Summer

Seasons

During the summer of their junior high, Wonshik had his first girlfriend. He excitedly told Taekwoon about it over the phone wanting his best friend to be the first person to know about it. “Wow! That’s great Wonshik. I’m happy for you.” Taekwoon said as he clenched the phone tightly in his hold, tears rolling down his face. They began seeing each other less and less. Wonshik was with her girlfriend most of the time. Taekwoon spent his days with their set of friends, but would always come home alone, missing the company of his best friend.

It was also one night in summer, before the leaves turned amber, Wonshik climbed up to Taekwoon’s window. Taekwoon was startled when he heard soft knocks. When he opened it he saw Wonshik so he quickly ushered him inside. Taekwoon could recognize the strong smell of alcohol and cigarettes as Wonshik’s body leaned on him. “Hey what happened?” He carefully asked, noticing his best friend’s red puffy eyes. “We broke up Taek. She said… She said… I was a horrible boyfriend.. Hahaha… I’m a fool… I’m so pathetic.” Wonshik said, laughing but tears were falling down his eyes. “Hey.. It’s okay.. It’s okay Wonshik. Just rest here okay. I’ll go get another mattress.” Taekwoon said, not knowing how to reply to Wonshik. He quickly got up and was about to open the door when he felt strong hands encircling his waist. Wonshik’s face unbearably close to his. “Wonshik. What are you doing?” Taekwoon asked in a panic. “Hmm… But you’re better than her. I love you and you love me too right? You’ll never leave me. Right Taek?” Wonshik said in a quivering voice, his words in a slur from the alcohol running through his system. Taekwoon stiffened. He pried Wonshik’s hand away from his waist and faced his best friend. “You’re drunk Won…” He was about to retort but his words were taken from him when soft lips touched his. His eyes widened from the sudden contact. He backed down but Wonshik moved forward not breaking the kiss. Taekwoon was backed to the door, slowly giving in to the heat with Wonshik sliding his tongue to his mouth like they were sweet candy. Their kiss turned heated, only pulling apart when their shortness of breath became agonizingly painful. Taekwoon could taste the bitter alcohol in Wonshik’s mouth reminding him that this was a mistake. He knew better than to kiss back but his feelings got the better of him. He melted into every touch. Wonshik’s voice resonating within him like a command he couldn’t break. He let himself indulge in the sin. With hooded eyes he watched Wonshik peppering kisses to his neck. “So beautiful my Taekwoon-ah.” Wonshik repeatedly whispered to his ear.

When the sun had already risen up, Taekwoon woke up alone on his bed. Not even as single remnant of Wonshik entering his room was found. It was as if his best friend was never there. He paced back and forth, holding onto his phone waiting for the other man to call him. But the call never came, so he took the initiative to take the first step. With shaking hands, he dialed Wonshik’s number. “Hi Taek! What’s up?” Wonshik greeted when their line finally connected. “Uhm.. about… about last night.” Taekwoon started. “Oh! Sorry Taek. I was so drunk last night I can’t even remember anything.” Wonshik immediately replied. Wonshik slid down the wall, head bowed down from guilt. “Oh. Okay. Drink plenty of water.” Taekwoon replied. Wonshik could clearly hear his best friend’s quivering voice. For the years they had spent together he knew too well what Taekwoon felt. “Okay. Thank you Taek. I’m sorry.” Was all that he could say. After the call, Taekwoon curled in his bed, stifling his cries. Wonshik remained crouched down, stream of tears falling from his eyes. Like the hot summer that was slowly fading away, both males decided to bury the memory of that night with it.  

 

Months passed since the incident, everything turned back to normal. A few women came to Wonshik’s life but Taekwoon never left his side. Unlike the first time he had a girlfriend, Wonshik made sure to spend his time with his best friend. Every time Wonshik had a date, he dragged Taekwoon with him. They were like a one big package; a shadow of each other. “You know Wonshik. There’s one thing common from all your exes.” Hakyeon, one of their friends, suddenly brought up one morning when they were hanging out. Wonshik just answered with a hum. “They all have black hair, piercing eyes and soft voice.” Hakyeon added. “Yeah! They look almost like Taekwoon hyung.” Hyuk, their youngest friend, from out of the blue suddenly interjected. “What… cough cough.. what are you saying… cough.. cough… that’s not true!” Wonshik countered, almost choking from the water he was drinking.