The ONE That Got Away

We Were In Love


"Morning," You are flipping the half-cooked pancake in the pan when Yoora kisses your cheek.
"Morning! Why are you awake so early?" You turn to look at her. She open the fridge, taking out a carton of fresh milk.
"I've mock test today. I want to do quick revision before go to school." She grabs a glass then takes a seat near the dining table.
"I need to go back to the office after this. Eat your breakfast before go to school, okay?" You remind her. She nods.
"You look so tired. You should've slept instead of preparing my breakfast." She says.
"Nah, I'm fine." You place the pancakes onto a plate. "I need to go and get ready to work. Good luck!" You kiss the crown of her head. "Remember to have your lunch and dinner on time. Make a good use of the card I gave you."
"But unnie,"
"No buts. I love you." 
"I love you too." She sighs. 

 



You are running toward the elevator. You're lucky you've your hair in low ponytail or else you hair will get really messy. Your chest rises up and down rapidly when you get into the elevator, trying to catch your breath.
You received a text from a senior editor, Wooyoung, telling you to hurry up. You actually forget that you've to be at work earlier than usual because the new executive editor will start working today. It's a tradition for any new staff to be introduced to every single staff under editorial department.
"Why are you so late?" Yeeun, one of the coworkers whispers to you when you arrive. You bow to her with apologetic expression.
"What's his name?" You ask softly. Other staffs are chatting with the person who is back facing you.
"Brian Kang. Apparently, he just came back from Canada."
"Mr Kang, how old are you?" A staff named Junho asks.
"I'm 24. Please, just call me Brian." The man says. You eye his movement. You are yet to see his face.
"Wow, you're as young as our youngest assistant editor!"
"Really? Which assistant editor?" He turns around, looking for the said person. You are startled when Yeeun pushes you to the front. You are now right in front of him. His furrows his eyebrows when he sees you. 

 

"Shin Yoori!" He called your name.
"What?" You glared at him. He forgot your birthday so you had no intention to forgive him any time soon. He pulled you into his warm hug. You tried to resist but he held you tightly so you could not help but surrender.
"I lied."
"About what?" You looked at him. He was the same height as you so you did not have to look up to look at him.
"Actually, I remember your birthday. I even got you a present!"
"Really? What is it?" You beamed at him. 
"It's in my pocket." He said. You put your hand into the pocket of his blazer.
"There's nothing!" You pouted.
"The pocket of my pant."
"You ert!" You punched his chest playfully. He laughed.
"That's not what I mean, silly!" He pinched your cheeks.
"Take it out." You instructed. He put his hand in the pocket of his pant and showed you a finger-heart.
"That's lame!" You punched his chest again. He hugged you again.
"I'm sorry but I'll take you out for dinner tonight. Happy 18th birthday, baby. I love you, Shin Yoori." He tightened his arms around you.
"I love you too, Kang Younghyun."

 

"Kang Younghyun..." You blurt it out louder than intended. He suddenly clears his throat.
"Hi, I'm Brian Kang." He holds out his hand. You fake a smile, taking his hand. You're sure he does not remember you at all.
"I'm Shin Yoori. Nice to meet you." The warmth of his palm feel so pleasant on your skin. He squeezes your hand firmly.
"Er.. Brian. You guys have been holding hands for too long." Junho says. You immediately pull your hand back. You bow and get back to your spot earlier.
"Are you interested in her?" Another senior editor, Chansung, teases. Brian laughs.
"I'm engaged." He smiles. 
"I've no luck with any young and handsome guy! I hate life!" A female staff, Min, whines loudly. Everyone laughs at her. Except you.

 


 

"Let's have lunch together!" Brian announces loudly the moment he comes out from his closed space. As an executive editor, he has his own room. Few senior editors agree while other staffs are too busy to go for lunch. Few minutes after they left, other staffs asks you to run an errand like usual. As the youngest, you are obligated to do as asked. You collect the money for them while memorizing their orders.
You're waiting in the Ediya near your work place when someone pat your shoulder from behind.
"Oh, sunbae-nim! Have you eaten?" You ask.
"Yeah. Brian treated us just now. Have you?" Wooyoung is with Brian and other senior editors. Your heart thumps faster when he looks directly into your eyes.
"Not yet. I'll go and grab something at GS25 later." The pager in your hand buzzes. "I got to go," You walk to the counter to pick up the drinks.
"She's doing an errand," Wooyoung tells Brian. "Can you treat her to lunch? She has been working overtime for three days yet haven't had proper meals. I've to go back to office to finish my work."
"Yeah, sure. Can you help her with the errand?" 
You are walking toward the exit when Wooyoung stops you. You look at him, clueless. "Let me take these." He takes the drinks from you. 
"Why?" Wooyoung ignores your question, walking away.
"Shin Yoori." You hear his voice. 
"Yes?"
"Wait there." He says before goes to the counter with the staffs. He pays for their orders before walking back to you.
"Let's go."
"Where? Why? Hey!" You squeal when he suddenly drags you out of the cafe.

 


 

"I'll have something simple." You say as you browsing the the menu. He snatches the menu away from you.
"Give her a set of yukgaejang with a bowl of rice. And a glass of citron tea." He tells the waiter. The waiter nods before walking away.
"But my lunch break is almost over!" You are supposed to yell it out but it sounds weaker than you thought. You want to say something more as a protest but you realize that he is your superior.
"I'm sorry." You lower your head. The waiter comes back with your meals. She serves it in front of you before excuses herself. Your stomach grumbles at the sight of the delicious food. You usually only have a quick bite for lunch. It's either sandwiches or Korean rice rolls.
"Thanks for the food." You say before digging in. He stays quiet when you're eating. You are almost done when he decided to say something.
"It's surprising that you still remember me." He says, out of sudden. You cough when you feel the food you're eating stuck in your throat. You take a sip of your drink to ease your throat. There's burning sensation in your nose.
"You do remember me..." You look at him.
"Of course. How could I forget you?" He says it sarcastically. You suddenly lost your appetite. However, you continue eating because he is staring intensely at you. You don't know how to react to what he said.
"Are you afraid of me?" He asks when you avoid eye contact with him.
"N-no." You shake your head once. He snickers.
"You used to be so bold and confident. It's unbelievable how passive you've became." He says, eyeing every movement you make.
"Let's get back to work." You stand up. He follows your trail.
"Do you have a boyfriend?" He asks, walking by your side.
"I do." You simply answer.
"Good. Is he better than me?" There's sarcasm in his voice. You don't want to answer that question.
"Do you live with your parent?" He asks another question.
"It's none of your business." You say through gritted teeth. It's obvious that he wants to make you feel miserable.
"Why?" He laughs. "We're colleagues. I want to know more about you. I'm a newbie, remember?"
"Please. Stop it, Brian." You are tearing up. The office suddenly feels so far away.
"So I'm not Younghyun?" He jokes. You are so embarrassed that you could not stop the tears from falling down your cheeks.
"Why are you crying? Are you hurt? I'm hurting more. I thought I had forgiven you, Yoori. But no, I now realize that I still hate you."