TWO Wrongs Do Not Make A Right

We Were In Love

 

It has been a month since Brian joined the editorial department. He is professional when it comes to work but whenever he is alone with you, he'll do and say mean things. At first, you would beg him to stop and even cried when he was being too much. But then, you realize that's actually what he wants. He wants you to suffer. He actually finds it entertaining to see you being so weak. With that in mind, you've stopped giving any reaction to his words or actions. You pretend like you do not hear it when he says anything not related to work.
Of course, every hateful words from him hurt you deep inside. You always wonder what you've done to him. Honestly, you could've threw those hurtful words back to him. He was also at fault. But you haven't because it's all the past. There is no use to talk about it. It's not something you want to remember either.
"Yoori, can you give this file to Brian?" Yeeun places the file on your table before going to Wooyoung to discuss about something. You've no option but to send it to him. You let out a sigh.
You knock on the door. Once. Twice. Thrice.
"Come in."
You open the door slowly and enter the room. It's rather spacey with minimal decorations. He is browsing through some documents.
"Yeeun sunbaenim asked me to give you this file." You say softly, as if there is no energy left in your body. It's kind of true though.
"What? I can't hear you." He eyes you from head to toe. You suddenly feel insecure. You feel ugly under his stare. You look down before placing the files on his table.
"Sit down." He instructs.
"No, it's fine. I only came to give this file to you. It's from Yeeun."
"I have something to say to you. Sit down." He insists. You do as asked.
"Who's your boyfriend?"
"Excuse me?" You're bewildered by his question. Is he kidding? You open your mouth to say something but close it again because it just does not make sense. Why did he ask you that kind of question?
"It's none of your business." You are about to stand up when he clucks his tongue loudly. He points his forefinger at you,"Sit." You sigh
"Good." He says when you do not proceed your movement.
"Is he a jerk?" He asks again. "You always work overtime. Your phone never rings. You rarely use your phone."
"What do you want?" You ask with the monotone voice of yours. Your face devoid of any emotion. He is obviously making fun of you.
"I just want you to know what is going on in your life right now is called karma. What you give, you get back. You used to treat people like they were nothing but worthless piece of trash. Now, it's your time to feel like a worthless piece of trash." He spits the hurtful words with sarcastic smile.
"Are you done?" You ask. You can feel your face getting warm from embarrassment.
"Not yet. If I check your call logs, last call you got from a male must be from your dad, right? Just accept it, Yoori. He does not love you. Who would anyway?"
"That's too much..." You promised yoursef to not react to whatever he does to you but you could not help it. He is too much. It hurts you deeply. You are on the verge of tear when your phone rings. You pick up the call immeduately because it's from your neighbour. She never calls if it's not urgent.
"Hello, Madam Wang."
"Yoori, can you come to the hospital? Yoora involved in an accident." You suddenly feel like you can't breath. Your heart is pounding so hard. You breathe is getting heavier and rougher. You try to hold it in but fail.
"What's wrong?" There is concern in his voice. He could see your face getting pale and your hands are shaking badly. There's sudden rush of adrenaline in your body so you sprint out of the room to your table. You grab your handbag, running out of the office.
"What's going on?" Wooyoung asks.
"I don't know. I'll go and follow her." Brian rushes out of the building to follow you



"Don't worry, dear. She's fine. Only few scratches here and there." Madam Wang pats your back. She always take care of Yoori when you are not home. Yoori usually has her dinner at her place. Madam Wang does not have any children so she treats Yoora and you like her own daughters.
Yoora's boyfriend are sitting facing you. He does not look up though. He has been staring at the floor for a while. He is afraid you'll be mad at him. Yoora was with him when the accident happened. He is still in his school uniform.
"After she get her wound treated, she may go home already. She fainted because of the shock. Have you eaten?" She caresses your hair fondly. You shake your head. You don't feel like saying anything.
"I think you need to be alone to clear your mind.  Go and have dinner at a nice restaurant. I'll take Yoora home with me." She takes out her wallet.
"No, no. It's okay, madam. I can afford my own meal." You refuse to take her money.
"Okay, then."
"Thanks, madam. I really can't thank you enough. I'll get going. Thank you." You hug her before standing up from the seat that attached to the wall. It's selfish of you to leave your sister with her, you know. But if you see Yoora's face tonight, you're afraid you will cry again. You are not supposed to cry in front of her. You should be the strong one.
"Yoon Dowoon."
"Y-yes?" He stands up immediately. He is a lot taller than you. You pat his arm.
"I'm not mad at you. Go home. You've school tomorrow."
"I'm sorry again. I should have be more careful. I promise I'll be more careful next time." He vows with strong Busan accent. You smile at him.

