Dear Canary (17.2.17)

One Story Per Week Writing Challenge

Dear Canary,

I know it isn’t for you to accept all of this especially when I have been keeping this secret for you. I guess you knew long enough that something was amiss with me. I admit that I try to put a good act because the last thing I wanted was for you to worry about me or the worst, to hurt you.

I never lie when I say you were my sun. You shine as bright as a canary in a cold mine. I never meant to drag you down in anyway way and I apologize for my actions. I will go back in time just to stop myself from hurting you, but I guess I kill you before it killed me.

I’m sorry, but not really. I know lying is the most fun anyone could have, but this is not the reason why I choose to do so. The truth hurts worse than anything I could bring myself to do to you. Many thoughts go through my head when it came for me. I tried to be tough and fight it, but I’m always too weak.

I know my departure is sudden as the short fated life of a canary in a cold mine. Always remember that you’re the canary and I’m the coal mine. You brought colour and happiness to my pitch dark life. Don’t recall my departure as it hurts me to see you unwell.

It might be easy for me to say this since I’m gone, but do remember the good times that we have. It might be something hard to do, but let me help you a little bit. One of my most cherish memory is the one where we first met. Do you remember the way I held your hand under the lamp post and ran home this way? Those were the last few images that I wish flash before me when I close my eyes forever.