Matthew's Background (OC) (4.2.17)

One Story Per Week Writing Challenge

Matthew Alexander Cohen is one of the many angels that has descended on earth. He was extremely good friend with Bertrand before he become my family’s guardian. He isn’t a fallen as he still retain his wings, but he doesn’t stay on heaven anymore. He isn’t a watcher either as he wasn’t given the task of watching over humanity, but rather, he drifted down here to be with Bertrand. He is an angel without a cause that ended up on earth.

They were good friend way before Bertrand took the vow to be my family’s guardian angel. I am unsure about Betrand’s past before he became a guardian angel as all I know is that he became my family’s guardian angel through a very strong magical contract and a reincarnation spell. All of this information came from Matt and no one else.

Somewhere along the line, Bertrand met my ancestor and somehow, they are bounded to each other. Matt did say that the magic my ancestor used to bind Bertrand to their next of kind is so strong that Bertrand will always find his way back to my kind no matter how far he has drifted, or in simply say, being reincarnated. He told me that Bertrand was a Chinese in one of his life and somehow, as if it was destined and planned, he found my ancestor and became a part of our family.

Despite the magical binding spell that somehow attracted Bertrand back to my ancestor every life-time, there was absolutely no trace or memory of such a person exist in my family. Maybe it skip a few generation or my ancestor want to keep this a secret, but I only knew that I have an angel bound to me through my ancestor because of Matt’s arrival.

Regardless of how many lifetime it has been, Matt was able to find Bertrand. Matt could have just wait patiently for Bertrand to drift back to my family as he is bond to us, but he choose to find Bertrand when he is still drifting back to us. Matt somehow is able to track down Bertrand soul, not sure how that works, but I assume it could be that Matt recognize Bertrand’s soul as they were this close or that Matt put a somewhat “tracking device” on Bertrand’s soul which make it easier to find him.

In this lifetime, they found each other when Bertrand was sailing through the world. Not particular sure where or how they met, but they met during their sailing trip. Bertrand did not bring Matt home the first time he came back to my house after his first long sailing trip, but he brought Matt home the second time he went on his semi long sailing trip.

Bertrand just introduce Matt to us and we just get along with it. We didn’t really ask much about Matt and why he is here as it’s Bertrand’s choice to keep him here, but most of us dubbed Matt as Bertrand’s “son’. They both stay at their house next to us, but they do hang out with us on our side of the house most of the time except night time.

Despite giving me hard time, he would never look at me straight in the eye. When he does, it’s always full of hate. I guess it stem from the fact that he think I’m hogging Bert all the time. The truth is, I never hog or bound him. I always had set him free, but Matt doesn’t see it that way. I hope times can change his perspective toward me.

I’m quite glad that at this point, Bert has his own house even though it’s next to mine and that we share the backyard of this two houses together. It definitely would be extremely unpleasant if Bert is still staying in my house as Matt would be way more difficult to handle than he is now as he think I actually hog Bert all the time. The house provide them the intimacy that Matt wanted and some free time for myself with my children.