“What can I do to make you happy?”

Mr. Different

Narrator’s POV

                Ka na smiled and grabbed Key’s hand. They exited Key’s department store as they walked out into the rest of the mall. She liked the feel of his soft, warm hands around hers, and how he happily swung their locked arms together. Slowly, but surely, she knew she was starting to fall for him even more. But Key acted like this with everyone right? There was no way that he would share the same feelings of holding hands or having contact with each other. Therefore, Ka na decided she wouldn’t think too much of Key’s rash decisions or actions.

                “Ah,” Ka na stopped in front of a store, still holding onto Key’s hand. Key noticed her pulling and turned around.

                “What is it?” he asked.

                Ka na didn’t answer. She stared at the shoes that Hye mi wanted. She sighed knowing now there was no way that she could get them for her now. Key stared at Ka na, and then followed her gaze to the shoes. She seemed like she wanted them desperately.

                Feeling bad about what happened, Key grabbed them and looked at her, “You want these?”

                Ka na’s eyes widened and said, “No! No I don’t…”

                “You sound like you do.”

                “You…don’t understand,” Ka na put her head down.

                “You seem bothered…” Key said.

                Ka na nervously laughed and mentally hit her head. She thought about why she didn’t buy them earlier. At least she could have spent the money on something nice for her friend.

                “Yah, Kim Ka na,” Key said.

                She looked at him, “What?”

                “Are you okay?” Key asked and placed the shoes back down.

                “Ohh…neh…I am.”

                There was a bit of silence.

                “Stop lying to me!” he shouted, causing Ka na to jump. “What’s wrong? It’s Christmas, be happy!”

                “You think I can be happy?” she talked back, as Key realized her eyes had become glossy from tears.

                Key shut up and watched her intensely. He noticed his tone of voice, and felt extremely sorry. He didn’t want to see Ka na like this; she was about to cry and ruin her makeup. Sighing, he grabbed Ka na and held her tightly against him. Ka na looked shocked but then started bawling on his shoulder.

                “Key…you pabo…” she cried.

                “Sorry…” he murmured softly. “Ka na-ah…tell me.”

                “What?”

                “What can I do to make you happy? I didn’t mean to yell…I just…I just don’t want you to be like this.”

                Ka na stopped crying and felt her heart and stomach feel funny. She abruptly broke the hug between the two and thought to herself, “I’m such an idiot! Why do I like him more and more?”

                “Why?”

                “Huh?” Ka na wiped the tears from her eyes.

                “Why…” Key paused. Why did you push me away? Why don’t you want me to be close to you? Why can’t you see I like you? “W-why won’t you tell me what will make you feel better?”

“Damn, I’m such a coward,” Key thought as he failed to ask the questions he actually wanted to ask and clasped his hands.

                “You don’t need to,” Ka na said.

                “But why?!” he raised his voice.

                “Fine then!” she raised her voice as well. “I want those shoes! Okay?!”

                Key grabbed the pair of shoes and said, “As long as it does.”

                Ka na scoffed and crossed her arms. She still felt a bit of anger towards him yelling at her and his lack of sympathy, but she figured that he wouldn’t understand anyway. Whether or not she acknowledged it, he was acting just like a rich brat.

                “Here,” Key handed the bag stiffly to Ka na.

                She took it with a glare and said, “I’ll pay you back when I get a job.”
                “That’s your Christmas present!” he said. “You don’t need to.”

                “And why are you getting me a gift?” she asked.

                “Because—” Key choked on his answer. He still wasn’t able to say it; Key cared for Ka na and felt bad and that he had fallen for her. “Ah—forget it, if you don’t want it then—” Key reached for the bag.

                Ka na moved away and said with wide eyes, “Wait. I want it.”

                Key laughed at Ka na’s aegyo and said, “I don’t understand you.” He started walking back to the department store.

                “You’re the one I don’t understand you stupid flirt,” she made a scowl and murmured before following him back.

               

-------------------------------------------

 

                The Christmas party was extravagant and beautiful. The house at night looked even more amazing as the lights illuminated the snow and the scenery.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lp2wrlU6Zl1qcc5n5o1_500.jpg

                “Alright! Let’s open the presents!” Key’s mother excitedly said as presents were passed out to each person.

                “Okay! Who goes first?”

                “Taemin! He’s the youngest!”

