at her with a dark menacing look; anger still visible in his eyes. Mia’s mouth was slightly open from shock and utter disbelief. “Do you think I don’t know that you’d been stealing from me and giving it to your pot head boyfriend? ! YOU’RE A ING TRASH! I just stayed with you so no one would know I am a disgusting who loves clinging to his best friend like a in heat. That’s right you pig. I’m the disgusting . I had always been in love with my best friend. He is far more elegant and beautiful than you.”

Mia slapped Wonshik, leaving a red hand print on the blonde’s face. “You’re disgusting! Do you think you can get away with this? I will ruin your life! You’ll be a laughing stock at the University even before you enter. And Taekwoon? I’ll make sure he would rather die than live a life of hell with you. ing fagots!”

Wonshik looked at her nonchalantly as if the threat had no bite to them. “Tsk. Are you sure about that Mia?” He smirked. “Hmm… You can do whatever you want but I’ll make sure you and your boyfriend will go to prison for stealing my money and smuggling drugs. Oh believe me I have proof. You wouldn’t want that, would you? I bet you wouldn’t look good in that orange baggy uniform. It will make you look even fatter than you are now. Ugh. That’s nasty.” The blonde said in a challenging tone but his eyes were nothing Mia had seen before. It was filled with anger so fierce the poor girl had to hold her breath. She was now visibly shaking from fear. “Hmmm… Or you can simply shut the hell up about this whole situation and just walk away. Simple and easy right? Even your miniscule brain can understand that right baby?”

“ YOU” Mia yelled in response, still she was shaken with fear and tears were now slowly trailing down on her cheeks.

“Oh! No thank you. I’d rather my best friend. Sorry babe.” Wonshik smirked and stood up. He leaned forward, an evil grin plastered on his face. He whispered to his now clearly ex-girlfriend’s ear sending shivers down her spine.  “You better not blow your chance Mia.” He started then came a small tsked and a slight chuckle. “But what do I expect you were never good at blowing anyway. That mouth of yours is just too damn nasty. Here buy your boyfriend some coke with my spare change. I hope I never see you again. Okay baby?” Wonshik walked away coolly after placing thousands of bills on the table like nothing happened.

 

 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'm really sorry for the late update. (ಥ﹏ಥ)

It's been kinda hard for me to write for the past months. I'm really sorry. (ಥ﹏ಥ)