 



You don't know Brian has been waiting for you outside the hospital. He hides behind a wall when he sees you walking to the exit. Once he is sure there's safe distance between you and him, he starts following you. He feels bad. He heard about your sister. He wanted to hear more but he was afraid he will get caught if he stayed near you and the rest longer.
You enter a convenient store. He hides, watching you secretly. Few minutes later, you come out with a black plastic bag. You sit on the seat provided in front of the store. The night is kind of cold.
You take out a bottle of soju from the plastic bag. You take a shot. Then, you let out a sigh. 45 minutes later, you are completely drunk. Your face is bright shade of red.
"Oh, !" He rushes toward you when you start downing the second bottle of soju. He snatches the bottle away. You whine.
"Stop drinking. You're already drunk." He sits in front of you.
"I'm saaaaad," you slurs. You look at him. Your eyes are out of focus, half-lidded. "I'm saaaad. Why no one understand me? Where's my boyfriend? I need my boyfriend!  Boyfrieeeend!" You burst into tears. Your body shakes.
"You should go home. Give me your phone." He holds out his hand to you. You wipe your cheeks with the back of your hands before happily place your hand on top of his palm.
"I said give me your phone, you idiot."
"WHY ARE YOU YELLING?!" You scream. He is startled by your sudden scream.
"I'm not, you idiot."
"STOP YELLING!"
He realizes there is no point talking to you at this state. He takes your phone.
"What's the password?" He asks. You suddenly burst into tears again.
"How could you... " you sob.
"What?"
"How could you forget?"
"What on earth are you saying? I never know the password!"
"It's 120907!"
"How am I supposed to know that?" He grunts. He keys in the password. He scrolls down your list of contact,  looking for your boyfriend's number. He found none. Then, he checks your calls log.
"Which one is his number?" The recent calls you received were from Madam Wang, Brian and Yoora.
"What are you doing?" You ask. You comes to sit beside him to look at your phone.
"Which one is his number? He needs to come to fetch you home. I don't know the way to your house."
"My boyfriend? Hmm.. This." You point.
"That's my number! This crazy.." He nudges you away. You grab the bottle he had taken from you and running away while downing it again.
"Hey!" He runs after you, catching you by the waist before you can get any further. You squeal. He tries to snatch it back but sadly you already finish it all. He lets go of your waist. You dance around because you're feeling good, "Yonghyunie pabo pabo pabo."
"Yoori!" He catches you before you fall on the ground. You are now unconscious. Your head is on his right chest. Brian picks you up, bridal style. You look so vulnerable in his arms.
"You're so small..." He mutters.

 

"I'm not!" You stood in front of him, face-to-face. "As a girl, I'm pretty tall."

"Pretty and tall? Yes, yes. I can't disagree to that."
"Am I?" You blushed. "But as a guy, don't you think you are too short?" You joked.
"But we're both 158cm! What do you mean I am too short? If I'm short then you are short too."
"You're a boy!"
"You are, too!"
"Excuse me?"
"Yoori hyung!"
You slapped his arm.
"One day, I'll be taller than you." He fixed your bang.
"I guess. You know, people always says Yoora has grown taller but I still see her as a baby. Maybe because I see her every day,  I don't feel it." You said. "Maybe one day when you grow taller, I won't notice because I'll see you every day anyway."
"Wow, Shin Yoori!"
"What?"
"Does that mean you'll be with me for years?"
"Of course. We should be together forever."
"Don't regret that. I'll kill you if you ever leave me." He joked.
"Sure. Kill me if I ever leave you." You said it loud and proud.

"Should I kill you now?" He stares at your face as he puts you down on the back seat of his car.