Waves

Seasons

 

The graduation ceremony was held at their school's football field. Hakyeon, Taekwoon and Wonshik marched down the stage and got their diplomas. The cold and chilly air had filled the night, but the three graduates together with their maknae Hyuk decided to go to the beach after the ceremony, the usual place where they hangout and celebrate. They rented a small cabin near the shore. There, they started sharing stories from their past, alcohol sliding down their system as the hour passed. Hyuk, of course was only allowed to drink orange juice thanks to the responsible Hakyeon hyung. It was only 11:00 when their words started to sound like a slur. Hakyeon soon passed out, head gently laid down on the sleeping maknae’s lap. Wonshik abruptly got up and held his hand for Taekwoon to help pull him up. “Let’s go to the beach Taek. Wanna see the stars.” The blonde man said. Taekwoon, without hesitation, reached out for Wonshik and complied. A few minutes later they finally reached the beach. The strong waves were rolling down, gently crushing the shoreline; the powdery sand glistened under the pale moonlight. The two best friends quietly sat close together, both looking up at the stars, mesmerized by the beautiful scattered glow.

“Congratulations Mr. Valedictorian, my Taekwoonie.” Wonshik said with a smirk cutting down the silence of the night. “Congratulations to you too Mr. Second Place” The other man teased back with the same smirk. In a matter of minutes both males were engulfed in a fit of laughter and giggles. Wonshik’s eyes were focusing more on his best friend’s face, the way his beautifully white skin shines under the pale moonlight, the way his eyes slant a little every time he laughs, the way his cheeks gets accentuated with every spoken word, and the way his pinkish lips curves up at every smile as if wanting to pull him closer; his heart started beating faster and faster begging to press his own lips on those soft sultry pink. The alcohol running down his bloodstream made him abandon his willpower to resist. Wonshik moved his head dangerously close; the sound of the waves crushing never reaching his ears, his mind was once again at lost for words with the beautiful man before him. Taekwoon moved back a little, terrified from the way Wonshik eyes him like a prey. “Won..shik..” He softly called out, his voice quivering a little from nervousness. Instead of snapping out from his thoughts, Wonshik’s mind started to blur, his heart pounding loudly when he heard his name escaping from Taekwoon’s seductive lips. He grabbed Taekwoon by the arm, unconsciously gripping it a little too tightly, afraid that the other man would escape from his grasp. Taekwoon couldn’t speak, his words were stolen from the heat of the moment. Their lips almost touching. Almost.

The blonde man finally snapped out when he heard his phone ringing. He reached for his phone but his grip was still on Taekwoon’s arm. “Tsk” Wonshik hissed when he saw the caller ID. “Hello Mia?” He answered. Taekwoon couldn’t do anything but stare at the ground; he couldn’t escape since the latter was still holding him down; his heart was sinking at every word Wonshik so lovingly spoke to his girlfriend over the phone. “I love you” He heard Wonshik said to Mia, but unknown to him, Wonshik was staring at him as he said those three words.

After the call ended, Taekwoon finally looked up, he placed his hand over Wonshik’s own that was gripping his arm. He fought hard the urge to just hold the other man’s hand but he decided he couldn’t, he shouldn’t; so he gently removed Wonshik's hand away. He stood up, brushing the sand that clung to his clothes. “Please let’s go back Wonshik.” Taekwoon said with a fake smile, towering over Wonshik. He didn’t know what he was referring to as the words “go back” gently rolled down his tongue. Did he simply want to go back to the cabin to cry his eyes out? Or did he want to go back to the time when all he wanted was friendship from the other man? Did he want to go back to the time when his feelings were still safe from this muddy abyss that he had fallen to? “Go back” “Go back” the words kept going down his throat, stabbing him over and over. He slowly walked away, never turning his head, afraid that tears might fall. “Taek. I’m sorry. I’m sorry” Wonshik said as he pulled Taekwoon by the hand to stop him from walking out. Sorry for what Wonshik? Are your repeated apologies for failing to return my feelings? Sorry for getting my hopes up once again? Sorry for what Wonshik?! Taekwoon halted for a while. “It’s okay Wonshik. Let’s go.” He said, his back still facing Wonshik. It hurt him even more when he felt Wonshik’s hand let him go, warm fingertips ghosting over his palm.

Taekwoon looked up at the sky, allowing himself to finally cry, the pain was becoming unbearable. Waves of emotions were crushing down on him. Let’s go back Wonshik. Please let’s go back.