                The night went on as everyone opened their presents happily and cheerfully.

                It was Hye mi’s turn. She started opening everyone else’s presents before Ka na’s, knowing she wanted to save the best for last. Ka na kept looking back at Key, wondering how he would react to her giving the shoes that he bought to Hye mi.

                “And these two are from Ka na,” Hye mi smiled and thanked Ka na.

                “Eh? Why are there two?” Key’s mother asked.

                “Oh, because one is for Christmas and the other is for my birthday,” Hye mi answered.

                “When’s your birthday?” Onew asked.

                Hye mi blushed and answered a bit quieter, “Tomorrow.”

                “Oh but it’s Ka na’s birthday tomorrow too!” Hye mi then brightened. “We’re only one hour apart!”

                Key instantly looked at Ka na. Ka na looked back and nervously smiled.

                “Omo!” Hye mi said, covering with her hands. “Ka na unnie-ah! How-how did you get these?!”

                Hye mi took the shoes out of the bag and started flushing red due to excitement. She went over to Ka na and hugged her tightly.

                “Thank you so much unnie! I loveyou!!!” Hye mi jumped in joy.

                “Ah—no…no problem,” Ka na smiled.

                “Key…where are you going?”

                Ka na watched as Key walked out into the balcony. Damn it…I was really hoping he wouldn’t react like that, she thought to herself.

 

-----------------------------------

 

Narrator’s POV

 

                “Ah, sorry,” Ka na bowed. “I’ll be right back. I’ll go check up on Key. Please, just skip me and continue unwrapping the presents.”

                Ka na slowly opened the balcony door and cringed, hoping that Key wouldn’t yell at her. She slid herself next to Key and looked at him.

                “Ah…Key…about the shoes…”

                “Why are you here?” he interrupted.

                “What?”

                “Do you think this is going to make me feel any better?”

                “Hey…you said that you were going to buy them for me…” Ka na said.

                “FOR YOU!” he yelled. “I bought them for you!”

                Ka na could feel the stares of the people inside looking at the two of them, wondering why Key was angry. Ka na bowed to Key and said, “I’m sorry. That’s why I said I’m going to repay you.”

                “I don’t care about the money,” he looked at Ka na. “It’s the thought that I believed had counted. But instead you just gave it to your friend!”

                “But—,” Ka na was hesitating about what to say. “You asked me what would make me happy…”

                “You’re such an idiot Ka na!” Key blurted. “You don’t get it!”

                “I don’t—”

                “Do I have to say it out loud?” he took a step closer to Ka na. Ka na grabbed onto the balcony’s railings.

                “S-say what?” she asked. Her heart was beating faster and she was blushing mad, although the cold wind made up for it.

                “I…” Key leaned even closer to Ka na. “I did all of that because,” Key leaned close enough to her to see himself in her eyes.

“You…I like you,” Key finally managed to say.

                “Key…” Ka na murmured. She started to tear up.

                     "...Whatever," Key turned around.

                Acting on a whim, I grabbed his hand and said, “Why couldn’t you just tell me that before?! And I thought I was the only one…”

                Key looked at Ka na surprised. “...You. Y--you…me…”

                “I do like you Key,” she finished. “I like you a lot.”

 

                Both of them smiled as there was a comfortable silence between them. The cold wind was actually rather cooling now and the snow was beginning to fall again.


                Key offered her his hand and said, “Ahh…I’m not mad anymore~”

                Then he glared, “Don’t do that again though. If you wanted to buy your friend a present, just tell me. “

                “O-okay…” Ka na smiled, still shaking—not from the cold, nor the snow, nor the icy railings, but from Key’s words. She took his hand and they headed to the balcony door—

—which was crowded by everyone who was inside. They were clapping and cheering, making Ka na blush. She tried pulling away, but Key held onto her hand tightly. Even Onew was smiling, as he placed his arms around Hye mi.

“Shall we make them happy?” he said to Ka na.

“What?” she looked at him, confused before Key closed in.

Key’s lips touched Ka na’s ever so gently as they could hear people screaming in excitement on the other side of the door. Key smiled as his forehead was against Ka na’s, and their hands still linked together.

“Merry Christmas, Ka na,” Key said.

Ka na blushed and laughed. “I like this present a lot more.”
 

------------------------------------------------------------

yayyyyy ~ okays, one last chapter ^-^