FOUR-Oh-Four

We Were In Love

 

When Brian said he is engaged, you did feel hurt. Now that his fiancee is here in the office, you feel uneasy. She is a bright person. It seems like every staff likes her. She came with boxes of pizza for the staffs.
You found out later than everyone that the company you're working in is owned by Brian's father. From what you heard, Brian wanted to start from the bottom. However, his father did not want him to be other's servant so executive editor was Brian's only option.
"Hey, there. Eat more, there's still a lot left." His fiancee says. You smile and nod as a response. You only ate a piece to be polite.
"Jihyun, I've an urgent appointment after lunch. I should've told you earlier, sorry."
"It's alright. I only came to look how your workplace looks like. Are you leaving?" Jihyun has her arm around Brian's waist. The male staffs start to throw random silly jokes to the couple because of their public display of affection.
"I am. See you tonight." He pecks her forehead before lean in to kiss her lips. You look away. You're not sure what it is. But it hurts.
"Shin Yoori." He calls you.
"Yes?"
"Let's go."
You almost forget that you are supposed to meet client with him. You grab your stuffs before trailing him from behind.
"Where's the place again?" He asks,  tapping his fingers on the steering. He  glances at your face once before focus his eyes on road again. You read the address out loud for him.
"Wait. Isn't that place actually in Busan?"
"It is?!"
"Call Chansung." He instructs, getting impatient. You dial Chansung's number.
"So?" He asks as you hang up.
"It is. He said there's a mistake. He wrote the address wrongly. Do you want to cancel this appointment?" You ask. He puts on an earpiece. He's calling someone. He negotiates with Mr Kwon to postpone the appointment and meet tomorrow instead since he can't make it today.
"We are going to Busan? Now?"
He hums as an answer before switch to the lane that will direct the two of you to Busan.

 


 


"It's cold."
You turn you head to the direction of his voice. Brian crouches beside you,  who is sitting on the white sand with legs folded. The hotel you're staying at for the night is very close to the beach. It's only 5 minutes by walk. He suddenly lays down, looking at the clear night sky.
"There is no stars." You comment as you look up.


"There!" You pointed.
"Where? Where's the star?" He leaned closer to you.
"There! Can you see it? It's sparkling. Pretty, right?" You were awed.
"So pretty!!!" He exclaimed. You switched your sight from the sky to him because he sounded like he was teasing you.
"You are pretty! You're my star!" He pecked your lips. You smiled.
"It's late but I don't want to go home." You whined as you leaned your head on his shoulder.
"Then don't go home. Stay here with me." He laid his head on your lap. He closed his eyes.
"Oh my God, I found a sleeping beauty!" You said playfully. He chortled with his eyes closed.
"Kiss me, princess."
"Like this?" You kissed the tip of his nose.
"No."
"Then, this?" You kissed his forehead.
"Don't make me show you how." He warned you playfully. Both eyes still closed.
"Ah, I know. Like this!" You kissed his cheek. You squealed loudly when he suddenly lurched up to kiss you on the lips. He caught you off guard when he deepened the kiss. You quickly pulled away and smacked his shoulder.
"I told you we are too young for that kind of kiss!" Your face was red. He laughed.
"I'm sorry." He got back to his previous position on your lap. Younghyun twirled the end of your hair around his finger.
"I love your hair."
"Thanks. I love my hair too." You chuckled when he faked an annoying face. "Actually, I want to cut it. It's not easy to manage a long hair." Your hair was long, it reached your waist.
"No, don't! I love your hair long." He protested. "People say dramatic hair changes are a way of shedding the past and moving on."
"Really? Can you imagine me get a haircut every year if we ever break up? I'll cut my hair short in order to forget you but fail miserably. Then, the next year I'll get my hair cut again but fail to forget you again. The next next year, I'll cut it again. The next next next next year, I'll cut it again."
"Silly." He laughed.
"Silly? You don't get my point, Mister. I am trying to say that I'll never forget you even if I try."
"Let's say one day we break up. If you can't forget me, don't cut your hair. I'll try to get you back if I see you with long hair."
"Nonsense. It won't happen. We won't break up. Never."

"Liar." He mutters when he scans your back up and down. Your hair barely reaches your collarbone.
"Huh?" You turn around to look at him.  You think you heard him said something. You immediately regret your action. He is glaring at you.
"Are you happy?" He sits up. You frown. He is being mean again. He has been quite nice to you after that night.
"I don't know."
"You don't know? When you decided to break my heart, you should've be more sure about your future!  Why did you leave me who treasure you so much just to be treated like a worthless trash by that bastard? You should be happy! You should be with someone who can make you happy! Whatever. I don't want to give a damn about you anymore."
"Why did you keep mentioning about our past? Can we just act like nothing ever happened between us?"
"Of course, it's nothing but just something in the past for you. What do I expect from you?" He snickers, laying down on his back again.
"I don't want to remember anything from my past. Please. Let's forgive each other. Let's just wish for each other's happiness."
"Why should I wish you happiness when you’re the one who left me?"

 



"This is for you." Yeeun hands you a card.
"What is this?" You ask. 
"Invitation card to a ball. We are all invited by Brian's fiancee. It is organized by Lee Group."
"Oh, I see. I don't think I can make it. I usually spend my time with my sister on the weekends." You place the card on the table.
"Bring your sister along, then." A familiar voice can be heard.
"Yeah,  Brian is right. Bring your sister. And of course, come with your boyfriend." Yeeun says.
"No, thanks."
"Bring your sister. It's an order." He says before walking away. Yeeun suddenly squeals.
"That was super cool! It's an order. It's an order. It's an order. Awww, my heart flutters!"